Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The difference in people who will be going to Portobello vs Jervis would reflect the attitudes tbh.
    You have no idea of the people who actually go to the Portobello gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Anyone comment on how the open gyms are progressing, now that the "rush" to get back is over?

Still need to get back to one but don't want to see a horror show when I walk in

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sp00k

Anyone comment on how the open gyms are progressing, now that the "rush" to get back is over?

Still need to get back to one but don't want to see a horror show when I walk in

I live in a decent sized town (20k population), and I have never seen the gyms quieter. I can't see one or two of the smaller independent gyms here surviving if I'm totally honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭ongarite

My gym is open 4 weeks now and it's never been busier.
    It was only open 6 weeks before COVID shutdown but the extended closure of FlyFit and total closure of Ben Dunne has meant a good few new members.

You have to book into a 90 minute slot each day so numbers are capped.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Kamu

At Flyefit George's street. I don't think every slot was booked out, as I was able to book a slot about two hours before hand.

If the gym was like this all the time, it would be heaven.

Most o have noticed are cleaning after themselves, some aren't. I cleaned two 15kg after use, my towel was nasty afterwards; years worth of grime.

Also noticed a few people wearing masks.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 149 ✭✭Iceman29

anyone know if ben dunne gyms are giving money back?

Read an article in the paper last week that he doesn't plan on reopening until its safe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Flyefit seems busier this week than last week.

Kamu wrote: »
    If the gym was like this all the time, it would be heaven.

Indeed..... 7pm slot booked after work and plenty options with equipment. A silver lining of the recent major issues IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Looking to go to Flyefit Portobello or Baggot St later as Jervis & George's St both fully booked.
    Would anyone know if theres much of a difference between the two or if one is better than the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Feenix wrote: »
    Looking to go to Flyefit Portobello or Baggot St later as Jervis & George's St both fully booked.
    Would anyone know if theres much of a difference between the two or if one is better than the other?

I used to use both but not Baggot At in a while now since its no longer near where I work.

Baggot St isn't great at all. The dumbbell area is small and was always crowded. With distancing there might be 3 benches. Racks are the same as Portobello mostly (though 2 are worse quality than the rest). 6 racks in Baggot St, 10 in Portobello. Bigger DB area in Portobello.

There's a massive difference

• Advertisement

Anyone comment on Flyfit Sallynoggin, what's it like currently busy or not, overall satisfaction wit the place?
    Looking to join next week, given in on Ben D Cherrywood, no activity there at all so can't see it opening soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

Iceman29 wrote: »
    anyone know if ben dunne gyms are giving money back?

Read an article in the paper last week that he doesn't plan on reopening until its safe

Requested a refund on June 25th and got a confirmation the next day saying they'll refund as quickly as possible, haven't heard a thing since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Anyone comment on Flyfit Sallynoggin, what's it like currently busy or not, overall satisfaction wit the place?
    Looking to join next week, given in on Ben D Cherrywood, no activity there at all so can't see it opening soon.

I am also in BD Cherrywood. I joined DLR Loughlinstown until BD is back. €25 a month and no joining fee. Gym smaller but no problem getting a time there as it is not busy.

ittakestwo wrote: »
    I am also in BD Cherrywood. I joined DLR Loughlinstown until BD is back. €25 a month and no joining fee. Gym smaller but no problem getting a time there as it is not busy.

I never knew this place existed! Can you say how busy it is during "peak" times, what are the staff or other users like? I've looked at the weights section and it looks ok enough, are they making an effort with the restrictions for distancing?

*apologies for so many questions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

been great to be back in Flyefit the last week was very hesitant to go at first but looks like 90% of people i see following guidelines as much as possible so eases my fears

I actually think i prefer booking the slot in and limited number of people there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I never knew this place existed! Can you say how busy it is during "peak" times, what are the staff or other users like? I've looked at the weights section and it looks ok enough, are they making an effort with the restrictions for distancing?

*apologies for so many questions

Possibly one of the first gyms in the area, starting back in the 80's. It is not that busy, just back from there now. They are only doing 60 mins slots. I think there was 10 other people there at the 5 to 6 o'clock slot. I think they say they can let in 28 at once so not near capacity even at peak. There is a lot of staff on for a gym that is not busy ( Its public service so no need to worry about wasting money). They are distancing, some of the less popular machines are out of commission as they are to close to others that are in commission. The showers are not open either. There is a lot of disinfectant around and people are cleaning the machines after using them. After each slot two staff members come in and clean the place before the next slot starts. The water fountains have been removed so need to bring own water.

They also do a PAYG option. Think it is €6. So you can check it out and then decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Anyone using Flyefit Sallynoggin?

If so, opinions would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

xtal191 wrote: »
    Requested a refund on June 25th and got a confirmation the next day saying they'll refund as quickly as possible, haven't heard a thing since

A mate got his yesterday. Waiting since early June.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Almost missed my slot today because I didn’t realise the start times were different on weekends. When booking yesterday I was in a rush and just clicked on 11 and booked it thinking that it was the same as weekdays and an 11.30 start. At 10.45 this morning, when I was just starting to think about going to get ready, I noticed my mistake. A bit rushed and late getting there but I was able to get in and get my stuff done.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Any news on Ben Dunne Carlisle? Would have thought it had ample floor space to spread stuff out. Was in a gym down in Kerry this week, very little different than Pre COVID bar disinfectant at the front door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Jim Root wrote: »
    Any news on Ben Dunne Carlisle? Would have thought it had ample floor space to spread stuff out. Was in a gym down in Kerry this week, very little different than Pre COVID bar disinfectant at the front door.

I heard a rumour that he's looking to sell up the building. Would make sense as it's prime for residential development. Hope that's not the case because it's a great gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Anyone heard anything about the Trinity Gym and pool? Their website seems to say it will reopen on 10 August? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I heard it's opening 10th August. Source of that info is a bit dodge though.

I see the Ben Dunne website has changed the details on when gyms are opening, they now have only Blachardstown mentioned and that it opens September/October. This removes Cherrywood completely, which is a bit ridiculous at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭ongarite

50 person indoor limit looks set to stay for another 3 weeks minimum.

Can see it causing problems for the large gyms like FlyeFit and still closed Ben Dunne.
    Not viable with their business model.

ongarite wrote: »
    50 person indoor limit looks set to stay for another 3 weeks minimum.

Can see it causing problems for the large gyms like FlyeFit and still closed Ben Dunne.
    Not viable with their business model.

I don't think the 50 person restriction is the main issue...training slots rarely seem to be booked out.

I think the amount of people WFH is having an impact as well...not as many people working in the vicinity of a lot of the FF gyms for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭obi604

Haven’t been in the gym since early March.
    My local gym has been open since 29th June, but I haven’t gone yet. In fairness, they seem to have a good setup, you have to book time slots, sanitise after each session, no changing rooms etc.

I got an awful itch in me to go tonight, but didn’t bother

Wit the way things are going with the cases etc, are people here holding off a bit?

obi604 wrote: »
    My local gym has been open since 29th June, but I haven’t gone yet. In fairness, they seem to have a good setup, you have to book time slots, sanitise after each session, no changing rooms etc.

Wit the way things are going with the cases etc, are people here holding off a bit?

No I've been back since end of June...was a gym not too far away to tie me over til Flyefit reopened 2 weeks ago. It feels like a very minimal risk at the times I'm there anyway. I do most of my training in a rack so distancing is fine. And you can feel the equipment has been cleaned before the session.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

obi604 wrote: »

I think you can work around things to limit the risk as much as possible. Instead of using 6 or 7 pieces of equipment etc. focus on two or three exercises and do extra sets. It means you can give the equipment a thorough clean yourself, plus you are coming into contact with less equipment. Also, if you used to go 4 days a week, just go once or twice and do a full body routine. That said, if the number of cases increased a lot, and the gym started getting a lot busier, and hand sanitiser, cleaning spray availability started slipping I would reassess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭JayRoc

It doesn't seem to occur to people in my gym to clean plates after use; even people (and to be fair, there are lots of them) who seem to be making an effort with things like wiping down surfaces and equipment, sanitising hands etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement