Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Summer Challenge 2020?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

Still at 12’3, didn’t have the pavlova last night :(
    But did log 6 work outs this week, the mirror is my friend again, target is close now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Granny Smyth

Ive been making some changes this week. Cutting carbs a bit and increasing water. First workout tomorrow so will have consistent workouts to add to dietary changes. Ill post progress in a week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Kamu

I meant to post earlier but only found the time now.

Gymwise, the workouts are going well, my strength isn't where it was but i'm on my 'third' round of this program and I have increased the weight on the main lift each 'round' so far, so I am happy how that is going.

It's still a loose 60min slot at the gym, which means I've no time for cardio at the gym; I could do cardio at a different time of the day, but once I leave the gym and get back home I loose the motivation and it is hard to justify the time spent to go back out to run or cycle.

I have been doing cardio on the off-days though (one run and one swim a week). I'm maintaining my running fitness that I built up over the lockdown, but any progress has stagnated, which is to be expected since I've only been running once a week.

The plan is, once my gym allows 75 or 90 min slots, that I'll incorporate 20-30 mins of running after the workout and swim or cycle on the off days.

If that happens before September, I'll let you all know.

Diet wise; This week was about going back to basics, I've started to count calories again using MyFitnessPal, as I find that a motivation and a help.

From tomorrow I'll be weighing myself everyday so I can establish my weekly average. Some may consider that overkill, but I've done that successfully in the past and I find it a better indicator of my actual weight compared to weekly weigh-ins, as day-to-day weight fluctuations are inevitable.

As previously mentioned, I'll be eating around 1800-2250 calories a day, depending on activity level/hunger levels.

I'll update the thread next Sunday with the Diet stuff, and if I have the time during the week, I'll update the thread with the weightlifting stuff.

My starting weight going into next week is 190 pounds.

Don't worry everyone, we've got this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

I hope everyone is still fighting the good fight, like me it is hard to keep going with various setbacks.

Lets try get back on track this week and see where it takes us next week. I am going to do three strength sessions and two swims.

Enjoy those sessions Holdfast.

Over there past week: gymwise there is not much to add, I've consistently been going 4 days per week since July 3rd. I have been adding kilos to each main left each new session. Which I'm happy about. I probably started back at a weight a little to comfortable, but wanted to nail down the movements again. I do two days on, one day off, two days on, two days off. Rinse and repeat.

Nutrition, oh nutrition... Weekdays I'm doing well, hitting my calorie targets and by the Friday im down a pound or so, but over the weekend I go YOLO.

Monday morning I weighed in at 191.8, a couple of pounds over my last weekly average, but today I weighed in at 186.2, a 5.6 pound difference in 24 hours and the lowest I've weighed since before lockdown.

It's common enough for me to have a difference of a pound or two between weigh-ins. Such a big difference is due to the couple of takeaways I had over the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Kamu wrote: »
    Enjoy those sessions Holdfast.

Over there past week: gymwise there is not much to add, I've consistently been going 4 days per week since July 3rd. I have been adding kilos to each main left each new session. Which I'm happy about. I probably started back at a weight a little to comfortable, but wanted to nail down the movements again. I do two days on, one day off, two days on, two days off. Rinse and repeat.

Nutrition, oh nutrition... Weekdays I'm doing well, hitting my calorie targets and by the Friday im down a pound or so, but over the weekend I go YOLO.

Monday morning I weighed in at 191.8, a couple of pounds over my last weekly average, but today I weighed in at 186.2, a 5.6 pound difference in 24 hours and the lowest I've weighed since before lockdown.

It's common enough for me to have a difference of a pound or two between weigh-ins. Such a big difference is due to the couple of takeaways I had over the weekend!

You are not alone on this one. I fondly call it the 5:2 diet.

Patsy167 wrote: »
    You are not alone on this one. I fondly call it the 5:2 diet.

I call it the 5:5 diet with the amount I eat on the weekend. :P

12'2 6 training days this week, a lot of driving up and down Navan to Cork so tired, having to force it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

A good week of training last week. I got three open water swims varying for 1km to 1.8km. I got two strength sessions in and a HIIT/Cardio session in as well.

Eating wise, I way over did as there were family around for the week. SO temptation was not very far away. Focus this week will be structure eating to start dropping a pound weight.

To do that, i will need to be more regimented about logging what I eat. Not eating in the car of after seven. I also need to get back up on the scales to see where I am at.

Hope ye have a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

81kgs. Training consistently and drinking 2-3l daily
    End of august aim to be under 80. More importantly aim to see a 10% increase in my 20min threshold power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

Was all going so well until last week. Down to 97 kg and on hols last 2 weeks. Managed to cycle or run everyday on hols minimising damage. Then took the hound for a walk last Thursday night and mis-stepped on a kerb, rolling my ankle. Thought it was just a sprain and iced and rested.

Hasn’t got better so off to A&E this morning where a fracture was diagnosed. Bugger. So booted up for next 6 weeks and no weights or cardio. Limited to upper body only.

So any suggestions welcome...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

rofno1 wrote: »
    Was all going so well until last week. Down to 97 kg and on hols last 2 weeks. Managed to cycle or run everyday on hols minimising damage. Then took the hound for a walk last Thursday night and mis-stepped on a kerb, rolling my ankle. Thought it was just a sprain and iced and rested.

Hasn’t got better so off to A&E this morning where a fracture was diagnosed. Bugger. So booted up for next 6 weeks and no weights or cardio. Limited to upper body only.

So any suggestions welcome...

Don't view it as a limitation but an opportunity to really build upper body strength!

But you probably know yourself, your diet is going to be the number one focus and factor of how you progress from here.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Don't view it as a limitation but an opportunity to really build upper body strength!

But you probably know yourself, your diet is going to be the number one focus and factor of how you progress from here.

Thanks for that. Yeah I was just going to rewrite session for upper body only. You are right it’s a golden opportunity to build upper body strength.

Now there is no cardio or even 10k, I have to reduce calories significantly. Off to TDEE calculators I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Thanks for that. Yeah I was just going to rewrite session for upper body only. You are right it’s a golden opportunity to build upper body strength.

Now there is no cardio or even 10k, I have to reduce calories significantly. Off to TDEE calculators I go.

Is it home training your at? Those hand bikes I think hand cranks is the name of them offer a good workout for cardio if youve one at your local gym

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Make sure to include prehab type stuff for your shoulders just because you'll be doing a lot of pressing and make sure you do at least as much pulling as pushing

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles Rofno1, you'll come back better and stronger!

I'll starts, as I have the last few messages with a gym update.
    It's going great! I've been hitting my four weight lifting sessions each week for nearly 6 weeks now, I've had at least 1 one hour run a week thrown is as well.

I've now incorporated a 5th weight lifting day to the week; so my routine now looks like:

- Upper Strength
    - Lower Strength
    - Day off/Cardio
    - Upper Hyp
    - Lower Hyp
    - Shoulders & Arms (In the Upper days, there is only one shoulder/bicep/tricep exercise, so I felt the volume wasn't there)
    - Day off/Cardio
    - Day off/Cardio

So I'll go on a run or cycle on at least one of the Cardio days.

My slot in the gym is 75 minutes, mostly that is ok, but there have been days were I've have to cut rest times short, run through the exercises more explosively or superset exercises together. Even an extra 15 minutes would make a difference for me.

Nutrition wise:
    I'm firmly in the 187-188 range and haven't been in the 190's for a week, so that is a loss of around 4-5 pounds.
    Not as quick as I was hoping for, but realistically I was not concentrating on my nutrition as a part of me was hoping that the training would compensate.

You can't out-train a bad diet people!

I've now started to organise my meals/what I am going to eat the night before and logging that in MyFitnessPal.

So far it's good. I'm logging 1800-2000 and been adhering to a loose Intermittent Fasting regime and I'm not hungry!

I'll post again in a week or so.

We've go this!

HI all,

So had 2 week checkup on ankle & all is healing nicely. So got green light for upper body exercises.

With lack of movement,I've put on about a kilo and a bit so back to 98.8 kg

Now for some help. I was think the following workout 3 time per week:

Chest press
    inverted Row

Overhead press
    Chest flyes

Lateral raise
    Tricep extension

Russian twists
    Bicep curl

Finished of with pullup/chinup progressions

All will be seated version and 8-12 reps over 3-4 set.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Good news is boot comes off in 4 weeks & I can then get back to low impact cardio like walking, cycling & swimming. Any running & high impact has to wait another 4 weeks.

Checking back in, just back from holidays so 12'8 this morning, I did manage to fit 4 workouts in last week though (none the week before), not too surprised or worried about the gain, did a lot of eating out and drinking over the break, hopefully back down soon.

Another update or lack of update..

Ankle progressing nicely, only another 2 week in boot before I can return to low impact exercise. Smashing out the upper body and have even had to buy 15-20Kg dumbbells, which is quite the result for me!:eek:

Lack of cardio means I've put on about a kilo but I'll take that!

Anybody think we need to change title to Autumn/Winter Challenge?

Another update or lack of update..

Ankle progressing nicely, only another 2 week in boot before I can return to low impact exercise. Smashing out the upper body and have even had to buy 15-20Kg dumbbells, which is quite the result for me!:eek:

Lack of cardio means I've put on about a kilo but I'll take that!

Anybody think we need to change title to Autumn/Winter Challenge?

That's great going, well done. I'll have an update on Sunday.
    Maybe a separate thread for Boards winter Challenge?

• Advertisement

Sooo, long time since update,

Hope you are all well. Got all clear last week to get back walking & cycling. So cycled last Saturday for firt time since august. Twas great! Ankle will take another while to get back to 100% so not running for another month or so.

This week has been a bit of disaster, hectic work and meeting meant crap food. So back over 99kg this morning & no workouts.

No matter, back on the horse today. aiming to be back clos to 98KG next week.

Admin, can we change thread title?

Advertisement