Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Lady Haywire's were newts.

Are you describing a lizard? Cos they're two different species.

I really don't know which one I saw yesterday. It's body was submerged, the head above water. I didn't think it would manage to get out from the bottom of a plastic mineral bucket.

Of the two sightings in the past, I photographed both, each a different colour, They were identified as lizards, that live in dry stone walls. They were identified by the number of toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

We just like to lick people.

#metoo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Odelay wrote: »
    Lovely Leitrim Lickers. Must call up.

How badly do I need to be burnt?

Apparently any burn. my grandfather had the same cure & every so often someone would appear for him to perform the cure. Outdated codswallop but still, I find these piseogs very interesting :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Seems "what3words" is the new essential app for your smartphone.

Basically it assigns 3 words to every 3 x 3m grid square in the world.
    So say your front gate could now be "dog, murder, pineapple" or the top of Mount Leinster could be " pizza, fork, mouse".
    So then if you need the emergency services or just Paul to fix the ballcock. You just tell them "what3words" and they'll know that exact spot by looking at their phone. Instead of messing around with coordinates numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's one prescise locator, another in Ireland is Loc8. Two big problems with Eircode are, it only applies to houses and also if you make an error in any of the last 4 digits numbers you may not be near where you want to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Seems "what3words" is the new essential app for your smartphone.

Basically it assigns 3 words to every 3 x 3m grid square in the world.
    So say your front gate could now be "dog, murder, pineapple" or the top of Mount Leinster could be " pizza, fork, mouse".
    So then if you need the emergency services or just Paul to fix the ballcock. You just tell them "what3words" and they'll know that exact spot by looking at their phone. Instead of messing around with coordinates numbers.

What about the language barrier?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭emaherx

Muckit wrote: »
    What about the language barrier?

Hopefully emergency services here speak English :D

Water John wrote: »
    That's one prescise locator, another in Ireland is Loc8. Two big problems with Eircode are, it only applies to houses and also if you make an error in any of the last 4 digits numbers you may not be near where you want to be.

To be fair to Eircode it works well (in the vast majority of cases) for what it is, a postcode. I can imagine the up roar if Eircode used the these 3 words grid when some poor git gets Knob,end,here as a location.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A neighbour that had a clearance sale of suckers a month ago now has most of his land sprayed off for reseeding in anticipation of dairying.
    Another one has seen the light

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A postcode that An Post don't use???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I ended up in Gortalea Mart last night. Well it lived up to it's reputation, small friendly mart. Pity it's so far, nearly 2 hours drive with delays along the way.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Base price

wrangler wrote: »
    A neighbour that had a clearance sale of suckers a month ago now has most of his land sprayed off for reseeding in anticipation of dairying.
    A near neighbour bought 37 acres adjoining him a few months ago for €11,400/acre and is going dairying. He has to build a parlour etc. Fair play to him but I wonder will milk price be able to pay back these investments going forward.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Base price wrote: »
    A near neighbour bought 37 acres adjoining him a few months ago for €11,400/acre and is going dairying. He has to build a parlour etc. Fair play to him but I wonder will milk price be able to pay back these investments going forward.

This country will be flowing with milk (and honey:() yet. Was chatting to a lad in a trailer last week from Kildare and there's 14 around him going milking next year. There's another 2 in our DG starting next year as well.

The times they are a changin.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    This country will be flowing with milk (and honey:() yet. Was chatting to a lad in a trailer last week from Kildare and there's 14 around him going milking next year. There's another 2 in our DG starting next year as well.

As we dairy farmers say ..."Welcome to Hell".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

blue5000 wrote: »

When everyone is going one way is it best to go the opposite direction?

On the eircodes , got badly stung last year when a foreign vet didnt understand my accent and ended up 10 miles away. Was a calving. Lost cow and calf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »
    When everyone is going one way is it best to go the opposite direction?

Says she who is charging ahead into more milk production

Says she who is charging ahead into more milk production

Not really . 150 cows last year 165 this year. 200 would be my max. When young lsd comes home. Heavy land I know my limits.No point killing yourself to be bigger than the neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I ended up in Gortalea Mart last night. Well it lived up to it's reputation, small friendly mart. Pity it's so far, nearly 2 hours drive with delays along the way.

Your as bad as myself driving around the country...in the last 2 weeks I have been in gort twice, maam cross twice, elphin and ennis....need to find a new hobby.

On the eircodes , got badly stung last year when a foreign vet didnt understand my accent and ended up 10 miles away. Was a calving. Lost cow and calf

Pure balls.
    Our house is new so while we have an eircode- we are stil not on maps- give the mothers And tell them to stop at new build before it. I always text the code also as a back up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Your as bad as myself driving around the country...in the last 2 weeks I have been in gort twice, maam cross twice, elphin and ennis....need to find a new hobby.

If you're not careful, you'll end up dealing. ;)

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Should use phonetic alphabet on the phone. I spend a lot of time speaking with international call centers and it's the only way especially when dealing accents.

But the my 3 words app far better for directing people to farm or individual fields. Eircodes are great for couriers. And as for an Post they can use or not use the local postman calls often enough to find my house without.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

If you're not careful, you'll end up dealing. ;)

I can see the headline already "young man forced into cattle dealing due to peer pressure at local livestock marts".....I don't think it will happen :D

emaherx wrote: »
    Should use phonetic alphabet on the phone. I spend a lot of time speaking with international call centers and it's the only way especially when dealing accents.

But the my 3 words app far better for directing people to farm or individual fields. Eircodes are great for couriers. And as for an Post they can use or not use the local postman calls often enough to find my house without.

Topping rushes and two of my words were unfed and rushes. I’d hate to see the size of the rushes if they were fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Hmmmm. Apt :pac:

We should make a thread for best 3words!

Topping rushes and two of my words were unfed and rushes. I’d hate to see the size of the rushes if they were fed.

Maybe it's you who is unfed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭148multi

Well at least it doesn't say anything about licking, especially elderly tramps in the afternoon.

emaherx wrote: »
    Maybe it's you who is unfed?

Not judging by my waistline

In fairness it gets some of them spot on.

Lidl in enniscorthy is..

angry, fatigue, revisiting

This must be how Reggie calls in an airstrike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

In fairness it gets some of them spot on.

Lidl in enniscorthy is..

angry, fatigue, revisiting

This must be how Reggie calls in an airstrike?

I must look up the one in tallaght

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement