Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 236 Holloway vs Poirier 2 ***April 14th***

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Great fights though

Sure, and they still would be without a stupid belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Mellor wrote: »
    Happy for no performance bonuses and a double fight of the night.
    And that's exactly what happened!
    Also Max and Dustin are a pair of class acts

https://twitter.com/Sascha_pm/status/1117325191183355904

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Just watched it all.

Both title fights were unreal. Can’t remember there ever being two back to back 25 minute wars like that.

Kelvin will have regrets watching the replay. He had Adesanya badly rocked and had 45 seconds left to finish and went for a takedown. Was a big mistake. Adesanya put in a savage final round though and made sure of the win.

Dustin and Max lived up to the hype. I’ve been a huge Dustin fan for a long time, absolutely delighted for him. Haven’t been that emotional over a fight since Conor beat Mendes. He really deserves his moment of glory.

I’d rather he got the money fight v McGregor next to set him up for life. He would still be well paid vs Khabib as well so it’s a huge win for him. Will have been about 3 years since Conor’s last win if they fight this year while Dustin has been taking out killers. I’d fancy him to beat him Conor now and would be rooting for him to do so.

His power and striking would cause Khabib problems as well if he could stay on his feet. His BJJ is no joke either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The Nal wrote: »
    These interim belts are bullsh1t. Devalues the real belt. Embarrassing getting them put on. Whats wrong with number 1 contender?

It is absolutely farcical but the ramping up of these is due to the new UFC owners having a policy of a belt having to be on the line for every pay-per-view. Unfortunately they also have a policy of setting up super fights between their various champions. The combination of these two policies results in them having to create new belts when they don't have any champions available to headline an upcoming card.

On the plus side, the fighters get more money when they are interim champs. On the minus side, as Tony Ferguson and Colbey Covington learned, they might never even get to fight as the interim champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Keep the interim belts coming I say. Chances are with no belt on the line last night at least one and maybe both of those fights would only have been 3 rounders.

2 epic battles. I would like to see Max fill out a bit and stay at 155. The size and power difference was obvious and you can see how Dustin has settled into 155 after the few years fighting at that weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I hate interim belts

But nowhere near as much as the new belt design

The new belt design reflects my feelings towards interim belts

It's the sort you'd make as a pisstake in a UFC game on the PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I'm not a fan of these interim belts either but looking at what it meant to
    poirier I don't mind them so much and am just delighted he got it for all his hard work over the years, those wars
    against justin and eddie did him the world of good
    almost feels like bisping all over again when only bisping had more fights to get the belt

can't believe those last two fights back to back, nothing comes close in any other sport for me

I'm not sure he can take khabib but I'd love to see him have another
    crack at conor some day

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It is absolutely farcical but the ramping up of these is due to the new UFC owners having a policy of a belt having to be on the line for every pay-per-view. Unfortunately they also have a policy of setting up super fights between their various champions. The combination of these two policies results in them having to create new belts when they don't have any champions available to headline an upcoming card.

What champion v champion superfights have set up?
    There's literally only been two fights, and in both cases fighter relinquished the belt. I don't see how that has anything to do with interim belts.

Kelvin was due to fight Whitaker, who pulled out last minute. The champ isn't available to defend, and interim is justified imo. Had Isreal stepped in on the night, it would have been interim title.

The LW one is bull**** though. They'll use the Khabib ban as the excuse, but he wouldn't have been fighting anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Mellor wrote: »
    What champion v champion superfights have set up?
    There's literally only been two fights, and in both cases fighter relinquished the belt. I don't see how that has anything to do with interim belts.

Kelvin was due to fight Whitaker, who pulled out last minute. The champ isn't available to defend, and interim is justified imo. Had Isreal stepped in on the night, it would have been interim title.

The LW one is bull**** though. They'll use the Khabib ban as the excuse, but he wouldn't have been fighting anyway.

Conor v Alvarez.
    DC v Stipe.
    TJ v Cejudo.
    Holloway v Porier
    Nunes v Cyborg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Keep the interim belts coming I say. Chances are with no belt on the line last night at least one and maybe both of those fights would only have been 3 rounders.

Why exactly? The UFC make their own rules. There is absolutely no reason why they can't have a headlining fight be 5 rounds without a belt. Sure didn't they do it with Conor vs Nate?

Interim belts are nonsense. And the idea that Max/Dustin/Kelvin/Israel wouldn't fight as hard without it is ridiculous. The big red goof said it post fight and I can't believe people are repeating it.

All four of them knew that winning meant a shot at the champion so none of them is taking the easy way out, fake belt or not. Not that they would anyway. The idea is absurd.

• Advertisement

Conor v Alvarez.
    DC v Stipe.
    TJ v Cejudo.
    Holloway v Porier
    Nunes v Cyborg
    Conor v Alvarez, and DC v Stipe were the two I referred to. (Conor being moving up to LW created Aldo’s UFC 200 interim but that was before new owners)
    Max v Poirier wasn’t champ v champ. Flyweight is gone (and so it TJ ), that fight didn’t create an interim.
    I wasn’t thinking of the Women to be honest. Fair enough. But I don’t think that led to an interim title either.

The interim titles recently have been at MW, WW and LW. None of the divisions with an champion was fighting in another division.
    MW was due to Whitakers injury. LW was due to Khabib suspension. I’ve no idea why the WW one came tbh. But the other two are fair given it’s c.12 months without a title fight.
    I think 12 months is a reasonable line in the sand.

Kirby wrote: »
    Why exactly? The UFC make their own rules. There is absolutely no reason why they can't have a headlining fight be 5 rounds without a belt. Sure didn't they do it with Conor vs Nate?
    I think he meant that, without the interims;
    Dustin v Max would have been a 5-round main event.
    Then Israel v Kelvin would have 3 rounds co-main.

There's definitely been silly interims in the past, but I think these are the wrong two to single out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Two amazing fights. There was a moment I think in R4 where Kelvin had Israel totally wobbled but went for the clinch instead of trying to finish him. That was his biggest mistake.

Porier has serious power compared to Max though. It would be absolutely fascinating to see either against McGregor, assuming McGregor gets back in optimal condition.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Two amazing fights. There was a moment I think in R4 where Kelvin had Israel totally wobbled but went for the clinch instead of trying to finish him. That was his biggest mistake.

I actually facepalmed when I seen him go for the takedown there. If he had kept going he could have ended the fight or at least hurt Israel bad going into the last round. I don't know what he was thinking.
    Porier has serious power compared to Max though. It would be absolutely fascinating to see either against McGregor, assuming McGregor gets back in optimal condition.

Yeah, McGregor against either of these two would be a cracking fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Kirby wrote: »

Interim belts are nonsense. And the idea that Max/Dustin/Kelvin/Israel wouldn't fight as hard without it is ridiculous. The big red goof said it post fight and I can't believe people are repeating it.

All four of them knew that winning meant a shot at the champion so none of them is taking the easy way out, fake belt or not. Not that they would anyway. The idea is absurd.

Indeed. They could just make every "number 1 contender" fight 5 rounds and ditch the sh1t belts.

Is Poirier going to wear his belt into the Octagon for the Khabib fight? He'll look like a right twat.

Would love to see Poirier vs McGregor at 155. First time out was a very soft finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

The Nal wrote: »
    Is Poirier going to wear his belt into the Octagon for the Khabib fight? He'll look like a right twat.

Nobody wears a belt into the octagon.

But no he wouldn’t. He’s worked his whole life to become a champion which he now is, regardless of what internet dweebs say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

mdwexford wrote: »
    Nobody wears a belt into the octagon

I always wondered why is that? Surely it adds to the spectacle of any entrance when you can see the champion wear the belt

I'd love to see it worn or held when the callouts are being made, and then its handed over to the ref or whoever outside the octagon, really emphasises the fact the belt is on the line

Part of me thinks it's to stay away from any pro wrestling comparisons

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

What a night Saturday was for Stylebender. I really think he was the big winner through all this. He beat a proper contender and did it in such a way that nobody can question his guile, his stamina or his champion heart.

It reminded me of Jones v Gus. Of course, Jones was already champ and absolutely hammering everyone. But nobody, Jones included, knew how he'd react under that kind of pressure. When you're getting beat up in a war and you have to dig deep to pull it out of the bag.

Stylebender proved a lot on Saturday, and like Jones did v Gus I'd imagine he proved it to himself too.

Can't wait to see him v Whitaker now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Interim belts provide:

5 round fights
    Guaranteed (almost) number 1 contender spot
    Champ vs Champ type excitement
    PPV points for the interim champ

As an aside to the fight analysis wanted to add - just so refreshing to see both of the below (sorry for the pics, can't edit out). Just what MMA needs right now: classy respectful athletes.

I love the sport and the potential - and this makes me proud. Not like some of the recent twitter shenanigans that just feels like a quick dead end for everyone longterm.

Woke up to watch both fights Sat/Sun, and was so hyped after I couldn't get back to sleep! So I went to the gym and for a long run Sunday on 3 hours sleep, I swear I was using these guys as inspiration to the whole way :D They did not get paid enough - I hope the "locker-room" bonuses doubled the official purses at least.

https://twitter.com/stylebender/status/1117778229534908416

https://twitter.com/DustinPoirier/status/1117486483420610561

• Advertisement
Advertisement