Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maps of Glasnevin Cemetery

• 12-09-2011 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there are any downloadable maps of the layout of Glasnevin Cemetery ? I'm thinking specifically of the layout of the grids.

I was there over the weekend with some relatives and we identified a number of family graves of interest. I took down the grave references and will go back another time to visit them, but I was hoping to mark them in on a map to make it a little easier to locate them in future. I've looked on the Glasnevin Trust website but I can't find one there.

I also plan on going one step further and bringing the GPS with me next time to record coordinates, but I think a map is probably easier for most people to follow.

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I got a map from the office there, but never saw one online unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I've recently found the grave of my GGG grandfather there, the online record says he is buried in an area/section of the graveyard known as "GARDEN", anyone know where that is???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

zagmund wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any downloadable maps of the layout of Glasnevin Cemetery ? I'm thinking specifically of the layout of the grids.

I was there over the weekend with some relatives and we identified a number of family graves of interest. I took down the grave references and will go back another time to visit them, but I was hoping to mark them in on a map to make it a little easier to locate them in future. I've looked on the Glasnevin Trust website but I can't find one there.

I also plan on going one step further and bringing the GPS with me next time to record coordinates, but I think a map is probably easier for most people to follow.

z
    if you go to the information desk where you pay for the tours etc the staff there will give you a map and explain almost exactly where the graves are, they helped me find my g.g grandfathers grave early this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Thanks for the info.

I've emailed them and asked if there is an online version. I'll let you know if I get anything back. If not, then I may have a bash at doing some sort of google map-ish version of my own, so that I can show visitors to my own website where the locations are. It should be easy enough given GPS co-ordinates if nothing else.

z

I've recently found the grave of my GGG grandfather there, the online record says he is buried in an area/section of the graveyard known as "GARDEN", anyone know where that is???

I just noticed on one of the records that I have a similar reference to 'garden'. I visited this grave a while back and it was to the far right of the main gate, a few rows before the *old* little angels plot.

This particular plot had no headstone and was just grass (hence 'garden' maybe ?), but others in the area had headstones. I found it by the row reference ('OE' in this case), so I don't know if garden refers to the condition or the location.

If there was a grid reference (say OE43 or AZ96.5) that would be the easiest way to find it. If you go to Glasnevin just ask anyone working there or ask at reception and they will point you to the correct place.

z

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

you can pick up a small map at the reception desk but its not gridmarked but the areas/sections are colour coded. the cemetery on a whole is badly sign posted and it can be hard to find particular graves.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I have scanned a copy of the small map given out by the office. I also have a map of Goldenbridge plots. Perhaps PM me with an email and I will forward? The office can tell you whether a gravestone was put up in Glasnevin which helps to locate a plot.

I was out in Glasnevin over the weekend and picked up a copy of their map. It's a start, but they sure don't make it easy. As pointed out above there is no grid reference provided and on the ground there is no direct reference to the locations. There are markings on the back of some graves, but you could spend a while looking for them and working out how the one you found relates to the one you're looking for.

I've attached copies of the two parts of the map. It turns out that I was was wrong(ish) about the meaning of garden. It's actually a specific named section. If you come in the main entrance, turn right and head towards the back and you're there.

z

[edit - after looking properly at the map, I see you can just come straight in the main entrance, keep going and you end up at one side of the garden section]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

How would I find out the exact location of a grave? For example in St. Finbarr's Cemetery in Cork or St Oliver's Cemetery in Ballincollig?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Sorry for butting in on a slightly different subject. We drove to Glasnevin Cemetery recently but the gates were closed and we couldn't find any parking space along the main road or around the little housing estate opposite and gave up and went home. I feel sorry for the residents it must be hard for them with visitors parking on their roads. Just wondered where is the nearest place to park?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Opposite the main gates, there is a small carpark for the cemetery, it's easy to miss.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Opposite the main gates, there is a small carpark for the cemetery, it's easy to miss.

Thanks, we did see it that day but there weren't any spaces. We'll just try to go earlier next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 49scorpio

I've just noticed that Google Maps Streetview is available for Glasnevin Cemetery. It might help you to locate graves from your computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 GoCoder

49scorpio wrote: »
    I've just noticed that Google Maps Streetview is available for Glasnevin Cemetery. It might help you to locate graves from your computer.

We try to help where we can. We persuaded Google to use the Google Trike to help us plot all of the cemetery - they were very helpful. We have agreed with Glasnevin to develop an app that visitors can use on web/smartphone to help identify/locate graves within the cemetery.

I've just noticed this now - looks pretty good.

I'm a total beginner when it comes to doing 'new stuff' (other than just looking at a location) with google maps and other mapping systems so I'm wondering if anyone has any bright ideas.

Last time I was out in Glasnevin I took my sat nav with me and recorded the GPS locations of a couple of graves. I know the accuracy won't be 100% but it will be good enough to get me within a 5 or 10 meter range of a particular grave.

What sort of apps can I use either online or offline with the Google imagery of the cemetery to add things like pushpins to a map (given the GPS data as a starting point) and share with other members of the zag family ? It would be handy to be able to provide people with a link to the google maps with an overlay added for graves of interests to the greater family, but I've no idea how to go about it.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

I hope it is OK to use this thread as it is not really a Zombie thread and it is one that google brings you to if you try and decipher the grave locations.

I found the attached map.
    Map_of_Prospect_Cemetery_Glasnevin_County_Dub.jpg

As far as I can see the grave coordinate letters are sort of back the front? And go from Right to left? The numbers are OK.

For example XK 150 The 150 is from the main road and you just keep getting a higher number as you go into the cemetery, north. The letters as far as I can see mean the second one is the main letter. The cemetery goes right to left alphabetically? but say section K has a start and a finish. Again right to left? So XK would mean you need to be close to where L starts.

Is that right?

great map!

I think you have it right. The wall along the Finglas Road has the alphabet code marked up on its inside so you know which 'line' to go looking in. With a bit of luck you will find some gravestones with a reference to a plot number inscribed on the side or back so you know you are on track and can fine tune when nearer your grave. The best evidence is to find a legible headstone and still in position. The graveyard staff can advise whether a gravestone was ever put up from checking their records.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Old thread, but: does anyone know where GK 66 would be on the above map (St Patrick's) ? I was out there today and tried to find a grave and hadn't the foggiest.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭cobham

You should have called into the office there. They would be very helpful and would mark roughly on a map where to find the grave.

Even with good location, it is still hard work to find individual grave as only some headstones have reference numbers inscribed on them. With luck you will find one in the right row, then count along to find the right grave. Of course not all graves have headstones.

Good luck for next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The staff in Glasnevin Trust are exceptionally helpful.

Without a map, walk along the inside of the wall until you come to the double letters you need. The letters are painted on the back wall also.

In the great majority of the cemetery, the numbers run from south (the Finglas Road) towards the Botanic gardens, the exception being part of the older (city end)section. Remember the further west you go , the higher the starting number.
    Also each full grave number represents two single graves, and 123.5 may be between 123 and 122, rather than 124. I know this sounds confusing, but in areas with plenty of headstones, it is feasible, although only 1 in 5 stones have the number inscribed on the back.
    The real problem is in parts with few headstones, you might need to bring a measuring tape for these graves, but remember the staff are always willing to help, if you need help.
    Another problem area would be the curved path between the O'Connell Tower and the O'Connell circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

GoCoder wrote: »
    We try to help where we can. We persuaded Google to use the Google Trike to help us plot all of the cemetery - they were very helpful. We have agreed with Glasnevin to develop an app that visitors can use on web/smartphone to help identify/locate graves within the cemetery.

Did anything ever happen with this?

As an aside, I was in Glasnevin at the weekend (beautiful day for it) & got the GPS location of my grandparents & great grandparents graves on one side. I have the physical locations of others & am going to get the GPS of those also and record it in their records on ancestry for posterity...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OU812 wrote: »

As an aside, I was in Glasnevin at the weekend (beautiful day for it) & got the GPS location of my grandparents & great grandparents graves on one side. I have the physical locations of others & am going to get the GPS of those also and record it in their records on ancestry for posterity...

Considering even the most basic phone today has this capability, everyone should be doing it, for graves, old homesteads etc..

spurious wrote: »
    Considering even the most basic phone today has this capability, everyone should be doing it, for graves, old homesteads etc..

Stupid question I suppose, but I assume you need internet on your phone to get the coordinates?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Stupid question I suppose, but I assume you need internet on your phone to get the coordinates?

Or full GPS - it would be very rare to have one and not the other; and although you can have GPS and no internet plan it has to do an unassisted lock so can take many minutes to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ryue65

zagmund wrote: »
    I've just noticed this now - looks pretty good.

I'm a total beginner when it comes to doing 'new stuff' (other than just looking at a location) with google maps and other mapping systems so I'm wondering if anyone has any bright ideas.

Last time I was out in Glasnevin I took my sat nav with me and recorded the GPS locations of a couple of graves. I know the accuracy won't be 100% but it will be good enough to get me within a 5 or 10 meter range of a particular grave.

z

I also visited the site recently, but forgot to register the GPS locations. Finding unmarked graves, even with the provided locations is a bit tricky.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Welcome to the forum ryue65.

Please bear in mind dragging up old threads is generally frowned upon.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Glad to see that map of Glasnevin - what's the explanation for reviving old threads?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Sometimes people don't realise the time has passed and started trying to resolve old issues. It's less of a problem here so we take it on a case by case basis.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement