Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorbike Air-vest.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I shelled out for the Astars vest a while back. Due to unforseen circumstances I'm currently a long way from my machine but I was happy with it in general. Completely understand the price issue tho

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

If you don't mind wearing a melted welly there's a v affordable tethered version, only €170 found here: https://www.motea.com/en/airbag-vest-for-husqvarna-norden-901-xgp-va8-protection-black-size-l-a044643-0

If you think the black is bad then see the yellow, its like wearing a life jacket !! I've tried in insert the image here, but it's on the link anyway.

airbag-vest-for-husqvarna-norden-901-xgp-va8-protection-black-size-l-a044643-0

Betsy Og wrote: »
    If you don't mind wearing a melted welly there's a v affordable tethered version, only €170 found here: https://www.motea.com/en/airbag-vest-for-husqvarna-norden-901-xgp-va8-protection-black-size-l-a044643-0

If you think the black is bad then see the yellow, its like wearing a life jacket !! I've tried in insert the image here, but it's on the link anyway.

airbag-vest-for-husqvarna-norden-901-xgp-va8-protection-black-size-l-a044643-0

Looks very like the Helite Betsy. If it is then it's much less obvious than you think. A lad in work had one.

Spent half the day on this, conclusions;

Splits into

1) tethered (all external); Helite Turtle c€400, Husqvarna €170 (CE certified), Merlin, Bering C-Protect

2) vests underneath (none tethered); Dainese Smart D Air Airbag Vest, Alpine Stars Tech Air 5, Ixon IX-Airbag U03 Airbag Vest (subscription)

3) own tech (i.e. sensors not subscription) Helite-e (external) €690, Dainese Smart D Air Airbag Vest, Alpine Stars Tech Air 5

4) Subscribed tech - RST, Furygan, Ixon, Held e-Vest etc., most using In & Box (120 p.a., or €12p.m. or €400 up front, or buy out for €99 after 3 years) - that's all on top of the €500 or whatever to buy the vest/jacket (some of which are specially made for a particular airbag).

5) extortionate cost and hassle post deployment - Dainese send back & €300, Alpine Stars - same.

All I wanted was an own tech vest to wear under a jacket, easy recharge. Could I find it?, No.

Closest is Heilte-e, but not meant to be worn underneath (on some Turtles it says could be under but recommend external) - probably be fine if enough room in jacket (&, if relevant, tether can work around), €30 to do a test run - price of cartridge - & hope doesnt pop jacket!

What will I do?, might buy the melted welly (Husqvarna), pop a high viz over it (to hide my shame) and see how it goes. Have an old textile jacket with bits of armour on shoulder etc (look of it prob doesn't matter if welly & high vis on). Don't like the subscriber thing, or integrated in a particular jacket (what if want to change jacket).

Only that I fell in love with the RST adventure jacket (part white, no need of high vis with it) €321 (€535 + subscription for airbag version) I'd go Helite turtle, or if I was feeling good to myself, Helite-e for more dependable deployment & no tether faffing. As mentioned I might consider putting a Helite under it. As I'm on - helmet - looking at AGV K5-2 c€250, I know flip probably more the adventure style, but can't break the bank at every side, seems a good make, even if at the mid/lower end of their range.

Betsy Og wrote: »
    Spent half the day on this, conclusions;

Splits into

1) tethered (all external); Helite Turtle c€400, Husqvarna €170 (CE certified), Merlin, Bering C-Protect

2) vests underneath (none tethered); Dainese Smart D Air Airbag Vest, Alpine Stars Tech Air 5, Ixon IX-Airbag U03 Airbag Vest (subscription)

3) own tech (i.e. sensors not subscription) Helite-e (external) €690, Dainese Smart D Air Airbag Vest, Alpine Stars Tech Air 5

4) Subscribed tech - RST, Furygan, Ixon, Held e-Vest etc., most using In & Box (120 p.a., or €12p.m. or €400 up front, or buy out for €99 after 3 years) - that's all on top of the €500 or whatever to buy the vest/jacket (some of which are specially made for a particular airbag).

5) extortionate cost and hassle post deployment - Dainese send back & €300, Alpine Stars - same.

All I wanted was an own tech vest to wear under a jacket, easy recharge. Could I find it?, No.

Closest is Heilte-e, but not meant to be worn underneath (on some Turtles it says could be under but recommend external) - probably be fine if enough room in jacket (&, if relevant, tether can work around), €30 to do a test run - price of cartridge - & hope doesnt pop jacket!

What will I do?, might buy the melted welly (Husqvarna), pop a high viz over it (to hide my shame) and see how it goes. Have an old textile jacket with bits of armour on shoulder etc (look of it prob doesn't matter if welly & high vis on). Don't like the subscriber thing, or integrated in a particular jacket (what if want to change jacket).

Only that I fell in love with the RST adventure jacket (part white, no need of high vis with it) €321 (€535 + subscription for airbag version) I'd go Helite turtle, or if I was feeling good to myself, Helite-e for more dependable deployment & no tether faffing. As mentioned I might consider putting a Helite under it. As I'm on - helmet - looking at AGV K5-2 c€250, I know flip probably more the adventure style, but can't break the bank at every side, seems a good make, even if at the mid/lower end of their range.

If you're interested in the 'melted welly' try one. You might be surprised how unobtrusive it really is.
    Equally the Helite. Like I say I bought the astars and was happy enough with it. But having seen the Helite tethered one in person after it I was impressed also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Spend the money on a good helmet first, then boots, gloves, then pants, jacket, armour. Only then worry about airvest.

(If you have all that, disregard everything I said)

But this is worth a watch. Learnt a few things.

https://youtu.be/rmWQKoN6yX0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Air vest definitely last. Just upgrade your back protector in your jacket or get a stand alone one with more coverage, much cheaper.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd seen that youtube vid alright, it is good. Like ye are saying I'll get the rest of it sorted first. Have jacket, pants, wrecked Motocross style boots (Berik), so they're safe (nearly to knee) and pants covers them, but definitely 'early doors' upgrade for comfort. Helmet and gloves with slider pads are first up, should get/order today from lads buying bike from.

Think I'll buy the Husqvarna airvest for starters. cheap as chips, should do the job if ... God forbid..., will post an 'unboxing' vid :p, won't be wasted as even if I upgrade, it'll do me for when training for young fella at lowish speeds (give him the good one!). If all going well, and over time, I think I'd build up to Helite e-turtle 2 - an article in Ride (will post photos of it) says can wear under as well (I guess have it bought before getting "good jacket" so get sizes right). Just to note on that Helite e-Turtle, you can get a fork sensor (for stationary hits), for another €133 - you're then up to €800!:eek: which I know is the price of many bikes!! The high vis costs about €30 more but as well off go black & stick a (loose) high vis over it, easier keep clean.

Anyway, I better shut up, can you get banned for boring the arse off people??:D

That article is attached as 2 jpegs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

"Betsy wrote:
    Anyway, I better shut up, can you get banned for boring the arse off people??:D

Yes :-|

• Advertisement

It may have taken months and months but it has arrived and doesn't look at all as bad as I thought it might (obv the photos on the website link above are what it looks like when inflated, and God knows be the last thing on anyone's mind in there's an inflation event)! Quality seems good, not flimsy.

When I get a chance I'll take a photo of it over jacket, where it would be less obvious again, but the attached photos give you a fair idea.

At €181 all in its spectacular value compared to the others. Assuming I get on ok with it I'll prob order one for the young fella (he's not on roads yet). Got it in black as easier keep looking middling (throwing a loose high viz over it anyway).

It has a hard backprotector on it, looks a bit on the small side compared to normal, but no doubt made to work with the inflation system. Would be better than nothing if forgot to click on etc.

Anyways, someone might find this useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't think it's villa or westham.

Galway United ?

Farkin Come On ____ ___

It's a training top bought at Upton Park (....or the Boleyn Ground if you're a hipster....)

Advertisement