Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite piece of art you've seen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Belfast-mural-artwork-by-MTO.jpg?ssl=1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭Flavour Diaper

I don't know if it's my favourite painting, but it's certainly the most interesting painting I've ever seen. It's a shame it's in Madrid, as Spaniards are incapable of silence even in an art gallery.

Agreed. A contemptible race of people the Spanish, but I don't remember seeing or hearing any in the Museo del Prado. It is the rather ghoulish Japanese tourists that bother me.

An astonishing work though, the Garden of Earthly Delights. Brought me to tears.

Yester wrote: »
    I have never seen The Mask. Is it good?

I couldn't in good faith recommend it Yester. Try some Ingmar Bergman instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

jester77 wrote: »
    il_794xN.2054200129_2720.jpg

Angels blowing bubbles

Are we sure its the angels making those bubbles blow :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

51.jpg

viktor safonkin: wounded angel

quite subdued and small compared to his usual work, saw it in person in 2003.
    the angel almost glows off the canvas

• Advertisement

Many kindred spirits here. Very very heartening folks. I'm beaming from ear to ear :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Hieronymus Bosch

See new details every time you look at it.

1920px-El_jard%C3%ADn_de_las_Delicias%2C_de_El_Bosco.jpg

Love this! I still have my sketchbook from school with drawings from part of this work...
    Some 25 years ago or so... Eeeek! :O

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

photo_017.jpg?itok=9ZhY9yON

so-so until you realise it's 23,000 years old.

https://musee-archeologienationale.fr/objet/la-dame-la-capuche

• Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

Pfft...what have they done lately? Eh? Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

storker wrote: »
    Pfft...what have they done lately? Eh? Eh?

Nuthin.

Has beens.

Innit.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Maybe not my favourite but it left me a bit gobsmacked when I saw it. Lawrence Alma-Tadema - The Death of the Pharaoh’s Firstborn son, Rijksmuseum Amsterdam. It’s just so life like.

512636.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Maybe not my favourite but it left me a bit gobsmacked when I saw it. Lawrence Alma-Tadema - The Death of the Pharaoh’s Firstborn son, Rijksmuseum Amsterdam. It’s just so life like.

I've been to that museum many times and that is probably the least life like work of art in there.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I see and raise you 40,000 years old. :D

c3f6860259e260a632bcc716536a29f6--man-art--.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I see and raise you 40,000 years old. :D

c3f6860259e260a632bcc716536a29f6--man-art--.jpg

Egyptian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Egyptian?

From the website linked below:

"Discovered in the Hohlenstein Stadel in the Swabian Alps of southwest Germany, the Lion Man of Hohlenstein Stadel is the oldest known anthropomorphic animal carving. The 38,000 BC sculpture is the earliest discovered artwork in Europe to depict a male figure. The Hohlenstein Stadel is one of three caves to produce important paleontological evidence. The 11-inch Lion Man was carved using simple flint cutting tools. This outstanding piece was discovered in 1939 by archaeologist Robert Wetzel."

https://www.ancienthistorylists.com/pre-history/top-10-oldest-art-ever-discovered/

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Horseshoe600

I know less than nothing about art, but I had the good fortune of taking in a trip to Rome in the pre-covid days in mid January. Walking through the Vatican I was awe-struck by the sheer volume of priceless artworks. Why it's necessary for a religious HQ to be so decorated in such a way is perhaps a question for another thread.

The highlight is when you are led into a place where you are not aallowed to take photos, or to even speak. The Sistine Chapel. You're told about it, you've maybe read about, you've seen photos of it, but when you look up and you what Michaelangelo did it reinforces the view that there is actual meaning to life. What a human mind can conceive and will into reality.

Michealangelo was first and foremost a sculptor, not a painter. He didn't want the commission to paint that ceiling, he was bullied into it by Pope Julies 2nd. Mick agreed on the basis that he could paint what he liked, nobody(aside from his assistants) were allowed in for the 5 years he was working on it.

It's a cliche, but photos don't do it justice.

Mick wasn't ever fully happy with his work, he came back 30 years later in his 60s to finish the end piece.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Last Judgement end piece was later painted over by other artists as it caused some scandal with the nudity involved. The scandal was mostly among clergy and the like, the common folk loved it. El Greco offered to overpaint it with a new scene, but was told to feck off. Interestingly Jesus is painted as a clean shaven very muscular figure, quite at odds with usual portrayals and more like a Greek god.

Personally I never really liked the end piece. The figures to my eyes are overly muscular to the point of grotesques and it's more heavy handed, even clumsy compared to the ceiling.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I know less than nothing about art, but I had the good fortune of taking in a trip to Rome in the pre-covid days in mid January. Walking through the Vatican I was awe-struck by the sheer volume of priceless artworks. Why it's necessary for a religious HQ to be so decorated in such a way is perhaps a question for another thread.

The highlight is when you are led into a place where you are not aallowed to take photos, or to even speak. The Sistine Chapel. You're told about it, you've maybe read about, you've seen photos of it, but when you look up and you what Michaelangelo did it reinforces the view that there is actual meaning to life. What a human mind can conceive and will into reality.

Michealangelo was first and foremost a sculptor, not a painter. He didn't want the commission to paint that ceiling, he was bullied into it by Pope Julies 2nd. Mick agreed on the basis that he could paint what he liked, nobody(aside from his assistants) were allowed in for the 5 years he was working on it.

It's a cliche, but photos don't do it justice.

Mick wasn't ever fully happy with his work, he came back 30 years later in his 60s to finish the end piece.

Really interesting place and sparked my interest in art, you could literally spend all day there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

The Italians seem to have a real thing for art in churches. On a trip to Roem a few years ago we happened on the church of St Andrea delle Fratte, just a couple of blocks away from the Trevi. It looks like nothing special from outside, but when you walk in you're treated to a collection of shrines, statues, murals and mosaics, with not a square inch left blank.

The angels are by Bernini.

interno-sant-andrea-delle.jpg

SantAndrea-Della-Frate-%C2%A9-Santandreadellefratte.It_.png

interior-of-santandrea-delle-fratte-basilica-rome-italy-picture-id868795692?k=6&m=868795692&s=612x612&w=0&h=x07BVdgVVjHsU07VtH_JioXL1s8BMu6G-h7VuHK2fFg=

753f10fa205849411a7c25f6f8a20aaa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Ipso wrote: »
    Is Nighthawks one of Hopper’s?

It sure is. My folks have that in their place.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Caravaggio was a pure genius with light. He would have made one helluva cinematographer.

That's the first thing that hit me when I saw that painting. It's very dark on the right and closer to Christ it goes the lighter it gets.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Are we sure its the angels making those bubbles blow :pac:

It's quite obvious the angels are holding her butt cheeks open. She probably had a feed of Guinness before lying down there :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭I see sheep

512674.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

While I like the more historical art, I think a lot of the peaces shown on this thread are amazing. one person who should be mentioned is Futra2000.

He's not a traditional artist but he is a thought provoking artist, He's worked with Nike, BMW and what introduced me to him was the band Unkle. His work is different very abstract but I always felt it resonated with me. I get that he's not every one's cup of tea but me personally I really enjoy looking at his work. :cool:

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fhanguppictures.com%2FImages%2FUrban%2Ffutura-2000-hope-street.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

futura-6.jpg

video is a little over edited but its fun to see how he works.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah its astonishing the amount of priceless artwork in the Vatican. I can only imagine the sheer wealth of the Vatican in the 1500's was bankrolling thousands of sculptors and artists. iirc there is some stat that they have a total of 70,000 artworks but only 20,000 odd are on actual display. There must be secure and guarded warehouses around Rome where they just have thousands and thousands of statues packed inside gathering dust.
    The highlight is when you are led into a place where you are not allowed to take photos, or to even speak. The Sistine Chapel. You're told about it, you've maybe read about, you've seen photos of it, but when you look up and you what Michaelangelo did it reinforces the view that there is actual meaning to life. What a human mind can conceive and will into reality

The Sistine is something else, absolutely incredible. I was pretty lucky to be inside it after hours when it was completely empty and we were allowed to take photos which is normally strictly forbidden. Its a funny story, the entire family were in Rome for a wedding and my mother knew a priest who knew the priest who was in charge of the entire ticketing operation for the Pope's weekly audiences on St.Peters Square. We had dubbed him Father Ticketmaster.

We met him for coffee just outside the Vatican gates and he was complaining because his accommodation in Rome was undergoing a 2 year renovation and restoration, he had to move out and his boss had given him a budget of 450k to buy an apartment in Rome. He was moaning to us that he couldnt get anything decent in Rome within walking distance of the Vatican for almost half a mill. He had bid on two places and got gazumped on both of them. I couldnt believe my ears hearing a priest come out with this estate agent talk, it definitely gave truth to the notion of the Vatican being the worlds biggest property owners.

Anyway before the Pope did his gig he brought us backstage through the dressing rooms of the Swiss guard. That was surreal, it was like a footballers dressing room with all their jester outfits and swords hung up. Just a pity we weren't allowed to take photos in there due to "national security":pac:

Then for the audience with the Pope the priest had placed us seated in the front row right up at the barriers. A crowd of several thousand were in the pen and when the Pope came along on the Popemobile next thing I knew I was getting pushed and jostled in the back by some African nuns at the barrier, I turned around and there was about 60 of them who had left their seats and were now pushing like it was a rock concert so they could get a better view of Pope Francis. Im a complete religious cycnic so it still gives me a giggle to this day. I let a couple of them in front of me to the barrier so they could get a good photo, it was gas watching them as they were completely overcome with emotion when the Pope passed by within a few metres.

Then later that evening Father Ticketmaster got us on a private tour of the Sistine Chapel. It was just my family, six businessmen in suits and a BBC radio documentary crew who were in there and we had about an hour inside. That was something else to see the ceiling without the usual crowds, they gave us little binoculars as well so you could inspect the many details of the fresco.

The whole day was just surreal, I remember going to sleep that night asking myself what the fcuk just happened. All we were expecting was for this priest to sort us out with tickets to the audience with the Pope but instead we ended up inside the Swiss guards dressing rooms and on a tour of an empty Sistine Chapel. We still slag my mother to this day saying that with Father Ticketmaster she has a direct line to the Pope :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Anything by Harry Clarke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I think you'll find the Easter Islanders did a pretty good job of pillaging their own island long before the Brits got there.

My neighbour's house was in bad shape, so it's ok that I broke in and stole his TV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Michelangelos David

Genuinely awe Inspiring especially the veins on the hands literally looks like it’s going to come alive or is alive

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

My neighbour's house was in bad shape, so it's ok that I broke in and stole his TV.

These idiots have destroyed all the vegetation on their island due to their weird religious superstitions and are now starving - wonder if they'll give me one of those funny statues for a loaf of bread?

Actually also in Florence there is a small graffiti self-portrait MichaelAngelo did with his hands behind his back because apparently graffiti was banned at the time so he Carved a picture of his own face into the Councill building In cheeky protest. It’s just in one of the squares near that bridge
    I got a picture with it it’s really cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I've been to that museum many times and that is probably the least life like work of art in there.

You'd think having been to the Rijksmuseum even once you'd have a favourite piece of art that wasn't a bit of coloured glass.

• Advertisement

This reminded me we visited the quarry that the marble that David came from you can buy some of it
    David was on veiled on September 8 which is also my birthday and my name is David. Serendipity or what

Advertisement