Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes

• 17-08-2005 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm trying to get a feel of what everyone else is being quoted for their insurance.

I started off 3.5 years ago with Hibernian, who charged me €2,400 TPO on a Suzuki Marauder 125cc. First renewal - my insurance dropped €200. Second renewal (18 months ago), my insurance *went up* by that same €200 to €2,400. So that year, I switched to Carole Nash, at €1650 TPO. At that time, AON were quoting me similar to Hibernian, being one and the same. My last renewal with CN, my insurance dropped a piddling amount to €1,430 TPO.

Now, I passed my test today, and gave CN a ring. I'm refunded €150. Em, ok.

So as it stands:
    Licence: Full
    NCB: 3 years
    Bike: Honda Varadero 125 (Group 2).

Carole Nash: €1,270 TPO
    AON/Axa: €568 TPO (I rang them today - Fully comp is *still cheaper* than the above CN price).

Has anyone else been getting quotes this good from Aon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

No.
    License: Prov
    NCB: 1yr
    Bike: Honda NSR 125 Restricted (Group 2)

Carole Nash: won't quote me
    AON: 1916EUR.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

i pay 400€ full comp on my moped. im 22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

22, Full Licence, 2yrs NCB, Suzuki Burgman 125 - 1700 from AON, couldnt believe when they said it to me. Its bloody awful how much bike insurance is but the risks are also high so its kind of understandable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Angry_Man

Had to sell my CBR250R (Group 5), as couldn't afford the 3k Hibernian were looking for last year.

Got a NSR80 6 months ago (pathetic and common as muck, i know, but just about affordable) to get me round the place...

So....
    NCB: 4 years
    Licence: Full A

CN: €1463 TPO (what an odd number???)
    AON: €900 TPO

Given that TPO doesn't cover injury to me, can somebody please explain to me how I can do that much third party damage on an NSR80?
    Its bloody awful how much bike insurance is but the risks are also high so its kind of understandable

KS, I assume that 1700 is TPO? If so then high risk to you shouldn't come into it. It's supposed to be representitive of the damage you could do to a third party...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

24, full b licence.. Quote on a 50cc moped CN=€1150 AON=€550 Looking for one of those 125 mopeds so i can use it on the M50, new to this game so i've a lot of reading to do(aswell as learning)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Fúck you're getting raped almost as much as me.

unklerosco wrote:
    Quote on a 50cc moped CN=€1150 AON=€550

Yeah, a lot of my friends are getting quotes from AON that are half of the CN quote for the same bike....

Angry_Man wrote:
    KS, I assume that 1700 is TPO? If so then high risk to you shouldn't come into it. It's supposed to be representitive of the damage you could do to a third party...

Yeah it is only TPO, CN were 200 more expensive though.

Yeah it is only TPO, CN were 200 more expensive though.

Not suprised, I've never heard of anyone getting a cheaper quote from CN than they did from AON...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Jabari Scrawny Neurologist

Male
    4 years no claims
    Full licence
    Living in Dublin
    Last renewal i was on a cbr250, AON wanted €2000ish, Nash wanted €2300
    Was planning on getting a SV650S at the time, AON wanted €7000, Nash wanted €2500

So i went with Nash and when i got my SV last week just changed the bike on my policy

All the quotes were TPO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Angry_Man wrote:
    Given that TPO doesn't cover injury to me, can somebody please explain to me how I can do that much third party damage on an NSR80?
    Pillions :(
    Not suprised, I've never heard of anyone getting a cheaper quote from CN than they did from AON...
    Seems to vary a lot from person to person.
    I've been with CN for the last 7 years or so and every year since I've checked Hibernian when renewing. Hibernian were always at least 40% dearer for me. Last year they wanted more for TPO than CN wanted for TPFT. Go figure. I know people who had exactly the same thing, only with CN consistently dearer.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I really want to start riding a bike. Looking at a BMW F650GS.

32 year old male living in Dublin.
    Provisional License (almost)
    CN €2300ish fully comp.
    AON €1500ish fully comp.

Not bad considering.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

My last insurance age 25, 2 yrs ncb, nsr125 full power E600 with full licence, with CN,, Suzuki Sv s650 was E812

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

MrPudding wrote:
    I really want to start riding a bike. Looking at a BMW F650GS.

32 year old male living in Dublin.
    Provisional License (almost)
    CN €2300ish fully comp.
    AON €1500ish fully comp.

Not bad considering.

MrP
    That's a pretty good price with AON. Should shoot down with 1st year's NCB and/or full licence.

ninja900 wrote:
    Pillions :(

Yeah, true, that makes sense... Not that I'd be going anywhere fast 2 up on an NSR80, unless it was downhill :D
    BrynW wrote:
    Last renewal i was on a cbr250, AON wanted €2000ish, Nash wanted €2300

Hmm, I got quoted €3000ish by Hibernian & AON six months ago for my cbr250R, broke my heart cause I just couldn't afford it....

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

NCB: 3 years
    Bike: Yamaha FJR1300 (CN group 14)
    RoSPA bronze (extra 20% discount)
    MAG discount 10%

Carole Nash: €1500 FC
    AON/Axa: €1600 FC

My old bike, a group 7 was going to cost about 1000 with CN and I wanted to get something bigger. Any of the 600s I looked at (Fazer, Hornet) were going to cost the same to insure as the FJR. That's mad Ted, this thing has >140BHP and is capable of 150mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Age 34, full licence 9 years, NCB 10 years, Rospa silver (10% discount), MAG discount.

Bike: Kawasaki GPz900R

Last year it was 780 euro TPFT (CN). This year it qualifies for classic insurance (15 years old) so it went down to 360 :D

I just bought a Triumph Trophy 900 today though which isn't classic yet, so my premium will now shoot back up to what it was, if not more... ah well!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

23, full licence, 4 yr no claim
    1996 transalp, 600cc
    E3000 tpo from hibernian
    E1600 tpo from carole nash

guess which one i went for?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

26, M, D15.

Provisional, 0 NCB.

1982 Suzuki GSX250e.

€965 TPO (CN).

Luckily my house insurance all risks will cover F&T on this bike a it's only valued at around €650!

From my many calls to Aon & CN getting quotes for allsorts of bikes under the 33HP and over the 125cc (For the A licence) the bike I bought was the cheapest. Aon wanted €1400 for the same bike. I believe CN prefer older riders and certainly prefer older bikes, for example CN wanted €1200 for an 88 Virago 250cc but €1700 for a 00 of the same bike! And that was TPO? (woman said the higher premium was because the bike, being newer was mre likely to be robbed and crashed by the thief, resulting in a 3rd party claim from the poor unfortunate the scumbag crashes into-very annoying as I wanted a 00 Virago but wasn't prepared to fork out that much insurance for a learner bike).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Licence: Provisional A
    NCB: 0
    Bike: CBR250

Aon:1400 TPO
    CN: 1700 TPO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Licence: Provisional A (2nd)
    NCB: 3
    Bike: Yamaha XVS250

Aon:1700 TPO
    CN: 1790 TPO

Thouse where my last insuance quoats. (From meath *cough*)
    I rang Aon during the summer to get an idea on how much I'd need come November. I was told 1,400 on my prov... Looking into getting my full at the moment but want to wait till I am sorted for my car one as well (learing to drive at the mo) As my work will write a little for both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Licence: Provisional A (1st)
    Sex: F
    Bike: gonna be Honda NSR125R (has anybody seen it for sale smwh? :rolleyes: )

AON: 650 TPO ;)
    CN: 1143 TPO :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

just got quoted, going to wait till next year because of it.

licence : prov a
    ncb : 0 ncb
    cbr 250

aon - €2056 tpft (dropping to as little as €1400 if i do lessons with an approved instructor)

was told if i was 25 it would have been €900 without lessons. so gonna wait the extra 6 months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

j@utis wrote:
    Licence: Provisional A (1st)
    Sex: F
    Bike: gonna be Honda NSR125R (has anybody seen it for sale smwh? :rolleyes: )

AON: 650 TPO ;)
    CN: 1143 TPO :eek:
    thats cheap for a group 7 bike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

madrab wrote:
    thats cheap for a group 7 bike
    is an NSR125R a group 7 bike? I'm taking it she means to get a restricted one of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

sutty is right - NSR125R-estricted, group2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

seamus wrote:
    That's a pretty good price with AON. Should shoot down with 1st year's NCB and/or full licence.
    Yeah, I thought it was OK. I want to do the ROSPA training first. Also need to persuade the GF that I really need the bike.:D

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    I want to do the ROSPA training first.MrP

A little off topic here but has anyone done the training and how was it??

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Eye

good god, having read through the thread so far i must be the only one getting a good deal (if you could call it that) from carole nash ;)

Licence: Provisional A
    NCB: 6 years
    Bike: Yamaha Dragstar XVS650 (group 5 afaik)

Aon wanted just over €1420 for third party
    Carole Nash covered me for €1030 so i stayed with them as i have done for the past few years :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Carole Nash have also been good to me this year (Changed to them from Aon)

NCB: 5 years
    Bike: BMW R1150GS (Group 11, I think)

CN: €1149
    Aon: €1300, dropped to €1250 once I mentioned the CN quote, but they refused to drop any further, stating that CN didn't have the same risk pool blah blah blah.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement