Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Birth / Baptismal Certs

Options
  • 07-12-2011 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I have found some family baptismal certs on irishgenealogy.ie - is it worth my while getting their birth certs too. Just wondering if the same information will be on them so why spend money for information I already have, or will there be more info? This would be mid to late 1800's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

depends on the date and denomination.. registration of births started in 1864..

for RC records - a baptism will usual show :
    date of baptism
    full names of both parents
    address (not always included)
    names of sponsors/godparents
    sometimes name of priest

for CofI baptism records :
    date of baptism
    date of birth (sometimes)
    father's full name
    father's occupation
    mother's first name
    address (not always included)
    sometimes name of minister
    and for a civil record (i.e. cert) :
    Registration District, County etc
    Date & Place of Birth
    Name (of Child)
    Sex
    Name and Surname and Dwelling Place of Father
    Name and Maiden Surname of Mother
    Rank or Profession of Father
    Signature, Qualification and Residence of Informant
    Date of Registration
    Registrars name
    Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Damn, the ones I have are just pre-1864, I forgot that date. thanks for all the info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

shanew wrote: »
    depends on the date and denomination.. registration of births started in 1864..

Registration District, County etc
    Date & Place of Birth
    Name (of Child)
    Sex
    Name and Surname and Dwelling Place of Father
    Name and Maiden Surname of Mother
    Rank or Profession of Father
    Signature, Qualification and Residence of Informant
    Date of Registration
    Registrars name
    Shane

Are the maiden surnames only on the later certs e.g. 20th century?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

all civil birth certs should include mother's maiden name

the details on the baptisms vary over time, and from parish to parish. In general, the earlier the record, the less detail it will show.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dalcassian

Hi Jellybaby1, When searching irishgenealogy.ie be aware that some of the priests who entered the baptisms into the church records tried to Latinise the names! Some had a good grasp of Latin but others wrote what they thought sounded Latin. They never thought that we would be doing computer searches of the records in 2011.
    Example: I had a problem finding my father's baptism record. I was looking for James Brien and eventually found him. He had been entered as Jacobus! Another was a Denis who was called Dyonisus!
    Take care, the record is there!
    Joe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Hi Dalcassian. The latin doesn't apply to my records although I am aware of the Latin differences. Thanks anyway. I wonder what genealogy will be like in 50 years time when people will be researching African, Indian, East European etc., records? That will be a whole new ball game. I won't be around for it but I hope our visitors are going to pass on their family histories to the next generation.

Advertisement