Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flu vaccine

Comments

Have sent my email to the chemist, but I'm sure they are snowed under.

It seems like the government possibly have seriously under-ordered vaccines this year, going by what I'm seeing. Very short-sighted. The major deal this time around is keeping our immune systems primed, as a dose of the flu can weaken it for a while. Apart from the fact that a common or garden dose of flu could easily be confused with a developing severe dose of Covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm high risk and live with an elderly person. Neither of us can get a flu vaccine appointment with our gp (different gps) or in any pharmacy until November.

mulbot wrote: »
    Is it not a live vaccine in the Nasal?Will they be at risk of spreading, through shedding?

Don't know about that, haven't done any research. Maybe it's on the HSE info here, haven't had time to read it properly:

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/flu-vaccination/about-the-vaccine/

Got mine last week, at GP. No charge as diabetic and asthmatic. My daughter got hers too, also asthmatic.

I'm high risk and live with an elderly person. Neither of us can get a flu vaccine appointment with our gp (different gps) or in any pharmacy November.

This is the crux, a postcode (GP) lottery almost. I see in the TMB travel vaccine company website they are administering it to those lucky enough to have their employer supply/fund vaccination.
    Don't know the progress in that front though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Got mine on Thursday in Boots for free due to having Crohn's.

Had some mild after effects for a couple of days. Woozy with a bit of a scratch in my throat. Seems to be gone now.

Got mine last week, at GP. No charge as diabetic and asthmatic. My daughter got hers too, also asthmatic.

I think that in Ireland NOT having an underlying condition is being in a minority. We are quite a creaking door nation, and I count myself among the creaking doors. If I'm like my family, I have the promise of longevity nonetheless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mulbot

Don't know about that, haven't done any research. Maybe it's on the HSE info here, haven't had time to read it properly:

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/flu-vaccination/about-the-vaccine/

Points it out as a live attenuated vaccine, cant find f this can cause any spread of flu.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Got mine on Thursday in Boots for free due to having Crohn's.

Had some mild after effects for a couple of days. Woozy with a bit of a scratch in my throat. Seems to be gone now.

I had Ulcerative Colitis most of my life up to colectomy & ileostomy, GP always charged me for vaccine. Since going to chemist I've been getting it free for last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,841 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Points it out as a live attenuated vaccine, cant find f this can cause any spread of flu.

Crazy theory... could it spread the vaccine?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

No, an attenuated vaccine won't do that.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Crazy theory... could it spread the vaccine?

That would be great for anti-vaxxers and mask refusers. All you would have to do is shout "I may have a contagious VACCINE!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭3d4life

Got mine on Thursday in Boots for free due to having Crohn's..

How do Boots satisfy themselves that you do indeed qualify and that you are not blagging them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

I have crohns and asthma and got it for free last week in boots. Really straight forward process, they sent me an email reminder as I’d got it with them last year and booked it online. All precautions such as gloves and masks were taken. Felt much safer than going to GP. Regarding side effects, I’ve got a bad sore throat today but not sure if thats down to the vaccine or if I had it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

We all got ours 2 weeks ago. Kids included.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am on about 3 waiting lists and can't get it anywhere. I have no underlying condition so can't be prioritised, I just have an unholy fear of the flu. I got it the year we had swine flu here (2009 I think) and I never want to feel like that again in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭al_E_kat

Got it yesterday, 34 weeks preggers and a HCW so got priority. Only potential after effect was I was achy all over today but thats probably pregnancy related moreso.

I am on about 3 waiting lists and can't get it anywhere. I have no underlying condition so can't be prioritised, I just have an unholy fear of the flu. I got it the year we had swine flu here (2009 I think) and I never want to feel like that again in my life.

It's like hell, isn't it! I always get unduly annoyed when I hear people refer to a routine viral respiratory tract infection/unpleasant cold as "flu". I nearly went into despair one time when a colleague said "the flu vaccine doesn't work, this is the fourth time this year I've had the flu". There was no point in arguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,841 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Research indicates effectiveness of 50 percent over last ten years - due to mismatched strains in vaccine versus what circulated.
    Lets hope this year is one of its effective years.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

3d4life wrote: »
    How do Boots satisfy themselves that you do indeed qualify and that you are not blagging them ?

They were in communication with my GP so they may have confirmed it. I got it with them last year too so I'd say it was on record.

• Advertisement

If you go to own small local chemist, like I go mine, they know my conditions inside out, but if you go to one of the larger chain ones it's a matter of professing whatever condition(s) you have.

Edit... it reminds me of the Swine Flu vaccine in 2009 when it became available in Dundrum HSE community centre. They asked me what medical conditions I had, and as the primary one that came to mind that instant was Colitis I stated this and in that year inflammatory bowel disease alone wasn't considered a risk factor as use of immune-suppressive drugs wasn't as widespread (surgery was nearly more common) as it has nis become. Then I remembered the asthma, though I hadn't been much bothered by it around that time and this "qualified" me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 morebarn

I got my flu injection tonight at my GP. At 7.30pm and patients were still arriving at 8pm! It’s a large multi GP practice; but in fairness the Doctor who owns the practice was actually carrying out all the injections himself.

It’s the first time I have ever seen them open or working so late in the day.
    So I guess the demand is definitely way above other years.

It took me 3 attempts to get an appointment as supplies of vaccine were late arriving and were used up instantly.
    Yesterday for instance they received 700 doses to administer.

I have been getting the injection for a good few years due to immunosuppressive meds I take and as a pensioner I don’t have to pay now.

By contrast, husband just popped into his GP to enquire, and they gave vaccine there and then!

So it does vary between different GP practices��

They were in communication with my GP so they may have confirmed it. I got it with them last year too so I'd say it was on record.

Thanks, will try this myself

morebarn wrote: »
    I got my flu injection tonight at my GP. At 7.30pm and patients were still arriving at 8pm! It’s a large multi GP practice; but in fairness the Doctor who owns the practice was actually carrying out all the injections himself.

It’s the first time I have ever seen them open or working so late in the day.
    So I guess the demand is definitely way above other years.

It took me 3 attempts to get an appointment as supplies of vaccine were late arriving and were used up instantly.
    Yesterday for instance they received 700 doses to administer.

I have been getting the injection for a good few years due to immunosuppressive meds I take and as a pensioner I don’t have to pay now.

By contrast, husband just popped into his GP to enquire, and they gave vaccine there and then!

So it does vary between different GP practices��

Obviously some GPs are under-ordering and vice-versa or else the ordering system provided by HSE is not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I get the flu vaccine every year as I’m a healthcare worker. Never had any side effects afterwards. Am hoping to get mine tomorrow.

I get the flu vaccine every year as I’m a healthcare worker. Never had any side effects afterwards. Am hoping to get mine tomorrow.

Lucky you :)

I used to get it and would, without fail, be crucified for 3 - 4 weeks :(

Didnt get it the last two winters and all good :)

So dilemma this year ...

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Research indicates effectiveness of 50 percent over last ten years - due to mismatched strains in vaccine versus what circulated.
    Lets hope this year is one of its effective years.

I say I last got influenza in about 1988, and since the later 90s started getting the vaccine as I was then looking after my elderly mother. However there have been two occasions since vaccination when I git the characteristic abrupt start of flu, you know when all of a sudden you start to ache and shake and take to bed with fever and bone pains. To me this has only happened for two reasons; influenza or bacterial pneumonia but with the latter I have always soon started coughing clots of blood. Well the two occasions I speak of it just faded away after 24 hours and by 36 hours I was up and making a light tea, and next day 100% with a slight irritating cough fading away. I believe that was probably an "attenuated" dose if influenza because I had at least been part immunised by vaccines. So to me that "aborted flu" was well worth having the vaccine fit in itself.

Lucky you :)

I used to get it and would, without fail, be crucified for 3 - 4 weeks :(

Didnt get it the last two winters and all good :)

So dilemma this year ...

Crucified by what in particular... curious to know.. was it joint pains etc?

Crucified by what in particular... curious to know.. was it joint pains etc?

A "cold" ( colds always go to my chest )

being immunosuppressed probably doesnt help :D

• Advertisement

I got it last Thursday. I felt pretty rough over the weekend, but it always hits me that way for a day or two. My arm is still a bit swollen and sore tonight, but otherwise okay.

Advertisement