Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flymo Guarantee

• 17-10-2020 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has either been asked before or is in the wrong category:

I bought a Flymo Powervac3000. On opening the box, there is instructions (among other things) on telling me to register my product for free & my guarantee will automatically be upgraded from 12 to 24 months.

Everything going well until I enter my postal code ( which is a must for their site ). On clicking the enter button it tells me 'Postcode is invalid'.

Anyone know how to get around this problem? I used upper case for the letters for my postcode.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Try leaving a space eg P23 P654 after the first three characters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Why do people fill these junk mail things in?

Basic consumer protection is better than these warranties.

Have a read of the so-called benefits you are getting in exchange for your personal information - it's the same or less as your basic consumer rights.

Some people are fooled by these forms, ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I found many of those online registrations of products are only for the UK and don't therefore recognise eircodes.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Why do people fill these junk mail things in?

Basic consumer protection is better than these warranties.

Have a read of the so-called benefits you are getting in exchange for your personal information - it's the same or less as your basic consumer rights.

Some people are fooled by these forms, ignore them.

And some are very worthwhile. I have had equipment I use for a hobby replaced after six years because I had availed of lifetime warranty by registering it. It also gives a quicker route to repair or replace than so e of the shenanigans that goes on with retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    And some are very worthwhile. I have had equipment I use for a hobby replaced after six years because I had availed of lifetime warranty by registering it. It also gives a quicker route to repair or replace than so e of the shenanigans that goes on with retailers.

That would be a tiny minority. Almost all are pure marketing gimmicks that do not even provide the protection level a consumer has with their statutory rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Well I mean, you can fill out a form which will probably result in a few spam emails but will also get you a repair/replacement with a simple email/phone call or you can avoid the form, live gloriously spam free but should something go wrong during this extended period you'll have to endure a visit (possibly multiple) to a shop, staff who know nothing of consumer law, registered letters to HQ, an online form for the SCC and maybe a day out - all of which will amount to months. Yeah you'll win but is it really worth the effort for a little bit of marketing info?

Personally my time is worth more so I'll take the warranty thanks and reserve my consumer rights claims for the cases that actually require the effort.

theteal wrote: »
    Well I mean, you can fill out a form which will probably result in a few spam emails but will also get you a repair/replacement with a simple email/phone call or you can avoid the form, live gloriously spam free but should something go wrong during this extended period you'll have to endure a visit (possibly multiple) to a shop, staff who know nothing of consumer law, registered letters to HQ, an online form for the SCC and maybe a day out - all of which will amount to months. Yeah you'll win but is it really worth the effort for a little bit of marketing info?

Personally my time is worth more so I'll take the warranty thanks and reserve my consumer rights claims for the cases that actually require the effort.

I'd add that I haven't received any spam as a result of registering any product in the past twenty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Darc19 wrote: »
    That would be a tiny minority. Almost all are pure marketing gimmicks that do not even provide the protection level a consumer has with their statutory rights.

Who wants to fight for their consumer rights 2 years after purchase if a manufacturer will honor their own 3 year extended warranty?

Another worth while one is DeWalts 3 year extended warranty I've just shipped a tool back that 33 months old and will be get a replacement, probably brand new. Thats because in this particular case they don't have any spare parts but if they did then they'd have fixed the tool for free.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Who wants to fight for their consumer rights 2 years after purchase if a manufacturer will honor their own 3 year extended warranty?

Another worth while one is DeWalts 3 year extended warranty I've just shipped a tool back that 33 months old and will be get a replacement, probably brand new. Thats because in this particular case they don't have any spare parts but if they did then they'd have fixed the tool for free.

Brabantia are also excellent with their backup service, they replaced a bin lid of mine 9 years after purchase free (the spring loaded lid had a 10 year guarantee ).

OP, adding the space didn't work. I have emailed them to see what they come up with - will let You know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,421 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Brabantia are also excellent with their backup service, they replaced a bin lid of mine 9 years after purchase free (the spring loaded lid had a 10 year guarantee ).

OP, adding the space didn't work. I have emailed them to see what they come up with - will let You know.

They probably only accept UK postcodes, try leave it blank, or just put the town (e.g. Cork)

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    They probably only accept UK postcodes, try leave it blank, or just put the town (e.g. Cork)

I have emailed them. Be interesting to see what spiel they come back with. The site in question won’t let the section be left blank.

I have emailed them. Be interesting to see what spiel they come back with. The site in question won’t let the section be left blank.

0000 has worked for me in the past. Read the T&Cs and see if it's UK only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The T&C are very simple by the looks of it and no sign of them being UK only but the repair must go through an authorized agent all I can find is Ireland
    Flymo Ireland
    Tel: 01 4565222, Fax: 01 4568551 https://www.flymo.com/uk/content/non-uk-customers

Wake me up when it's all over.

Sorry for delay in giving the follow up:

I emailed them, and they were very prompt in their reply. Their page only recognises UK postal codes. However they gave me their postal code and told me to use that one. I did and it worked perfectly.

Hope I don't have to avail of the guarantee extension now :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When UK postcodes are required for something that definitely allows Ireland I've either usually used BT71EB - burnt in to my head from old UTV competitions - or BT11AA which is basically the baseline postcode for NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

L1011 wrote: »
    BT11AA which is basically the baseline postcode for NI.

It's the postcode for Royal Mail HQ on Tomb St in Belfast.

Advertisement