Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This Sunday's Gospel

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Twenty-second Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 124

Gospel

Mt 16:21-27

Jesus began to show his disciples

that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer greatly

from the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes,

and be killed and on the third day be raised.

Then Peter took Jesus aside and began to rebuke him,

"God forbid, Lord! No such thing shall ever happen to you."

He turned and said to Peter,

"Get behind me, Satan! You are an obstacle to me.

You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do."

Then Jesus said to his disciples,

"Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself,

take up his cross, and follow me.

For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it,

but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world

and forfeit his life?

Or what can one give in exchange for his life?

For the Son of Man will come with his angels in his Father's glory,

and then he will repay all according to his conduct."

Source :

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/

https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/daily-readings

Irish https://www.catholicireland.net/read...day&lang=irish

Audio http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings-audio.cfm

Commentary: Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Fifteenth Sunday After Pentecost

Commemoration of St Nicholas of Tolentino Confessor

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Gálatas.

Gal v, 25-26; vi, 1-10

Fratres: Si spíritu vívimus, spíritu et ambulémus. Non efficiámur inanis glóriæ cúpidi, ínvicem provocántes, ínvicem invidéntes. Fratres, et si præoccupátus fúerit homo in áliquo delícto, vos, qui spirituáles estis, hujúsmodi instrúite in spíritu lenitátis, consíderans teípsum, ne et tu tentéris. Alter alteríus ónera portáte, et sic adimplébitis legem Christi. Nam si quis exístimat se áliquid esse, cum nihil sit, ipse se sedúcit. Opus autem suum probet unusquísque, et sic in semetípso tantum glóriam habébit, et non in áltero. Unusquísque enim onus suum portábit. Commúnicet autem is, qui catechizátur verbo, ei, qui se catechízat, in ómnibus bonis. Nolíte erráre: Deus non irridétur. Quæ enim semináverit homo, hæc et metet. Quóniam qui séminat in carne sua, de carne et metet corruptiónem: qui autem séminat in spíritu, de spíritu metet vitam ætérnam. Bonum autem faciéntes, non deficiámus: témpore enim suo metémus, non deficiéntes. Ergo, dum tempus habémus, operémur bonum ad omnes, maxime autem ad domésticos fídei.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Galatians

Gal v.25, 26; vi. 1-10

Brethren: If we live by the Spirit, by the Spirit let us also walk. Let us not become desirous of vainglory, provoking one another, envying one another. Brethren, even if a person is caught doing something wrong, you who are spiritual instruct such a one in a spirit of meekness, considering yourself, lest you also be tempted. Bear one another’s burdens, and so you will fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks himself to be something, whereas he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let everyone test his own work, and so he will have glory in himself only, and not in comparison with another. For each one will bear his own burden. And let him who is instructed in the word share all good things with his teacher. Be not deceived, God is not mocked. For what a man sows in the flesh, from the flesh also will reap corruption. But he who sows in the spirit, from the spirit will reap life everlasting. And in doing good let us not grow tired; for in due time we shall reap if we do not relax. Therefore, while we have time, let us do good to all men, but especially to those who are of the household of faith.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia ✠ sancti Evangélii secúndum Lucam.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc vii,11-16

In illo témpore: Ibat Jesus in civitátem, quæ vocátur Naim: et ibant cum eo discípuli ejus et turba copiósa. Cum autem appropinquáret portæ civitátis, ecce, defúnctus efferebátur fílius únicus matris suæ: et hæc vidua erat: et turba civitátis multa cum illa. Quam cum vidísset Dóminus, misericórdia motus super eam, dixit illi: Noli flere. Et accéssit et tétigit lóculum. - Hi autem, qui portábant, stetérunt. - Et ait: Adoléscens, tibi dico, surge. Et resédit, qui erat mórtuus, et coepit loqui. Et dedit illum matri suæ. Accépit autem omnes timor: et magnificábant Deum, dicéntes: Quia Prophéta magnus surréxit in nobis: et quia Deus visitávit plebem suam.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation ☩ of the Holy Gospel according to Luke

R. Glory be to Thee, O Lord.

Luc vii,11-16

At that time, Jesus went to a town called Naim; and His disciples and a large crowd went with Him. And as He drew near the gate of the town, behold, a dead man was being carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow; and a large gathering from the town was with her. And the Lord, seeing her, had compassion on her, and said to her, Do not weep. And He went up and touched the stretcher; and the bearers stood still. And He said, Young man, I say to you, arise. And he who was dead, sat up, and began to speak. And He gave him to his mother. But fear seized upon all, and they began to glorify God, saying, A great prophet has risen among us, and God has visited His people.

S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

The harvest we shall reap at death will correspond to the seed we have sown in life; let us sow works full of supernatural spirit and we shall reap eternal life. Let us never fail in doing good, and let us avoid the works of the flesh such as lack of charity, pride, avarice and lust; for those who commit sin are dead to life of grace and will reap only corruption. In short let us escape from death, and live a truly risen life.

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1940/47, p. 863.

By healing the sick man without minding the disapproving attitude of the people standing around, Jesus teaches us how to exercise charity without being concerned what others think of us. Moreover in the following parable, He shows us that only true humility will prepare us for the ‘Banquet’ (a well-known Scriptural image indicating the glory of Heaven).

The St Jerome Sunday Missal with liturgical commentary, edited by Reverend Thomas McDonough S.T.L, J.D. and Thomas Marren M.A., London & Chicago 1966, p. 271.

Fr William Jenkins SSPV preaches a sermon on the Gospel according to St Luke. Fr Jenkins also mentions the difficulties faced by former Protestants who converted. For some it is that they are not just saved by only faith, but Catholic devotion to Our Lady proves the greatest difficulty, but Fr also sees the understanding of God, the Saints, Heaven, and who God is and that that He loves us.

Twenty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 127

Gospel

Mt 18:15-20

Jesus said to his disciples:

"If your brother sins against you,

go and tell him his fault between you and him alone.

If he listens to you, you have won over your brother.

If he does not listen,

take one or two others along with you,

so that 'every fact may be established

on the testimony of two or three witnesses.'

If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church.

If he refuses to listen even to the church,

then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.

Amen, I say to you,

whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven,

and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Again, amen, I say to you,

if two of you agree on earth

about anything for which they are to pray,

it shall be granted to them by my heavenly Father.

For where two or three are gathered together in my name,

there am I in the midst of them."

Source :

Commentary: Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament

Sixteenth Sunday After Pentecost

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Ephésios.

Ephes iii, 13-21

Fratres: Obsecro vos, ne deficiátis in tribulatiónibus meis pro vobis: quæ est glória vestra. Huius rei grátia flecto génua mea ad Patrem Dómini nostri Iesu Christi, ex quo omnis patérnitas in coelis et in terra nominátur, ut det vobis secúndum divítias glóriæ suæ, virtúte corroborári per Spíritum eius in interiórem hóminem, Christum habitáre per fidem in córdibus vestris: in caritáte radicáti et fundáti, ut póssitis comprehéndere cum ómnibus sanctis, quæ sit latitúdo et longitúdo et sublímitas et profúndum: scire etiam supereminéntem sciéntiæ caritátem Christi, ut impleámini in omnem plenitúdinem Dei. Ei autem, qui potens est ómnia fácere superabundánter, quam pétimus aut intellégimus, secúndum virtútem, quæ operátur in nobis: ipsi glória in Ecclésia et in Christo Iesu, in omnes generatiónes saeculi sæculórum.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Ephesians

Ephes iii,13-21

B rethren: I pray you not to be disheartened at my tribulations for you, for they are your glory. For this reason I bend my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from Whom all fatherhood in heaven and on earth receives its name, that He may grant you from His glorious riches to be strengthened with power through His Spirit unto the progress of the inner man; and to have Christ dwelling through faith in your hearts: so that, being rooted and grounded in love, you may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know Christ’s love which surpasses knowledge, in order that you may be filled unto all the fullness of God. Now, to Him Who is able to accomplish all things in a measure far beyond what we ask or conceive, in keeping with the power that is at work in us - to Him be glory in the Church and in Christ Jesus down through all the ages of time without end. Amen.

R.Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia ✠ sancti Evangélii secúndum Lucam.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc xiv, 1-11

I n illo témpore: Cum intráret Iesus in domum cuiúsdam príncipis pharisæórum sábbato manducáre panem, et ipsi observábant eum. Et ecce, homo quidam hydrópicus erat ante illum. Et respóndens Iesus dixit ad legisperítos et pharisaeos, dicens: Si licet sábbato curáre? At illi tacuérunt. Ipse vero apprehénsum sanávit eum ac dimísit. Et respóndens ad illos, dixit: Cuius vestrum ásinus aut bos in púteum cadet, et non contínuo éxtrahet illum die sábbati? Et non póterant ad hæc respóndere illi. Dicebat autem et ad invitátos parábolam, inténdens, quómodo primos accúbitus elígerent, dicens ad illos: Cum invitátus fúeris ad núptias, non discúmbas in primo loco, ne forte honorátior te sit invitátus ab illo, et véniens is, qui te et illum vocávit, dicat tibi: Da huic locum: et tunc incípias cum rubóre novíssimum locum tenére. Sed cum vocátus fúeris, vade, recúmbe in novíssimo loco: ut, cum vénerit, qui te invitávit, dicat tibi: Amíce, ascénde supérius. Tunc erit tibi glória coram simul discumbéntibus: quia omnis, qui se exáltat, humiliábitur: et qui se humíliat, exaltábitur.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation ☩ of the Holy Gospel according to Luke

Luke xiv, 1-11

At that time, when Jesus entered the house of one of the rulers of the Pharisees on the Sabbath to take food, they watched Him. And behold, there was a certain man before Him who had the dropsy. And Jesus asked the lawyers and Pharisees, saying, Is it lawful to cure on the Sabbath? But they remained silent. And He took and healed him and let him go. Then addressing them, He said, Which of you shall have an ass or an ox fall into a pit, and will not immediately draw him up on the Sabbath? And they could give Him no answer to these things. But He also spoke a parable to those invited, observing how they were choosing the first places at table, and He said to them, When you are invited to a wedding feast, do not recline in the first place, lest perhaps one more distinguished than you have been invited by him, and he who invited you and him come and say to you, ‘Make room for this man’; and then you begin with shame to take the last place. But when you are invited go and recline in the last place; that when he who invited you comes in, he may say to you, ‘Friend, go up higher!’ Then you will be honoured in the presence of all who are at table with you. For everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled, and he who humbles himself shall be exalted.

The Epistle and Collect are once more connected in the doctrine of grace. It is Christ who by means of his grace does all our works in us, and through him we must at all times glorify God whose love for us surpasses all knowledge. The Gospel is double lesson for the Pharisees on the observance of the Sabbath and on humility. The Church would warn us against this spirit of pride which our Lord blames severely on them.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year. Introduction and liturgical notes by Abbot Cabrol, O.S.B, The Talbot Press, Dublin 1957, pp 674

By healing the sick man without minding the disapproving attitude of the people standing around, Jesus teaches us how to exercise charity without being concerned what others think of us. Moreover in the following parable, He shows us that only true humility will prepare us for the ‘Banquet’ (a well-known Scriptural image indicating the glory of Heaven).

The St Jerome Sunday Missal with liturgical commentary, edited by Reverend Thomas McDonough S.T.L, J.D. and Thomas Marren M.A., London & Chicago 1966, p. 271.

Twenty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 130

Gospel

Mt 18:21-35

Peter approached Jesus and asked him,

"Lord, if my brother sins against me,

how often must I forgive?

As many as seven times?"

Jesus answered, "I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times.

That is why the kingdom of heaven may be likened to a king

who decided to settle accounts with his servants.

When he began the accounting,

a debtor was brought before him who owed him a huge amount.

Since he had no way of paying it back,

his master ordered him to be sold,

along with his wife, his children, and all his property,

in payment of the debt.

At that, the servant fell down, did him homage, and said,

'Be patient with me, and I will pay you back in full.'

Moved with compassion the master of that servant

let him go and forgave him the loan.

When that servant had left, he found one of his fellow servants

who owed him a much smaller amount.

He seized him and started to choke him, demanding,

'Pay back what you owe.'

Falling to his knees, his fellow servant begged him,

'Be patient with me, and I will pay you back.'

But he refused.

Instead, he had the fellow servant put in prison

until he paid back the debt.

Now when his fellow servants saw what had happened,

they were deeply disturbed, and went to their master

and reported the whole affair.

His master summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant!

I forgave you your entire debt because you begged me to.

Should you not have had pity on your fellow servant,

as I had pity on you?'

Then in anger his master handed him over to the torturers

until he should pay back the whole debt.

So will my heavenly Father do to you,

unless each of you forgives your brother from your heart."

Source :

• Advertisement

Seventeenth Sunday After Pentecost

Commemoration of Our Lady of Ransom

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Ephésios.

Ephes iv. 1-6

Fratres: Obsecro vos ego vinctus in Dómino, ut digne ambulétis vocatióne, qua vocáti estis, cum omni humilitáte et mansuetúdine, cum patiéntia, supportántes ínvicem in caritáte, sollíciti serváre unitátem spíritus in vínculo pacis. Unum corpus et unus spíritus, sicut vocáti estis in una spe vocatiónis vestræ. Unus Dóminus, una fides, unum baptísma. Unus Deus et Pater ómnium, qui est super omnes et per ómnia et in ómnibus nobis. Qui est benedíctus in saecula sæculórum. Amen.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Ephes iv. 1-6

Brethren: I, the prisoner in the Lord, exhort you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all humility and meekness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, careful to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace: one body and one Spirit, even as you were called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one Baptism, one God and Father of all, Who is above all, and throughout all, and in us all, Who is blessed forever and ever. Amen..

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia ✠ sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt xxii. 34-46

In illo témpore: Accessérunt ad Iesum pharisaei: et interrogávit eum unus ex eis legis doctor, tentans eum: Magíster, quod est mandátum magnum in lege? Ait illi Iesus: Díliges Dóminum, Deum tuum, ex toto corde tuo et in tota ánima tua et in tota mente tua. Hoc est máximum et primum mandátum. Secúndum autem símile est huic: Díliges próximum tuum sicut teípsum. In his duóbus mandátis univérsa lex pendet et prophétæ. Congregátis autem pharisaeis, interrogávit eos Iesus, dicens: Quid vobis vidétur de Christo? cuius fílius est? Dicunt ei: David. Ait illis: Quómodo ergo David in spíritu vocat eum Dóminum, dicens: Dixit Dóminus Dómino meo, sede a dextris meis, donec ponam inimícos tuos scabéllum pedum tuórum? Si ergo David vocat eum Dóminum, quómodo fílius eius est? Et nemo poterat ei respóndere verbum: neque ausus fuit quisquam ex illa die eum ámplius interrogáre.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation ☩ of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew

Matt xxii. 34-46

At that time, the Pharisees came to Jesus and one of them, a doctor of the Law, putting Him to the test, asked Him, Master, which is the great commandment in the Law? Jesus said to him, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with your whole heart, and with your whole soul, and with your whole mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. And the second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets. Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus questioned them, saying, What do you think of the Christ? Whose son is He? They said to Him, David’s. He said to them, How then does David in the spirit call Him Lord, saying, The Lord said to my Lord: Sit at My right hand, till I make Your enemies Your footstool?’ If David, therefore, calls Him ‘Lord,’ how is He his son? And no one could answer Him a word; neither did anyone dare from that day forth to ask Him any more questions. S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

In the Epistle, St. Paul insists on the unity of the Church: one Lord, one faith, one baptism.’

The Gospel, like that for the preceding Sunday, recounts our Lord’s teaching to the Pharisees; this time it is on the importance of charity towards one’s neighbour, which is really the same as the love of God. He reminds them too, of the great truth which sums up the history of the Jewish people, that the Messias, though He is his son, is greater than David.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year. Introduction and liturgical notes by Abbot Cabrol, O.S.B, The Talbot Press, Dublin 1957, pp 678.

The liturgy reminds us today of the great commandment of charity towards God and our neighbour. 'The precept is twofold,' declares St Augustine, 'but charity is one.' We love God above all and our neighbour for His sake.

The New Marian Missal for Daily Mass by Sylvester P. Juergens S.M., Doctor of Sacred Theology, Clery & Co. (1941) Ltd., Dublin, p. 551.

I'll note the scaffolding is down and the restoration of the original paintwork has been completed.

Twenty-fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 133

Gospel

Mt 20:1-16a

Jesus told his disciples this parable:

"The kingdom of heaven is like a landowner

who went out at dawn to hire laborers for his vineyard.

After agreeing with them for the usual daily wage,

he sent them into his vineyard.

Going out about nine o'clock,

the landowner saw others standing idle in the marketplace,

and he said to them, 'You too go into my vineyard,

and I will give you what is just.'

So they went off.

And he went out again around noon,

and around three o'clock, and did likewise.

Going out about five o'clock,

the landowner found others standing around, and said to them,

'Why do you stand here idle all day?'

They answered, 'Because no one has hired us.'

He said to them, 'You too go into my vineyard.'

When it was evening the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman,

'Summon the laborers and give them their pay,

beginning with the last and ending with the first.'

When those who had started about five o'clock came,

each received the usual daily wage.

So when the first came, they thought that they would receive more,

but each of them also got the usual wage.

And on receiving it they grumbled against the landowner, saying,

'These last ones worked only one hour,

and you have made them equal to us,

who bore the day's burden and the heat.'

He said to one of them in reply,

'My friend, I am not cheating you.

Did you not agree with me for the usual daily wage?

Take what is yours and go.

What if I wish to give this last one the same as you?

Or am I not free to do as I wish with my own money?

Are you envious because I am generous?'

Thus, the last will be first, and the first will be last."

Source :

Eighteenth Sunday After Pentecost

Commemoration of S Remigius, Bishop and Bonfessor

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Corinthios

1 Cor I, 4-8

Fratres: Grátias ago Deo meo semper pro vobis in grátia Dei, quæ data est vobis in Christo Iesu: quod in ómnibus dívites facti estis in illo, in omni verbo et in omni sciéntia: sicut testimónium Christi confirmátum est in vobis: ita ut nihil vobis desit in ulla grátia, exspectántibus revelatiónem Dómini nostri Iesu Christi, qui et confirmábit vos usque in finem sine crímine, in die advéntus Dómini nostri Iesu Christi.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson

1 Cor I, 4-8

Brethren: I give thanks to my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given you in Christ Jesus, because in everything you have been enriched in Him, in all utterance and in all knowledge; even as the witness to the Christ has been made so firm in you that you lack no grace, while awaiting the appearance of our Lord Jesus Christ, Who will also keep you secure unto the end, unimpeachable in the day of the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt ix, 1-8

In illo témpore: Ascéndens Iesus in navículam, transfretávit et venit in civitátem suam. Et ecce, offerébant ei paralýticum iacéntem in lecto. Et videns Iesus fidem illórum, dixit paralýtico: Confíde, fili, remittúntur tibi peccáta tua. Et ecce, quidam de scribis dixérunt intra se: Hic blasphémat. Et cum vidísset Iesus cogitatiónes eórum, dixit: Ut quid cogitátis mala in córdibus vestris? Quid est facílius dícere: Dimittúntur tibi peccáta tua; an dícere: Surge et ámbula? Ut autem sciátis, quia Fílius hóminis habet potestátem in terra dimitténdi peccáta, tunc ait paralýtico: Surge, tolle lectum tuum, et vade in domum tuam. Et surréxit et ábiit in domum suam. Vidéntes autem turbæ timuérunt, et glorificavérunt Deum, qui dedit potestátem talem homínibus.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Matt ix, 1-8

At that time, Jesus, getting into a boat, crossed over and came to his own town. And behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a pallet. And Jesus, seeing their faith, said to the paralytic, Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven you. And behold, some of the scribes said within themselves, This man blasphemes. And Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, Why do you harbor evil thoughts in your hearts? For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Arise, and walk’? But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins, - then He said to the paralytic - Arise, take up your pallet and go to your house. And he arose, and went away to his house. But when the crowds saw it, they were struck with fear, and glorified God Who had given such power to men.

Considered as the day following Ember week, though owing to the movable date of Easter this is not always the case, this Sunday was formerly a vacant Sunday of account of the long ceremonial of the eve. Later it was given a Mass which has been composed for the dedication of the church of St. Michael in Rome.

The Gospel is connected with the liturgy of the Ember days in that it speaks on the forgiveness of sins.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year. Introduction and liturgical notes by Abbot Cabrol, O.S.B, The Talbot Press, Dublin 1957, p 698

Twenty-sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 136

Gospel

Mt 21:28-32

Jesus said to the chief priests and elders of the people:

"What is your opinion?

A man had two sons.

He came to the first and said,

'Son, go out and work in the vineyard today.'

He said in reply, 'I will not,'

but afterwards changed his mind and went.

The man came to the other son and gave the same order.

He said in reply, 'Yes, sir, 'but did not go.

Which of the two did his father's will?"

They answered, "The first."

Jesus said to them, "Amen, I say to you,

tax collectors and prostitutes

are entering the kingdom of God before you.

When John came to you in the way of righteousness,

you did not believe him;

but tax collectors and prostitutes did.

Yet even when you saw that,

you did not later change your minds and believe him."

Source :

Nineteenth Sunday After Pentecost

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Commemoration of St Bridget, widow

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Ephésios

Ephes iv, 23-28

Fratres: Renovámini spíritu mentis vestræ, et indúite novum hóminem, qui secúndum Deum creátus est in iustítia et sanctitáte veritátis. Propter quod deponéntes mendácium, loquímini veritátem unusquísque cum próximo suo: quóniam sumus ínvicem membra. Irascímini, et nolíte peccáre: sol non occídat super iracúndiam vestram. Nolíte locum dare diábolo: qui furabátur, iam non furétur; magis autem labóret, operándo mánibus suis, quod bonum est, ut hábeat, unde tríbuat necessitátem patiénti.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Ephes iv, 23-28

Brethren: Be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new man, which has been created according to God in justice and holiness of truth. Wherefore, put away lying and speak truth each one with his neighbor, because we are members of one another. Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down upon your anger; do not give place to the devil. He who was wont to steal, let him steal no longer; but rather let him labor, working with his hands at what is good, that he may have something to share with him who suffers need.

R.Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt 22:1-14

In illo témpore: Loquebátur Iesus princípibus sacerdótum et pharisaeis in parábolis, dicens: Símile factum est regnum coelórum hómini regi, qui fecit núptias fílio suo. Et misit servos suos vocáre invitátos ad nuptias, et nolébant veníre. Iterum misit álios servos, dicens: Dícite invitátis: Ecce, prándium meum parávi, tauri mei et altília occísa sunt, et ómnia paráta: veníte ad núptias. Illi autem neglexérunt: et abiérunt, álius in villam suam, álius vero ad negotiatiónem suam: réliqui vero tenuérunt servos eius, et contuméliis afféctos occidérunt. Rex autem cum audísset, iratus est: et, missis exercítibus suis, pérdidit homicídas illos et civitátem illórum succéndit. Tunc ait servis suis: Núptiæ quidem parátæ sunt, sed, qui invitáti erant, non fuérunt digni. Ite ergo ad exitus viárum et, quoscúmque invenéritis, vocáte ad núptias. Et egréssi servi eius in vias, congregavérunt omnes, quos invenérunt, malos et bonos: et implétæ sunt núptiæ discumbéntium. Intrávit autem rex, ut vidéret discumbéntes, et vidit ibi hóminem non vestítum veste nuptiáli. Et ait illi: Amíce, quómodo huc intrásti non habens vestem nuptiálem? At ille obmútuit. Tunc dixit rex minístris: Ligátis mánibus et pédibus eius, míttite eum in ténebras exterióres: ibi erit fletus et stridor déntium. Multi enim sunt vocáti, pauci vero elécti.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew

Matt 22:1-14

At that time, Jesus spoke to the chief priests and the Pharisees in parables, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like a king who made a marriage feast for his son. And he sent his servants to call in those invited to the marriage feast for his son. And he sent his servants to call in those invited to the marriage feast, but they would not come. Again he sent out other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, behold, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and fatlings are killed, and everything is ready; come to the marriage feast.’ But they made light of it, and went off, one to his farm, and another to his business; and the rest laid hold of his servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them. But when the king heard of it, he was angry; and he sent his armies, destroyed those murderers, and burnt their city. Then he said to his servants, ‘The marriage feast indeed is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy; go therefore to the crossroads, and invite to the marriage feast whomever you shall find.’ And his servants went out into the roads, and gathered all whom they found, both good and bad; and the marriage feast was filled with guests. Now the king went in to see the guests, and he saw there a man who had not on a wedding garment. And he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?’ But he was speechless. Then the king said to the attendants, ‘Bind his hands and feet and cast him forth into the darkness outside, where there will be the weeping and the gnashing of teeth.’ For many are called, but few are chosen.

God is the salvation of the people: He has prepared for them eternal happiness, to which all are invited and all will enjoy on condition they wear the wedding garment, that they may put on the new man of justice and truth.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H Gill and son Ltd., 1938, p 742.

The Epistle, Gospel and Collect teach us that God requires from those that serve him poverty of spirit and fear of sin.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year. Introduction and liturgical notes by Abbot Cabrol, O.S.B, The Talbot Press, Dublin 1957, p 701.

• Advertisement

Twenty-seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 139

Gospel

Mt 21:33-43

Jesus said to the chief priests and the elders of the people:

"Hear another parable.

There was a landowner who planted a vineyard,

put a hedge around it, dug a wine press in it, and built a tower.

Then he leased it to tenants and went on a journey.

When vintage time drew near,

he sent his servants to the tenants to obtain his produce.

But the tenants seized the servants and one they beat,

another they killed, and a third they stoned.

Again he sent other servants, more numerous than the first ones,

but they treated them in the same way.

Finally, he sent his son to them, thinking,

'They will respect my son.'

But when the tenants saw the son, they said to one another,

'This is the heir.

Come, let us kill him and acquire his inheritance.'

They seized him, threw him out of the vineyard, and killed him.

What will the owner of the vineyard do to those tenants when he comes?"

They answered him,

"He will put those wretched men to a wretched death

and lease his vineyard to other tenants

who will give him the produce at the proper times."

Jesus said to them, "Did you never read in the Scriptures:

The stone that the builders rejected

has become the cornerstone;

by the Lord has this been done,

and it is wonderful in our eyes?

Therefore, I say to you,

the kingdom of God will be taken away from you

and given to a people that will produce its fruit."

Source :

Twenty-eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 142

Gospel

Mt 22:1-14

Jesus again in reply spoke to the chief priests and elders of the people

in parables, saying,

"The kingdom of heaven may be likened to a king

who gave a wedding feast for his son.

He dispatched his servants

to summon the invited guests to the feast,

but they refused to come.

A second time he sent other servants, saying,

'Tell those invited: "Behold, I have prepared my banquet,

my calves and fattened cattle are killed,

and everything is ready; come to the feast."'

Some ignored the invitation and went away,

one to his farm, another to his business.

The rest laid hold of his servants,

mistreated them, and killed them.

The king was enraged and sent his troops,

destroyed those murderers, and burned their city.

Then he said to his servants, 'The feast is ready,

but those who were invited were not worthy to come.

Go out, therefore, into the main roads

and invite to the feast whomever you find.'

The servants went out into the streets

and gathered all they found, bad and good alike,

and the hall was filled with guests.

But when the king came in to meet the guests,

he saw a man there not dressed in a wedding garment.

The king said to him, 'My friend, how is it

that you came in here without a wedding garment?'

But he was reduced to silence.

Then the king said to his attendants, 'Bind his hands and feet,

and cast him into the darkness outside,

where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.'

Many are invited, but few are chosen."

Source :

Twentieth Sunday After Pentecost

Semi-double

White Vestments

Lectio

Ephes v, 15-21

Fratres: Vidéte, quómodo caute ambulétis: non quasi insipiéntes, sed ut sapiéntes, rediméntes tempus, quóniam dies mali sunt. Proptérea nolíte fíeri imprudéntes, sed intellegéntes, quae sit volúntas Dei. Et nolíte inebriári vino, in quo est luxúria: sed implémini Spíritu Sancto, loquéntes vobismetípsis in psalmis et hymnis et cánticis spirituálibus, cantántes et psalléntes in córdibus vestris Dómino: grátias agéntes semper pro ómnibus, in nómine Dómini nostri Iesu Christi, Deo et Patri. Subiecti ínvicem in timóre Christi.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson

Ephes v, 15-21

B rethren: See to it that you walk with care: not as unwise but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. Therefore, do not become foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not be drunk with wine, for in that is debauchery; but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your hearts to the Lord, giving thanks always for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father. Be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia ✠ sancti Evangélii secúndum Ioánnem.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioannes iv, 46-53

In illo témpore: Erat quidam régulus, cuius fílius infirmabátur Caphárnaum. Hic cum audísset, quia Iesus adveníret a Iudaea in Galilaeam, ábiit ad eum, et rogábat eum, ut descénderet et sanáret fílium eius: incipiébat enim mori. Dixit ergo Iesus ad eum: Nisi signa et prodígia vidéritis, non créditis. Dicit ad eum régulus: Dómine, descénde, priúsquam moriátur fílius meus. Dicit ei Iesus: Vade, fílius tuus vivit. Crédidit homo sermóni, quem dixit ei Iesus, et ibat. Iam autem eo descendénte, servi occurrérunt ei et nuntiavérunt, dicéntes, quia fílius eius víveret. Interrogábat ergo horam ab eis, in qua mélius habúerit. Et dixérunt ei: Quia heri hora séptima relíquit eum febris. Cognóvit ergo pater, quia illa hora erat, in qua dixit ei Iesus: Fílius tuus vivit: et crédidit ipse et domus eius tota.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation ☩ of the Holy Gospel according to John

John iv, 46-53

At that time, there was a certain royal official whose son was lying sick at Capharnaum. When he heard that Jesus had come from Judea into Galilee, he went to Him and besought Him to come down and heal his son, for he was at the point of death. Jesus therefore said to him, Unless you see signs and wonders, you do not believe. The royal official said to Him, Sir, come down before my child dies. Jesus said to him, Go your way, your son lives. The man believed the word that Jesus spoke to him, and departed. But even as he was now going down, his servants met him and brought word saying that his son lived. He asked of them therefore the hour in which he had got better. And they told him, Yesterday, at the seventh hour, the fever left him. The father knew then that it was at that very hour in which Jesus had said to him, Your son lives. And he himself believed, and his whole household. S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

The attitude of the royal official is an example of what our faith ought to be. Our Lord seems to put him off, but once again he implores Him to come and heal his dying son. Jesus does not come, but he assures the official that his child will recover. And, the man believed the word that Jesus had spoken to him,’ although only some time later did he learn that the miracle had happened.

The Saint Jerome Sunday Missal with liturgical commentary, edited by Reverend Thomas B. McDonough S.T.L. J.D. and Joseph Marren M.A., English edition edited by Dr. J. Molloy, Ph.D. Virtue and Company, Limited, London, 1966, p. 283.

St Thomas Aquinas says: “Every Mass has, for the benefit and salvation of men, all the efficacy of the Sacrifice of the Cross.”

God is just and merciful to all those who invoke Him and hope in Him; their reward is peace of mind.

St Mary My Everyday Missal and Heritage, by the monks of St Mary's Abbey Newark N.J., Rt. Rev. Patrick O'Brien, O.S.B Abbot, Benziger Brothers, Inc. Boston, San Francisco, Cincinnati, New York, Chicago, 1951, p 521.

Twenty First Sunday After Pentecost

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Ephes vi, 10-17

Fratres: Confortámini in Dómino et in poténtia virtútis ejus. Indúite vos armatúram Dei, ut póssitis stare advérsus insídias diáboli. Quóniam non est nobis colluctátio advérsus carnem et sánguinem: sed advérsus príncipes et potestátes, advérsus mundi rectóres tenebrárum harum, contra spirituália nequítiae, in coeléstibus. Proptérea accípite armatúram Dei, ut póssitis resístere in die malo et in ómnibus perfécti stare. State ergo succíncti lumbos vestros in veritáte, et indúti lorícam justítiæ, et calceáti pedes in præparatióne Evangélii pacis: in ómnibus suméntes scutum fídei, in quo póssitis ómnia tela nequíssimi ígnea exstínguere: et gáleam salútis assúmite: et gládium spíritus, quod est verbum Dei.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson

Ephes vi, 10-17

Brethren: Be strengthened in the Lord and in the might of His power. Put on the armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the Principalities and the Powers, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness on high. Therefore, take up the armour of God, that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and stand in all things perfect. Stand, therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breast-plate of justice, and having your feet shod with the readiness of the Gospel of peace, in all things taking up the shield of faith, with which you may be able to quench all the fiery darts of the most wicked one. And take unto you the helmet of salvation and the sword of the spirit, that is, the word of God.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt xviii, 23-35

In illo témpore: Dixit Jesus discípulis suis parábolam hanc: Assimilátum est regnum coelórum hómini regi, qui vóluit ratiónem pónere cum servis suis. Et cum coepísset ratiónem pónere, oblátus est ei unus, qui debébat ei decem mília talénta. Cum autem non habéret, unde rédderet, jussit eum dóminus ejus venúmdari et uxórem ejus et fílios et ómnia, quæ habébat, et reddi. Prócidens autem servus ille, orábat eum, dicens: Patiéntiam habe in me, et ómnia reddam tibi. Misértus autem dóminus servi illíus, dimísit eum et débitum dimísit ei. Egréssus autem servus ille, invénit unum de consérvis suis, qui debébat ei centum denários: et tenens suffocábat eum, dicens: Redde, quod debes. Et prócidens consérvus ejus, rogábat eum, dicens: Patiéntiam habe in me, et ómnia reddam tibi. Ille autem nóluit: sed ábiit, et misit eum in cárcerem, donec rédderet débitum. Vidéntes autem consérvi ejus, quæ fiébant, contristáti sunt valde: et venérunt et narravérunt dómino suo ómnia, quæ facta fúerant. Tunc vocávit illum dóminus suus: et ait illi: Serve nequam, omne débitum dimísi tibi, quóniam rogásti me: nonne ergo opórtuit et te miseréri consérvi tui, sicut et ego tui misértus sum? Et irátus dóminus ejus, trádidit eum tortóribus, quoadúsque rédderet univérsum débitum. Sic et Pater meus coeléstis fáciet vobis, si non remiséritis unusquísque fratri suo de córdibus vestris.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Matt xviii, 23-35

At that time, Jesus spoke to His disciples this parable: The kingdom of heaven is likened to a king who desired to settle accounts with his servants. And when he had begun the settlement, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. And as he had no means of paying, his master ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. But the servant fell down and besought him, saying, ‘Have patience with me and I will pay you all!’ And moved with compassion, the master of that servant released him, and forgave him the debt. But as that servant went out, he met one of his fellow-servants who owed him a hundred denarii and he laid hold of him, and throttled him, saying, ‘Pay what you owe.’ His fellow-servant therefore fell down and began to entreat him, saying, ‘Have patience with me and I will pay you all.’ But he would not; but went away and cast him into prison until he should pay what was due. His fellow-servants therefore, seeing what had happened, were very much saddened, and they went and informed their master of what had taken place. Then his master called him, and said to him, ‘Wicked servant! I forgave you all the debt, because you entreated me. Should not you also have had pity on your fellow-servant, even as I had pity on you?’ And his master, being angry, handed him over to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him. So also My heavenly Father will do to you, if you do not each forgive your brothers from your hearts S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

The Gospel of this Sunday contains the famous parable of the unforgiving servant, which teaches us in the clearest manner our duty of forgiving our brother if we wish to be forgiven by God the enormous debt we owe him

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 748.

Chapel of the Transfiguration, SSPX, in Etobicoke, Ontario, 21st Sunday after Pentecost

Twenty-ninth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 145

Gospel

Mt 22:15-21

The Pharisees went off

and plotted how they might entrap Jesus in speech.

They sent their disciples to him, with the Herodians, saying,

"Teacher, we know that you are a truthful man

and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth.

And you are not concerned with anyone's opinion,

for you do not regard a person's status.

Tell us, then, what is your opinion:

Is it lawful to pay the census tax to Caesar or not?"

Knowing their malice, Jesus said,

"Why are you testing me, you hypocrites?

Show me the coin that pays the census tax."

Then they handed him the Roman coin.

He said to them, "Whose image is this and whose inscription?"

They replied, "Caesar's."

At that he said to them,

"Then repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar

and to God what belongs to God."

Source :

Feast of our Lord Jesus Christ the King

Commemoration of the Twentieth Second Sunday after Pentecost

Double of the First Class

White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Colossénses

Col i. 12-20

Sratres: Grátias ágimus Deo Patri, qui dignos nos fecit in partem sortis sanctórum in lúmine: qui erípuit nos de potestáte tenebrárum, et tránstulit in regnum Fílii dilectiónis suæ, in quo habémus redemptiónem per sánguinem eius, remissiónem peccatórum: qui est imágo Dei invisíbilis, primogénitus omnis creatúra: quóniam in ipso cóndita sunt univérsa in cœlis et in terra, visibília et invisibília, sive Throni, sive Dominatiónes, sive Principátus, sive Potestátes: ómnia per ipsum, et in ipso creáta sunt: et ipse est ante omnes, et ómnia in ipso constant. Et ipse est caput córporis Ecclésiæ, qui est princípium, primogénitus ex mórtuis: ut sit in ómnibus ipse primátum tenens; quia in ipso complácuit omnem plenitúdinem inhabitáre; et per eum reconciliáre ómnia in ipsum, pacíficans per sánguinem crucis eius, sive quæ in terris, sive quæ in cœlis sunt, in Christo Iesu Dómino nostro.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Colossians

Col 1. 12-20

Brethren: We give thanks to God the Father Who has made us worthy to share the lot of the saints in light. He has rescued us from the power of darkness, and transferred us into the kingdom of His beloved Son, in Whom we have our redemption through His blood, the remission of sins. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature. For in Him were created all things in the heavens and on the earth, things visible and things invisible, whether Thrones, or Dominations, or Principalities, or Powers. All things have been created through and unto Him, and He is before all creatures, and in Him all things hold together. Again, He is the head of the body, the Church; He, Who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the first place. For it has pleased [God the Father] that in Him all fullness should dwell and that through Him He should reconcile to Himself all things, whether on the earth or in the heavens, making peace through the blood of His Cross, in Christ Jesus our Lord.

R.Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioann xviii. 33-37

In illo témpore: Dixit Pilátus ad Iesum: Tu es Rex Iudæórum? Respóndit Iesus: A temetípso hoc dicis, an álii dixérunt tibi de me? Respóndit Pilátus: Numquid ego Iudǽus sum? Gens tua et pontífices tradidérunt te mihi: quid fecísti? Respóndit Iesus: Regnum meum non est de hoc mundo. Si ex hoc mundo esset regnum meum, minístri mei útique decertárent, ut non tráderer Iudǽis: nunc autem regnum meum non est hinc. Dixit ítaque ei Pilátus: Ergo Rex es tu? Respóndit Iesus: Tu dicis, quia Rex sum ego. Ego in hoc natus sum et ad hoc veni in mundum, ut testimónium perhíbeam veritáti: omnis, qui est ex veritáte, audit vocem meam.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

John xviii. 33 - 37

At that time, Pilate said to Jesus, Are You the King of the Jews? Jesus answered, Do you say this of yourself, or have others told you of Me? Pilate answered, Am I a Jew? Your own people and the chief priests have delivered You to me. What have You done? Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, My followers would certainly have fought that I might not be delivered to the Jews. But, as it is, My kingdom is not from here. Pilate therefore said to Him, You are then a King? Jesus answered, You say it: I am a King. This is why I was born, and why I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.

In his Encyclical of 11th December, 1925, H.H. Pius XI denounced the great modern heresy of laicism. It refuses to recognise the rights of God and His Christ over persons and peoples and organises the lives of individuals, family, and of society itself, as though God did not exist. This laicism ruins society, because in place of God and one’s neighbour, it substitutes pride and egoism. It begets jealousy between individuals, hatred between classes and rivalry between nations.

The world denies Christ because they ignore His royal perogatives. It must be instructed on this subject.

The Word Incarnate is, by right, the King of the world but he has left to temporal kings the exercise of civil power; He kept, however, His spiritual royalty, to rule the mind and conscience of men by doctrine and faith.

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1940/47, p. 1533, 1536.

Thirtieth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 148

Gospel

Mt 22:34-40

When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees,

they gathered together, and one of them,

a scholar of the law tested him by asking,

"Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?"

He said to him,

"You shall love the Lord, your God,

with all your heart,

with all your soul,

and with all your mind.

This is the greatest and the first commandment.

The second is like it:

You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments."

Source :

Twenty Third Sunday After Pentecost

Commemoration of the fifth day within the Octave of All Saints

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Philippénses.

Phil iii, 17-21; iv, 1-3

Fratres: Imitatóres mei estóte, et observáte eos, qui ita ámbulant, sicut habétis formam nostram. Multi enim ámbulant, quos sæpe dicébam vobis - nunc autem et flens dico - inimícos Crucis Christi: quorum finis intéritus: quorum Deus venter est: et glória in confusióne ipsórum, qui terréna sápiunt. Nostra autem conversátio in cœlis est: unde etiam Salvatórem exspectámus, Dóminum nostrum Iesum Christum, qui reformábit corpus humilitátis nostræ, configurátum córpori claritátis suæ, secúndum operatiónem, qua étiam possit subiícere sibi ómnia. Itaque, fratres mei caríssimi et desideratíssimi, gáudium meum et coróna mea: sic state in Dómino, caríssimi. Evódiam rogo et Sýntychen déprecor idípsum sápere in Dómino. Etiam rogo et te, germáne compar, ádiuva illas, quæ mecum laboravérunt in Evangélio cum Cleménte et céteris adiutóribus meis, quorum nómina sunt in libro vitæ.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Philippians [/i]

Phil iii, 17-21; iv, 1-3

Brethren: Be imitators of me, and mark those who walk after the pattern you have in us. For many walk, of whom I have told you often and now tell you even weeping, that they are enemies of the Cross of Christ. Their end is ruin, their god is the belly, their glory is in their shame, they mind the things of earth. But our citizenship is in heaven from which also we eagerly await a Savior, our Lord Jesus Christ, Who will refashion the body of our lowliness, conforming it to the body of His glory by exerting the power by which He is able also to subject all things to Himself. So then, my brethren, beloved and longed for, my joy and my crown, stand fast thus in the Lord, beloved. I entreat Evodia and I exhort Syntyche to be of one mind in the Lord. And I beseech you also, my loyal comrade, help them, for they have toiled with me in the gospel, as have Clement and the rest of my fellow-workers whose names are in the book of life.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt ix, 18-26

I n illo témpore: Loquénte Iesu ad turbas, ecce, princeps unus accéssit et adorábat eum, dicens: Dómine, fília mea modo defúncta est: sed veni, impóne manum tuam super eam, et vivet. Et surgens Iesus sequebátur eum et discípuli eius. Et ecce múlier, quæ sánguinis fluxum patiebátur duódecim annis, accéssit retro et tétigit fímbriam vestiménti eius. Dicébat enim intra se: Si tetígero tantum vestiméntum eius, salva ero. At Iesus convérsus et videns eam, dixit: Confíde, fília, fides tua te salvam fecit. Et salva facta est múlier ex illa hora. Et cum venísset Iesus in domum príncipis, et vidísset tibícines et turbam tumultuántem, dicebat: Recédite: non est enim mórtua puélla, sed dormit. Et deridébant eum. Et cum eiécta esset turba, intrávit et ténuit manum eius. Et surréxit puélla. Et éxiit fama hæc in univérsam terram illam.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

S. Per Evangelica dicta, deleantur nostra delicta.

Gospel

Matt 22:15-21

A t that time, as Jesus was speaking to the crowds, behold, a ruler came up and worshipped Him, saying, "Lord, my daughter has just now died; but come and lay Your hand upon her, and she will return to life." And Jesus arose and followed him, and so did His disciples. Now a woman who for twelve years had been suffering from haemorrhage, came up behind him and touched the tassel of His cloak saying to herself, "If I touch but His cloak I shall be saved." But Jesus, turning and seeing her, said, "Take courage, daughter; your faith has saved you." And the woman was restored to health from that moment. And when Jesus came to the ruler's house, and saw the flute players and the crowd making a din, He said, "Begone, the girl is asleep, not dead." And they laughed Him to scorn. But when the crowd had been put out, He went in and took her by the hand; and the girl arose. And the report of this spread throughout all that district. S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.((sea

744. Praise be to Thee, O Christ.

St Paul again speaks of the last day and the second coming of Jesus Christ; it is a thought which was very much dwelt on by early Christians.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year. Introduction and liturgical notes by Abbot Cabrol, O.S.B, The Talbot Press, Dublin 1957, p 713.

The season after Pentecost represents the long pilgrimage of the Church on earth. The Church reminds us, as the last Sunday draws near, of the day when Christ will appear in the heavens to raise up the elect to the life of glory as he raised the daughter of the ruler to new life. The chants of this Mass are repeated on every Sunday from this to Advent. They all breathe of hope and prayer.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 755.

St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary, VA United States.

Thirty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 151

Gospel

Mt 23:1-12

Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, saying,

"The scribes and the Pharisees

have taken their seat on the chair of Moses.

Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you,

but do not follow their example.

For they preach but they do not practice.

They tie up heavy burdens hard to carry

and lay them on people's shoulders,

but they will not lift a finger to move them.

All their works are performed to be seen.

They widen their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels.

They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues,

greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation 'Rabbi.'

As for you, do not be called 'Rabbi.'

You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers.

Call no one on earth your father;

you have but one Father in heaven.

Do not be called 'Master';

you have but one master, the Christ.

The greatest among you must be your servant.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled;

but whoever humbles himself will be exalted."

Source :

Fifth Sunday after Epiphany (transferred)

Commemoration of St Martin Confessor and Bishop

Semi-Double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Col. iii. 12-17

Fratres: Indúite vos sicut electi Dei, sancti et dilecti, víscera misericórdiæ, benignitátem, humilitátem, modéstiam, patiéntiam: supportántes ínvicem, et donántes vobismetípsis, si quis advérsus áliquem habet querélam: sicut et Dóminus donávit vobis, ita et vos. Super ómnia autem hæc caritátem habéte, quod est vínculum perfectionis: et pax Christi exsúltet in córdibus vestris, in qua et vocáti estis in uno córpore: et grati estóte. Verbum Christi hábitet in vobis abundánter, in omni sapiéntia, docéntes et commonéntes vosmetípsos psalmis, hymnis et cánticis spirituálibus, in grátia cantántes in córdibus vestris Deo. Omne, quodcúmque fácitis in verbo aut in ópere, ómnia in nómine Dómini Jesu Christi, grátias agéntes Deo et Patri per Jesum Christum, Dóminum nostrum.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Colossians

Col. iii. 12-17

Brethren: Put on, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, a heart of mercy, kindness, humility, meekness, patience. Bear with one another and forgive one another, if anyone has a grievance against any other; even as the Lord has forgiven you, so also do you forgive. But above all these things have charity, which is the bond of perfection. And may the peace of Christ reign in your hearts; unto that peace, indeed, you were called in one body. Show yourselves thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you abundantly: in all wisdom teach and admonish one another by psalms, hymns and spiritual songs, singing in your hearts to God by His grace. Whatever you do in word or in work, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through Jesus Christ our Lord.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia✠ sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt xiii. 24-30

In illo témpore: Dixit Jesus turbis parábolam hanc: Símile factum est regnum cœlórum hómini, qui seminávit bonum semen in agro suo. Cum autem dormírent hómines, venit inimícus ejus, et superseminávit zizánia in médio trítici, et ábiit. Cum autem crevísset herba et fructum fecísset, tunc apparuérunt et zizánia. Accedéntes autem servi patrisfamílias, dixérunt ei: Dómine, nonne bonum semen seminásti in agro tuo? Unde ergo habet zizánia? Et ait illis: Inimícus homo hoc fecit. Servi autem dixérunt ei: Vis, imus, et collígimus ea? Et ait: Non: ne forte colligéntes zizánia eradicétis simul cum eis et tríticum. Sínite utráque créscere usque ad messem, et in témpore messis dicam messóribus: Collígite primum zizáania, et alligáte ea in fascículos ad comburéndum, tríticum autem congregáta in hórreum meum.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation☩ of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew

Matt xiii. 24-30

At that time, Jesus spoke this parable to the crowds: The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field; but while men were asleep, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. And when the blade sprang up and brought forth fruit, then the weeds appeared as well. And the servants of the householder came and said to him, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have weeds?’ He said to them, ‘An enemy has done this.’ And the servants said to him, ‘Will you have us go and gather them up?’ ‘No,’ he said, ‘lest in gathering the weeds you root up the wheat along with them. Let both grow together until the harvest; and at harvest time I will say to the reapers: Gather up the weeds first, and bind them in bundles to burn; but gather the wheat into my barns.’

R. Praise be to Thee, O Christ.

The divinity of Jesus was manifested to the Jews, not only by works, but also by his words. His teaching was extraordinary in its direct simplicity, its depth of meaning and its power.

The Introit, Gradual, Offertory and Communion as on the Third Sunday.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 197.

By means of a parable, our Lord teaches us about the mystery of iniquity (as St Paul calls it): the weeds growing unchecked among the weeds. Not long before the day of judgement will the weeds be rooted up; in the Church on earth both saints and sinners are living side by side.

The St Jerome Sunday Missal with Liturgical Commentary, edited by Thomas B. McDonough, S.T.L, J.D. & Joseph Marren MA, p 299, London 1966, p. 299.

SSPX, NZ District

• Advertisement

Thirty-second Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 154

Gospel

Mt 25:1-13

"The kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins

who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.

Five of them were foolish and five were wise.

The foolish ones, when taking their lamps,

brought no oil with them,

but the wise brought flasks of oil with their lamps.

Since the bridegroom was long delayed,

they all became drowsy and fell asleep.

At midnight, there was a cry,

'Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!'

Then all those virgins got up and trimmed their lamps.

The foolish ones said to the wise,

'Give us some of your oil,

for our lamps are going out.'

But the wise ones replied,

'No, for there may not be enough for us and you.

Go instead to the merchants and buy some for yourselves.'

While they went off to buy it,

the bridegroom came

and those who were ready went into the wedding feast with him.

Then the door was locked.

Afterwards the other virgins came and said,

'Lord, Lord, open the door for us!'

But he said in reply,

'Amen, I say to you, I do not know you.'

Therefore, stay awake,

for you know neither the day nor the hour."

Source :

25th Sunday after Pentecost*

Commemoration of St Elizabeth, widow

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Thessalonicénses

1 Thess i. 2-10

Fratres: Grátias ágimus Deo semper pro ómnibus vobis, memóriam vestri faciéntes in oratiónibus nostris sine intermissióne, mémores óperis fídei vestræ, et labóris, et caritátis, et sustinéntiæ spei Dómini nostri Iesu Christi, ante Deum et Patrem nostrum: sciéntes, fratres, dilécti a Deo. electiónem vestram: quia Evangélium nostrum non fuit ad vos in sermóne tantum, sed et in virtúte, et in Spíritu Sancto, et in plenitúdine multa, sicut scitis quales fuérimus in vobis propter vos. Et vos imitatóres nostri facti estis, et Dómini, excipiéntes verbum in tribulatióne multa, cum gáudio Spíritus Sancti: ita ut facti sitis forma ómnibus credéntibus in Macedónia et in Acháia. A vobis enim diffamátus est sermo Dómini, non solum in Macedónia et in Acháia, sed et in omni loco fides vestra, quæ est ad Deum, profécta est, ita ut non sit nobis necésse quidquam loqui. Ipsi enim de nobis annúntiant, qualem intróitum habuérimus ad vos: et quómodo convérsi estis ad Deum a simulácris, servíre Deo vivo et vero, et exspectáre Fílium eius de coelis quem suscitávit ex mórtuis Iesum, qui erípuit nos ab ira ventúra

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Thessalonicénses

1 Thess i. 2-10

Brethren: We give thanks to God always for you all, continually making a remembrance of you in our prayers; being mindful before God our Father of your work of faith, and labor, and charity, and your enduring hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. We know, brethren, beloved of God, how you were chosen. For our Gospel was not delivered to you in word only, but in power also, and in the Holy Spirit, and in much fullness, as indeed you know what manner of men we have been among you for your sakes. And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, receiving the word in great tribulation, with joy of the Holy Spirit, so that you became a pattern to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia. For from you the word of the Lord has been spread abroad, not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but in every place your faith in God has gone forth, so that we need say nothing further. For they themselves report concerning us how we entered among you, and how you turned to God from idols, to serve the living and true God, and to await from heaven Jesus, His Son, Whom He raised from the dead, Who has delivered us from the wrath to come.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt xiii. 31-35

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus turbis parábolam hanc: Símile est regnum coelórum grano sinápis, quod accípiens homo seminávit in agro suo: quod mínimum quidem est ómnibus semínibus: cum autem créverit, maius est ómnibus oléribus, et fit arbor, ita ut vólucres coeli véniant et hábitent in ramis eius. Aliam parábolam locútus est eis: Símile est regnum coelórum ferménto, quod accéptum múlier abscóndit in farínæ satis tribus, donec fermentátum est totum. Hæc ómnia locútus est Iesus in parábolis ad turbas: et sine parábolis non loquebátur eis: ut implerétur quod dictum erat per Prophétam dicéntem: Apériam in parábolis os meum, eructábo abscóndita a constitutióne mundi

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Matt xiii. 31-35

At that time, Jesus spoke this parable to the crowds: The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed, which a man took and sowed in his field. This indeed is the smallest of all the seeds; but when it grows up it is larger than any herb and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and dwell in its branches. He told them another parable: The kingdom of heaven is like leaven, which a woman took and buried in three measures of flour, until all of it was leavened. All these things Jesus spoke to the crowds in parables, and without parables he did not speak to them; that what was spoken by the prophet might be fulfilled, I will open My mouth in parables, I will utter things hidden since the foundation of the world. S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

The Gospel as on last Sunday teaches us in parables. The mustard seed and the leaven are both figures of the Church. They can be taken as developing the glorious doctrine of the Kingship of Christ over the whole world.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year, Introduction and liturgical notes by Abbot Cabrol, O.S.B., sixteenth edition, 1957, Talbot Press, Dublin, revised and brought up to date by the Benedictines of Quarr Abbey, p 97.

*Resumed Sixth Sunday after Epiphany

Thirty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 157

Gospel

Mt 25:14-30

"A man going on a journey

called in his servants and entrusted his possessions to them.

To one he gave five talents; to another, two; to a third, one--

to each according to his ability.

