Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COMMENTS THREAD FOR RANDOM PHOTOS LV

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What were Queen actually like? Did it seem like something special in the flesh?

They were only on for 25 mins or so at Live Aid. I saw them twice the following year, at Maine Road Manchester and Freddie's last appearance at Knebworth. I have seen many class acts over the years, including the Stones, Bowie, the Who, McCartney, Elton, Roger Waters, Fleetwood Mac and indeed all those others at Live Aid. I would put Queen at the very top of the tree. Bowie would also have been there based on his 83 tour, but I was a bit more disappointed when I saw him later in his career. I would also put the Who at the top in terms of "sustainability" and the ongoing quality of their performances - Roger Daltry still sounds as good as he did nearly 40 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Ah - that photo just made me happy:)
    TomSweeney wrote: »
    49015712302_b6a331e674_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Thanks Keps!
    As ye probably know yourselves, it was shot at 100mm so he wasn't so close to the edge ! :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There's an edge:eek::eek:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Very nice shot. Fair play.
    48969171511_3340ac686e_c.jpg

• Advertisement

https://flic.kr/p/2hMALPN[/img]
    Coexistence by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

Namibia ? , Etosha ?

edit why can't I bloody embed an image here..

edit 2 now i see from flickr it's South Africa :)

49154409502_ec7c45d171_c.jpg

Waiting by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

Beautiual capture - I take it you are somewhere 'hot'.:)

Looks like a Black-Winged Kite - generally lives in Saharan Africa but strays into Spain and Portugal also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Thanks Keps. I was in Pilanesberg National Park in South Africa on a short 5 day trip

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

49149017132_dfa70bbf27_c.jpg

would love to know how this was taken. was the fox just extremely tame/relaxed, or was it taken remotely?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Do herons migrate - as in go away someplace else? He asks, somewhat hopefully. ;)

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Do herons migrate - as in go away someplace else? He asks, somewhat hopefully. ;)

The Irish Grey Herons stay all year round here

keps wrote: »
    The Irish Grey Herons stay all year round here

Thanks, how unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Why Cnocbui? Have you fish in a pond?

Edit: Ah, I think I know why! :D

Buy a decoy Heron- they are very territorial and won't invade another's territory (move it around from day to day)

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/161098962917

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

would love to know how this was taken. was the fox just extremely tame/relaxed, or was it taken remotely?

Hi Magicbastarder,

This is one of two foxes I have been trying to photograph at night for a while now.
    Getting this shot has taken about a month sitting and watching,she routinely follows the same path every night checking the same gardens etc, so I just sat on the path, kerb opposite her route with out a camera for a few weeks on and off till she got used to me. (the Gardai have been called a couple of times)
    Eventually she got used to me and has confidence that I wont hurt her, I am just part of the street to her now.
    On occasion she has just sat beside me and she stinks.

This was taken on a 35mm F1.4 lens at ISO5000 using street lights.

The other fox is proving a little harder to shoot as it bolts every time I drive into the area. This one strangely knows the car and has on occasion come up to greet me.
    I get the impression some people on the road may leave food for her which has helped, I on the other hand have never done so.

Patience has been the key.

This is the start of a project on urban nightlife if anyone has a heads up on other nocturnal animals around south Dublin i would be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

49225251087_9274b717b7_c.jpg

Couldn't help but be reminded of a remark in this short documentary

where David Yarrow talks about filling in "cause of damage" forms for the Nikon repair service (@8m46s) "kicked by elephant ... or eaten by lion ...!" :pac:

Hi Magicbastarder,

This is one of two foxes I have been trying to photograph at night for a while now.
    Getting this shot has taken about a month sitting and watching,she routinely follows the same path every night checking the same gardens etc, so I just sat on the path, kerb opposite her route with out a camera for a few weeks on and off till she got used to me. (the Gardai have been called a couple of times)
    Eventually she got used to me and has confidence that I wont hurt her, I am just part of the street to her now.
    On occasion she has just sat beside me and she stinks.

This was taken on a 35mm F1.4 lens at ISO5000 using street lights.

The other fox is proving a little harder to shoot as it bolts every time I drive into the area. This one strangely knows the car and has on occasion come up to greet me.
    I get the impression some people on the road may leave food for her which has helped, I on the other hand have never done so.

Patience has been the key.

This is the start of a project on urban nightlife if anyone has a heads up on other nocturnal animals around south Dublin i would be grateful.

Wow, that's some effort. I just poke the camera out the back door and press the button. ;-)

Fox-kit-cat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

@Celticrambler I Know was hoping she would not jump up especially as that tripod is a light travel one I just brought to keep the camera off the ground as I switched cameras.
    @ Cnocboi I am jealous.

Wow, that's some effort. I just poke the camera out the back door and press the button. ;-)

That is the happiest looking fox I've ever seen! Was he laughing at you or with you? :D

Wow, I never thought I'd see a fox happy alongside cats!

• Advertisement

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Wow, I never thought I'd see a fox happy alongside cats!

He's a very chill fox. We were a bit worried he'd make a snack of one of the kittens in that pic, when they were about a third that size, but he didn't. The mother cat gives him unwarranted grief while he gives no bother. Another ginger kitten, not in the pic, is fascinated by him and gets very close.

There's a pile of left-over pavers stacked near the kitchen window, to make it easier on the cats to get to the window ledge, because often we'll drop stuff out the window for them. I can tell you, it's a really odd sight to see a fox standing on your kitchen window ledge. :eek:

That is the happiest looking fox I've ever seen! Was he laughing at you or with you? :D

Check this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XDQpd6A45c&t=29s

This summer past, when he was a bit younger.

My mother (living in D14) has a visiting fox with a shoe fetish. The last time I visited, there was a pile of odd shoes outside the back door and definitely not either my mother's or father's style. Mam explained that single shoes started appearing in the back garden during the spring, two or three a week. Eventually, early one morning she spotted the fox coming over the wall with a shoe in his mouth, playing with it for a bit, then scarpering.

She still has no idea where he's getting them from, but the supply has dwindled in recent months! :pac: If anyone spots someone walking around Rathfarnham with only one shoe, tell them to ask my mother if she the other one! :pac:

Funny you should mention that, but a fox (well we think it was a fox) stole a shoe from my brother, he left his shoes in the porch and one was gone next morning - foxes are known to be in the neighbourhood at night, I see them quite often ...

Maybe it was a neighbour trying to mess with him, but doubt it ...

Anyone else think the size should be upped to 1000 pixels? Not many left on dial-up and 800 just doesn't work for skinny panoramas.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Loki98

@ Keps
    ( where it was a great pleasure to meet northsider Adrian Sadlier for the first time)

does'nt look like Adrian, and who let him southside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Loki98 wrote: »
    @ Keps
    ( where it was a great pleasure to meet northsider Adrian Sadlier for the first time)

does'nt look like Adrian, and who let him southside?

I think he got lost, though I have seen him hanging about Camden street on occasion.
    Hangs around with a load of guys looking through "windows" and who make approving noises depending on what they see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

swingking wrote: »
    Emmeline

49450316001_986864dab2_c.jpg

Love the look of this. Is this from in camera settings or post processing? I'm constantly fiddling with the b&w options on my Fuji.

storker wrote: »
    Architecture from different periods, New York City.

Is it just me and my monitor settings, or does they sky appear almost mauve to anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Is it just me and my monitor settings, or does they sky appear almost mauve to anyone else?

Hmmm...maybe, now that you mention it...hard to say. The image hasn't had any post-processing though, so maybe it's the pollution. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement