Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eileen 'Still to come...' Dunne RTE

• 25-05-2020 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭

Efficient. No fuss. Calm. A real pro. Solid as a rock.

But compared to, say Fiona Bruce? Would Eileen cut it on BBC News at Ten? There's no adds there so she'd have to stop saying 'Still to ..." . That might mean stretching herself more than just 'What happened today Tommy? She'd might even have to engage in robust questioning of politicians? Isn't it part of the job? Bruce has been doing that for decades. Can't remember Eileen ever once.

Comments

Yeah..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Is she the one whos face looks like shes just about to have a stroke with that droopy eye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Fiona Bruce was no-nonsense journalist asking all the tough questions on...Antiques Roadshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Your Face wrote: »
    Fiona Bruce was no-nonsense journalist asking all the tough questions on...Antiques Roadshow.

Not only fine newsreader but doesn't she host BBC flagship Question time?

Sam Hain wrote:
    Is she the one whos face looks like shes just about to have a stroke with that droopy eye?

For me that's not important. Is she part of the deadwood that drifts around RTE is more relevant.

• Advertisement

Didn’t her father work for RTÉ also?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Sam Hain wrote: »

She has a glass eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Revit Man

El Weirdo wrote: »
    She has a glass eye.

She does not.
    “I don’t know where it started. I’ve had letters from people saying, ‘I’m about to get a glass eye’. Years ago, it was said that [newscaster] Michael Murphy was in a wheelchair which wasn’t true either.

“What is true is I have a gammy eye. My left eye is practically blind. I have peripheral vision in it so if I close my right eye I couldn’t say who you are but I’d know there was someone sitting opposite me. It was detected when I was seven. I was rubbing my right eye one day and I started screaming ‘I can’t see, I can’t see’.”

She says it’s had no impact on her work. “I don’t know if it’s harder to read an autocue because I’ve known nothing else. It’s normal for me now.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/reading-bad-news-every-dayleaves-its-mark-on-rtes-eileen-dunne-364922.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Mick Dunne, Original Sunday game commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

What made you think of her OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

What made you think of her OP?

Her mediocrity and how she can survive with same in broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

bobbyss wrote: »
    Her mediocrity and how she can survive with same in broadcasting.
    Well its not like i could do better.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

She's been written off many times and come back to silence the critics.
    Donnybrook is littered with the gravestones of those who thought they could take her on.

Eileen's at her best when her back is up against the wall.

I think she's got an empathetic tone to be telling bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Archeron

I like her a lot, one of my favourite news readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

He did.

Mick 'its a goooal' Dunne.

Her husband also plays the best bad guy in a soap ever on Ros na Rùn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Eileen...

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Why does rte news always have "more on this" when they've just discussed the same item for the previous 5 mins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

But compared to, say Fiona Bruce? Would Eileen cut it on BBC News at Ten? There's no adds there so she'd have to stop saying 'Still to ..." . That might mean stretching herself more than just 'What happened today Tommy? She'd might even have to engage in robust questioning of politicians? Isn't it part of the job? Bruce has been doing that for decades. Can't remember Eileen ever once.

Fiona Bruce does my head in - is it her that's shaking her head or that other yoke with the glasses. I can't see why other lads find her sexy neither. I just can't see it.

Eileen is too sound for the BBC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

mick dunne , GAA broadcaster back in the day

shes married to the actor who plays Tadhg in ros na run

shes in the sean o rourke category for me , solid , reliable , nothing more than that

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    mick dunne , GAA broadcaster back in the day

shes married to the actor who plays Tadhg in ros na run

shes in the sean o rourke category for me , solid , reliable , nothing more than that

Quite a good commentator actually, just described the game no trying to be entertaining bs like you hear nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

El Weirdo wrote: »
    She has a glass eye.

That rookie RTE weather girl Siobhan Ryan has a gammy left eye that keeps flickering as struggles to do the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Miles above Fiona Bruce, who's closer to the likes of Mary Kennedy, she's a TV presenter they made read the news.
    Emily Matliss is probably the pick of the Beeb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

But compared to, say Fiona Bruce?

Fiona Bruce is too animated. Her head movements when trying to emphasise something annoys me greatly.

Watching the news you see Sharon ni Bheolin and that Perry presenter/journalist (forget her first name) and he co-host whose name I also can't place having a good robust interview with some politician or other. No quarter spared. Tough, perceptive questions.

Is it by accident that the days these tough interviews are the days when Eileen is not on duty? The only tough questions she asks are: What happened today at Stormont Tonmy? or and what did the Taoiseach say Tommy?

Has anyone seen Eileen having an interview, asking probing questions, accepting no waffle from senior politicians?

Are news presenters journalists?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Revit Man

You're really out for poor Eileen aren't you!
    She does a perfectly adequate job. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

She's a great newsreader

branie2 wrote: »
    She's a great newsreader

I agtee. Very professional. But isn't she a journalist also with a duty to ask questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Quite a good commentator actually, just described the game no trying to be entertaining bs like you hear nowadays

Can't be that long ago. D'Unbelievables are there at 02:20.

Yeah Stacks, Mick was good. He trusted in the game itself to deliver so no need for hype.

Advertisement