Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

Company: CN
    male: 40
    Ncb : 3yrs
    Bikes: Kawasaki VN 1500 for the Rallies :D suzuki gs500e for the Hack to work
    Tpft: E480 :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Eye wrote:
    good god, having read through the thread so far i must be the only one getting a good deal (if you could call it that) from carole nash ;)

Licence: Provisional A
    NCB: 6 years
    Bike: Yamaha Dragstar XVS650 (group 5 afaik)

Aon wanted just over €1420 for third party
    Carole Nash covered me for €1030 so i stayed with them as i have done for the past few years :)

last year on my bros (400cc group 5) i was paying €833 tpo from hibernian

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Garibaldi wrote:
    Carole Nash have also been good to me this year (Changed to them from Aon)

Licence: Full
    NCB: 5 years
    Bike: BMW R1150GS (Group 11, I think)

CN: €1149
    Aon: €1300, dropped to €1250 once I mentioned the CN quote, but they refused to drop any further, stating that CN didn't have the same risk pool blah blah blah.
    Jesus, they must make it up as they go along...
    I'm the same stats as you, with a 1200GS, my AON premium is about the same as your quote (~1,350), but get this, CN were quoting me more than 2K. Mad. Even Hibernian were offering comp at 1.7K.

Licence: Full + 2 points
    Bike: 2005 BMW R1200GS
    Insurance: Fully comp
    CN: 2K+
    AON: 1,350
    Hib (now dead): 1,750

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Licence: Full A
    NCB: 2 years
    Bike: Vespa PX 200 (x2)
    Garaged

CN: 565 TPO for my two black beauties.
    AON: tbc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

They really do seem to just pull numbers out of their collective ass, alright. That said, when I mentioned to them that I was considering trading up to the 1200 and wanted a quote, I could practically hear the "ch-ching" as the numbers took a severe jump up. My GS is a 2001 (positively ancient :rolleyes: ) and it's a combo of age of machine plus the maximum power output that (they said) determined the bulk of the premium. Some minor changes for alarm, garaged, which way the wind is blowing at the time you call etc. To paraphrase Tom Arnold: Insurers. Can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em. :(
    Jesus, they must make it up as they go along...
    I'm the same stats as you, with a 1200GS, my AON premium is about the same as your quote (~1,350), but get this, CN were quoting me more than 2K. Mad. Even Hibernian were offering comp at 1.7K.

Licence: Full + 2 points
    Bike: 2005 BMW R1200GS
    Insurance: Fully comp
    CN: 2K+
    AON: 1,350
    Hib (now dead): 1,750

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

They did mention that they were trying to do a 'deal' with BMW to reduce premiums for BMW bikes, so I could expect a much lower premium if I give them a call next year.. (Carole Nash - that is)..

Do you post under the same alias on UKGS'er?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Indeed I do. That said, my posts on there have been severely curtailed since some directly related unpleasantness with Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

NCB: 2

Bike: Honda Varadero 125

AON Bike Test passed - 35% discount

Aon: €1150 TPO

CN: Wont insure me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Originally posted by myself

NCB: 2 years
    Bike: Vespa PX 200 (x2)
    Garaged

CN: 565 TPO for my two black beauties.
    AON: tbc

AON have given me a price today of 467 TPO :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

j@utis wrote:
    sutty is right - NSR125R-estricted, group2 ;)

That's only if it is year 2002 or newer.
    AON wont accept them as restricted unless they're 02 or newer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

dawballz wrote:
    That's only if it is year 2002 or newer.
    AON wont accept them as restricted unless they're 02 or newer.

the AON guy spoke about '01 model or newer. feel bit confused now :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

NCB: 1 year
    Bike: Suzuki Bandit 600, Group 5

Aon - TPO: 1956 (with 10% discount for training thing) :mad:
    Aon - FC: Double it and add a few hundred.

Carole Nash - TPO: 3500 :eek:
    Carole Nash - FC: One Million Dollars!!!! Mhuahahaha Mhuahahaha

Mhuahahahaha MhuahahahahaMhuahahahaha
    Mhuahahahaharhar *choke*

:mad:

Okay. It's actually pretty good. The Aon quote for this year. I'm on a bigger bike and getting a 1500 euro reduction in my premium.

I still want to burn out thier offices though...

...what, they're insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Ok somewhat chuffed with my renewal, Ducati Monster 620s, 1238. Thats fully comp. 24, with 5 years NCB. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Bike: Suzuki SV650s, Restricted, New

Aon - TPO: 3006
    Aon - FC: : Scared to ask

Carole Nash - : Said i'd need at least 2 years NCB before they'd even consider dealing with me (sounds slightly illegal, refusing to quote me 'n all ,but hey, it's Ireland so what do ya expect?)

Strange thing is that i currently have a CBR125r (piece of **** frankly) an Hibernian where charging me 2650 tpo on that so the Aon price doesn't seem so bad for a much better bike (which is a sad thing to have to say).

On a side note, saobh_ie, would yo be the saobh that used to frequent the CMP forums? Just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

Bike: 04 Honda CBF600s restricted to 33bhp, honest.

AON: €844 fully comp.
    Carole Nash: Never bothered getting a quote this time, never matched AON the previous two years (out quoted by several hundreds).

Last year: Honda CB400sf €540 TPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Male, 44 years, 4 years NCB, Full A licence, Dublin
    At renewal last May I had a 100cc Neos moped. AON/AXA , €350 for year comp.

2 weeks ago traded up to a '02 CB500 extra €323 from AON. (€400 extra for a full year by my reckoning, €720 odd for full year on CB500)

Rang Carol Nash they quoted €525 TPF&T. They have a new insurer now who will give cover but not for pillions. At this rate I'll be switching next renewal.

Slight aside, has anybody any opinions on this cover without pillions given that all the increases have been blamed on un-insured pillions. Is it legal or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Micky, Yeah. =] CBR125. *spits*

At least they're not looking for the price of the bike to insure you TPO.

9000 to go fully comp on a 3500 bike... with a huge excess. Get lost.

I must stroll back over to CMP, see what's happening. I've been hanging out on IBF (link below). Good crowd there, and they're on this Island, check it out.

They don't laugh or wave thier 400 pounds CBR600RR 17 year old with 0 ncb premiums in your faces. "60pounds on an NSR125! I'm being robbed?!?!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭batman_oh

male
    3 years ncb and full licence
    rvf400, apriliars250 and suzuki gsxr600 was 1727 euro this year tpo
    not too bad i suppose with 3 bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

frodi wrote:
    Rang Carol Nash they quoted €525 TPF&T. They have a new insurer now who will give cover but not for pillions.
    Sorry but that's completely untrue. Insurers legally have to cover pillions, even if you're not licensed to carry one. A third party (the pillion) claim has to be paid out even if the rider is breaking the law.

This was brought in by the EU motor insurance directive in the 1990s and was used as an excuse to hike up premiums, we probably would be better off with the old situation where a pillion rode at their own risk, but there you go.

Life ain't always empty.

ninja900 wrote:
    Sorry but that's completely untrue. Insurers legally have to cover pillions, even if you're not licensed to carry one. A third party (the pillion) claim has to be paid out even if the rider is breaking the law.

This was brought in by the EU motor insurance directive in the 1990s and was used as an excuse to hike up premiums, we probably would be better off with the old situation where a pillion rode at their own risk, but there you go.

Have to say that I thought this a bit suspect but didn't bother following up as I wasn't taking the policy. It seems that CN now have two insurers with one looking to put restrictions in lieu of lower prices. TBH I don't mind as I am v. unlikely to be carrying a pillion at any time. Could be something like if you have a crash with a pillion on board then the policy is void. I'd love to see some legal brains tease it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeah i noticed that on my dads renewal letter (only €240 tpft the b@stard!) it said pillions not covered-looked very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

There are several bikes that have no pillion seat and qualify for increased discounts. I'm not sure how much though. I've carried a passenger once in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

a_ominous wrote:
    There are several bikes that have no pillion seat and qualify for increased discounts. I'm not sure how much though. I've carried a passenger once in 3 years.
    That would seem to make sense. By the same virtue, a passenger riding on the roof of your car wouldn't be covered - or would they?

madrab wrote:
    yeah i noticed that on my dads renewal letter (only €240 tpft the b@stard!) it said pillions not covered-looked very strange

I'm presuming your dad has a provisional licence, and the letter is really telling him he's not licensed to carry a pillion? The insurance company can't get out of their obligations to third parties, no matter what they put on the policy.

Any chance of putting up a scan of the letter - blanking out personal data?
    frodi wrote:
    It seems that CN now have two insurers with one looking to put restrictions in lieu of lower prices.
    Not so I'm afraid, all CN bike policies in the Republic are underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance.

Life ain't always empty.

ninja900 wrote:

Not so I'm afraid, all CN bike policies in the Republic are underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance.

I rang them about a month ago when I was changing bikes. They told me at that time that they would have a new insurer shortly. They rang me two weeks ago saying that they now have a second insurer and they were doing a ring around previous enquiries to see if I would be interested in insurance at a cheaper price without pillion cover. There was another restriction on the policy but I can't remember that at present.

:confused: It is ILLEGAL for an insurer to not cover you against third party claims. A pillion is a third party.

Never mind what you were told on the phone - they'll tell you anything - I'd love to know how such a policy would be worded. Perhaps you agree that they can come after you for their loss if there is a pillion claim against you? The problem with that it WILL be abused by some people, and these claims can run into seven figures. Add in legal costs and I can't see the insurance companies recovering very much off most people in such a situation.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Sorry Ninja, but you’re not quite right on this one.

(btw…Just in case anyone has any doubts on this – if you’re a provisional licence holder, you are NOT legally licenced to carry passengers. Ever. For any reason.)

For a start, when my insurance renewal came out at that time, there was a letter attached which stated (Norwich Union at the time….) that there was no increase in premium for that mandatory element. Claims experience, however, soon changed that……..it was inevitable, really………..

What the EU directive actually said was that pillions must be insured by somebody. It made no reference to licencing or the conditions under which pillions are carried in the first place. In practice here, this means the cover became mandatory on the back of the rider’s policy.

But – the directive was poorly transposed into Irish law - we didn’t qualify that the mandatory insurance was required only in respect of those LEGALLY ENTITLED TO CARRY PILLIONS.

So, without this qualification being stated in the legislation, the courts have decided that the licencing requirement doesn’t apply in these cases, and that the insurance companies must pay out, IRRESPECTIVE of whether the rider has a licence to carry the pillion in the first place or not. In other words, because it doesn’t say they are NOT covered, then the judicial system has deemed that they ARE covered. And that’s why we’re in the ****e……

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

True, the Gardai can then prosecute the riders for a breach of the licence law…….but not the insurance requirement under the Road Traffic Act, as judicial precedent has now been set. Therefore they won’t bother prosecuting riders for having no licence, because, just by dint of their having a current insurance policy, they – and the pillion – are now covered, and the only prosecutable offence is a misdemeanour………and it’s just not worth it.

Net Result – I, You, We – get fu$$ked on our insurance premia………the insurance companies can legally take a civil suit against a rider who’s policy they paid out to a pillion under, but what’s the chance of collecting the money (say, €50k..) from a 17 yr old……..who mighn’t even be working?? Exactly !! Goddamn frickin’ zero. So, they just shrug their shoulders, and add the cost of the claim to everyone’s premium for next year. It just got to the stage where Hibernian said ‘no more’……..and walked away.

They claim they couldn’t get the minister to help change the law, and they weren’t prepared to act as an ATM for pillion claims any longer……..I can’t say I blame them.

Only in Ireland, huh…..? In the UK an illegal number plate, silencer or modified indicators invalidates your insurance………do you think the nonsense situation of unlicenced riders making successful claims even comes up….Ha ! – of course not. In Germany, it states on the Kfz Brief – (the vehicle tax book..) – which make and brand of tyres are to be fitted. I’ve even seen the spark plug type mentioned on one. Failure to adhere rigidly to that………you guessed it…..invalidates your insurance…..

So – to all you riders, on provisionals, who’ve had a claim by a pillion – you are the single biggest reason insurance is the price that it is, so quit your goddamn whinging, and take a look at the mess you’ve landed the whole country in.
    To you pillions who’ve made a claim – big or small – what the hell were you doing on a bike with an unlicenced rider in the first place?? You’re not doing me any favours – that’s for sure……….

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

sorry about the disjointed posts above. Everytime I tried to post a reply it just crashed my IE, so I had to make two answers out of it.

Hope it makes sense.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Turns out whoever took my original quote in AON wasn't listening to me. Rang again to confirm, and the quote is actually €1,120 TPO :mad:

Not worth my while changing insurance policy as I'll be penalised more than I'll save... :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement