Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I’m not bringing his quality down at all.

I’m agreeing with the opinion of the Kerry managers who haven’t picked him- he’s a good player but there are better options.

Fitzmaurice is the only coach to win an AI and beat Dublin in any final since Jim Gavin took over.

Peter Keane has a good record wherever he has gone- these lads know a bit about football.

I agree players get better as they get older but, as I keep saying, there are lads not on the Kerry panel who are better than him.

I’ve been watching Cox play for years at club level and added to the list above I would include Conor Keane of legion as being a better option for Kerry.

What will be more interesting is to see will other players follow suit- BJ Keane has a granny from Cavan, jack savage has been shooting the lights out at club level this year and has relations in Westmeath. There’s prob a lot more lads like this

He won an AI while Gavin was Dublin manager but it was Donegal they bet in the final after Donegal had beaten Dublin in semi final.
    Isn't that Donegal defeat the only loss Gavin has incurred in championship football as Dublin manager?

Edit: My bad just remembered Kerry bet Dublin in league final which is what you were referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Not to turn this into a thread about Cox but if league form picked intercounty players then Donie Shine and Senan Kilbride would still be starting full forwards for Roscommon right now.

Shane Curran, Karl Mannion and Frankie Dolan were the key men (along with Kilbride) playing club All Ireland finals in Croke Park for St Bridgets in 2011-13 and all three were long retired at intercounty level.

But Cox has been in with the Kerry panel for a number of years and wasn’t picked- so they have taken a look at him.

Marc o Se, who is still involved down in Kerry, said that no one really batted an eyelid when he left.

Not that he’s not a good footballer but just that there are deemed to be a number of better options

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

One incident I was surprised at in the Ros game was that time the ball was going near the sideline and the Roscommon player threw it behind his back to a team mate. I couldn't believe Dessie Dolan was talking about it being a wonderful piece of skill when he literally threw the ball. Even the replay showed it was a throw.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I’ve been watching Cox play for years at club level and added to the list above I would include Conor Keane of legion as being a better option for Kerry.

Stoner wrote: »
    You wouldn't know though, I often go to club games and watch a county player and wonder how they were picked at all.

There are some of the Dublin players I've seen cleaned out at club level by lads that don't perform at county level or in training possibly, I don't know to be honest, there's a lot more to being an intercounty selector I guess.

We all know about the great club men who don't make the step up, but there are others that hold their best for the county colours too.

Jack McCaffery for Clontarf is a great example he is firefighting usually, trying to do everything on the pitch.
    The times he does attack he is normally too fast for his own teammates to receive one/two's etc.
    It is sort of funny too watch. It must be very frustrating for him.

As for Cox, jayus he is a fantastic player gave the Dubs loads of problems when they played Roscommon in Hyde Park.
    He was strong could turn, fast, the ball stuck to him when launched, kicked great scores.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭harpsman

See saint Sean blaming provocation for McCann acting the gurrier. No evidence, obviously. Was the fella who busted up Sean’s face in the club match provoked as well?

https://www.the42.ie/tyrone-tiernan-mccann-sean-cavanagh-4686368-Jun2019/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But Cox has been in with the Kerry panel for a number of years and wasn’t picked- so they have taken a look at him.

Marc o Se, who is still involved down in Kerry, said that no one really batted an eyelid when he left.

Not that he’s not a good footballer but just that there are deemed to be a number of better options

I think Cox may have been a victim of Fitzmaurices tendancy not to give players much of a chance.

He played guys early in the league then reverted to the tried an trusted for the relegation battles and championship.

Had PK come in a year earlier maybe Cox would have had a better chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I think Cox may have been a victim of Fitzmaurices tendancy not to give players much of a chance.

He played guys early in the league then reverted to the tried an trusted for the relegation battles and championship.

Had PK come in a year earlier maybe Cox would have had a better chance.

I heard Cox went to America for a summer a few years ago when he was on the fringes of the senior panel and it didn’t go down too well with Eamon. I don’t know if it’s true or not but it wouldn’t surprise me. Eamon had his favourites there is no doubt about it.

Either way he is a Roscommon player now and good luck to him.

With Kerry it’s around the middle eight where they are really struggling. I think if Cox was a midfielder putting in All Star performances for another county Kerry folk would be up in arms, as it is people I have spoken to seem genuine happy for him and proud that he is making an impact on the championship.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Players should be judged on their ability in inter county football and specifically the AI championship.

I have seen many players who were stand out players with their clubs, were brilliant in the national league and nowhere to be seen come championship when it came to a big game. Other players are sometimes the opposite, the bigger the game the better they play. Obviously its early in the championship, but Cox seems to be of the latter type. He's also done it in Sigerson Cup finals, where the standard would be reasonably high.

Kerry and their forwards did well in the league and may win the Munster championship. But its in Croke Park where it matters and many of the current Kerry forwards haven't exactly done it the last few years there.

But its good for the championship that players like Cox are helping other counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

I’m a Cork supporter and obviously I’m hoping for the best, but is anyone genuinely giving our football a chance on Saturday? Local rumours here suggest training is going fantastically and they’ve won some high profile challenge games. Just trying to gauge the mood honestly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    I’m a Cork supporter and obviously I’m hoping for the best, but is anyone genuinely giving our football a chance on Saturday? Local rumours here suggest training is going fantastically and they’ve won some high profile challenge games. Just trying to gauge the mood honestly.
    Wouldn't give Cork a chance myself. Kerry are beatable but can't see anything other than a comfortable Kerry win sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd say getting within 7 or 8 would be really good progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I'd find it very difficult to imagine a scenario where Cork could win this game, but think they can be more competitive than people think. Bigger picture should be trying to reach the Super 8's, not an unreasonable target depending on the draw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

At the end of the day it's a Munster final and Cork have a massive point to prove after recent matches with Kerry. It looked like game on last year in the first 10 minutes until Cork just seemed to collapse. They seem to really have got their act together after a poor league and like you said have won some challenges, most notably beating Dublin.

Honestly I am expecting it to be a tight game and I expect Kerry to win but I wouldnt be surprised if Cork win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Cork have a good chance but will come up a bit short. Don't think Kerry will make much of an impact on the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

If cork want to win, they will need a defensive system, man for man Kerry will beat them.

Cork looked extremely unfit last year, they are heading for division 3 next spring. I'm expecting Kerry to win by 5-8 points

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Cork beat full strength Dublin, Galway and Roscommon in recent challenges.

Cork might stay with Kerry for 50 minutes but Kerry will pull away and win comfortably by about 9 points.

If Cork get within 4-5 points of Kerry that will be progress. But its more likely Kerry will win by 9 or 10.

Same for Meath in Leinster, if they get within 10 points of Dublin its progress. If on the otherhand Dublin win by 15 or more points without leaving second or third gear, then the Leinster Championship will remain a joke for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

I fancy Cork tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Cork beat full strength Dublin, Galway and Roscommon in recent challenges.
    I wouldn't take much from challenges, they were poor in the league and got relegated.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PressRun wrote:
    I fancy Cork tbh.

Really?

Because of something you've seen ? an improvement?
    Or because you think Kerry wont care. If Kerry "show up" I see nothing but a kerry win. Haven't seen a lot (or enough to be honest) from Cork to suggest there's enough in them to beat Kerry.

Earlier I thought they might have it in them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Stoner wrote: »
    Really?

Because of something you've seen ? an improvement?
    Or because you think Kerry wont care. If Kerry "show up" I see nothing but a kerry win. Haven't seen a lot (or enough to be honest) from Cork to suggest there's enough in them to beat Kerry.

Earlier I thought they might have it in them

Just things I've heard through the grapevine. And it's a local derby and they're usually up for it.
    Now, I could be completely wrong and they'll get beaten out the gate the next day, but I think it could be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

PressRun wrote: »
    Just things I've heard through the grapevine. And it's a local derby and they're usually up for it.
    Now, I could be completely wrong and they'll get beaten out the gate the next day, but I think it could be a good game.

Also for me
    Based on absolutely nothing concrete
    I just have a feeling it’s going to be much much closer than people think .......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

PressRun wrote: »

Well it has been a local derby for a while now and with the exception of the drawn game in 2015 Cork have not really been "up for it" in the last few years.

Kerry are far from the finished article and have a lot of questions, but as one Cork person said to me today Cork are coming into this game on the back of beating the second worst team in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Cox has played 2 championship games on heavy pitches. He has played exceptionally well. However he isn't a major loss to Kerry in so far as Kerry have many players even at club level who can kick scores for fun like Cox. Scoring has never been an issue with Cox. I've seen him play 20+ games. A tight Man Marker or a Quick Corner Back who endeavours to get in front of him will shut him out of the game. Seán Andy is neither of these things. He tries to rough up Cox but play him from behind, which is a fine way to get him in the mood to score 5 points.

As the summer goes on, I expect to see his impact lessen as teams figure him out.

However this is coming from my knowledge of him when he was down in Kerry. Anthony Cunningham is a brilliant manager and may have found a spark in Cox that we haven't seen in Kerry. If so and he turns out to be an All Star this year, then more power to him. But he still won't be a loss for Kerry because he never produced anything like that in. Kerry Jersey at Senior Intercounty level. He was a great Junior Intercounty footballer and won 3 All Ireland's, and was scorer in chief on those teams. But at the higher level (up until now) he never produced.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Cox has played 2 championship games on heavy pitches. He has played exceptionally well. However he isn't a major loss to Kerry in so far as Kerry have many players even at club level who can kick scores for fun like Cox. Scoring has never been an issue with Cox. I've seen him play 20+ games. A tight Man Marker or a Quick Corner Back who endeavours to get in front of him will shut him out of the game. Seán Andy is neither of these things. He tries to rough up Cox but play him from behind, which is a fine way to get him in the mood to score 5 points.

As the summer goes on, I expect to see his impact lessen as teams figure him out.

However this is coming from my knowledge of him when he was down in Kerry. Anthony Cunningham is a brilliant manager and may have found a spark in Cox that we haven't seen in Kerry. If so and he turns out to be an All Star this year, then more power to him. But he still won't be a loss for Kerry because he never produced anything like that in. Kerry Jersey at Senior Intercounty level. He was a great Junior Intercounty footballer and won 3 All Ireland's, and was scorer in chief on those teams. But at the higher level (up until now) he never produced.

As I said previously - Marc O Se has said that noone in Kerry batted an eyelid at him leaving. He's a good footballer but always seemed a little bit below county level whenever I have seen him play over a whole season.

I don't understand the criticism of Cox from Kerry people.So far this year, he has played very well against Division 1 sides, Mayo and Galway, and Mayo beat Kerry in the League final where the Kerry forwards were very average/poor. In fact Kerry forwards have been poor against Mayo in most of their recent encounters.

So far in the championship, Kerry have played Division 2 or Division 3 teams and will play another Div 2 team in Cork.

But when it comes to playing Division 1 teams in the Super8s that's where questions will be answered. Kerry's record last year against Div1 teams in the Super8s wasn't great, and only for Clifford rescued them against Monaghan would have been worse.

Cox has proven himself in the championship against Div1 sides. What more do people want? I guess because he hasn't steam-rolled the likes of Clare and Tipperary there must be something wrong with him.

All I am reading about Cox here is that he played brilliantly against Mayo and Galway but because he couldn't outfox a cornerback in a game against South Kerry, he's no good. He was probably saving himself for bigger games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I don't understand the criticism of Cox from Kerry people.So far this year, he has played very well against Division 1 sides, Mayo and Galway, and Mayo beat Kerry in the League final where the Kerry forwards were very average/poor. In fact Kerry forwards have been poor against Mayo in most of their recent encounters.

So far in the championship, Kerry have played Division 2 or Division 3 teams and will play another Div 2 team in Cork.

But when it comes to playing Division 1 teams in the Super8s that's where questions will be answered. Kerry's record last year against Div1 teams in the Super8s wasn't great, and only for Clifford rescued them against Monaghan would have been worse.

Cox has proven himself in the championship against Div1 sides. What more do people want? I guess because he hasn't steam-rolled the likes of Clare and Tipperary there must be something wrong with him.

All I am reading about Cox here is that he played brilliantly against Mayo and Galway but because he couldn't outfox a cornerback in a game against South Kerry, he's no good. He was probably saving himself for bigger games!

They're never going to admit he could play for them now, even if they know he could.

They're never going to admit he could play for them now, even if they know he could.

I think Cunningham has managed to get the most out of Cox whereas other managers couldn't. Its possible a Kerry manager couldn't either. But for some reason he's doing his stuff now.

Lads it’s not criticism- saying that we agree with the decisions made by our selectors based on a large sample set of matches that we have seen is not criticism.

Everyone agrees that he’s a good player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Cork might stay with Kerry for 50 minutes but Kerry will pull away and win comfortably by about 9 points.

If Cork get within 4-5 points of Kerry that will be progress. But its more likely Kerry will win by 9 or 10.

Same for Meath in Leinster, if they get within 10 points of Dublin its progress. If on the otherhand Dublin win by 15 or more points without leaving second or third gear, then the Leinster Championship will remain a joke for years to come.

To be fair, the Leinster championship has always been more competitive than the Munster one, and remains so. It is Kerry first, Cork second, for all of the last century in Munster, while there have been periods of dominance by others in Leinster.

Arguably, if Dublin had been in a Munster Championship since 1888, they would have won the most All-Irelands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement