Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Headphones grumble ad infinitum

• 21-02-2020 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi, I've always been one of the cranky auld lads, harrumphing about new fangled audiogrammes reproducing his master's voice on top of the coffin etc.

Well an unfortunate chap lost a case re the relative liabilities attaching to someone running with headphones when encountering someone shouting warnings re the miellineal-old issue of 'loose' horses.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/0221/1116846-gary-turner-court/

I'm sure there'll be an appeal but for race organisers they can sleep a little more soundly if a couple with headphones are run over by a ten tonne truck etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Looks like a #jogging story. Or is it #yogging? #newsman #notanchorman

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

Just recently in the bargain alerts forum I had a guy asking me if the noise cancelling in a pair headphones would be good for when they are out running.

its natural selection

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Bone conducting headphones are the only earphones that are approved for use in all road races under the UK Athletics Rules of Competition. The Rules are clear that “in ear” headphones cannot be used in events where roads are open to traffic.

https://www.englandathletics.org/about-us/our-partners/aftershokz/

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

My Jabra Elite Active 65t in ear wireless buds will let through ambient sound with a double click on the side. I always listen to Podcasts though rather than music and so almost always have just a right ear bud in meaning I can hear in my left ear whats going on around me.

Would never need or want to wear them in a race though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Except they don't work in an area with loads of noise or on a windy day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Except they don't work in an area with loads of noise or on a windy day

Never had an issue with them, wear them under a beanie in the winter.
    Listen to about 20 books a year while running and multiple podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Never had an issue with them, wear them under a beanie in the winter.
    Listen to about 20 books a year while running and multiple podcasts.

Always find the wind is an issue or running near a main road. I get too warm with a hat.

Great for in a park though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

I only run with 1 ear piece in, the right, so I can hear traffic.
    Though recently I'm wearing none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I use the Aftershokz (bone conduction so not in-ear) and find great to have mostly full hearing to surroundings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The bone conducting headphones are great, but don't get carried away with thinking that makes you actually aware of what is going on around you. If you are listening to something else on any form of headphones, or even just running along chatting to your mate next to you, then you are distracted and not fully aware of what is happening around you.

The sound might be reaching your ears, but that doesn't mean that it is reaching your brain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Wouldn't listen to podcasts for this reason ... feel it requires a zoned-in level of concentration that focuses me away from my environment. Music is just background distraction that I don't have to focus on and leaves me more aware of my surroundings.

Advertisement