Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Summer Challenge 2020?

• 13-04-2020 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

Now that it looks like we will be stuck in quarantine till at least June. Anyone interested in doing an "old school boards fitness summer challenge" for the next six weeks ?

People can share our goals, workouts, progress and diet. It will provide a support to help us get in better shape and help focus on something else beside the lock down.

So who is in ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Great Idea. Accountability can result in great results.

I'm around 78.5kg at the moment. Would like to lean down to about 73kg while preserving as much muscle mass as possible. Have enough gym equipment at home for this I believe.

Just controlling the nutrition is the hardest thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Cool leanin2019. I want lose 8 to 10lbs over the next six weeks.

I am lucky I have a great setup in the garage, so I will be able to train away without a gym. I am doing three days strength, two days cardio at present. But I have done that for the last five weeks, so I might change it up this weekend coming. I am going to try and walk 12000 steps day and not eat over 3000cals. I am a big lad, so even at these calories I will be losing weight

I have a restarted a log, check it out. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113148982#post113148982

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Very much up for this, will post stats etc later.

Good idea on the stats. I might jump in on that this Saturday, as I planned to do it then.

Cool beans, I’ll give it a go:

Currently
    Weight 12st 12lbs
    Bf around 18.7% (scale, could be off as I’m calculating based on it’s known error from last decade scan)

Target
    Weight 12st
    Bf 10-12%

Diet wise, around 2k cals in a 40 40 20 split roughly.

Are we doing progress pics?

• Advertisement

Good idea, not sure how to post photos myself. But if it helps you go for it. There are good to see the changes over time to be fair. But if anyone else want to join in I dont think they are necessary.

Should we have a start date or just go from here. If people are looking to join in and have a log on the fitness log page please post up a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm slowly reminding from being 94% ginger nut biscuit and 12% caffeine

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

Yeah great idea!

I'm in but will need some advice from you guys

Currently
    Weight 15st 8lbs
    Bf around 30%, 6ft 1

Target over 6 weeks would be as close to 14 st as possible but if I could get to 41st 7lbs I'd be happy

I think 2000 cals would be about 500 cal deficit

So started on Tuesday with weights in garage, and yesterday 4 mile jog.
    Trying to do 3 weights sessions and 2-3 cardio (run, cycle), depending on how body is.

If I posted my weight routine would anyone comment on if its OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

rofno1 wrote: »
    Yeah great idea!

I'm in but will need some advice from you guys

Currently
    Weight 15st 8lbs
    Bf around 30%, 6ft 1

Target over 6 weeks would be as close to 14 st as possible but if I could get to 41st 7lbs I'd be happy

I think 2000 cals would be about 500 cal deficit

So started on Tuesday with weights in garage, and yesterday 4 mile jog.
    Trying to do 3 weights sessions and 2-3 cardio (run, cycle), depending on how body is.

If I posted my weight routine would anyone comment on if its OK?

That would be one hell of an achievement. Definitely post pics if you achieve this ;-)

leanin2019 wrote: »
    Great Idea. Accountability can result in great results.

I'm around 78.5kg at the moment. Would like to lean down to about 73kg while preserving as much muscle mass as possible. Have enough gym equipment at home for this I believe.

Just controlling the nutrition is the hardest thing

Photo from yesterday. I am about 79kg and 176cm in height.

Thats 12 stone 6 pounds, 5 Ft 9.. in old money.

Coming into summer it would be nice to lean down a bit

wPbamY0l.jpg

• Advertisement

Patsy167 wrote: »
    That would be one hell of an achievement. Definitely post pics if you achieve this ;-)
    Haaaaaa haaaaaa!!!! I better download just eat app!

Good start today with 20km cycle. Bit high in cals though so we’ll on way to 41st ;-)

Weight 113.1kg

NECK (CM)43
    SHOULDER (CM)131.5
    UPPER-ARM (CM)36
    CHEST (CM)109
    WAIST (CM)102
    HIP (CM)106.5
    THIGH (CM)62
    CALF (CM)43

Estimate 20% BF ???

Will post photo tomorrow

Ok, How did everyone week go ? I hit the five training sessions and 12000 steps approximately each day. So as always the training and general active side of the equation of weight loss is not a problem for me.

I am starting a new program this week, I got a program off breaking muscle for the next 12 weeks. It is three strength days and two interval/cardio and two days of mobility work. I will add a few extra exercises in the first week of the plan as it look a bit low in volume, as every the 100 swing of a KB is a go to for me.

But if I am going to make a real difference I have to focus on the tracking of the consumption and weighting myself. It is hard to know if photos of the photo of the food and estimating using PN hand guide or weighting is better. But I will try the PN method with photos to estimate. That is this week goal, get as much of that data in place and see what happens with weight/fat loss.

To that end, i am not eating in the car and get as much info on what I am eating using the PN method. The goal is a kg weight loss

Link to PN

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/nutrition-calculator?utm_source=marketingcloud&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=012620-CertProCoach-nutritioncalcreminder

Did OK this week.
    Way over board on food & drink so that is clearly my downfall, focusing on that for this week

Steps are avg 8500 so need to up that, dog won't know what hit him!!
    Managed one weights workout but twinged back so then did
    focus on cardio
    2 runs of 3 and 4 miles each & 13 mile cycle.

Back on weights today.
    Any advice for substituting something for stiff leg deadlifts? I think this is the cause of the problem

Oh and still same weight!

rofno1, not an expert by no means. But if you had a trx/ stability ball/ val slides you could do hamstring curls to hit the hammers. Failing that glute bridge, Nordic curls. If you YouTube them.

I have the same problem with the food, if you are genetically gifted its not a problem but for the rest of 95% it is the area that need most attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

rofno1 wrote: »
    Any advice for substituting something for stiff leg deadlifts? I think this is the cause of the problem

Firs thing, the SLDLs may not be the cause of the problem. The execution of the SLDLs may be so rest the back and drop the weight and work on technique.

In the meantime, the like of Nordic curls would be good. Or even just hamstring curls with a band (fairly simple...loads of videos on youtube)

Firs thing, the SLDLs may not be the cause of the problem. The execution of the SLDLs may be so rest the back and drop the weight and work on technique.

In the meantime, the like of Nordic curls would be good. Or even just hamstring curls with a band (fairly simple...loads of videos on youtube)

Thanks for all the answers. Yeah, to clarify I suspect I started with too heavy a weight and that has done the damage with technique failing.

Will go for nordic or hamstring curls. Thank again

12st 8lbs 17%

Happy with that, only managed 3 w/o’s last week due to ballsing up my back building a shed lol, nearly right again so asking for better now.

bladespin wrote: »
    12st 8lbs 17%

Happy with that, only managed 3 w/o’s last week due to ballsing up my back building a shed lol, nearly right again so asking for better now.

Bloody well done!! Great start!

Well that is another week done, down 0.8kg on the scale.

Food wise it was better in terms of quality and reduced portions. Three days went away from me in some respects, but not disappointed with the week. Workouts wise ?I have hit four workouts and fifth coming later on today. A niggle on my right side of hip is sore. Meaning I cant do everything I want exercise wise, but I am trying to work around it rather than give up.

Reading a book from Layne Norton, who give six things that are the common where people have been successful in losing and keeping weight off. these are

Some way of restraint, calorie counting, keto, weight watchers and or intermittent fasting. Some way of stopping you eating too much.
    Self monitoring - weight them self
    Regular exercise - speaks for it self
    Ability to focus on long term goals - an example might be putting off eating that mars and focus on the end goal rahter than the short term satisfaction.
    Social support - this is what we are getting from boards summer challenge
    Structure program. - having an eating or workout program rather than winging it.

Hopefully you guys might see where you can improve or add to from this list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Corona20

I am 2 weeks late but can I join?
    I'll post my stats tomo.

Welcome aboard (sorry for the pun) Fire ahead.

Ok here goes.
    Current weight : 176lbs
    Height: 5' 8"

Ideal weight : 154

For the next few weeks just going to tighten up the diet, up the water intake and cut the alcohol.
    Exercise at the moment is a daily 20/30 min walk so going to increase duration and speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭totothejuggler

I'll jump in on this too!
    Current weight : 118kg
    Height: 6' 6"

Target weight : 108kg

I've already started to count the old calories with MyFitnessPal, also gonna try and beat my 5k PR

Go for it lad and welcome to the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Currently 85kg even. 173cm.
    Upping the physical activity now that the calendar is bare.
    Would intend to be 80 by start of July
    Currently trying to do cardio 3x 60 week and variety of resistance exercises.
    Diet is good but late evening snacks don’t help me.

Fair Play jimbobaloobob. Stick with it, I have tried with some success and some failure. To just not eat after a certain time, i think it is easier than trying to limit or pick a " healthy snack" as it tends for me to snowball.

For me last week, I only got one training session done. A back injury which felt like a strain first, then had sign of a disc injury held me back. symptoms are way better this morning, I have to watch this one. Going to do some body weight stuff and focus more on my diet going forward.

Diet wise I fell off the the wagon, the all or nothing attitude when I could not train was back in force. As a result I over eat most days. So I did not weight myself

Hope everyone else is hitting it

Not a great week diet wise and weight remained the same.
    Back on the wagon again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I wouldn’t be worried with weight being the same week on week if other things haven’t been great Corona20 long and steady wins the race as they say

Managed to finish last weeks planned exercise this evening. I’m running about 2 days behind myself but have had 3 good structured weeks which should have been two so far. I made a 12 week program for myself so it will be interesting to see Does it take me 16 weeks at this rate.

• Advertisement

Currently ~80kg (12 stone 8 pounds)
    Initial Target ~75kg (11 stone 11 pounds)

176cm Height (5 ft 9..and a half :pac:)

Meal plan in place should do it by end June if consistent.

Advertisement