Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorbike Air-vest.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Looking to get one of the air-vests for on the bike, has anyone on here actually got one?

Not sure which one to get, at the moment the Helite Turtle 2 is the front runner. Looks well can get it in a range of colours and the air cannisters are replaceable if needed.

I think I prefer the manual inflation lanyard over the more expensive electronics vest as they need to be re-calibrated if inflate and are alot more expensive.

Alot of money but I think they are worth the investment in the long run....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um-ZyVL_xgs

https://shop.held.de/en/protectors/inflatable-protector-vests-aps/562/air-vest-ii?c=316&number=006894-00-58-S
    Watching with interest as its something we should probably all have and I've wanted one ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Look up helite airvest Ireland on Facebook or ring Mark on 087 7509270. He races ss600 in Mondello and sells them.

I haven't used one myself but a lot of the lads at the Trackdays and race days are wearing them now. Any reports I've heard off lads who have fallen off in them has been 100% positive and believe me, I've picked quite a few of them up off the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

incredible money all the same. But at the same time cost on ability to walk should the unfortunate happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

There's a video doing the rounds, released by UK police, of a head on collision with a bike & car.

Apparently the rider was wearing an air bag jacket & while he suffered serious injuries, all concerned were in no doubt that he would have been killed without it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfzIYN84nDA

I have been considering one lately, getting older, bones more brittle :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Looking at these at the moment also.

I'm between the Helite Turtle 2, or the Dainese Smart Jacket

I think I prefer the sensor triggered option over the lanyard trigger. It seems the lanyard suffers from latency and doesn't take into account lowsided incidents where you stay with the bike.

My current gear has good pockets on the front which I use a lot and already has good hi-viz, so I think I'd prefer the Dainese here to go under my gear, and can also put it under my 'street' leather jacket.
    Only concern here is how to figure out how much extra breathing space the Dainese needs within your gear, but I'm hoping that after removing shoulder, hip and back protectors that it would free up some extra space anyway.

Anyone else got good experience or any other options, research done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

thos wrote: »
    Looking at these at the moment also.

I'm between the Helite Turtle 2, or the Dainese Smart Jacket

I think I prefer the sensor triggered option over the lanyard trigger. It seems the lanyard suffers from latency and doesn't take into account lowsided incidents where you stay with the bike.

My current gear has good pockets on the front which I use a lot and already has good hi-viz, so I think I'd prefer the Dainese here to go under my gear, and can also put it under my 'street' leather jacket.
    Only concern here is how to figure out how much extra breathing space the Dainese needs within your gear, but I'm hoping that after removing shoulder, hip and back protectors that it would free up some extra space anyway.

Anyone else got good experience or any other options, research done?

Is there a risk of the type of injuries these are designed to protect from with low side slide related crash ? Id say not.

These are meant for the style of crash shown in the video. Would you want 700 Euro going up if you had a slide ? I dont know. open question

If I hit the deck or leave the bike I'd want it to inflate.
    How much more expensive are the sensor ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

It's not the lowside that does the damage, it's what you slide in to, kerb, pole, tree to name a few. The vest will inflate one the lanyard is pulled, which in most lowsides will happen as you will leave the bike .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think I prefer the manual inflation lanyard

So if you forget it one day getting off the bike, it'll be like this

https://youtu.be/bii-PIGprv8?t=24

:)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

It takes 30 pounds of pressure to pull the lanyard out of the socket to inflate so Id say the chance of it actually happening are quite slim, if it does just pop in a new cannister there and then I would have a spare with me to be honest.

Thanx for all the feedback, I appreciate it. It would be nice to hear from anyone who actually wears one all the same.....I will give that facebook chap a buzz and see can he do a deal. I migh be looking for 4 or 5 incld myself and the lads I spin with....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

It takes 30 pounds of pressure to pull the lanyard out of the socket to inflate so Id say the chance of it actually happening are quite slim, if it does just pop in a new cannister there and then I would have a spare with me to be honest.

Thanx for all the feedback, I appreciate it. It would be nice to hear from anyone who actually wears one all the same.....I will give that facebook chap a buzz and see can he do a deal. I migh be looking for 4 or 5 incld myself and the lads I spin with....

If that guy does you a good deal let us know. I’d like one but I don’t like the price of them so far.

If that guy does you a good deal let us know. I’d like one but I don’t like the price of them so far.

Yeah I will see what's what... He gonna give me a buzz tomorrow from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

Yeah I will see what's what... He gonna give me a buzz tomorrow from work.

I might also be interested if there's a multibuy deal happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Alpine Stars doing a vest than can be worn with any jacket from March

https://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air-5-airbag-system

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Franm

I have been wearing the Helite one daily for the past four years or so.
    I've never put it to the test (touch wood) and hopefully won't ever find out how good it is. Nor have i activated it accidentally despite forgetting to disconnect it the odd time when hopping off the bike. It does take quite a bit of force to set it off. The other issue is really forgetting to connect it and driving down the road trying to attach the clip. You really need to pull over as it would be ironic if you were found in the wreckage with the unfastened clip in your hand.
    A few points to note are.
    Last year I received an email from the UK distributor saying to return it for a service (news to me). This could cost between €60 to €100 plus carriage cost both ways. I haven't availed of this yet and am hoping a Irish based shop will offer this service in the near future.

I opted for the hi-vis version which might not have been a good idea as it's looking fairly shabby now, my wife has the black one and wears the hi-vis over it. This is another layer to deal with so I'm not sure what's best. My helite is permanently on my jacket so I just throw the whole lot on in one go.

The vest itself is quite heavy and takes a bit of getting used to, especially in the summer. Having said that, during our really hot days I've opened my jacket completely under the vest and this has worked well re extra ventilation.

And finally a funny story, a friend bought a used one on ebay (UK) and was wondering why it never got delivered. On investigation he discovered that the UK police had carried out a controlled explosion on the package. We're guessing that the canister showed up as something more sinister on their detection systems.

In summary, I'm totally at one with my vest and it's a bit like wearing a seatbelt in a car in so far as you feel odd if you don't belt up.

Cheers and safe ridin to y'all
    Fran
    ps it is also maybe the one bike related thing that your partner wont object to you buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

steamsey wrote: »
    Alpine Stars doing a vest than can be worn with any jacket from March

https://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air-5-airbag-system

Is there s subscription to be paid as well as the initial cost of these "Smart" air vests?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Franm wrote: »
    Last year I received an email from the UK distributor saying to return it for a service (news to me). This could cost between €60 to €100 plus carriage cost both ways. I haven't availed of this yet and am hoping a Irish based shop will offer this service in the near future.

I'm not saying it's the case here but usually those service requests are down to a failure found in the system. They refer to them as a service so as not to admit liability. It could be a failure anywhere and possibly limited to a handful of cases but most likely something to do with the air system, a valve or the cylinder itself but equally could just be an issue with stitching. A pain you have to ship it back yourself though did you ask them if theres a process in place for international returns?

Franm wrote: »
    I have been wearing the Helite one daily for the past four years or so.
    I've never put it to the test (touch wood) and hopefully won't ever find out how good it is. Nor have i activated it accidentally despite forgetting to disconnect it the odd time when hopping off the bike. It does take quite a bit of force to set it off. The other issue is really forgetting to connect it and driving down the road trying to attach the clip. You really need to pull over as it would be ironic if you were found in the wreckage with the unfastened clip in your hand.

I opted for the hi-vis version which might not have been a good idea as it's looking fairly shabby now, my wife has the black one and wears the hi-vis over it. This is another layer to deal with so I'm not sure what's best. My helite is permanently on my jacket so I just throw the whole lot on in one go.

The vest itself is quite heavy and takes a bit of getting used to, especially in the summer. Having said that, during our really hot days I've opened my jacket completely under the vest and this has worked well re extra ventilation.

And finally a funny story, a friend bought a used one on ebay (UK) and was wondering why it never got delivered. On investigation he discovered that the UK police had carried out a controlled explosion on the package. We're guessing that the canister showed up as something more sinister on their detection systems.

In summary, I'm totally at one with my vest and it's a bit like wearing a seatbelt in a car in so far as you feel odd if you don't belt up.

Cheers and safe ridin to y'all
    Fran
    ps it is also maybe the one bike related thing that your partner wont object to you buying.

Any pics of the vest after 4yrs?

Also, I assume you remove shoulder/back/hip protectors when wearing the bag?

I like the look of the Helite Turtle for the fact that it seems to provide good protection around the neck:

airbag-diagram-min.jpg

The Dainese seems more shoulder protection than head/neck:
    smrtjckt_3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Is there s subscription to be paid as well as the initial cost of these "Smart" air vests?:confused:

I don't think there is any subscription.

While the Helite goes over your jacket - the Alpinestars one goes underneath - but you do need 4cm of space around the chest area of the jacket to accommodate the inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Franm

Re the service request, I also wonder if they'll use it as a get out of jail clause in the event that it malfunctions, saying that it's not their fault because it wasn't sent back for servicing. I think there's a similar scenario with the auto-inflate life jackets used in watersports.

I just removed the back protector from my Jacket as there is a similar one inside the vest itself.

I can't post a photo yet due to insufficient posts I think.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's the case here but usually those service requests are down to a failure found in the system. They refer to them as a service so as not to admit liability.

If that's the case then it's a recall and should be FOC including postage.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If that's the case then it's a recall and should be FOC including postage.

Not necessarily life boats etc have a shelf life so it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that some components of this vest also have a shelf life but do agree it should be offered free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

I was very interested in an air vest but €500 x 2 (for wife) was a bit too rich for me.
    Ordered one of these https://a.aliexpress.com/_sZnzBM
    Thinking that I need a new hi-viz anyway so I'd nothing to lose.
    I have a few spare cartridges so can test it when it arrives.

I was very interested in an air vest but €500 x 2 (for wife) was a bit too rich for me.
    Ordered one of these https://a.aliexpress.com/_sZnzBM
    Thinking that I need a new hi-viz anyway so I'd nothing to lose.
    I have a few spare cartridges so can test it when it arrives.

Post your findings when you get a chance. Like to see a vid of it inflating when your wearing a lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

You've peaked my interest. Let us in know when you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Will do, but it will take a while to arrive. Watch thus space.

Oh god. Is "peaked my interest" the new "tow the line" ? :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Will do, but it will take a while to arrive. Watch thus space.

make sure you disinfect it when it arrives....you will be moving in biking circles dont want no Corona around here!!!!

:p

Advertisement