Then he went away.

Immediately the one who received five talents went and traded with them,

and made another five.

Likewise, the one who received two made another two.

But the man who received one went off and dug a hole in the ground

and buried his master's money.

"After a long time

the master of those servants came back

and settled accounts with them.

The one who had received five talents came forward

bringing the additional five.

He said, 'Master, you gave me five talents.

See, I have made five more.'

His master said to him, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant.

Since you were faithful in small matters,

I will give you great responsibilities.

Come, share your master's joy.'

Then the one who had received two talents also came forward and said,

'Master, you gave me two talents.

See, I have made two more.'

His master said to him, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant.

Since you were faithful in small matters,

I will give you great responsibilities.

Come, share your master's joy.'

Then the one who had received the one talent came forward and said,

'Master, I knew you were a demanding person,

harvesting where you did not plant

and gathering where you did not scatter;

so out of fear I went off and buried your talent in the ground.

Here it is back.'

His master said to him in reply, 'You wicked, lazy servant!

So you knew that I harvest where I did not plant

and gather where I did not scatter?

Should you not then have put my money in the bank

so that I could have got it back with interest on my return?

Now then! Take the talent from him and give it to the one with ten.

For to everyone who has,

more will be given and he will grow rich;

but from the one who has not,

even what he has will be taken away.

And throw this useless servant into the darkness outside,

where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.'"

Source :

Twenty fourth and last Sunday after Pentecost

Commemoration of St. Sylvester abbot and confessor

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Col i. 9-14

Fratres: Non cessámus pro vobis orántes et postulántes, ut impleámini agnitióne voluntátis Dei, in omni sapiéntia et intelléctu spiritáli: ut ambulétis digne Deo per ómnia placéntes: in omni ópere bono fructificántes, et crescéntes in scientia Dei: in omni virtúte confortáti secúndum poténtiam claritátis eius in omni patiéntia, et longanimitáte cum gáudio, grátias agentes Deo Patri, qui dignos nos fecit in partem sortis sanctórum in lúmine: qui erípuit nos de potestáte tenebrárum, et tránstulit in regnum Fílii dilectiónis suæ, in quo habémus redemptiónem per sánguinem eius, remissiónem peccatórum.

RDeo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Collosians

Col i. 9-14

Brethren: We have been praying for you unceasingly, asking that you may be filled with knowledge of God’s will, in all spiritual wisdom and understanding. May you walk worthily of God and please Him in all things, bearing fruit in every good work and growing in the knowledge of God. May you be completely strengthened through His glorious power unto perfect patience and long-suffering; joyfully rendering thanks to God the Father, Who has made us worthy to share the lot of the saints in light. He has rescued us from the power of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of His beloved Son, in Whom we have our redemption, through His Blood, the remission of our sins.

R.Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia✠sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt xxiv. 15-35

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Cum vidéritis abominatiónem desolatiónis, quæ dicta est a Daniéle Prophéta, stantem in loco sancto: qui legit, intélligat: tunc qui in Iudǽa sunt, fúgiant ad montes: et qui in tecto, non descéndat tóllere áliquid de domo sua: et qui in agro, non revertátur tóllere túnicam suam. Væ autem prægnántibus et nutriéntibus in illis diébus. Oráte autem, ut non fiat fuga vestra in híeme vel sábbato. Erit enim tunc tribulátio magna, qualis non fuit ab inítio mundi usque modo, neque fiet. Et nisi breviáti fuíssent dies illi, non fíeret salva omnis caro: sed propter eléctos breviabúntur dies illi. Tunc si quis vobis díxerit: Ecce, hic est Christus, aut illic: nolíte crédere. Surgent enim pseudochrísti et pseudoprophétæ, et dabunt signa magna et prodígia, ita ut in errórem inducántur - si fíeri potest - étiam elécti. Ecce, prædíxi vobis. Si ergo díxerint vobis: Ecce, in desérto est, nolíte exíre: ecce, in penetrálibus, nolíte crédere. Sicut enim fulgur exit ab Oriénte et paret usque in Occidéntem: ita erit et advéntus Fílii hóminis. Ubicúmque fúerit corpus, illic congregabúntur et áquilæ. Statim autem post tribulatiónem diérum illórum sol obscurábitur, et luna non dabit lumen suum, et stellæ cadent de cælo, et virtútes cœlórum commovebúntur: et tunc parébit signum Fílii hóminis in cœlo: et tunc plangent omnes tribus terræ: et vidébunt Fílium hóminis veniéntem in núbibus cæli cum virtúte multa et maiestáte. Et mittet Angelos suos cum tuba et voce magna: et congregábunt eléctos eius a quátuor ventis, a summis cœlórum usque ad términos eórum. Ab árbore autem fici díscite parábolam: Cum iam ramus eius tener fúerit et fólia nata, scitis, quia prope est æstas: ita et vos cum vidéritis hæc ómnia, scitóte, quia prope est in iánuis. Amen, dico vobis, quia non præteríbit generátio hæc, donec ómnia hæc fiant. Cœlum et terra transíbunt, verba autem mea non præteríbunt.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation☩of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew

R.Glory be to Thee, O Lord.

Matt. xxiv. 15-35

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: When you see the abomination of desolation, which was spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place - let him who reads understand - then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains; and let him who is on the housetop not go down to take anything from his house; and let him who is in the field not turn back to take his cloak. But woe to those who are with child, or have infants at the breast in those days! But pray that your flight may not be in the winter, or on the Sabbath. For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, nor will be. And unless those days had been shortened, no living creature would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened. Then if anyone say to you, ‘Behold, here is the Christ,’ or ‘There He is,’ do not believe it. For false christs and false prophets will arise, and will show great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. Behold, I have told it to you beforehand. If therefore they say to you, ‘Behold, He is in the desert,’ do not go forth; ‘Behold, He is in the inner chambers,’ do not believe it. For as the lightning comes forth from the east and shines even to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. Wherever the body is, there will the eagles be gathered together. But immediately after the tribulation of those days, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give her light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of heaven will be shaken. And then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven; and then will all tribes of the earth mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming upon the clouds of heaven with great power and majesty. And He will send forth His angels with a trumpet and a great sound, and they will gather His elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other. Now from the fig tree learn this parable. When its branch is now tender, and the leaves break forth, you know that summer is near. Even so, when you see all these things, know that it is near, even at the door. Amen I say to you, this generation will not pass away till all these things have been accomplished. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

On the last Sunday of the liturgical year our thoughts are directed to the great truths of the ending of the world and the coming of Christ in judgement. The Gospel describes the events that dread day. God has given us redemption through the blood of Christ: if we call on Him, He will hear us and bring back from captivity. Therefore, if we would have the shelter of divine mercy at the end we must strive to cooperate with divine grace.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 759.

The Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe

Gospel

Mt 25:31-46

"When the Son of Man comes in his glory,

and all the angels with him,

he will sit upon his glorious throne,

and all the nations will be assembled before him.

And he will separate them one from another,

as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.

He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

Then the king will say to those on his right,

'Come, you who are blessed by my Father.

Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

For I was hungry and you gave me food,

I was thirsty and you gave me drink,

a stranger and you welcomed me,

naked and you clothed me,

ill and you cared for me,

in prison and you visited me.'

Then the righteous will answer him and say,

'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you,

or thirsty and give you drink?

When did we see you a stranger and welcome you,

or naked and clothe you?

When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?'

And the king will say to them in reply,

'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did

for one of the least brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Then he will say to those on his left,

'Depart from me, you accursed,

into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

For I was hungry and you gave me no food,

I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,

a stranger and you gave me no welcome,

naked and you gave me no clothing,

ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.'

Then they will answer and say,

'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty

or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison,

and not minister to your needs?'

He will answer them, 'Amen, I say to you,

what you did not do for one of these least ones,

you did not do for me.'

And these will go off to eternal punishment,

but the righteous to eternal life."

Source :

First Sunday of Advent

Lectionary: 2

Gospel

MK 13:33-37

“Be watchful! Be alert!

You do not know when the time will come.

It is like a man traveling abroad.

He leaves home and places his servants in charge,

each with his own work,

and orders the gatekeeper to be on the watch.

Watch, therefore;

you do not know when the lord of the house is coming,

whether in the evening, or at midnight,

or at cockcrow, or in the morning.

May he not come suddenly and find you sleeping.

What I say to you, I say to all: ‘Watch!’”

Source :

Second Sunday of Advent

Commemoration of St. Melchiades, Pope and Martyr

Station at Holy Cross in Jerusalem

(Indulgence of 10 years and 10 quarantines)

Privileged Sunday of the Second Class, Semi Double

Purple Vestments

Lectio

Lectio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apostoli ad Romános.

Rom xv. 4-13

Fratres: Quæcúmque scripta sunt, ad nostram doctrínam scripta sunt: ut per patiéntiam et consolatiónem Scripturárum spem habeámus. Deus autem patiéntiæ et solácii det vobis idípsum sápere in altérutrum secúndum Jesum Christum: ut unánimes, uno ore honorificétis Deum et Patrem Dómini nostri Jesu Christi. Propter quod suscípite ínvicem, sicut et Christus suscépit vos in honórem Dei. Dico enim Christum Jesum minístrum fuísse circumcisiónis propter veritátem Dei, ad confirmándas promissiónes patrum: gentes autem super misericórdia honoráre Deum, sicut scriptum est: Proptérea confitébor tibi in géntibus, Dómine, et nómini tuo cantábo. Et íterum dicit: Lætámini, gentes, cum plebe ejus. Et iterum: Laudáte, omnes gentes, Dóminum: et magnificáte eum, omnes pópuli. Et rursus Isaías ait: Erit radix Jesse, et qui exsúrget régere gentes, in eum gentes sperábunt. Deus autem spei répleat vos omni gáudio et pace in credéndo: ut abundétis in spe et virtúte Spíritus Sancti.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Romans

Rom xv. 4-13

Brethren: Whatever things have been written have been written for our instruction, that through the patience and the consolation afforded by the Scriptures we may have hope. May then the God of patience and of comfort grant you to be of one mind towards one another according to Jesus Christ; that, on in spirit, you may with one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Wherefore receive one another, even as Christ has received you to the honor of God. For I say that Christ Jesus has been a minister of the circumcision in order to show God’s fidelity in confirming the promises made to our fathers, but that the Gentiles glorify God because of His mercy, as it is written, Therefore will I praise You among the Gentiles, and will sing to Your name. And again He says, Rejoice, you Gentiles, with His people. And again, Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles; and sing His praises, all you peoples. And again Isaias says, There shall be the root of Jesse, and He Who shall arise to rule the Gentiles... in Him the Gentiles shall hope. Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope and in the power of the Holy Spirit.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia ✠sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt xi. 2-10

In illo tempore: Cum audísset Joánnes in vínculis ópera Christi, mittens duos de discípulis suis, ait illi: Tu es, qui ventúrus es, an alium exspectámus ? Et respóndens Jesus, ait illis: Eúntes renuntiáte Joánni, quæ audístis et vidístis. Cæci vident, claudi ámbulant, leprósi mundántur, surdi áudiunt, mórtui resúrgunt, páuperes evangelizántur: et beátus est, qui non fúerit scandalizátus in me. Illis autem abeúntibus, coepit Jesus dícere ad turbas de Joánne: Quid exístis in desértum vidére ? arúndinem vento agitátam ? Sed quid exístis videre ? hóminem móllibus vestitum ? Ecce, qui móllibus vestiúntur, in dómibus regum sunt. Sed quid exístis vidére ? Prophétam ? Etiam dico vobis, et plus quam Prophétam. Hic est enim, de quo scriptum est: Ecce, ego mitto Angelum meum ante fáciem tuam, qui præparábit viam tuam ante te.

R.Laus tibi, Christe!

S.Per Evangelica dicta, deleantur nostra delicta.

Gospel

Continuation ☩of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew

R.Glory be to Thee, O Lord.

Matt. xi. 2-10

At that time, when John had heard in prison of the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples to say to Him, Art thou He that is to come, or shall we look for another? And Jesus answering said to them, Go and relate to John what you have heard and seen: the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead rise, the poor have the gospel preached to them. And blessed is he who is not scandalized in Me. Then, as they went away, Jesus began to say to the multitudes concerning John, What went you out into the desert to see? A reed shaken with the wind? But what did you go out to see? A man clothed in soft garments? Behold, those who wear soft garments are in the houses of kings. But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. This is he of whom it is written, ‘Behold, I send my messenger before Thy face, who shall make ready Thy way before Thee.

Jerusalem or Sion, a figure of the Church, is called upon to rejoice in the coming of the Messias and to prepare herself. This explains the choice of the station of the Church of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem, built in Rome by St Helena especially to contain the relics of the Passion. The Introit, Gradual and Communion make mention of the Holy City. The Gospel tells us of St John. The Gospel tells us of St. John the Baptist whose special mission was to prepare the Jews for the coming of the Messias.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year. Introduction and liturgical notes by Abbot Cabrol, O.S.B, The Talbot Press, Dublin 1957, p 4.

The scaffolding is down now, and the paint (redone by the original firm) is done.

Second Sunday of Advent

Lectionary: 5

Reading 1

Gospel

MK 1:1-8

The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ the Son of God.

As it is written in Isaiah the prophet:

Behold, I am sending my messenger ahead of you;

he will prepare your way.

A voice of one crying out in the desert:

“Prepare the way of the Lord,

make straight his paths.”

John the Baptist appeared in the desert

proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

People of the whole Judean countryside

and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem

were going out to him

and were being baptized by him in the Jordan River

as they acknowledged their sins.

John was clothed in camel’s hair,

with a leather belt around his waist.

He fed on locusts and wild honey.

And this is what he proclaimed:

“One mightier than I is coming after me.

I am not worthy to stoop and loosen the thongs of his sandals.

I have baptized you with water;

he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

Source :

Third Sunday of Advent 'Gaudete Sunday'

Station at St Peter’s

Privileged Sunday of the Second Class, Semi Double

Rose Vestments

Lectio

Lectio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Philippénses

Philipp iv, 4-7

Fratres: Gaudéte in Dómino semper: íterum dico, gaudéte. Modéstia vestra nota sit ómnibus homínibus: Dóminus prope est. Nihil sollíciti sitis: sed in omni oratióne et obsecratióne, cum gratiárum actióne, petitiónes vestræ innotéscant apud Deum. Et pax Dei, quæ exsúperat omnem sensum, custódiat corda vestra et intellegéntias vestras, in Christo Iesu, Dómino nostro.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Philippians

Philipp iv, 4-7

Brethren: Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say, rejoice. Let your moderation be known to all men. The Lord is near. Have no anxiety, but in every prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your petitions be made known to God. And may the peace of God which surpasses all understanding guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus, our Lord.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioann i. 19-23

In illo tempore: Misérunt Iudaei ab Ierosólymis sacerdótes et levítas ad Ioánnem, ut interrogárent eum: Tu quis es? Et conféssus est, et non negávit: et conféssus est: Quia non sum ego Christus. Et interrogavérunt eum: Quid ergo? Elías es tu? Et dixit: Non sum. Prophéta es tu? Et respondit: Non. Dixérunt ergo ei: Quis es, ut respónsum demus his, qui misérunt nos? Quid dicis de te ipso? Ait: Ego vox clamántis in desérto: Dirígite viam Dómini, sicut dixit Isaías Prophéta. Et qui missi fúerant, erant ex pharisaeis. Et interrogavérunt eum, et dixérunt ei: Quid ergo baptízas, si tu non es Christus, neque Elías, neque Prophéta? Respóndit eis Ioánnes, dicens: Ego baptízo in aqua: médius autem vestrum stetit, quem vos nescítis. Ipse est, qui post me ventúrus est, qui ante me factus est: cuius ego non sum dignus ut solvam eius corrígiam calceaménti. Hæc in Bethánia facta sunt trans Iordánem, ubi erat Ioánnes baptízans.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

John i, 19-23

At that time, the Jews sent to John from Jerusalem priests and Levites to ask him, Who are you? And he acknowledged and did not deny; and he acknowledged, I am not the Christ. And they asked him, What then? Are you Elias? And he said, I am not. Are you the Prophet? And he answered, No. They therefore said to him, Who are you? that we may give an answer to those who sent us. What have you to say of yourself? He said, I am the voice of one crying in the desert, ‘Make straight the way of the Lord,’ as said Isaias the prophet. And they who had been sent were from among the Pharisees. And they asked him, and said to him, Why, then, do you baptize, if you are not the Christ, nor Elias, nor the Prophet? John said to them in answer, I baptize with water; but in the midst of you there has stood One Whom you do not know. He it is Who is to come after me, Who has been set above me, the strap of Whose sandal I am not worthy to loose. These things took place at Bethany, beyond the Jordan, where John was baptising.

This Sunday, known as Gaudete Sunday from the first word of the Introit is entirely given to joy, because as St Paul says in the Epistle: ‘the Lord is nigh.’ The station as on all Sundays of Advent is at one of the chief Roman basilicas; today it is at that of St Peter, first built by Constantine over the tomb of the Saint.

St John the Baptist in the Gospel continues his mission of preparation for Christ's coming.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year. Introduction and liturgical notes by Abbot Cabrol, O.S.B, The Talbot Press, Dublin 1957, p 9.

• Advertisement

Third Sunday of Advent

Lectionary: 8

Gospel

Jn 1:6-8, 19-28

A man named John was sent from God.

He came for testimony, to testify to the light,

so that all might believe through him.

He was not the light,

but came to testify to the light.

And this is the testimony of John.

When the Jews from Jerusalem sent priests

and Levites to him

to ask him, “Who are you?”

He admitted and did not deny it,

but admitted, “I am not the Christ.”

So they asked him,

“What are you then? Are you Elijah?”

And he said, “I am not.”

“Are you the Prophet?”

He answered, “No.”

So they said to him,

“Who are you, so we can give an answer to those who sent us?

What do you have to say for yourself?”

He said:

“I am the voice of one crying out in the desert,

‘make straight the way of the Lord,’”

as Isaiah the prophet said.”

Some Pharisees were also sent. 

They asked him,

“Why then do you baptize

if you are not the Christ or Elijah or the Prophet?”

John answered them,

“I baptize with water;

but there is one among you whom you do not recognize,

the one who is coming after me,

whose sandal strap I am not worthy to untie.”

This happened in Bethany across the Jordan,

where John was baptizing.

Source :

Advertisement