Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Terraced House Extension

Options
  • 29-07-2020 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

This could be a silly question but I'm asking anyway!
    We are to build a small 24m2 ground floor kitchen extension and looking into construction methods. I'm interested in SIPS as they seem to offer a simple and relatively quick solution.
    Currently we have single storey extensions either side of us, 1 longer than we will build out to, the other shorter. I'm just wondering on how the outer leaf is achieved in either a SIPS or Timber frame build in this scenario as it's unlikely we can build up against our neighbours walls.
    How are SIPS dealt with is this case?
    Can we have a block/brick outer leaf tied to a timber inner leaf and if so how is this achieved having to work back from the outer?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi,

We are to build a small 24m2 ground floor kitchen extension and looking into construction methods. I'm interested in SIPS as they seem to offer a simple and relatively quick solution.
    Currently we have single storey extensions either side of us, 1 longer than we will build out to, the other shorter. I'm just wondering on how the outer leaf is achieved in either a SIPS or Timber frame build in this scenario as it's unlikely we can build up against our neighbours walls.
    Can we have a block/brick outer leaf tied to a timber inner leaf and if so how is this achieved having to work back from the outer?

Cheers

Both of these methods you mentioned are off standard construction so you need an engineer or professional sign off. They really should be advising you based on the actual conditions on site. Will there be access for an external leaf? How will it be constructed. Foundations?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 EvanUpwards

Thanks for the reply Gumbo. I should clarify, I'm looking to hire professionals for the job from start to finish. I'm asking really for two reasons, 1 is that I am just curious as I have an interest in building and want to discuss options with the architect, the 2nd is that I'd like to chat with the neighbours regarding how it may impact them, especially the shorter wall where we will be extending past them.
    I can't see there being any access for an external leaf tbh. Any thoughts on SIPS for a terraced house extension in general?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Hi,

Cheers

Your only building essentially between two walls from what I can gather, I cant see block work taking too much time in comparison, also considering its a terrace extension consider pumping the relatively small volume of concrete into the sips, also id imagine you will have a large slider or bifold therefore the amount of wall will be minimum anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The starting point is what is the nature and location of the two extensions either side?
    Are they built on the boundary or inside or what?
    How is the rain run off dealt with in them?

Foundations will be an issue from a width point of view.
    Typically they are 3 times the width of the wall so could be a meter wide, with the wall in the middle of the meter.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

JimmyMW, Cheers for the reply. Yep that's right, large slider or bifold on the end so wall surface is at a minimum. Can I ask what you mean by pumping concrete into the SIPS?

• Advertisement

The starting point is what is the nature and location of the two extensions either side?
    Are they built on the boundary or inside or what?
    How is the rain run off dealt with in them?

Foundations will be an issue from a width point of view.
    Typically they are 3 times the width of the wall so could be a meter wide, with the wall in the middle of the meter.

The longer extension is built on the boundary wall centered, the shorter extension on the inside of their property.
    They are both single storey kitchen extensions, both are capped with rain run off to gutters at the back so no drains or gutters on either side.
    These extensions were both built in the 80's and not very well built tbh!

What could be done with the foundations if it turns out to be an issue?
    Thanks

JimmyMW, Cheers for the reply. Yep that's right, large slider or bifold on the end so wall surface is at a minimum. Can I ask what you mean by pumping concrete into the SIPS?

Sorry OP I had ICP's in my head when I was reading your post, ignore my comment about the concrete

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Will you need cranes to lift SIPs walls over your house for this extension?

That might make the cost comparison to blockwork unequal

JimmyMW wrote: »
    Sorry OP I had ICP's in my head when I was reading your post, ignore my comment about the concrete

Ah I get you now. I had myself confused!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Will you need cranes to lift SIPs walls over your house for this extension?

That might make the cost comparison to blockwork unequal

Good point, I'm looking into that too. We have no houses behind us, there is a large open area where access could possibly be granted for short term use.
    I'm gathering most of ye here are suggesting going the blockwork route. I've no issues with a blockwork build, was just hoping there might be a speedier/cheaper route. If going blockwork what would ye use for the outer leaf? Brick? Or is exposed concrete block acceptable? The neighbour with the short extension has exposed blockwork on our side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

An important issue with exposed block on the outside face of what I presume is a cavity wall is that it adds to the complexity around airtightness and thermal looping as the block is not airtight.

The key thing here is whats state the foundation along the wall are at.
    Depending on budget, anything is possible: eg, outer steel frame with everthing else built inside it

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Shouldn’t use exposed block.
    It’s strictly prohibited in the spirit of the exemptions.
    Plus it goes against the declaration of performance from the manufacture with regards to length of time they are exposed.

You can buy a finished block that can be laid from the inside as you go up.

Your comment about trying to find a cheaper way of building is what stands out here. Realistically there isint. Standard construction methods will always be cheaper than bespoke modular build like SIPS etc

Consider a brick outer leaf, attractive finish for continuity

Advertisement