Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Off silage fully 9 days today and milk results coming in for all grass and meal diet jumped from 3.37 to 3.52 on one collection bf went back from 4.22 to 4.1 and litres Came up a touch hopefully pr will keep this upward trend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Inhibitors[\quote]

Cut artificial n is what I was thinking,it's responsible for about 30% of dairy emissions and is the only non essential bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭blackdog1

simx wrote:
    Off silage fully 9 days today and milk results coming in for all grass and meal diet jumped from 3.37 to 3.52 on one collection bf went back from 4.22 to 4.1 and litres Came up a touch hopefully pr will keep this upward trend

I'm still feeding 9kg of meal and 25kg of silage with good quality grass in the diet. Cows doing 3.65p and 4 fat so you can produce solids on silage but it's bloody expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,908 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

blackdog1 wrote: »
    I'm still feeding 9kg of meal and 25kg of silage with good quality grass in the diet. Cows doing 3.65p and 4 fat so you can produce solids on silage but it's bloody expensive!

What's your grass like?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Fully agree 4 kg dm silage plus 3 kg maize/distillers/hulls mix going in here still and well as 5 in parlour 26.3 Ltrs 4.27 fat 3.63 p .expensive yes but trying to build decent bank of grass before handbrake releases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭cosatron

On heavy ground here in Galway cows are on good grass that we pre-mowed as it was heavy and they are doing 23lt 4 fat 3.43 p on 3kg of dan O'Connor breedermax. we dodged some serious bullets with the drought, thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Worrying to see the extended credit scheme from glanbia is after having to be extended to 30 million due to it being over-subscribed....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Inhibitors[\quote]

Cut artificial n is what I was thinking,it's responsible for about 30% of dairy emissions and is the only non essential bit

Ah no Sam, you can’t be talking like that!! Crazy talk.

I see that to draw down the tillage/dairy forage aid you HAVE to spread fertilizer.
    Jesus wept.

The whole idea of forage/cover crops is to reduce or even eliminate fertilizer application...I’m honestly dumbfounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

mahoney_j wrote: »

Fully agree 4 kg dm silage plus 3 kg maize/distillers/hulls mix going in here still and well as 5 in parlour 26.3 Ltrs 4.27 fat 3.63 p .expensive yes but trying to build decent bank of grass before handbrake releases

We rarely get to build this famous wedge/bank of grass for the autumn. Gr is never there to do it. The odd time we do the performance is never there. Save your silage. Move to a 30 day rotation and as you get into late Sept fill the performance gap with that good quality silage you seem to have. You'll have more milk and solids from it.

We rarely get to build this famous wedge/bank of grass for the autumn. Gr is never there to do it. The odd time we do the performance is never there. Save your silage. Move to a 30 day rotation and as you get into late Sept fill the performance gap with that good quality silage you seem to have. You'll have more milk and solids from it.

Was at 160 kg grass dm per cow last Saturday once I’m over 200 I’ll drop out buffer over few days .building and grazing covers once not too high never an issue in back end here .ill be hopeing to make it to mid October before having to buffer again .cows in great Knick and still pumping out very good solids and litres despite until this week ****e grass it came at a cost but def feel going hard with a buffer and hiring in feeder has paid off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Was at 160 kg grass dm per cow last Saturday once I’m over 200 I’ll drop out buffer over few days .building and grazing covers once not too high never an issue in back end here .ill be hopeing to make it to mid October before having to buffer again .cows in great Knick and still pumping out very good solids and litres despite until this week ****e grass it came at a cost but def feel going hard with a buffer and hiring in feeder has paid off

Am I seeing things or are u appreciating the value of a diet feeder....?

Am I seeing things or are u appreciating the value of a diet feeder....?

Fully appreciate its value and use !!!,I’ll be honest after last few weeks I’d love one but that’ll mean another tractor or loader and a feeder,can I justify one is a question I’m now asking myself

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Worrying to see the extended credit scheme from glanbia is after having to be extended to 30 million due to it being over-subscribed....

This announcement has made my hair stand on end. It resonates United Fruit Co...
    (Funny how there’s only allowance for tillage farmers that grow fodder under the ‘scheme’!:))

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/companies/glanbia-coop-to-allow-beef-and-sheep-farmer-members-access-to-credit-scheme-37214577.html

Fully appreciate its value and use !!!,I’ll be honest after last few weeks I’d love one but that’ll mean another tractor or loader and a feeder,can I justify one is a question I’m now asking myself

It’d be crazy to have a wagon and parlor feeders at the same time...what would the poor merchants do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭blackdog1

What are boys paying for straights at the moment?

Maize meal making 225 plus a tonne and crushed barley 235. Feel free to post prices. Is love a few comparisons. Dawg you can shag off... I don't want to see any French prices they'd just depress me... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

How many suppliers does Glanbia have? 30 million sounds like a lot but divided across a huge supplier base it wouldn't amount to much more than 6-7k/ supplier. Considering how badly affected their supply region was it hardly surprising.
    There are always exceptions but the debt levels on irish dairy farm are low

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

In fairness the teagasc grass weekly update is advising to budget and keep supplementing if necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭visatorro

blackdog1 wrote:

210/ tonne soya hulls. Same for beet pulp. Have to take an artic. Glanbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Maize meal making 225 plus a tonne and crushed barley 235. Feel free to post prices. Is love a few comparisons. Dawg you can shag off... I don't want to see any French prices they'd just depress me... :(

Should be finished any silage come the 1st week of sep so will see what we'll be feeding after scanning and that and will price up then I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We were paying €185 for rolled barley, €180 for oats, €210 for maize meal, €200 for citrus meal and €220 for beet pulp nuts up until yesterday. I was told by merchant that prices were going up next week and rolled barley would be €220, maize meal €230 and beet pulp nuts €240 that is collected prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

visatorro wrote: »
    210/ tonne soya hulls. Same for beet pulp. Have to take an artic. Glanbia.

Do Glanbia still have hulls?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭visatorro

Timmaay wrote:
    Do Glanbia still have hulls?

That's a forthnight ago. Never asked since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

visatorro wrote: »
    That's a forthnight ago. Never asked since

Prices have changed since. Upwards and will move up again.
    Glanbia didn't have soya hulls or beet pulp nuts the middle of last week.
    They are to expensive anyhow, by €20-30/t

dar31 wrote: »
    Prices have changed since. Upwards and will move up again.
    Glanbia didn't have soya hulls or beet pulp nuts the middle of last week.
    They are to expensive anyhow, by €20-30/t

All straights bar maby maize meal are going to get scarce and expensive and we’ve very few if any alternatives available ,there is going to have to be a substantial extra amount of extra meal put into stock until next April or may

All straights bar maby maize meal are going to get scarce and expensive and we’ve very few if any alternatives available ,there is going to have to be a substantial extra amount of extra meal put into stock until next April or may

Took 40 acreas of second cut silage ground yesterday of the lad I rent the majority of my ground of, didn’t need it but know a few lads who will buy the bales of it, at 150 a acre that I’m paying and at 7 bales to the acre which is optimistic (light enough crop has to be off the field by end of August) I need to be getting 40 euro a bale to break-even, won’t be sold for less then 45 as need some bit of a margin for my time and effort

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Took 40 acreas of second cut silage ground yesterday of the lad I rent the majority of my ground of, didn’t need it but know a few lads who will buy the bales of it, at 150 a acre that I’m paying and at 7 bales to the acre which is optimistic (light enough crop has to be off the field by end of August) I need to be getting 40 euro a bale to break-even, won’t be sold for less then 45 as need some bit of a margin for my time and effort

Will ya get it do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Why bother if you don't need it, surely it's just another headache looking for that kind of money. On a energy basis it's not worth 45 euro, . That feed is working out at 20 cent a kg of dm you will have to hope lads are very badly stuck to pay that

Reggie. wrote: »
    Will ya get it do you think?

I’d reckon so, if not will buy in 40-50 continental weanlings if their cheap and carry them for the winter, should be a good twist out of them selling in April/may for the grass

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭farisfat

I thinks the rise in straight prices will be long term

• Advertisement

yewtree wrote: »
    Why bother if you don't need it, surely it's just another headache looking for that kind of money. On a energy basis it's not worth 45 euro, . That feed is working out at 20 cent a kg of dm you will have to hope lads are very badly stuck to pay that

I don’t really think you grasp the shortage of feed that already exists out their, when you see the huge amount of westerworld gone in it speaks volumes, with soya hulls up at 240 euro a ton, good quality silage has to be worth 20 cent a kg of dm....
    Could be a great opertinuity to pick up cheap stock to if things really do go south

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement