Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Conor's done & has been for a long while, the extra weight means he has zero chance of wining a meaningful fight again,

iv said it ages ago he was an undersized man for light weight adding muscle to try his hand at WW will end in tears,

Remember Conor used to say the LW's look stuck in the mud, That's him now ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

1 win in 5 1/2 years. His prime years. He'll be nearly 35 before he fights again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

MMA Talk only..pub comments moved to off-topic.

He should have packed it in after beating cerrone.

He should only come back at 145.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Why pack it in after beating Cerrone?

Why 145?

Curious to know your reasons to both statements.

• Advertisement

How many fights has he won in five years? It's clear that he isn't the fighter he used to be. He's fallen behind the competition because they kept focused on MMA all these years while he split his focus between boxing, MMA, whiskey, etc.

Focused McGregor beat Poirier easily. Poirier knuckles down and improves while McGregor loses focus and then gets KO'd by Poirier years later.

Then he breaks his leg and can't train.

I don't see how he catches up at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

In terms of winnable fights I can't see anything but fights like Diaz 3 or against someone like Dan Hooker. Fan fights with known fighters that'd still sell and he has a good shot at winning.

Notions of him fighting Usman are so comical they couldn't be real. I guess it'd make sense if he solely cares about money and has zero interest in winning but I can't imagine that could be true at this stage either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

His heart isn't in fighting anymore but he has so many business interests they would plummet without his continued dipping his toe into it. If he never fought again, he would disappear into obscurity and his products with it. He's hitting pads in Tom Ford trainers and wearing a top of the range rolex, like who does that? Its all image.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He had a less than one percent chance of beating Mayweather in a boxing bout.

And I'd still give him less chance of beating Usman inside the octagon. With the size difference and Usman's chin, he doesn't even have a puncher's chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Cerrone was the perfect opponent for his return, a big name who was finished.

Even then when it comes to those sort of fights no obvious wins, Nate has been a little more active when it comes to UFC so I fancy him no mater the weight class, Masvidal murders him also.

I know some suggested Tony Ferguson but that ship has sailed with him fighting Chandler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It was on the paper that your boy was going to fight some hooker.

Upon reading further, it actually appears that it was some fella called "Hooker"

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Much like Katie Taylor now. Its hard to walk away at the top because the money gets big

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's even more difficult to walk away at the top when you aren't at the top.

I've been thinking about walking away from the top of heavyweight boxing for quite a while now, but I haven't managed to do it either.

Dan Hooker is not a walk in the park. I mean yeah his return to featherweight was abysmal but against a stand-up guy like McGregor he will have as good a shot as he's ever really had at winning.

He went through a five round war with Porier and almost finished him as well. It would be a good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭US3

Looks like he was offered Benisal Dariush. Good fight I think, a win would put him back in contention to fight one of the top 3

Masvidal does seem like the fight to make. Neither are title challengers, big PPV stars, Conor put on a lot of bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

masvidal is a journey man and never a big ppv star

then again conor has turned into a journey man also

• Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If we think about it logically all his weak points have become weaker & his strong point's have all but gone ,

He will be embarrassed if he fights a top 10 WW,

He had a real chance to be an MMA great if he stayed at 145 , That was his weight class ., like Khabib knew lightweight was his weight and stayed in his lane,

Now of course you can't knock it because in the end of the day its prize fighting and he became the greatest prize fighter MMA has ever seen in regards to making money,

I hope this stays up

Masvidals MMA record

Res.RecordOpponentMethodEventDateRoundTimeLocationNotes35-17Officer BrownArrested (Felony Battery)Steak House 1March 22, 202210:05FloridaMiami, United StatesLoss

He drew 1.2m for his first fight with Usman and the rematch wasn't far off 1m. Who else outside of Conor is hitting those numbers?

• Advertisement

His fight vs Colby fight was bigger than those two aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Masvidal is a big star, and does attract PPVs.

Between him and McGregor, they must of lost 7 of the last 8 fights combined.

The BMF belt was one of the most cringing things Ive ever seen in sport

So Charles called him out. Thats the fight to make. McGregor will be tapping in 2 minutes to him.

Charles is a good striker himself but not as complete a one as the likes of Dustin or Conor, so he does get hit easy and often initially. Obviously in no world would I outright favor McGregor but he would have a decent punchers chance in R1.

The fight actually makes more sense now that Charles isn't champ but I don't want McGregor fighting for the title, that would be ludicrous. If Charles wants his payday, it should just be a headliner, non-title fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Charles could have a Dilemma on his hands, get paid or get a title shot.

Ideally the UFC would like to do both, Charles V Conor, Win Win for Charles, gets his title back and makes more money than ever

I doubt the UFC have topped 500k PPV this year(maybe the past weekend). a Conor V anybody should hit that.

Conor V Charles for the vacant belt, would get 800+ id think

although on the flip side they made 1Billion from April 21 - March 22

So who needs Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Was shocked to see how far down the rankings Conor has dropped. When he fought Poirier last he was competing for 2 or 3, now he is down to 12 or 13.

Should he even be ranked? 0 wins in the LW division since 2016

It makes no sense for McGregor though, risk another loss for a non title fight. Go fight someone at WW, if he loses he just goes back to LW for one more chance. He is crispy well done if he loses again at LW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I’d like to see Conor take on Khabib’s boy Islam. Be interesting to see how he interacts with Khabib. Although I expect if his next fight is LW it will be vs Ferguson, if WW it will be Diaz.

Advertisement