Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long has your Smartphone lasted

• 21-10-2020 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Bought a Samsung Galaxy A5 Gold in Jan 2017, so lasting around 4 years. Only thing i have is one of those gel covers which thankfully has kept it from breaking in the meantime. Paid €400 on prepay so was expecting some level of lastability. Thankfully its paid dividends.

In a world of 1 phone a year, maybe more, its rare to see one lasting this long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

About 12 months because I normally break it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I wonder about either your memory for dates , or your ability to count op !!!
    I think I got 3 or 4 years out of my first smart phone ...
    And it's gone down hill since then ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

The last few years they've gotten better which has become an issue for phone companies.
    I've a Xiaomi Redmi phone I got last year for about 100 quid, battery still lasts well over a day with pretty intense use and it's still as fast as anything else. Unfortunately I smashed the screen a few days ago. Gonna have a go at replacing the screen rather than pay 150 quid for a new one and throw out something that should have a couple of years left in it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I have a Nokia n95 that still works. Early nouughties I think

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Just upgraded from an SG7 to an SG9+ 2 weeks ago.

Got the S7 2 years and 9 months ago.
    Screen had a single crack that was not a big issue.
    Earphone jack was mono but I mostly used bluetooth, so no big deal.
    Camera cover had broken off and there was a permanent blurry black dot on all my pics.

Apart from that she was grand. I would have kept using it longer but the OH treated herself to a new iphone so I decided to get the 9+. It can hold upto 400Gb micro SD, up from 64 so I can have about 6 times the music on it. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭maneno

iphone 6 since 2015, not intending to change soon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Over 8 years with a Sony Xperia, think it was about €180 quid at the time, still going,

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

iPhone 7, lasted four years and then the microphone broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Most recent from memory was a xiaomi redmi for 3 years, not a single issue. Replaced because battery was down to about 10 hours.
    Have a Huawei p30 lite for a year now and no plans to change for the next 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

My Sony experia is 3 years old, when I charge it, it says 1day 10 hours , but I only use it for a radio, watching YouTube videos and playing podcasts, i usually use it in airplane mode .
    I charge it til it says 98 per cent on screen.
    I expect to get another 2 year s out of it.
    People buy a phone every year, because phones are cheap, android os is updated every 2 years
    If you use a phone as part of your job you can claim a tax credit
    So you may as well buy an expensive iPhone or a hi spec android phone
    I bought a new android phone 6 inch screen cost 100 euro new in a 3 store
    and it has a headphone socket
    It lasts about 12 hours on 4g Internet
    Web browsing in battery saver mode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

There should be a massive tax on people who change phones every year.

Enviro-hypocrites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

Pkiernan wrote: »
    There should be a massive tax on people who change phones every year.

Enviro-hypocrites

Same with cars

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Detritus70

My OnePlus One is still serving as a media player in the kitchen, hooked up to a 1970 ITT radio.
    Have a OnePlus Six now, after three years it's barely broken in.
    And why is it that 99% of all phones have a broken screen?
    That happened to me once in ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have a cheapo Android phone that was my main phone for about two years, but it seemed like longer. It felt like a much older phone than it was, and I haven’t regretted switching to an iPhone SE when it came out about six months ago. Since Apple actually supports its products with updates for years, I hope to get at least three years out of this phone, hopefully up to five.

PS my older Microsoft Lumia 640 still works great as a media player and white noise machine, even though Microsoft has stopped supporting the platform now. Android is just bloated by comparison.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

iamstop wrote: »
    Just upgraded from an SG7 to an SG9+ 2 weeks ago.

Got the S7 2 years and 9 months ago.

In the same boat, have my SG7 nearly 3 years and it still works grand. Feel a bit sentimental towards it but getting a new phone for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Over 8 years with a Sony Xperia, think it was about €180 quid at the time, still going,

That old, it must be a Sony Ericsson, heck it might be just an Ericsson. I know I got the first phone branded just Sony, the Xperia S although it still had a few Ericsson touches such as the green and silver globe logo and a few mentions of Ericsson on some of the labels.
    Currently 2 and a half years with my Xperia XZ2, still running as smooth as ever, although I do have my eye on the newest phone, the 5ii should it ever turn up on Vodafone contract.

bnt wrote: »
    I have a cheapo Android phone that was my main phone for about two years, but it seemed like longer. It felt like a much older phone than it was, and I haven’t regretted switching to an iPhone SE when it came out about six months ago. Since Apple actually supports its products with updates for years, I hope to get at least three years out of this phone, hopefully up to five.

PS my older Microsoft Lumia 640 still works great as a media player and white noise machine, even though Microsoft has stopped supporting the platform now. Android is just bloated by comparison.

Had one of those MS phones for a while when it was well and truly second hand. Fastest phone I've ever used, such a pity they couldn't get a foothold in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I hate a HTC One M8 from launch in 2014 till 2016, few scrapes and dings but still worked perfectly. I upgraded via contract to a Galaxy S7, had that from then until around this time last year when I got an S10 through work. Gave the mother the S7, and aside from a small crack in the top right corner (a week before I gave it to my mother), it has withstood I'd imagine about 100 falls a month. I usually listen to music via headphones while going to sleep, and every night without fail it would be pulled off the locker and onto the floor. And then throw in the random drops I get a few times a day... Definitely the strongest phone I've had, and that's with a standard case.

The S10 has been dropped just as often, although not falling off the locker anymore as I have it on the bed instead (up in the corner, not covered by anything). Aside from the screen protector having scrathes from my nails, it's perfect, and it has the official slim case so not much protection from that. I think Samsung make very solid phones these days (compared to the S5 I had which smashed within a short time).

I'd be hard pushed to change from the Samsung S range. When the phone is worth close to 1k, you expect it to be able for the falls! Problem is, ever since I upgraded to the flagship range of phones, I can't use cheaper ones because of how slow they are in comparison. I'll be entitled to another work phone in about 6 months (I pay about 60% of the wholesale cost over a period of 6 months), so I'll see what's out then. The geek in me wants the foldable Samsung... That'll be one for the fall test!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The last few years they've gotten better which has become an issue for phone companies.
    I've a Xiaomi Redmi phone I got last year for about 100 quid, battery still lasts well over a day with pretty intense use and it's still as fast as anything else. Unfortunately I smashed the screen a few days ago. Gonna have a go at replacing the screen rather than pay 150 quid for a new one and throw out something that should have a couple of years left in it yet.
    I have a Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite (my first smartphone) and I've have it just over two years. The battery is great, lasting 4 or 5 days, although I wouldn't be on the phone all the time like some people. The only trouble I ever had with it was the Covid app sapping it of power a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I've had my current phone (iPhone XR) two years, but my two previous phones to that (iPhone 7 and iPhone 6) are 4 and 6 years old respectively, and are still in use by my daughters (albeit with reduced capacity batteries that I must sort out).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

First smartphone was a Blackberry which lasted 10 years before some buttons came off. Now I have an LG stylus for the last 4 years.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I have an iPhone SE for 4 years and it's going strong. It's pretty easy and cheap to change the battery and the headphone jack/microphone if they go so it's a great little runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

I have an iPhone SE for 4 years and it's going strong. It's pretty easy and cheap to change the battery and the headphone jack/microphone if they go so it's a great little runner.

Same here.

I've an SE for about 6 years.

Main thing that's putting me off upgrading is the size of newer phones. They're just too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Allinall wrote: »
    Same here.

I've an SE for about 6 years.

Main thing that's putting me off upgrading is the size of newer phones. They're just too big.

It's a lovely small size and I used to be put off by the bigger phones. But there are plenty of phones that are a little bit bigger than the old SE. I'll use this one until it breaks and I cant fix it or it slows down too much. I'm not worried about getting a phone a little bigger, but i don't want a big tablet for a phone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Markcheese wrote: »
    I wonder about either your memory for dates , or your ability to count op !!!
    I think I got 3 or 4 years out of my first smart phone ...
    And it's gone down hill since then ..

Why do you worry about his ability to count, he bought the phone in Jan 17, it’s a little over 2 months from being 4 years old ???

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

It will be 8 years in January since I bought my iPhone 5. It is still going fairly well. I have an iPhone 11 Pro for work so the 5 gets limited use tbf.

I put a GoMo sim in last year so at least I get to keep my number active for €10 a month.

I have a OnePlus 5t that's three years old. Battery is still great on it, if I go easy on it, the battery will last 36 hours or longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Bought an s10 in late January. It was my first new fone since 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I've had my current phone (iPhone XR) two years, but my two previous phones to that (iPhone 7 and iPhone 6) are 4 and 6 years old respectively, and are still in use by my daughters (albeit with reduced capacity batteries that I must sort out).

Similar experience here. I have an iPhone XR, I purchased it when it was released so it is 2 years old now. My sister has my old iPhone 6s which I bought in 2015, and it is still working quite well. My aunt has an iPhone 4s from 2011 as her spare phone and it is still going strong. Needs to be charged once a day, but has outlived several of her 'main' android handsets, including 3 Samsung galaxy flagships. :P

I had one Sony Xperia before I bought my first iPhone (iPhone 5s) and while it had great internals/software, the outer build quality wasn't the best. The battery was the first to go, then the display started to malfunction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Feets

Four years at most so far, it is usually a crack on the edge getting bigger, the phones themselves were great. Always Samsung.

Advertisement