Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waiting for news....

• 13-01-2020 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭

An hour ago my dog got hit by a car. He is currently at the vets being examined, but I’m not feeling too hopeful :(

Bailey is only 15 months old and we got him from a rescue last March after our previous 16 year old rescue passed on. He is such a character, and such a presence around our home.

I know already his front leg is badly damaged, I’m just praying it’s not worse than that and he can make a good recovery. Sitting waiting for news is torturous, I’m only thankful that I had the kids dropped off to school before the incident happened, and I should know of his fate one way or another before I collect them again.

I was only putting out the bins and securing them from this storm when he crossed the road into the field. He darted back just in front of a car and got completely run over. The car driver didn’t even stopped, slowed and obviously looked in the mirror, then took off again.

I’m in bits here now, just waiting for the phone call.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Fingers crossed for you. One of mine was run over at about the same age. Bolted from the house onto the road and a car drove over him, hit by both front and back wheel. Amazingly had no injuries. Screamed all the way to the vets. Following day was back to normal, just a bit tender. And within a week it was as if it never happened.

Hopefully this will be the case for Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

Just off the phone with the vet, and as I expected, the front leg is badly broken ( spiral fracture) and will need surgery, too high up for a splint or cast., but other than that he seems ok.
    No other fractures, organs seem ok and his breathing and colour are coming back to normal.
    He’s sedated now, vet said they wait 24/48 hrs before doing the surgery to let Bailey get over the shock of it all.
    He’s well cut up and bruised also.

I don’t think the driver could have avoided Bailey, as it was a last minute bolt in front of him. I am thankful no person was injured, but I’m annoyed the driver never even got out to check on the dog or try to help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh thank god OP :( nothing worse than waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Sorry to hear your dog was injured and I’m glad you’ve heard he will be ok over all. I can only hope the driver thought the dog was ok as it would be awful to think that they would drive off on you after hitting your dog. It sounds like they didn’t have time to stop and one of those unfortunate accidents if he just bolted out.

Thankfully your kids are in school and none the wiser at the moment. Also thankfully no one was injured or hurt chasing him or trying to catch him when he darted across the road as sometimes people don’t look for traffic in a panic when trying to catch something. I say you got an awful fright and are probably very shook up. must have been awful for you to see that happening to your dog and

What type of dog is Bailey? It sounds like he is in good hands in the vets

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear your dog was injured and I’m glad you’ve heard he will be ok over all. I can only hope the driver thought the dog was ok as it would be awful to think that they would drive off on you after hitting your dog. It sounds like they didn’t have time to stop and one of those unfortunate accidents if he just bolted out.

Thankfully your kids are in school and none the wiser at the moment. Also thankfully no one was injured or hurt chasing him or trying to catch him when he darted across the road as sometimes people don’t look for traffic in a panic when trying to catch something. I say you got an awful fright and are probably very shook up. must have been awful for you to see that happening to your dog and

What type of dog is Bailey? It sounds like he is in good hands in the vets

Bailey is a springer-setter cross from what we can make out!
    I’ve been to see him again this evening and he’s a bit better, at least he lifted up the head and tried to get out to me.

Hopefully he’ll be able for the surgery tomorrow evening, and then the long road to recovery can begin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

Been thinking about Bailey all afternoon so I thought I’d ask how he’s doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

my heart went cold when I read your post and then read that the driver saw yet drove off -what an absolute subhuman. Dogs and in particular springers and mad young puppies are so hard to keep an eye on every second and it can only take a miment for something terrible like this to happen. bin day - maybe a whiff of steak in the wind or the flutter of a tasty wrapper - it can happen so fast and be something we as humans wouldnt even recognise as interesting or be able to smell. :( Thinking of you both and hoping the surgery has gone well. for Bailey. Get your vet to perscribe lots of painkiller sand zonking medication before you go . My poor dog had to have total leg rest but luckily was crate tained. If you’re not in Dublin you can probably order a huge one from one of the pet shops or argos -if you don’t Lready have one. it might save his leg a bit and with a nice duvet and door open and favourite toys in it stop him forgetting and lepping off the couch or after the postman...
    thinking of you all & wishing your poor Bailey a speedy and pain free recovery.

Hi guys,
    Thanks for thinking of Bailey.,I spoke with the vet at lunchtime and they told me that Bailey was in much better form today, he was able to hobble out on three legs to go to the toilet.
    They seem confident that there is no nerve damage to the broken leg, and were hoping to do the surgery this evening. I haven’t heard from them yet, but as it’s now 7.30, I wouldn’t think it was done. Will call them first thing in the morning to see what the story is.
    I’ve attached a pic of Bailey looking very sorry for himself yesterday evening when I called to visit him at the vet.
    I’ll update further tomorrow.

Aw God - his poor nose and he’s got a black eye too :( He’s georgous - how couod anyone do a hit and run on him :(

Get well soon Bailey.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oh wow, what a very handsome fella, despite looking like he's been in the wars :o
    How's he doing today op?
    Just be aware that aside from the broken leg, he's going to be bruised pretty much all over his body, so once the leg is pinned up, the bruising is likely to be causing him the worst discomfort once you get him home... so just mind him when handling or moving him, or if kids are minding him.
    He will also need to learn how to manoeuvre himself around with his leg pinned, or there may be an ex-fix cage around his leg which is really bulky.... so things like squatting to pee and poop can be awkward for a while until he learns how to manoeuvre his new self.
    Really hoping all is well with him now op :o

• Advertisement

So Bailey is home!

The surgery went well, the plate will be in permanently. He’s a bit zonked with meds at the moment but he was so happy to see us coming to collect him.

It’ll be TLC for the next month or so, I have a feeling the first two weeks will be the hardest until the stitches are removed, but he will be under very close supervision and immobilised until he is back to himself.

The vets are confident he will make a full recovery, and hopefully his coat re-grows fully again. The face is already healing well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That is good news; thank you .Hard work ahead as you have said. But limited and he will heal.
    ratracer wrote: »
    So Bailey is home!

The surgery went well, the plate will be in permanently. He’s a bit zonked with meds at the moment but he was so happy to see us coming to collect him.

It’ll be TLC for the next month or so, I have a feeling the first two weeks will be the hardest until the stitches are removed, but he will be under very close supervision and immobilised until he is back to himself.

The vets are confident he will make a full recovery, and hopefully his coat re-grows fully again. The face is already healing well I think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Awww great news op.... he is just lovely. Speedy recovery young Bailey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Once you get through the first few days and into a routine it’ll fly by. And your heart will stop the first walk on and off lead lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Delighted to read this update op. I was scared to check. The poor little dot with the lampshade on him. He's gorgeous!

How is poor Bailey doing?

Hey JAT,

Bailey is doing ok, thanks. After the surgery he was obviously still a bit out of it, but yesterday and today he’s certainly gotten his appetite back. He doesn’t seem to mind too much being confined, it’s the humans in the house who are finding it harder to cope with imprisoning him.

I changed the Elizabethan collar for a donut type one, which is much more comfortable for him. He cannot her near the stitches but can eat and drink easily. His cuts and bruises seem to have healed very well. The Accident will be a week tomorrow, we already miss walking him, but by end of Feb we should be getting back to normal.
    Will update here during his recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

The poor pup :( Hopefully his youth will help his immediate healing be fast, and his longterm recovery be as good as possible :)

And the recovery goes on!!

It’s now 16 days since Bailey was run over and 14 days post surgery. He had his stitches out yesterday and is very much back to his own personality. It’s been a tough two weeks keeping him cooped up, only out for toilet breaks.

Vet was happy with his progress yesterday, and for the next two weeks he can now have controlled lead walks on flat ground for around 10mins at a time, it several times a day, which is great. He will be left with unique markings on his nose and over his eye I would think.

Gorgeous! Delighted for both of you.

• Advertisement

How is he this week!? Eaten a hole in the fridge yet!?!!’ : )

How is he this week!? Eaten a hole in the fridge yet!?!!’ : )

Into week 3 post accident now and it’s been going very well. This past week had been much easier to manage since the stitches are no longer a worry. Being able to take Bailey for short on-lead walks this week is at least beginning to feel like having a little normality back.
    He is definitely getting stronger walking, but now I need to make sure the family still stick to his recovery plan and not think all is fine when there is still a good while to go yet.

Kicking into weeks 4/5 now of Bailey’s recovery. It’s great to have him outside, he has developed a huge fear of the road though. Any time I take him out the gate he is literally hugging the wall until we get to the fields. He is good though and getting stronger.

...he has developed a huge fear of the road though. Any time I take him out the gate he is literally hugging the wall...

Poor fellow! Glad he’s making a good recovery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Kicking into weeks 4/5 now of Bailey’s recovery. It’s great to have him outside, he has developed a huge fear of the road though. Any time I take him out the gate he is literally hugging the wall until we get to the fields. He is good though and getting stronger.

Bailey is a gorgeous dog ❤️
    Delighted he made a full recovery. Can't believe the driver didn't stop though!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Been following your crisis and was so annoyed that the driver didnt stop where is the empathy nowadays. its great that he is scared of the road now a tough lesson but a lesson he has learned. my dog chased another dog and got torn on barbed wire he also never goes near wire now. Dogs never forget pain so he will be cautious but you still have to watch him. I hope he lives a long healthy accident free life well done for repairing him and nursing him - some people wouldnt !

Bailey was back at the vet yesterday for a check up, and the vet was delighted with the recovery so far. In time, Bailey will make a full recovery. I’m delighted he is now allowed short spells off the lead in the garden, and longer walks on the lead. He seems happy our also, as can be seen.

Thanks for all the supportive comments over this time, it was a dreadful thing to witness at the time, I’m just thrilled my dog is getting back to himself!!

Advertisement