Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike upgrade

• 09-02-2020 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Looking to upgrade. I have a GSR600 and have had it, ridden 5 days a week to and from work daily plus a couple of blasts around Wicklow. Want something a bit quicker, with a bit more power and was looking at sports bikes.

I chose the GSR600 as didn't really feel like the GSXR as my first bike would be the right choice but now I am happy and confident to upgrade. I was looking for any advice on sport bikes or: GSXR 600 Vs 1000, R1, CBR etc. If anyone has any do's and dont's or any pitfalls.

Would like it to do a short 30minute commute ew as well as some weekend driving.

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Personally I find the riding position on sports bikes to be crap for commuting and even a vfr was too sporty a position for me. That said I have 2 mates who commute on cbr600s and they say they are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Mate swapped his Gixer 1000 for a GSX-S1000F . Its much more comfy without losing the power. great all rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I wouldn't commute 30 mins on a sportsbike 5 days a week tbh. Reasons

Riding position comfort.
    Riding position visibility
    Riding position weather shielding

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waillee123

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Mate swapped his Gixer 1000 for a GSX-S1000F . Its much more comfy without losing the power. great all rounder.

Thanks, I really like the naked version of the GSX-S but it is slightly out of my price range. Looks like a new, improved, more powerful version of the GSR!

Thanks all, the commuting comfort isn't really a massive issue as it is a short hop to & from work on National road. I am not going through the city thankfully so the visibility won't be too much of a problem (me thinks!!). I have always wanted the GSXR, hence why I started with the GSR- untuned engine shared with that and mine.

Regarding R1 v GSXR (600/1000) v CBR etc, does anyone have any advice; owned one, years to avoid, stories on owning one.... And if anyone from personal experience has any advice on alternatives? Should say I am in the market for 5-6k...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mamax

Every bike/model will always have it's own niggles, you just have to find a well cared for bike that you like and want.
    If you want a sportsbike get insurance quotes first and test ride a few of them, I loved my blade but couldn't ride it for more than an hour, upright bike for me for the rest of my days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Years ago I went from a GSR600 to a R1. I loved my R1, used it for everything! The step up in power was frightening, in hindsight I should have gone R6 rather than R1. Daily commute went from 30km+ to <5km (office relocation) and it killed the R1 doing such short distances. I honestly wish I had kept the GSR as my commuter and only had the R1 for the weekend/fun.

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    Years ago I went from a GSR600 to a R1. I loved my R1, used it for everything! The step up in power was frightening, in hindsight I should have gone R6 rather than R1. Daily commute went from 30km+ to <5km (office relocation) and it killed the R1 doing such short distances. I honestly wish I had kept the GSR as my commuter and only had the R1 for the weekend/fun.

That is good info Colm, thank you. Hadn't considered that the short runs could in fact affect it. The new(ish) GSR750 looks good. Have some food for thought anyway.. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭multiscan

zubair wrote: »
    Personally I find the riding position on sports bikes to be crap for commuting and even a vfr was too sporty a position for me. That said I have 2 mates who commute on cbr600s and they say they are great.

did daily run on cbr600 and cant fault it, its quick enough when you crank it up and uber reliable tool. position was just right for me and not back breaking

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Personally I think you should get a HACK for the commute and then buy something really nice for EVERYTHING else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

multiscan wrote: »
    did daily run on cbr600 and cant fault it, its quick enough when you crank it up and uber reliable tool. position was just right for me and not back breaking

The only new bike I've ever bought was a 1998 CBR600F, I put 62000 miles on it in five years, commuting, going to rallies all over Ireland, a few trips to Wales, and big tours in Europe every summer, a couple of track days too. Really was an all-rounder, sporty enough but comfortable all day long, I did Cherbourg to Bordeaux once in a day no problem. There isn't really a bike like that now, 600 sportsbikes went mad track-focused, CBF600s etc have very high bars and cheap suspension, and most of the market started indulging Charley and Ewan fantasists... :(

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Personally I think you should get a HACK for the commute and then buy something really nice for EVERYTHING else.

Yeah I have an SV1000S hack :D just as well I only do commuting on it, it drinks like a fish! Small enough tank, too.

Woohoo 19,000th post :p Remember the excitement when a mechanical odometer would roll over from x 9999 to x+1 0000 :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

Thanks everyone. I think my heart is set on a GSXR... Probably should start with the 600 but the 750 is tempting.

Also if you know anyone in the market for a GSR, 1 lady owner, low miles and a good runner! :)

As i said earlier, I wouldn't recommend any sports bike as a commuter, but it seems you're going this route anyway, from what I know of the 2 bikes the 750 has more torque lower down and so would be better suited to commuting.

Not wanting to parrot on too much, try and get a test ride on one as the riding position is vastly different to your bandit. I know many people commute on them, but if you're using your bike for commuting 99% of the time, so filtering and dealing with horrible wet winter days, it's nice to be on the bike for the job. I'd rather be on a faired bandit than a gsxr going to work.

zubair wrote: »
    As i said earlier, I wouldn't recommend any sports bike as a commuter, but it seems you're going this route anyway, from what I know of the 2 bikes the 750 has more torque lower down and so would be better suited to commuting.

Not wanting to parrot on too much, try and get a test ride on one as the riding position is vastly different to your bandit. I know many people commute on them, but if you're using your bike for commuting 99% of the time, so filtering and dealing with horrible wet winter days, it's nice to be on the bike for the job. I'd rather be on a faired bandit than a gsxr going to work.

Thanks Zub! Yeah I'll definetly be taking a test drive of one and if it's not right, it's not right and I'll look at something else. Not parroting and thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

750 Gsxr all day long. The best sports bike you can own. Real world power, easy to maintain and reliable as they come. Forget the you can't commute on one comments, sure I wouldn't courier on one but for 30 mins each way you'll get to work with a smile on your face each and every day. Life's too short not own one.

And yes how I miss mine.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    750 Gsxr all day long. The best sports bike you can own. Real world power, easy to maintain and reliable as they come. Forget the you can't commute on one comments, sure I wouldn't courier on one but for 30 mins each way you'll get to work with a smile on your face each and every day. Life's too short not own one.

And yes how I miss mine.

Brilliant thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

I've been commuting for 6 years M50, mostly on a Blackbird.. small stint on a Bandit 1200, and now on to a Gsxr 1000 k8.

I suppose it depends on your size and condition but i really prefer the sports bike seating position and don't see myself changing for another 10 years or so.

If it suits your budget the Gsxr K8 is a great bike, i know any bike can have it's problems but the comfort and power really surprised me. coming from the comfortable/heavy blackbird to a light and agile rocket was real fun.

I had intended on using the reduced power function for the Gsxr which allows you to set the engine and throttle response to 3 stages of power but really haven't felt the need, like all bikes it only goes as fast as you tell it to.

Get good Goretex or similar and the weather protection wont matter as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    I've been commuting for 6 years M50, mostly on a Blackbird.. small stint on a Bandit 1200, and now on to a Gsxr 1000 k8.

I suppose it depends on your size and condition but i really prefer the sports bike seating position and don't see myself changing for another 10 years or so.

If it suits your budget the Gsxr K8 is a great bike, i know any bike can have it's problems but the comfort and power really surprised me. coming from the comfortable/heavy blackbird to a light and agile rocket was real fun.

I had intended on using the reduced power function for the Gsxr which allows you to set the engine and throttle response to 3 stages of power but really haven't felt the need, like all bikes it only goes as fast as you tell it to.

Amen on the good weather gear. Nothing improves motorbiking as much as decent gear in this country.

inchiuvatu wrote: »

Good gear makes a big difference with our weather and you only notice it if your missing something....

Thanks for the info on the k8. That's really what I'm looking at but it seems all those with a 750 aren't selling theres! :(

• Advertisement

While it is a good time to buy if you can find the bike you want, sales pick up around April and you'll find one then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Claud 14.7 to 1

30 minutes (x2) each day on a sports bike for me is no problem. I've done hours and hours on a sports bike many many times and it was fine.

I think you should narrow down to 1 or 2 models (or so) and give them a test ride at dealer or test from friend. Sometimes the bigger displacement bikes are more comfortable as they are just bigger bikes overall so more space for arms and legs (e.g. GSX-R 600 vs the 750). Also some models/years are more "comfortable".

Sports bikes across the board seem to vary in their comfort and I think some people just can't get comfortable on them but for me it's never really a big problem. Also depends if you are tall, short, weight, flexible, inflexible etc.

Also there are ways to make a sports bike more comfortable by changing bars, rearsets, seat, adjusting the suspension, fitting a different taller screen etc.

For me a bigger issue might be servicing (and parts) and fuel comsumption etc., but to be fair I prefer sports bikes over pretty much everything else, even for commuting, especially for 30 minutes (x2) commute which is nothing really, in my opinion.

Advertisement