Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite piece of art you've seen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Seamai wrote: »
    Caravaggio's works, Saw his Seven Acts of Mercy in Naples last year in the chapel of a charitable foundation, it bizarrely features a young woman breastfeeding an old man through the bars of a prison window.

Roman charity :cimon and pero, many artists have depicted the scene. It's supposed to depict a daughter feeding her father who has been sentenced to death by starvation..... Rubens version is worth a look, once you get over the weirdness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Trevi Fountain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Roman charity :cimon and pero, many artists have depicted the scene. It's supposed to depict a daughter feeding her father who has been sentenced to death by starvation..... Rubens version is worth a look, once you get over the weirdness.

Any link to the Grapes of Wrath?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Ipso wrote: »
    Any link to the Grapes of Wrath?

A quick Google would suggest it is.

If you Google roman charity grapes of wrath together you will get a few links :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

i’ve been to galleries and museums all over the world but it’s amazing how pieces stay with you and you come to love some old familiar ones.

Both in out national gallery - I’ve always loved
    The Wounded Poacher

• Advertisement

i’ve been to galleries and museums all over the world but it’s amazing how pieces stay with you and you come to love some old familiar ones.

in our national gallery - I’ve always loved
    The Wounded Poacher

And the dark and sinister About to write a letter by our homegrown Yeats.

I went a few years ago to the Musee D’Orsay in Paris and got to see one of Van Goughs spectacular ( and HUGE) starry sky paintings - and it was like I’d been given haluciogenic drugs - it made your eyes keep trying to focus and refocus and so it looked as though the stars were spinning in the oainting - absolutely incredible. Apparently there’s some fancy science explination of you google it and his technique.

I also love The Eve of Saint Agnes in the Hugh Lane - also by Harry Clarke. A wicked piece of genius he had made for Mr Bowlands Biscuits who wanted a religious piece for the stairwell of his grand home on Merrion Square. Clarke came up with fantastical underwater scene around the borders and a nighttime sequence of goblins and fleeing lovers and nightwatchmen in a crepy castle - based loosely on his interpretation of the legend of the Eve of St Agnes where if you see your lover before midnight you are destined to marry them - unbelievable and pure solid genius. Well worth a Google !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Every time I get the chance to visit the Chester Beatty museum it just leaves me awestruck that such a mind blowing constantly changing exhibition of art is only a few hours drive away from my front door, it's ours and it's free.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The Wounded Poacher

ATWAL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

ATWAL

Are you ok?

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

Are you ok?

haha - was trying to get rid of .01 meg to post the image of About To Write A Letter - didn’t work!! Hope springs eternal!!

Every time I get the chance to visit the Chester Beatty museum it just leaves me awestruck that such a mind blowing constantly changing exhibition of art is only a few hours drive away from my front door, it's ours and it's free.

I used to work about aninutes walk away from itnand would have my lunch on its roofgarden and look down at the snake & the potter down through the collection - netsukes? Carved Jade pieces - incredible. What a man. They gave him an Irish Passport and citizenship in thanks. How times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I used to work about aninutes walk away from itnand would have my lunch on its roofgarden and look down at the snake & the potter down through the collection - netsukes? Carved Jade pieces - incredible. What a man. They gave him an Irish Passport and citizenship in thanks. How times have changed.

You're a very lucky person and he was indeed a great, great man.

Who knows, maybe some of the people we have recently bestowed citizenship to will be just as great if not greater.

Hope springs eternal.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Saw The Renowned Orders of the Night by Anselm Kiefer in the Guggenheim in Bilbao last year and was really taken by it

%60the-renowned-orders-of-the-night-by-anselm-kiefer-museum-collection-guggenheim-museum-bilbao-spain-PDBKHC.jpg

Photo doesn’t nearly do it justice but at least provides an idea of scale. I thought it was a starkly beautiful, thought-provoking piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I like Las Meninas (Spanish for 'The Ladies-in-waiting'), a 1656 painting in the Museo del Prado in Madrid, by Diego Velázquez:

The Prado in Google Earth: Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=22600614

800px-Las_Meninas%2C_by_Diego_Vel%C3%A1zquez%2C_from_Prado_in_Google_Earth.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I also like The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb

Lamgods_open.jpg

By Jan van Eyck - Web Gallery of Art:   Image  Info about artwork, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4484562

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Beksinki - just love his stuff...

god-of-death-moon-Zdzislaw-Beksinski-Artwork-Home-Decoration-art-work-painting-Print-On-Canvas-unframed.jpg

345484_9af86b8c09244f12844d7111b70e435d~mv2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Buck_rodgers

<<SNIP>>

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Great Wave off Kanagawa

One of the views of Mount Fuji by Hokusai it's a woodcut.

1200px-Great_Wave_off_Kanagawa2.jpg

https://collections.mfa.org/objects/177303
    https://collections.mfa.org/objects/334906 - lots more views

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ab4248

The Young Martyr - Paul Delaroche. Disturbingly beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think your fav art pieces reveal so much about us.

Mine change though.

Right now i like illustration.

Harry Clarke Madeline.

289d793679b102c4fd31e76dce1566a9.jpg

Dali.

f8ec61a1234b9fd8353e5f3fe784de6e.jpg

Chiara Bautista.

tumblr_nctegjOku81r532l8o1_1280.jpg

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Beksinki - just love his stuff...

I love him too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

I think your fav art pieces reveal so much about us.

Mine change though.

Right now i like illustration.

Harry Clarke Madeline.

289d793679b102c4fd31e76dce1566a9.jpg

Dali.

f8ec61a1234b9fd8353e5f3fe784de6e.jpg

Chiara Bautista.

tumblr_nctegjOku81r532l8o1_1280.jpg

Ah... you're a rare specimen (which is great!).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Third of May 1808 by Francisco Goya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I thought "piece of art you've seen" meant it should be one we've actually seen.

I nominate two: someone above cited "Las Meninas" - such a famous picture, seen on calendars and postcards and chocolate boxes. But I had never liked it much or taken any notice of the hype.

It's only when you see it in the flesh, in Madrid, that you realise how BIG it is - ten feet high by nine feet wide - and how very peculiar: the figures (what everyone looks at) are clustered in the lower third of it: the rest of the painting - square metres - are of dim shadowy ceiling and walls and a carefully painted image of the back of his own canvas.

It seems to be saying something but I don't know what: mesmerising.

https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/543317142527496041/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Geuze wrote: »
    I like Las Meninas (Spanish for 'The Ladies-in-waiting'), a 1656 painting in the Museo del Prado in Madrid, by Diego Velázquez:

The spanish really suffered for their fashion back in the day, that kind of clothing would be uncomfortable in a northern European summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The other was this Vermeer in New York: it doesn't look like much from a print. But see it in reality, and the pearly light, the expert, confident painting, seems to glow like a moment trapped from the dawn. Exquisite.

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/437881

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Do you have to be good at art or drawing to be an artist? Because I sometimes think up good concept ideas for a painting but obviously can't paint it.

• Advertisement

LeYouth wrote: »
    Ah... you're a rare specimen (which is great!).
    Ha thank you! :o

Advertisement