Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

• 01-12-2019 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

As the 2019 season has now ended,why not start a new thread. Ocon heads to Renault tomorrow, December 2nd for the end of season test.

MOD Notes: Any talk of politics or anything that isn't directly F1 related will result in an instant 24hr ban.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,938 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

2020 Entry List
    Mercedes
    44. Lewis Hamilton
    77. Valtteri Bottas
    Ferrari
    5. Sebastian Vettel
    16. Charles Leclerc
    Red Bull
    23. Alexander Albon
    33. Max Verstappen
    Renault
    3. Daniel Ricciardo
    31. Esteban Ocon
    Haas
    8. Romain Grosjean
    20. Kevin Magnussen
    McLaren
    4. Lando Norris
    55. Carlos Sainz Jnr
    Racing Point
    11. Sergio Perez
    18. Lance Stroll
    Alfa Romeo
    7. Kimi Raikkonen
    99. Antonio Giovinazzi
    Alpha Tauri
    10. Pierre Gasly
    26. Daniil Kvyat
    Williams
    63. George Russell
    TBA Nicholas Latifi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Anyone getting sick of the Alonso and talk about him returning? He said he's open to returning in 2021 but also wants to do the Indy 500. The Indy 500 run shows a lot of arrogance if he thinks he can just turn up for one round and win it. At least McLaren have seen sense and now know that it will take more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

recyclebin wrote: »
    Anyone getting sick of the Alonso and talk about him returning? He said he's open to returning in 2021 but also wants to do the Indy 500. The Indy 500 run shows a lot of arrogance if he thinks he can just turn up for one round and win it. At least McLaren have seen sense and now know that it will take more than that.

He wants a top car, he’s 38, no top team will take him, in Christian Horner’s word because everywhere he goes he causes chaos. And who would want Alonso if Russell,Norris,LeClerc,Verstappen were also part of the queue. Kubica has a better chance of both an F1 return and one in a top team than Alonso does. Secretly I bet he regrets putting the gun to Ron Dennis’ head as when Rosberg retired Mercedes said he (Alonso) cost them $40m in 2007 and they haven’t forgotten that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

recyclebin wrote: »

Yes. Alonso is out. He's not coming back because the top teams don’t want him as he’s poison to the team and he’s well past his peak. He’d return for a year or 2, tear the team to sunders and leave. The end

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

He wants a top car, he’s 38, no top team will take him, in Christian Horner’s word because everywhere he goes he causes chaos.

This is Fernando's issue, rather than age or anything else. He was OK at Renault because there was an even stronger "personality" (read: thundering arsehole) in the person of Flavio Briatore to keep him in check.

The Indy 500 lesson should be learnt by this time - you don't just "show up and win" as a "superior F1 driver / team". Last season he and McLaren failed to even qualify; His only real chance is to join a team like Andretti or Penske. And do a bloody full season in Indycar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

He wants a top car, he’s 38, no top team will take him, in Christian Horner’s word because everywhere he goes he causes chaos. And who would want Alonso if Russell,Norris,LeClerc,Verstappen were also part of the queue. Kubica has a better chance of both an F1 return and one in a top team than Alonso does. Secretly I bet he regrets putting the gun to Ron Dennis’ head as when Rosberg retired Mercedes said he (Alonso) cost them $40m in 2007 and they haven’t forgotten that.

Do you not mean Mclaren as Mercedes only supplied engines back then? I wonder if Alonso gave then $40m would they change there mind somehow I think not. I think it was more than just money. I think it was the it was damage to there brand and image that Alonso done that hurt more.

Alonso had his change and made his choices sometimes I think without thinking of the long term consequences of them. He could have easily been a 5 or 6 time WDC but he is only a 2 time WDC because of his choices and has to live with that.

The only way I can ever see him back in F1 is if he either starts his own team or he convinces a friend or company to start an F1 team with him as a shareholder in it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Do you not mean Mclaren as Mercedes only supplied engines back then? I wonder if Alonso gave then $40m would they change there mind somehow I think not. I think it was more than just money. I think it was the it was damage to there brand and image that Alonso done that hurt more.

Alonso had his change and made his choices sometimes I think without thinking of the long term consequences of them. He could have easily been a 5 or 6 time WDC but he is only a 2 time WDC because of his choices and has to live with that.

The only way I can ever see him back in F1 is if he either starts his own team or gets a convinces a friend or company to join with him as a shareholder in it.

Mercedes owned a 40% stake in McLaren at the time. He damaged the brand but none more so than himself in the long run.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

There are only 2 chances of that happening. Either he starts his own team or he joins FE.

Roy Nissany Williams
    Sean Gelael Toro Rosso
    George Russell Mercedes
    Pietro Fittipaldi Haas

Will be the test drivers running at the Abu Dhabi test session.

Hamilton, Ricciardo and Magnussen arent attending the test.

Ocon (Renault) will run both days alone as will Nissany do both days but he is splitting it as two half days with Russell (Tuesday) and Latifi (Wednesday) running the other half of each day for Williams. Russell gets a full day in the Mercedes on Wednesday (instead of Hamilton) Bottas running all day Tuesday. Gelael is doing a half day shared with Kvyat for Tuesday before Gasly does all day Wednesday. Fittipaldi is a straight swap with Magnussen on Wednesday with Grosjean doing all day Tuesday.

All other 2020 race drivers are present and will run one day each.

https://www.crash.net/f1/results/935042/1/f1-abu-dhabi-postseason-test-day-1-results

Results of testing day 1.

Most interesting thing might be a bloke from Indonesia named Sean, driving the Toro Rosso.

• Advertisement

https://www.crash.net/f1/results/935042/1/f1-abu-dhabi-postseason-test-day-1-results

Results of testing day 1.

Most interesting thing might be a bloke from Indonesia named Sean, driving the Toro Rosso.

His dad runs KFC in Indonesia so has been buying his son that Toro Rosso seat since 2017. Red Bull needed a rookie driver and with their academy kinda empty of properly licensed drivers Gelaels been filling in.

They also ran KFC logos in America last year (or 2017) when they gave Gelael the FP1 aswell iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭chicorytip

pjohnson wrote: »
    His dad runs KFC in Indonesia so has been buying his son that Toro Rosso seat since 2017. Red Bull needed a rookie driver and with their academy kinda empty of properly licensed drivers Gelaels been filling in.

They also ran KFC logos in America last year (or 2017) when they gave Gelael the FP1 aswell iirc
    So, his da runs Kentucky Fried Chicken in Indonesia. He must be well up the pecking order in that case!! 😊
    Sorry, I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Rumours about Racing Point possibly being rebranded as Aston Martin, dependent on Lawrence Stroll buying into Aston. Obviously unsubstantiated, but one to watch

https://www.racefans.net/2019/12/05/aston-martin-racing-point-f1/

skipper_G wrote: »
    Rumours about Racing Point possibly being rebranded as Aston Martin, dependent on Lawrence Stroll buying into Aston. Obviously unsubstantiated, but one to watch

https://www.racefans.net/2019/12/05/aston-martin-racing-point-f1/

Red Bull would be the big losers there due to the sponsorship. The one issue with the team is the driver lineup. Baby Stroll is being outclassed by Perez in a team which is essentially built for him by virtue of Daddy Stroll. Fine, the boy got 4th in Germany, but look at how that race went. I'd welcome Aston Martin as a full fledged F1 team, but clearly the pink will go if the deal goes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Now there's no more disabled drivers in F1, Stroll goes back to being the worst on the grid. It still baffles me how some people can argue he deserves his place on merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Now there's no more disabled drivers in F1, Stroll goes back to being the worst on the grid. It still baffles me how some people can argue he deserves his place on merit.

Harsh, very harsh on Kubica who would probably own you on a racetrack no matter what he drives.
    I'm not Strolls biggest fan either but the statistics will show that he's had twice as many podium finishes as Hulkenburg in half as many races.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

flazio wrote: »
    Harsh, very harsh on Kubica who would probably own you on a racetrack no matter what he drives

Couldn't agree more, that was a ****ty thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Harsh, very harsh on Kubica who would probably own you on a racetrack no matter what he drives.
    I'm not Strolls biggest fan either but the statistics will show that he's had twice as many podium finishes as Hulkenburg in half as many races.

Only "Probably?" :D:D:D:D

Technically, Stroll has enjoyed UNDETERMINED times the podiums Hulkenberg did, as it would be a division by 0...

Fact is, Stroll remains a mystery: underperforming most of the times, then the conditions become harsh and other drivers start putting it in the wall, he comes up the front. He was 2nd on the grid in the deluge in Monza, nearly collected another podium in Hockenheim in changing conditions. The sheer skills are there, but for some reason he doesn't make use of them when it should be easiest to do so.

Stroll's racing is actually good, and he seemed to really get to grips (pardon the pun) with the tyres very quickly and often did very long stints on a set to try and overcut other drivers. Stroll on Sundays is actually a fairly good driver. His qualifying however is absolutely horrendous. He is like a modern reverse version of Jarno Trulli.

Inviere wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, that was a ****ty thing to say.

But ultimately true. Now that Kubica’s gone, Stroll will almost certainly be the slowest driver again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

But ultimately true. Now that Kubica’s gone, Stroll will almost certainly be the slowest driver again.

It's still going to be Russell and Latifi in my opinion, Grosjean won't be that far ahead.

I thought the 2020 thread may have moved on from "KUBICA SLOWEST F1 DRIVER EVARRRRR MKAAAY"

But clearly not.

It's still going to be Russell and Latifi in my opinion, Grosjean won't be that far ahead.

Ah yes if you’re considering the car. Like Alonso/button were the slowest drivers a few years ago.

I was just thinking about the driver rather than driver-car combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Just to be clear, that was no way intended to be a dig at Kubica. I was one of the people rooting for his comeback and am happy he got the chance to test himself in F1 again and he can be proud of what he acheived. The fact remains though that he has a physical disability and as it transpires, it seems to have prevented him from racing at the limit of his capabilities.

Kubica scored Williams' only points this season. Does that make him better than Russell? No, of course not. Just like Stroll having scored a podium doesn't make him better than Hulkenberg. Hulk was on a par with Perez. Stroll has gotten his arse kicked by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

Just to be clear, that was no way intended to be a dig at Kubica.

Well then it was a very poor choice of words on your part. The term disabled, means not able to do something. He clearly can still race and drive an F1 car...just because he's not at his very best any more hardly means he's disabled. I'd say he has an impairment, that perhaps hampers his potential, but being out of an F1 car for almost a decade was probably a far bigger impairment for Robert. He'd still demolish the vast majority of fans on a track, so you'd have to wonder who's more disabled, him or us...

Inviere wrote: »
    Well then it was a very poor choice of words on your part. The term disabled, means not able to do something. He clearly can still race and drive an F1 car...just because he's not at his very best any more hardly means he's disabled. I'd say he has an impairment, that perhaps hampers his potential, but being out of an F1 car for almost a decade was probably a far bigger impairment for Robert. He'd still demolish the vast majority of fans on a track, so you'd have to wonder who's more disabled, him or us...

Ugh yawn. I'm so sick of this palaver every time someone criticised Kubica. Yes he was great to come back after his injury, hes a great guy, has a massive knob, gives his Mrs an orgasm with every pump, his farts smell like rose oil, he's basically a world champion as he would have won WDCs while he was out or the sport. He probably would have won about 10 WDCs in the 8 years he was out - now the honest part.

He was in the top 3 slowest drivers on the grid this year, all year. Had the worst quali record against his teammate and failed to beat his teammate even once in quali all year. Had the biggest overall gap to his teammate in both quali and Races. He was a pay driver this year. If he didn't bring big oil money he wouldn't have been within an ass's roar of an f1 seat on merit.

Disabled, Impared, handicapable or just not good enough for f1, whatever you want to call it. What happened is clear. He came back and was beaten black and blue by his teammate - A ROOKIE!.That's the salient thing. He's gone and we do t have to have these discussions where we have to list 10 ways he's amazing before we get down to the truth that he's not fast enough for f1 for whatever reason.

We're all making the excuse that his arm is holding him back. Maybe it isn't an issue and he's just that far off the pace. Either way, it doesn't really matter anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

The hilarious thing is how a post about Racing Point and Aston Martin turned into yet another Kubica debate. Speaking of which, a follow up on the original article

https://www.racefans.net/2019/12/06/analysis-what-a-racing-point-aston-martin-deal-would-mean-for-them-f1-and-red-bull/

skipper_G wrote: »
    The hilarious thing is how a post about Racing Point and Aston Martin turned into yet another Kubica debate. Speaking of which, a follow up on the original article

https://www.racefans.net/2019/12/06/analysis-what-a-racing-point-aston-martin-deal-would-mean-for-them-f1-and-red-bull/

And Kubica isn't even on the 2020 grid. El Duderino just has a major fetish a this point. Not suprised they just mentioned orgasms in their latest Kubica rant.

pjohnson wrote: »
    And Kubica isn't even on the 2020 grid. El Duderino just has a major fetish a this point. Not suprised they just mentioned orgasms in their latest Kubica rant.

The way people preyed he's still a good driver is a bit sad TBH. When people say stroll is shyte, nobody says "Yeah well, stroll would beat you in a race, so, whose shyte".

Without sugar coating it, Kubica was shyte this year. And he's been dumped off the grid because he's not fast enough. And luckily well never have to debate this again because he ain't coming back - that much is for sure. The end.

• Advertisement

And luckily well never have to debate this again because he ain't coming back - that much is for sure. The end.

It appears he has signed his own F1 exit if this is true, as Perez has a 3 year deal and well, he won't get Baby Stroll's seat. @Skipper_G what do you make of this being a Racing Point supporter?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/kubica-leaning-towards-racing-point-deal/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement