Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Under 20 2019 6 Nations and World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Baird playing 6 in the last two games will probably be good for his development in the long run, having a player with the second row physicality thats able to get around the pitch like a 6 is a very useful thing to have. Him and Ryan are a very rugby smart second row partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

I'd rather take a punt on Charlie Ryan or Baird than keep Molony. Let Molony go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'd rather take a punt on Charlie Ryan or Baird than keep Molony. Let Molony go elsewhere.

Drop a fella who we've invested years developing who has 82 senior appearances and has captained the team for fellas who have completed one year of the academy?

That's a bizarrely short sighted statement.

If they can perform to the standard, they will start over Molony. He does not need to be elsewhere for this to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Drop a fella who we've invested years developing who has 82 senior appearances and has captained the team for fellas who have completed one year of the academy?

That's a bizarrely short sighted statement.

If they can perform to the standard, they will start over Molony. He does not need to be elsewhere for this to happen

Hardly short sighted when Molony hasn't done much whatsoever since he had a very good season or two a few years back. We've just let Kearney and Nagle go so he may well be kept on like you say, I would expect the two of them to pass him out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Buer wrote: »
    I think Charlie Ryan is really flying under the radar relative to the likes of Baird. I thought he had a fantastic tournament, a really gritty and efficient performer who has done a solid job throughout. He doesn't have the dynamism of someone like Baird but he has a great engine and reminds me a little of someone like Leo Cullen.

It's unusual for someone of his profile not to already be in the academy. He's a 2 year member of the U20 squad which is fairly good company straight away as well as captaining the side to the Grand Slam title and at the JWC.

With Dunne, Dowling, Baird, Ryan and Molony all being present at Leinster for years to come and opporunities potentially being limited, I'd expect that the other provinces are already in touch with Charlie Ryan. Munster would be a very interesting option for him if they made an approach, I'd have thought.

Brian deeny will be coming into the academy next year aswell for leinster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Does anybody know who the backrow options are for next year?

I know Mccann is eligible again, Clohessy,

Am I right that we might be fairly light there next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Purist98

McCann, Ciaran Booth, Mark Hernan, Anthony Ryan, Sean O'Brien and Cian Prendergast were the back rows who played Ireland u19s this season

McCann banbridge/ulster u19, booth sale u19, Sean Obrien Blackrock/leinster u19, Anthony Ryan trinity/leinster u19 , Mark Hernan st michaels/leinster u19 , Ryan Oneill Armagh/ulster u19, Cian Prendergast ucd/leinster u19, Cian Hurley cbc/ Munster u19, Alex Kendellen pbc/ Munster u18 , Daniel okeke ardscoil/ Munster u18, Will hickey st michaels/ leinster u18, Oisín mccormack garbally/connacht U18s, Diarmuid McCormack clongowes/connacht U18s , Donnacha Byrne Sligo/connacht u18

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 deecebackrow

Lucas44 wrote: »
    McCann banbridge/ulster u19, booth sale u19, Sean Obrien Blackrock/leinster u19, Anthony Ryan trinity/leinster u19 , Mark Hernan st michaels/leinster u19 , Ryan Oneill Armagh/ulster u19, Cian Prendergast ucd/leinster u19, Cian Hurley cbc/ Munster u19, Alex Kendellen pbc/ Munster u18 , Daniel okeke ardscoil/ Munster u18, Will hickey st michaels/ leinster u18, Oisín mccormack garbally/connacht U18s, Diarmuid McCormack clongowes/connacht U18s , Donnacha Byrne Sligo/connacht u18

Kendellan, Okeke, Hickey and D McCormack are all still in school next season so not options.

Booth's knee injury could mean he misses all of next season.

A lot of quality options at 6, not many at 7 or 8.

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Brian deeny will be coming into the academy next year aswell for leinster

sub-academy next season, probable academy season after.

• Advertisement

Hardly short sighted when Molony hasn't done much whatsoever since he had a very good season or two a few years back. We've just let Kearney and Nagle go so he may well be kept on like you say, I would expect the two of them to pass him out soon.

Molony just had a very good season for Leinster.

He isn't going anywhere.

Possible XV for next season:

1. Harry Noonan(Leinster)
    2. John McKee(Leinster)*
    3. Tom Clarkson(Leinster)*
    4. Brian Deeny(Leinster)*
    5. Tom Ahern(Munster)*
    6. Anthony Ryan(Leinster)
    7. Mark Hernan(Leinster)
    8. David McCann(Ulster)*
    9. Ben Murphy(Leinster)
    10. Jack Crowley(Munster)
    11. Aaron Sexton(Ulster)
    12. Mick O'Gara(Leinster)
    13. Hayden Hyde(Ulster)
    14. Andrew Smith(Leinster)
    15. Max O'Reilly(Leinster)*

* = previously capped by ireland u20

sub-academy next season, probable academy season after.

Nah he’ll be in academy after his second year of 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's mad, Ross Molony is a good player. But, I think the futelure locks will pass him by over the next couple of years. I hope Leinster take Ryan into the academy, if not I think he's bound for Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

If Molony can kick on from last season then he wont be going anywhere. Hes got a good deal of potential, is a bloody good line out operator and is already seen as a leader in the senior squad. He can actually step off both feet well to so if he can bring that bit more physicality I can see him becoming a very good player for us.

Still, it's a great conversation to be having given where we were several years ago at lock.

It's quite obviously short sighted.

You don't rate Molony. Fine

You're saying to cut him loose now for 2 players who've played 20 minutes of senior rugby between them?

How many players haven't lived up to their potential at senior level having being rated at U20's?

Hint: It's a lot.

Let's wait and see how the young fellas fare. Good performances will be rewarded

https://www.world.rugby/u20/news/429067
    England centre Cameron Redpath will appear at a hearing before an independent World Rugby Disciplinary Committee chaired by Alan Hudson (Canada) along with John Langford (former Australia player) and Sarah Smith (former Scotland player) in Rosario on 19 June, 2019 having been cited by Citing Commissioner Enrique Cazenave (Argentina) for biting Ireland hooker Dylan Tierney-Martin in breach of Law 9.12 in their match at the World Rugby U20 Championship in Rosario, Argentina, on 17 June, 2019.

Well that doesn't make for good reading.

Wont change the result if he's found guilty

Redpath accepted the citing. The Disciplinary Committee received evidence from Redpath, Tierney-Martin, the Ireland team doctor and the referee as well as submissions on behalf of the player in relation to the entry point. The Disciplinary Committee considered that this was a low-end breach of Law 9.12 which carries a 12-week entry point. The Disciplinary Committee considered the player’s previously clean record, early acceptance of his conduct, apology, youth and inexperience to reduce the sanction by the maximum 50 per cent to six weeks.

I'm sorry what??

This wont change the result and has no affect affect on my life but....

How is there a "low end breach" for biting? You've deliberately put your teeth around another person. A bloody 3 year old knows not to do that.

"Youth and inexperience" is just insulting to all involved...

"Sorry I bit him, but I'm 19 - barely a legal adult - I don't know what I am doing" how does this hold up??

And to get half shaved off? I know it's common place now but that is sheer and utter scumbaggery that should be shown no leniency.

Rugby is losing the run of itself with regards to citing and banning

Is Hayden Hyde elidgible for the squad this year?, wouldve thought he would be called in ahead of Ryan , I've heard hes a cracking player

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jmn51927

Is Hayden Hyde elidgible for the squad this year?, wouldve thought he would be called in ahead of Ryan , I've heard hes a cracking player

He will be under 19 this summer.

• Advertisement

Ah thought he was an u19

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mark_way

I'm sorry what??

This wont change the result and has no affect affect on my life but....

How is there a "low end breach" for biting? You've deliberately put your teeth around another person. A bloody 3 year old knows not to do that.

"Youth and inexperience" is just insulting to all involved...

"Sorry I bit him, but I'm 19 - barely a legal adult - I don't know what I am doing" how does this hold up??

And to get half shaved off? I know it's common place now but that is sheer and utter scumbaggery that should be shown no leniency.

Rugby is losing the run of itself with regards to citing and banning

Dry your eyes, mate. No-one got an ear bitten off.

mark_way wrote: »
    Dry your eyes, mate. No-one got an ear bitten off.

What does this antagonistic comment add to the thread?

5 posts in and you've already identified yourself as a pest.

Welcome back user who previously had an account deleted...

What does this antagonistic comment add to the thread?

5 posts in and you've already identified yourself as a pest.

Welcome back user who previously had an account deleted...

Your post came across as way over-dramatic. Did you even see the incident?

I'll ignore your ad-hominem.

mark_way wrote: »
    Your post came across as way over-dramatic. Did you even see the incident?

I'll ignore your ad-hominem.

While we're on the topic of ignore...

Won't be seeing you

While we're on the topic of ignore...

Won't be seeing you

Drama queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

jmn51927 wrote: »
    He will be under 19 this summer.

No he isn't, born in 2000.

https://www.ulsterrugby.com/2019/06/abbey-insurance-ulster-academy-2019-20-squad-announced/

gazump123 wrote: »

Can’t call up someone mid exams

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Number 137

New Zealand XV to play Ireland:

1. Oliver Norris - 6'4 - 122kg
    2. Shilo Klein - 5'9 - 106kg
    3. Fletcher Newell - 6'1 - 112kg
    4. Cullen Grace - 6'3 - 106kg
    5. Tupo Vaa'i - 6'6 - 118kg
    6. Kaylum Boshier - 6'2 - 100kg
    7. Jeriah Mua - 6'1 - 104kg
    8. Simon Parker - 6'4 - 109kg
    9. Taufa Funaki - 5'8 - 91kg
    10. Rivez Reihana - 6'3 - 94kg
    11. Leicester Fainga'anuku - 6'2 - 108kg
    12. Quinn Tupaea - 6'1 - 97kg
    13. Billy Proctor - 6'2 - 98kg
    14. Etene Nanai Seturo - 6'0 - 89kg
    15. Cole Forbes - 5'11 - 91kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Number 137 wrote: »
    New Zealand XV to play Ireland:

1. Oliver Norris - 6'4 - 122kg
    2. Shilo Klein - 5'9 - 106kg
    3. Fletcher Newell - 6'1 - 112kg
    4. Cullen Grace - 6'3 - 106kg
    5. Tupo Vaa'i - 6'6 - 118kg
    6. Kaylum Boshier - 6'2 - 100kg
    7. Jeriah Mua - 6'1 - 104kg
    8. Simon Parker - 6'4 - 109kg
    9. Taufa Funaki - 5'8 - 91kg
    10. Rivez Reihana - 6'3 - 94kg
    11. Leicester Fainga'anuku - 6'2 - 108kg
    12. Quinn Tupaea - 6'1 - 97kg
    13. Billy Proctor - 6'2 - 98kg
    14. Etene Nanai Seturo - 6'0 - 89kg
    15. Cole Forbes - 5'11 - 91kg

Based on what I have seen so far I will be very surprised if we can't win this one.

Advertisement