Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tokyo 2020 Qualifying. Athletes to watch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Apparently the marathons and race-walking events will be moved to Sapporo (800km from Tokyo): https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/oct/16/tokyo-olympics-marathon-switched-north-sapporo-cooler-climate-athletics

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

KSU wrote: »
    Gonna need about a 2.12.30-2.12 at the very least looking at the rankings currently

I think that's in him if conditions (Heuston) are favourable. He had some hamstring issues and took a wrong turn last time out.

Hindsight 20/20 and all but he really should have targeted Berlin.

His focus is Tokyo, Doha was an error I think. Berlin would have given him a better stab at Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Lazare wrote: »
    I think that's in him if conditions (Heuston) are favourable. He had some hamstring issues and took a wrong turn last time out.

Sorry I meant that kinda performance in Dublin.as it stands last qualifier Barrios has had two performances in this range

His focus is Tokyo, Doha was an error I think. Berlin would have given him a better stab at Dublin too.

Think he figured top 10 the more viable option in Doha given the conditions and possible drop outs etc than trying to bank auto q on a faster course

Top 25 at worlds also opens a lot of doors in terms of gold label event invites which benefits both financially and opening up options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Think he figured top 10 the more viable option in Doha given the conditions

If he thought this then he’s off his rocker, sorry.

OOnegative wrote: »
    If he thought this then he’s off his rocker, sorry.

What I mean by this is that the unpredictability with extreme conditions cans favour slower runners ala Boston last year etc. The high probability of DNF s with people being too aggressive means higher chance of an auto qualifier than a 2.11 performance especially after missing good chunk of training this year. Leaving it to rankings would mean he needs another big performance so auto q probably needed in his case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

What I mean by this is that the unpredictability with extreme conditions cans favour slower runners ala Boston last year etc. The high probability of DNF s with people being too aggressive means higher chance of an auto qualifier than a 2.11 performance especially after missing good chunk of training this year. Leaving it to rankings would mean he needs another big performance so auto q probably needed in his case

73 men started in Doha, 18 DNF. There wasn’t a chance he was going to make a top 10 that way, regardless of the attritional conditions. I also think he shouldn’t have ran Doha, but who is going to turn down the chance to represent there nation at a WC.

Sorry I meant that kinda performance in Dublin.as it stands last qualifier Barrios has had two performances in this range

Thought I read a 2:14:xx with a NC win was as good as.

Thought I read a 2:14:xx with a NC win was as good as.

Based of current rankings I would say wouldn’t be enough to get him moved up Far enough to be honest and even if it was would be at the mercy of the next 6 months where anyone could push him out of a spot

• Advertisement

73 men started in Doha, 18 DNF. There wasn’t a chance he was going to make a top 10 that way, regardless of the attritional conditions. I also think he shouldn’t have ran Doha, but who is going to turn down the chance to represent there nation at a WC.

In hindsight yes but all talk before Doha was that conditions would be worse even when you look at the women’s over 40% of field DNFed it was probably a calculated risk that didn’t come off.

Realistically it was his best chance I think but ultimately it was gonna be a very outside shot no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

A shout out to the Mens Hockey team in Vancouver for the next 2 weeks. They have to beat Canada twice to qualify for Tokyo over 2 legs

Be good to get there after Rio

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Mens marathon actually had decent conditions. The humidity broke that night after every evening before that being horrific. The temperature was still 29 but it felt sooo much cooler that night than previous nights. The men's winning time compared to the women's winning time and the walk times says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

It's not so easy to turn down an Irish vest to be fair.

He could have skipped Doha and still likely miss Tokyo.

Take the Irish vests as they come I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Chivito550 wrote: »
    It's not so easy to turn down an Irish vest to be fair.

He could have skipped Doha and still likely miss Tokyo.

Take the Irish vests as they come I reckon.

perfect training for dublin ðŸ˜

2:12:01 for Scullion, national champs win and 2nd overall.

Wow. Just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

2:12:01 for Scullion, national champs win and 2nd overall.

Wow. Just wow.

23 year old Hugh Armstring with what must be one of the fastest Irish debuts in 2.14.22. Big future ahead for him. The rise in standard in of Irish men and women in Dublin continues to rise. In the mid noughties a mid 2.23 was enough for 1st Irish man. I was 5th Irish in 05 with a 2.35 top 5 today inside 2.16.Time through all the the categories rising too. Great credit due to Dublin Marathon and Marathon Mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Scullion 5th on the Irish all time list. Clohissey has gone top 10 too

On the women’s side Aoife Cooke is now 5th and Ann Marie Glynn is now 7th on the all time list. With Fionnuala McCormack a few weeks ago, 3 of the top 7 times ever by Irish women within the space of a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

ultrapercy wrote: »
    23 year old Hugh Armstring with what must be one of the fastest Irish debuts in 2.14.22. Big future ahead for him. The rise in standard in of Irish men and women in Dublin continues to rise. In the mid noughties a mid 2.23 was enough for 1st Irish man. I was 5th Irish in 05 with a 2.35 top 5 today inside 2.16.Time through all the the categories rising too. Great credit due to Dublin Marathon and Marathon Mission.

I hear he has a great coach :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Dodge wrote: »
    Scullion 5th on the Irish all time list. Clohissey has gone top 10 too

On the women’s side Aoife Cooke is now 5th and Ann Marie Glynn is now 7th on the all time list. With Fionnuala McCormack a few weeks ago, 3 of the top 7 times ever by Irish women within the space of a month

Vaporflys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Limpy wrote: »
    Vaporflys

Scullion doesn't wear Nike.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

Blacks out his Nikes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I withdraw my comment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

v controversial ending in the Irish Hockey game vs Canada with winner qualifying for the Olympics. Going to penalties now but Irish team had thought they'd won it in normal time only for a review after the final whistle for a foul.

v controversial ending in the Irish Hockey game vs Canada. Going to penalties now but Irish team had thought they'd won it in normal time only for a review after the final whistle for a foul.

Ireland were 3-1 up in the shoot out after 3 each but finished 3-3 after 5 penalties each so now its sudden death...

Ireland were 3-1 up in the shoot out after 3 each but finished 3-3 after 5 penalties each so now its sudden death...

Canada win 4-3 so they qualify for the Olympics and the Irish team are out. The Irish team won't be happy with the ref and his team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭blackcard

Canada win 4-3. The Irish team won't be happy with the ref and his team.

I thought it was absolutely shocking officiating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Agree you you here. Its great to see the standard improve.
    12th guy o/40 today ran 2.35..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Blacks out his Nikes

you know - I was originally disappointed with Scullion on his shoe choice, but then, thinking about it, I reckon most, if not all the top 10 wore Nike, so if UA don't have a good shoe (& Scullion was critical of his shoe type in Doha), then it evens things up for him.

• Advertisement

you know - I was originally disappointed with Scullion on his shoe choice, but then, thinking about it, I reckon most, if not all the top 10 wore Nike, so if UA don't have a good shoe (& Scullion was critical of his shoe type in Doha), then it evens things up for him.

You'd have to think they allow it anyway. The better he performs the better for them. I don't ever think of UA when thinking of shoes. Did love that singlet though.

Advertisement