Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-03-2019, 14:40   #16
MartyMcFly84

Send a message via AIM to MartyMcFly84
Well done on trying out. Getting started is half the battle the other half is constancy.

The pain will be worst this time because you are not used to it. But its not like that all the time. You will certainly feel stiff after future sessions, (work on mobility) but it wont be as bad.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-03-2019, 19:17   #17
Whelo79

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag420 View Post
Just thought would drop in with an update...

I completed the "trial" last night. Its was fooking tough, I was well and truly beat when I finished and very sore today!

Having doubts if I would be able to complete this as I have given up on things before when they got too tough or I got too lazy, Military fitness/boot camps and that sort of thing!

Anyways I will wait to see if I am accepted and take it from there.

Thanks for all the motivational words so far, much appreciated!

frAg
The"trial" is generally the hardest part of the whole experience. They want to see the people who are willing to push themselves and not give up, they want to weed out the quitters, they want to see who is cruising, who has a bad attitude, who is unfit but willing to work hard.

There might be some few tough s&c sessions throughout the experience but none will come close to the trial for physical exhaustion.
28-03-2019, 22:46   #18
Mellor

The trial is tough. Trying to train like that 5 days a week would be a quick way to get injured.
16-04-2019, 06:54   #19
frag420

Just realising that this time next week I will be finishing my first W2W session!

I’m slightly bricking it now, loads of prep to do this week so I have no excuse, failing to prepare is preparing to fail and all that!

Did any of you guys eat before or after a morning session? Il assume a banana and some coffee would be ok 45 mins before a training session?
(2) thanks from:
16-04-2019, 08:25   #20
rob316

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag420 View Post
Just realising that this time next week I will be finishing my first W2W session!

I’m slightly bricking it now, loads of prep to do this week so I have no excuse, failing to prepare is preparing to fail and all that!

Did any of you guys eat before or after a morning session? Il assume a banana and some coffee would be ok 45 mins before a training session?
Yeah banana is my go too at that time before training
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-04-2019, 09:49   #21
Mellor

At that time I'd have nothing and eat after. I'd also try to stay in bed as long as possible.
Literally Alarm goes, get dressed, go to training
Thanks from:
16-04-2019, 15:14   #22
Whelo79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
At that time I'd have nothing and eat after. I'd also try to stay in bed as long as possible.
Literally Alarm goes, get dressed, go to training
Same. Id occasionally have a protein shake on the drive to the gym but I'd never eat any solid food.

You'll enjoy it mate, don't worry yourself about it. Go, work hard and have fun.
17-04-2019, 12:04   #23
MartyMcFly84

I used to go to early morning sparring before work quite regularly. I found empty stomach is best, might have some black coffee or a bit of prework out before I arrive if I was feeling particularly tired.

But last think you want is undigested food in your belly before intense exercise. I have said bye-bye to a few meals eating too close to training.

Would have a nice recovery breakfast or shake afterwards.
24-06-2019, 20:42   #24
frag420

Firstly apologies for the delay in coming back, I meant to update sooner but forgot all about it.

Anyways I am at the halfway mark. Noticing an increase in fitness but not as much as I would like and I have not lost too much weight. The reason being that on week three I got a chest contusion, we were doing some light shoulder tap style sparring and one of the guys got a bit ahead of himself, landed a punch on my upper chest and that was me out of action for 5 weeks. I was just about able to do the cardio and some of the S&C stuff but I could not do any grappling, BJJ, shrimping or stands, some pad work was ok. Was damn sore but I made sure I was going in regardless except for a few occasions when I was away with work or back home.

Anyways today was first day doing grappling/sparring and as luck would have it I crashed my chest down on one guys knee, thankfully not as bad as the first time but I couldn't continue this morn. Il be back tomorrow and I have no other commitments between now and the fight in Sep so no excuses not to go in every day.

Need to sort out the diet too!

Lastly, can anyone recommend a good pair of MMA shorts but with one caveat, there can't be a drawstring, I can very sensitive scar tissue on my tale bone and a drawstring aggravates it when I am on my back as it digs in. Can one get velcro shorts without a string?

Hope to be a bit more frequent with the updates too...not long lef!!

frAg
Advertisement
24-06-2019, 23:14   #25
Mellor

Most shorts I've owned come with a string and velcro. Should work fine with the string removed
Thanks from:
25-06-2019, 12:47   #26
MartyMcFly84

You can go for a pair of vale tudo style shorts. No draw strings or velcro. Chanel the inner Wanderlei Silva
(2) thanks from:
25-06-2019, 16:23   #27
frag420

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFly84 View Post
You can go for a pair of vale tudo style shorts. No draw strings or velcro. Chanel the inner Wanderlei Silva
Yeah I aint there yet...will consider for the future though haha!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion