Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance company denying cover for car hire

Options
  • 07-02-2020 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi, I wonder if anybody can help.

I was recently in an accident and under my insurance policy received a replacement car for a week. I extended the car hire at my expense but arranged for my policy to cover the vehicle insurance. During that period my name driver had another incident for which I made a claim. However the insurance company is now claiming that they did not provide cover and are refusing to play the claim. They seem to be indicating that because they were not paying for the vehicle hire somehow the vehicle was not covered.

This happened a number of months ago so I don't have detailed records to hand but I do know that I arranged transfer of my insurance policy over the phone to cover the hire vehicle. I presume the car hire company is, in any case, under a legal obligation to ensure the vehicle is insured before it is made available for hire

My question is can anyone confirm this and do they know the specific piece of legislation that places this obligation?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

miyoung wrote: »
    I was recently in an accident and under my insurance policy received a replacement car for a week. I extended the car hire at my expense but arranged for my policy to cover the vehicle insurance. During that period my name driver had another incident for which I made a claim. However the insurance company is now claiming that they did not provide cover and are refusing to play the claim. They seem to be indicating that because they were not paying for the vehicle hire somehow the vehicle was not covered.

Are they denying there was any cover or just for the named driver? Who provided insurance cover for the first week - was the car a regular rental from a car hire company or a 'replacement car' from a garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 miyoung

'Are they denying there was any cover or just for the named driver? Who provided insurance cover for the first week - was the car a regular rental from a car hire company or a 'replacement car' from a garage?'

Yes, they are denying there was coverage. The cover for the first week was my personal policy - the car was a regular rental car from a hire company.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

This happened a number of months ago so I don't have detailed records to hand but I do know that I arranged transfer of my insurance policy over the phone to cover the hire vehicle. I presume the car hire company is, in any case, under a legal obligation to ensure the vehicle is insured before it is made available for hire

My question is can anyone confirm this and do they know the specific piece of legislation that places this obligation?

Thanks,

Did you extend the transfer of the policy when you extended the rental period? Usually when a temporary transfer is done with insurance they will have an end date for the transfer, the time you were supposed to have it for, so if you got the car for a week originally your transfer would be valid when you extended the rental the transfer wouldn't automatically be extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 miyoung

Yes, recollection is that the cover was extended over the phone, and this was one of the things the hire company needed to know before they extended the hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes, recollection is that the cover was extended over the phone, and this was one of the things the hire company needed to know before they extended the hire.

So surely you had to produce something to satisfy hire company or insurer had to send docs direct to hire company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Thanks,
    Ask for a recording of your phone conversation,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

When an insurer provides you with a courtesy hire vehicle, following an accident, they usually take care of the transfer of insurance for that period. If you decide to extend hire beyond that timeframe, you have to make insurance arrangements personally.

The date you did this should be easily traceable and phone records can be obtained

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement