Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming related questions .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

i was in brittas bay the weekend and i went for a paddle up to the knees. i still cant feel my feet so I will ne leaving it a few more weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

i would rather just throw in the towel on triathlon for the year than go swimming in the sea at this time of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

I've going to try the sea later... but also going to use this opportunity to work on swimming flexibility, and area I'm extremely lacking in! Some decent looking exercises to improve flexibility in the video below.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭audiRon

I've going to try the sea later... but also going to use this opportunity to work on swimming flexibility, and area I'm extremely lacking in! Some decent looking exercises to improve flexibility in the video below.

Need some ankle stretching in there too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I read on the Aquazone/NAC Facebook page that the pool & gym is still open and only the Water Park is closed. Is this true?

• Advertisement

audiRon wrote: »
    Need some ankle stretching in there too

I've spent 10mins in the sea thanks to your previous recommendation:D- what would you recommend for ankles?

(sea was freezing and hands physically sore for the first two minutes but after that it was probably the best 8 minutes of the past 8 days)

PWEI wrote: »
    I read on the Aquazone/NAC Facebook page that the pool & gym is still open and only the Water Park is closed. Is this true?
    Pool close to all but high performance team

COVID 19 UPDATE
    Following the ongoing developments with COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Sport Ireland Campus will close to the public from 8pm Monday 16th March. There will be limited access to Campus facilities for High Performance/ National Governing Body approved training only
    Membership is frozen effective 17th March until we resume operations. Any days that have been paid for, from 17th March until reopening, will be credited to your account.
    Thank you to our members and staff for their excellent work and support in maintaining social distancing and all HSE guidelines over the recent period.
    At home work outs will be posted on our social media channels (please ensure to follow - see links below).
    We encourage all customers to follow the current COVID-19 (coronavirus) prevention guidelines and advice that is available from the HSE

I've spent 10mins in the sea thanks to your previous recommendation:D- what would you recommend for ankles?

(sea was freezing and hands physically sore for the first two minutes but after that it was probably the best 8 minutes of the past 8 days)
    Fairly thorough set of stretches from this guy

https://youtu.be/CEHzeNjtYL8
    I'll get in the sea at the weekend myself. Dublin bouy reading about 8.5, which isnt great, but could be worse!

I'll get in the sea at the weekend myself. Dublin bouy reading about 8.5, which isnt great, but could be worse!

One more for info
    http://www.feelforthewater.com/2013/03/ankle-flexibility-with-olympic-medalist.html?m=1

One more for info
    http://www.feelforthewater.com/2013/03/ankle-flexibility-with-olympic-medalist.html?m=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Well things escalated quickly and swimming is not really a priority now, I don't live too far from the sea but the optics aren't great and wouldn't feel right getting out of car in wetsuit while so many are struggling at this time.

Has anyone any past experience of a prolonged break from swimming in the past ? I am guessing coming back from this a stronger swimmer is impossible but to what degree do we lose all swim technique? What is the best exercise to do to mimic the swim stroke or should we even bother trying to mimic the swim stroke?

Myself what I have been doing is terraband workouts , on the easiest resistance I lie down on a bench and do 5 sets of 5 mins pulling and focusing on keeping a high elbow.
    I then do 5 sets of 10 pull ups / 20 press ups / 10 hanging leg raises / 30 lat pull downs ( using a terraband tethered to pull up bar )

I am alternating a day of running for an hour with a day of biking for an hour. Mostly easy aerobic type stuff .

Hope your all keeping healthy, if anyone wants to comment on some good land based pool exercises please do !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭griffin100

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Well things escalated quickly and swimming is not really a priority now, I don't live too far from the sea but the optics aren't great and wouldn't feel right getting out of car in wetsuit while so many are struggling at this time.

Has anyone any past experience of a prolonged break from swimming in the past ? I am guessing coming back from this a stronger swimmer is impossible but to what degree do we lose all swim technique? What is the best exercise to do to mimic the swim stroke or should we even bother trying to mimic the swim stroke?

Myself what I have been doing is terraband workouts , on the easiest resistance I lie down on a bench and do 5 sets of 5 mins pulling and focusing on keeping a high elbow.
    I then do 5 sets of 10 pull ups / 20 press ups / 10 hanging leg raises / 30 lat pull downs ( using a terraband tethered to pull up bar )

I am alternating a day of running for an hour with a day of biking for an hour. Mostly easy aerobic type stuff .

Hope your all keeping healthy, if anyone wants to comment on some good land based pool exercises please do !

My worst ever swimming injury kept me out of the pool for months (torn rotator cuff tendon). You will get back to where you were, but it will take a few weeks.

What I tend to do when I can't swim is watch videos and when I'm running or watching TV mimic catch and pull actions paying attention to hand shape and elbow position (this would look weird if I didn't live in a house full of swimmers).

Work on your shoulder flexibility and in particular your ankle flexibility - will all help when you start back again (Swim Ireland vis their website and social media have some good links to home exercises).

When pools do open (and it may be some time yet), things are going to be very different under social distancing rules. Swim Ireland (and most other European bodies) are still to produce guidelines for lane swimmers, but I thought this one from SwimUSA was pretty interesting. Among other things- markers on lane ropes every 2m, no use of showers/lockers (arrive and leave in swimsuit), and some useful diagrams for sharing lane patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

When pools do open (and it may be some time yet), things are going to be very different under social distancing rules. Swim Ireland (and most other European bodies) are still to produce guidelines for lane swimmers, but I thought this one from SwimUSA was pretty interesting. Among other things- markers on lane ropes every 2m, no use of showers/lockers (arrive and leave in swimsuit), and some useful diagrams for sharing lane patterns.

Very interesting. Funnily enough, I was thinking last night that the only option for the coaching sessions at my local pool (6-lane, 25 metres) would be the opposite ends one with max of 12 swimmers (ie, the first image in that SwimUSA report). I don’t see how any of the others would work without some swimmers being closer that 1-2 metres from each other at one of the ends. Problem is that a typical coaching session at my pool would normally be attended by at least 30 swimmers (approx 5 per lane as a minimum) so they will need to have more sessions to accommodate everyone (which may or may not be possible)

The Dutch are opening on Monday.
    https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/pools-to-reopen-in-the-netherlands-on-monday-11-may-with-strict-protocols-observed/
    July 20th for us with some of the same restrictions I expect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Luckily there's a large lake within 5k of me and I hope to start swimming from this week

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Luckily there's a large lake within 5k of me and I hope to start swimming from this week

Is that a public amenity or a off the beaten track lake? Just wondering as i thought open water swimming was still not allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

cuculainn wrote: »
    Is that a public amenity or a off the beaten track lake? Just wondering as i thought open water swimming was still not allowed?

It is allowed if you adhere to social distancing
    And the 5 k rule . Swim with max 4 people and should be the same people as per suggestion.

cuculainn wrote: »
    Swimming on lakes was never prohibited

It's a lake, with water. With a car park beside it. I cycle down, and go for a dip.
    Except when there are horses there. Like today.

Swimming on lakes was never prohibited

It's a lake, with water. With a car park beside it. I cycle down, and go for a dip.
    Except when there are
    there. Like today.

Were they washing their horses? Nothing like trying to swim when the water and slipway are full of horse manure.

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    Were they washing their horses? Nothing like trying to swim when the water and slipway are full of horse manure.

No. There's no slipway. they were just trying to fish and hanging about shouting stuff I couldn't understand.
    No 5k limit for those lads

So you think a triathlon start has you in cleaner water .....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Mod Note: i'm sure it'll be seen as nannying, fair enough, criticise away, but it should be obvious certain terms aren't going to be allowed. i've edited the posts above. if you want to discuss feel free to PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

peter kern wrote: »
    So you think a triathlon start has you in cleaner water .....

Hands up who takes a piss while waiting for the whistle....

BTH wrote: »
    Hands up who takes a piss while waiting for the whistle....

Thirteen seasons of triathlon and I’m still trying to decide if it’s acceptable to pee in your wetsuit before you get into the water

Jacuzzis, steam rooms and swimming pools are “a thing of the past” in Ben Dunne’s network of gyms as a result of Covid-19

Unfortunately I think a lot of pools will remain shut for some time- most rely on gym income to balance the books. Even if gyms do open in August, the social distancing requirements in gyms and pools will limit numbers of paying customers.

Jacuzzis, steam rooms and swimming pools are “a thing of the past” in Ben Dunne’s network of gyms as a result of Covid-19

Unfortunately I think a lot of pools will remain shut for some time- most rely on gym income to balance the books. Even if gyms do open in August, the social distancing requirements in gyms and pools will limit numbers of paying

Meanwhiile in germany gyms have opened in Italy open on the 25th of may...
    So while there is some truth in this article it's not that much based on current reality in europe. Like everything else precautions will have to be taken and it will not be easy but from what I have read so far from tests in Korea with solid social distancing gyms work well and yes treadmill running and Zumba classes etc need extra precautions.
    Ie some test have shown an increased spread in Korea from Zumba classes vs plates class which led to more social distancing precaution in such classes .

Unfortunately I think a lot of pools will remain shut for some time- most rely on gym income to balance the books. Even if gyms do open in August, the social distancing requirements in gyms and pools will limit numbers of paying

Meanwhiile in germany gyms have opened in Italy open on the 25th of may...
    So while there is some truth in this article it's not that much based on current reality in europe. Like everything else precautions will have to be taken and it will not be easy but from what I have read so far from tests in Korea with solid social distancing gyms work well and yes treadmill running and Zumba classes etc need extra precautions.
    Ie some test have shown an increased spread in Korea from Zumba classes vs plates class which led to more social distancing precaution in such classes .

Speaking to researchers in the field earlier this week there is some real concern about the potential for spread when breathing is deep and fast. Choirs seem to have been a real hotbed of rapid spread. There is also still some concern about aerosolisation as a means of transmission as opposed to droplet spread. There is some research going on at the moment in institutions where there have been clusters to see if the virus can be detected when there is no droplet dispersal (i.e. after an infected person has left the room).

If hard fast breathing is an issue then some close contact sports (rugby, boxing, etc) will struggle to get back fully just yet.

I think gyms will be ok, hygiene and distancing will see to that. Jacuzzi's were manky to begin with anyway :)

Pools are going to be a challenge. Operating a pool when its just a leisure set up with no lanes is doable, but lane training for squads is going to be difficult. Some guidance issued internationally to date (and the German guidance is good) talks of much lower numbers in a training session and a one way system in lanes with swimmers switching lanes at the wall with 2-3m between swimmers. That means a 6 lane pool essentially becomes a 3 lane pool. That could double the session cost per swimmer and that makes some club sessions not financially viable.

Speaking to researchers in the field earlier this week there is some real concern about the potential for spread when breathing is deep and fast. Choirs seem to have been a real hotbed of rapid spread. There is also still some concern about aerosolisation as a means of transmission as opposed to droplet spread. There is some research going on at the moment in institutions where there have been clusters to see if the virus can be detected when there is no droplet dispersal (i.e. after an infected person has left the room).

If hard fast breathing is an issue then some close contact sports (rugby, boxing, etc) will struggle to get back fully just yet.

I think gyms will be ok, hygiene and distancing will see to that. Jacuzzi's were manky to begin with anyway :)

Pools are going to be a challenge. Operating a pool when its just a leisure set up with no lanes is doable, but lane training for squads is going to be difficult. Some guidance issued internationally to date (and the German guidance is good) talks of much lower numbers in a training session and a one way system in lanes with swimmers switching lanes at the wall with 2-3m between swimmers. That means a 6 lane pool essentially becomes a 3 lane pool. That could double the session cost per swimmer and that makes some club sessions not financially viable.

• Advertisement

Swim Ireland had a webinar this evening for swim club committees (couldn't view it myself, and its focus was on kids clubs) but some key points are this is uncharted territory and things will change depending on how first phases go. Social distancing within lanes is the main thing, and no changing rooms will be open. Less swimmers per lane (and less still for younger swimmers who might not understand social distancing), and clubs will need to appoint a Covid officer.

Not a lot there that is Tri/Masters specific, but you can read between the lines and see that whatever we had before in swim training is likely to get a lot more restrictive.

Advertisement