Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do people say the mortgage is the cheapest money you'll get?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Some stir I've caused :pac:

Fair enough points. For completeness i decided to work it out

According to the calculator:

Mortgage Value after a year (no overpayments): €244,780

After a year of overpaying €870: €234,196

Difference: €10,584

Total payments over the year: €10,440

Interest saved in first year: €144

But that isn't the end of it as with this method you have less of a mortgage left at the end of year 1 than taking the 10k and putting it in. It's €234,502 left after the lump sum.

OK, so I've sat down and worked out the figures. Lets assume there are 3 options here,

Option 1 - Do nothing and just pay off the loans each month

Option 2 - Pay €10K into the mortgage and reduce it to €240,000 @ 3% for 30 years

Option 3 - Clear the personal loan, make 12 overpayments to the mortgage of €872.20 and then continue the original payment of €1,054.01 for the duration of the mortgage.

The total interest payable for:

Option 1 is €129,910 (Mortgage interest of €129,443 and loan interest of €466)
    Option 2 is €124,732 (Mortgage interest of €124,265 and loan interest of €466)
    Option 3 is €115,308 (Only mortgage interest as loan fully paid off)

It's worth noting that in option 3 not only is there a monthly over payment in Year 1, because the capital has been reduced by these 12 over payments from Year 2 on by maintaining the original repayment of €1,054.01 this now includes a smaller over payment of €45.69

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

OK, so I've sat down and worked out the figures. Lets assume there are 3 options here,

Option 1 - Do nothing and just pay off the loans each month

Option 2 - Pay €10K into the mortgage and reduce it to €240,000 @ 3% for 30 years

Option 3 - Clear the personal loan, make 12 overpayments to the mortgage of €872.20 and then continue the original payment of €1,054.01 for the duration of the mortgage.

The total interest payable for:

Option 1 is €129,910 (Mortgage interest of €129,443 and loan interest of €466)
    Option 2 is €124,732 (Mortgage interest of €124,265 and loan interest of €466)
    Option 3 is €115,308 (Only mortgage interest as loan fully paid off)

It's worth noting that in option 3 not only is there a monthly over payment in Year 1, because the capital has been reduced by these 12 over payments from Year 2 on by maintaining the original repayment of €1,054.01 this now includes a smaller over payment of €45.69

According to halifax calculator your numbers for option 2 are wrong, they say a 10k lump sum pay off would save €13,849 over option 1. I think the difference is you made it 240k @ 30 years you changed the monthly payments to be lower, which you wouldn't normally do when overpaying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

According to halifax calculator your numbers for option 2 are wrong, they say a 10k lump sum pay off would save €13,849 over option 1. I think the difference is you made it 240k @ 30 years you changed the monthly payments to be lower, which you wouldn't normally do when overpaying

Yes, I should have added an additional monthly over payment to keep the repayment constant at €1,054.01. I did for option 3 but not 2. Thanks for checking.

So, now my figures are

Option 1 - is €129,910 (Mortgage interest of €129,443 and loan interest of €466)
    Option 2 - is €116,001 (Mortgage interest of €115,534 and loan interest of €466)
    Option 3 - is €115,308 (Only mortgage interest as loan fully paid off)

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

macplaxton wrote: »
    IME the cheapest money I ever borrowed was a UK Student Loan. Interest at RPI inflation rate, deferable in 12 month periods if earnings less than 80% average wage. If you never earn enough it got written off after 25 years.

In the last year I was paying it, I got money off the balance - because the first batch of loans were tied to RPI inflation rate whatever happened, so the interest went negative.

Yes, my UK student loan is my cheapest. Current interest rate is 1.75% I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Main reason is that the interest rate is the cheapest rate you'll ever get for a loan. Some credit cards are charging close to 20 percent interest. The other reason that this is the cheapest money you'll ever get is that you are buying a house /apartment. Within a few years you will be paying less in mortgage payments than you would paying rent. In a few decades you will be rent & mortgage free & you will own a valuable property.

• Advertisement
Advertisement