Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New furry Baby has a tumour

• 16-02-2020 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

Rescued a more mature lady 3 weeks ago.

She was very overweight and badly matted when we got her.

We have her on a strict diet under vet supervision. Got her shaved at groomer to make her more comfy.

When shaved we discovered a lump, it is in muscle on one of her thighs. She is back for fasting bloods early next week.

She is happy and seems perfectly healthy otherwise.

I'm so worried insurance definitely won't cover any costs either.

She is still to overweight for op to remove so I'm worried sick in case it's the big C.

She has about another 4 kilos to loose

Anyone else been through this

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

One of my rescues just had 3 lumps removed on Thursday, vets are sure 2 are fatty and nothing to be concerned about - the 3rd has been sent for biopsy. Same guy had a malignant tumour removed from his chest 6 months ago.

Can't get insurance for him as he had a liver shunt when we fostered him 7 years ago - we adopted him 6 years ago. He had the OP, is recovered,but due to medical history insurance is out.
    If the latest tumour is malignant then we will need to get scans done to find out what the story is

Best advice I can give is take it one step at a time. Get the bloods done first, then go from there.
    I would be surprised if insurance doesn't pay out but a lot depends on the company. I have heard from vets that some are ok to work with while others can be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Rescued a more mature lady 3 weeks ago.

She was very overweight and badly matted when we got her.

We have her on a strict diet under vet supervision. Got her shaved at groomer to make her more comfy.

When shaved we discovered a lump, it is in muscle on one of her thighs. She is back for fasting bloods early next week.

She is happy and seems perfectly healthy otherwise.

I'm so worried insurance definitely won't cover any costs either.

She is still to overweight for op to remove so I'm worried sick in case it's the big C.

She has about another 4 kilos to loose

Anyone else been through this

Dog or cat or?

Do you actually know it's a tumour? As the above said.. one step at a time. An elderly golden retriever joined our family just under a year ago. She was also overweight. Our groomer found one large lump and we found several smaller ones. Thankfully all fat deposits of one sort or another. Hopefully the same is true of your pupper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Just get them checked and take it from there. Bailey has loads of fatty lumps/lipomas. The vet will know from feeling if it's fat and will do a fine needle aspiration and dye it to be sure. I don't think we were even charged last time he had one checked! The only one he's had removed was one that was on his paw as it had started to affect how he was walking after about a year - the rest are all still there and we keep an eye on them. One is like half a tennis ball at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

It's a dog, vet says it's definately not a fatty lump she can tell by feeling it.

Insurance is only 3 weeks old and the lump only became evident after groomer discovered it. Due to its size it would be pre existing so they won't cover it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

It's a dog, vet says it's definately not a fatty lump she can tell by feeling it.

Insurance is only 3 weeks old and the lump only became evident after groomer discovered it. Due to its size it would be pre existing so they won't cover it

1 lump removal, plus biopsy, plus aftercare without insurance cost me €400 in Cork.
    Speak to the Rescue you adopted her from and see if you can use their vet- most decent vets give discounts to Rescues.

Now, just a warning that only a biopsy will absolutely confirm or deny if it's a benign or a malignant tumor. Vet cannot tell by looking at it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

That’s not correct no vet can tell 100% from feeling it ... it needs a biopsy.

Cooling off period is 2 weeks for insurance and the rescue you got the dog from can send a letter stating the dog had no pre existing conditions to their knowledge

My guy got large lumps removed and biopsy etc cost €250 (my insurance did cover it)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Allianz will cover it once illness occurs 14 days after you took it out.
    I have always found them very good.
    My dog has loads of lumps and bumps. The vet usually sticks something into them when she gets checked.
    However for the last 2 years she has had some suspicious ones which needed a biopsy.
    I can’t remember the cost but I think it was €600ish but from memory I got charged a “geriatric anaesthetic” which I presume is probably more expensive than a normal one?
    It claimed back from Allianz. Thankfully all those lumps and bumps were not cancerous. :)

Advertisement