Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3 bay slatted shed costs 2017/18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭mayota

Would it be adding a lot of expense to go to 18ft bays? I had said I wanted a 14'6" slat but it's probably not needed if there will only be headspace for six cows.

Depending on how and when you’d be using the creep you could feed some pens both sides. Nice 3 bay with creep in last weeks Journal with prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The expensive cost in sheds is the tank. The bigger the tank the cheaper per cubic meter capacity it is. However Like issue is headspace. Going for bigger bay's is not the answer as it creates more floorspace in the area.Cow management by splitting cows into groups helps in that you can house more dominant cows together and cows that are easily bullied together as well. Bullying should not be an issue with heifers as in general all will be the same age if they can be housed separate.

That leaves you with the cows. One way to create extra headspace to limit bullying would be double pens this gives nearly 30' of headspace. In practice you could limit floorspace to 2.5-3 metre's square/cow. A 14'6'' slat with 18'' toe space front and back would give space for 16-20 cows/ pen. The thing about a double pen is it allows shy feeders a chance to stay clear of dominant cows. As well if including a creep area you could use the back of a single bay as a feed area as well and have you creep and calving area in an L shape off other bay of pen. If going 5/6 bay's the middle pens could be used for heifers or weanlings.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Dunedin

mayota wrote: »
    Depending on how and when you’d be using the creep you could feed some pens both sides. Nice 3 bay with creep in last weeks Journal with prices.

Seemed to be a lot of paperwork and hold up re the grant approval though.

Is that the norm or was this guy just unlucky??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DonAndy1

Hi there Lads / Ladies
    any one have any view on my shed above? and plans to put up a 3 bay dry shed. im now thinking i would go at a right angle to the shed, and create a sort of holding pen around the perimeter of the 2 sheds, for sorting cattle, maybe storing silage etc.
    do you need to put up a dung stead if you have a dry lying shed

DonAndy1 wrote: »
    Hi there Lads / Ladies
    any one have any view on my shed above? and plans to put up a 3 bay dry shed. im now thinking i would go at a right angle to the shed, and create a sort of holding pen around the perimeter of the 2 sheds, for sorting cattle, maybe storing silage etc.
    do you need to put up a dung stead if you have a dry lying shed

DonAndy what direction is present shed facing. Ideally shed should face NE next best choice is N and then E to prevent as much rain getting into building. In the pitcures I see that there is a large area at front of existing shed is this because it is west or south. With a straw shed especially you need to prevent as much rain as possible entering shed.

In general I think that lads that take the plunge and opt for slats usually work out better off as it is cheaper and more efficient in the long run.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭timmiekp

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GulSVWLSxWw Can any1 give a rough est cost on a shed this size and cost overall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Would ye recommend tractor slats or normal.

€600 extra for a 3 bay on 14’ 6” slats. Doesn’t seem too much but would welcome boardies views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Dunedin wrote: »

€600 extra for a 3 bay on 14’ 6” slats. Doesn’t seem too much but would welcome boardies views.

Unless you need to drive on them for access why would you bother

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

Absolutely get it. You never know when you need to lift out an animal, or just do maintenance. A tractor slat will probably last longer too. Indeed I think most of the good companies are only doing tractor slats now (9 -10 inch)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭shrek008

maidhc wrote: »
    Absolutely get it. You never know when you need to lift out an animal, or just do maintenance. A tractor slat will probably last longer too. Indeed I think most of the good companies are only doing tractor slats now (9 -10 inch)

+1

• Advertisement

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Unless you need to drive on them for access why would you bother

I think I would be with Grassroots on this one. Most Irish slats are tractor are very highly spec'ed and British rating are lower than Irelands. If the difference is that little I imagine that there is no difference in the slats except the cert.

As for going on slats with a tractor I am not sure when slats are 10-15 years old I would put a tractor on them. The spec of modern Irish slats is excessive anyway and if you check load bearing most are rated to take axel weights of 4T anyway. This is higher than the axle weight of most tractors up to 100hp.

As for slats lasting longer again the spec is so high that most slats will have a 60+ year lifespan. Most horror stories of slat failing are from single or early gang slats. I have not seen any slats to grant spec put in from the early 90's replaced. these are hitting 30 years old. I have seen H irons that are rotten with rust and abestos roofs from over specing on them

Keep the 600 euro and spend it on a bit of concrete around the shed, or a few floodlighs, fencing etc.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

100% get tractor slats.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

+1

I got 14ft 6'' [tractor safe ones], for that reason...in case i need to drive on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Dunedin wrote:
    €600 extra for a 3 bay on 14’ 6†slats. Doesn’t seem too much but would welcome boardies views.

I got them and we'll worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

+1 Think last time I was looking at slats, the companies I contacted all quoting for them as standard now

+1 Think last time I was looking at slats, the companies I contacted all quoting for them as standard now

If I remember correctly The last slats I got that were department were spec'ed to carry 2ton/axle/slat. I be surprised if Dundedin are not a similar spec. The time of the large grant scheme in the late noughties I bought slats off Creagh conc in NI and they were Tractor spec in the UK but not in the republic.

If it is a 3 bay open fronted shed how likely is it you will need to put wheels of a tractor on the slats to remove an animal which is unlikely anyway. If it is an open fronted shed and you want to do maintenance you can put a trailer or rollaway scaffolding on slats to work on. Like I said in 15-20 years time would you risk a tractor on them anyway.

Most new sub 100 tractors are only 4 ton anyway. Yes 600 is small money in the price of a shed but I would have spend it elsewhere rather than on future proofing or bomb proofing something for what might never happen

Slava Ukrainii

Hi this might seem like stupid question. But after getting tams 2 application approved ...slatted shed+new cattle race. I didnt initially apply for some things like a anti backing bar or a meal silo (didnt think i would have the money), now my shed got built can i apply to get those items included (as part of 40%) when sending in the reciepts???
    Basically can i include some changes after the initial tams2 shed 'grant approved' list of items....
    Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

MikeSoys wrote: »
    Hi this might seem like stupid question. But after getting tams 2 application approved ...slatted shed+new cattle race. I didnt initially apply for some things like a anti backing bar or a meal silo (didnt think i would have the money), now my shed got built can i apply to get those items included (as part of 40%) when sending in the reciepts???
    Basically can i include some changes after the initial tams2 shed 'grant approved' list of items....
    Ta
    You can only claim on what you got approval for.

But you can apply again as long as you haven't hit the upper limit of grant allowed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 LastOrders

Would a 3 bay slatted shed house many stock? At the prices quoted here seems like you would be a few years paying that back with or without grant. Keep hearing lads say they are as cheap to construct without grant, might be just talk.

• Advertisement

LastOrders wrote: »
    Would a 3 bay slatted shed house many stock? At the prices quoted here seems like you would be a few years paying that back with or without grant. Keep hearing lads say they are as cheap to construct without grant, might be just talk.

It would all depend on the size of the slats. If you used 16'6'' slats and a 2-3' toe space front and back you would get 20-22 300kg weanling/pen, 14-17 450-500kgs store/pen 13 finishing cattle or about the same in cows /pen

Slava Ukrainii

It would all depend on the size of the slats. If you used 16'6'' slats and a 2-3' toe space front and back you would get 20-22 300kg weanling/pen, 14-17 450-500kgs store/pen 13 finishing cattle or about the same in cows /pen

So 3 pens and approx 40 finishing cattle? Would you make €8000 on them? Shed cost 50/60k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Who2

LastOrders wrote: »
    So 3 pens and approx 40 finishing cattle? Would you make €8000 on them? Shed cost 50/60k?

if it cost you any more than 25k (and i mean actually cost after vat, whether grant was taken or not) then the lad paying for its a clown.
    how much money do you make on your car? would you make 8k on it per annum? most people will spend 30-40k on a brand new car without thinking about it, and itll only loose money but will argue over the price of a shed.

Who2 wrote: »
    if it cost you any more than 25k (and i mean actually cost after vat, whether grant was taken or not) then the lad paying for its a clown.
    how much money do you make on your car? would you make 8k on it per annum? most people will spend 30-40k on a brand new car without thinking about it, and itll only loose money but will argue over the price of a shed.

I just see lads throwing out figures of 50/60k, surely at this cost you would nearly want to try out winter with half the numbers. 25k would be an option is ya could house 40 a year and make 8k a year on them.

If you went for the grant and after vat I imagine that the cost would be in or around the 20K mark. You have to look at it as to how it will add value to your farming enterprise. It may allow you to increase you stock levels, it would reduce the workload during the winter and make farming a sustainable enterprise as you get older.

As well it would mean that you would have early grass and maybe along with paddocks give you a greater weight gain/animal over the couse of a year.

Slava Ukrainii

Tams 2 sheds are more expensive but if you can get >=40% back and the shed is being built to a higher standard under tams i think its really worth looking at.

I was out wintering stores but am building a 4 bay single under tams2 ... the irish weather is getting so wet in winter i feel out wintered cattle will be a thing of the past

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

MikeSoys wrote: »
    Tams 2 sheds are more expensive but if you can get >=40% back and the shed is being built to a higher standard under tams i think its really worth looking at.

I was out wintering stores but am building a 4 bay single under tams2 ... the irish weather is getting so wet in winter i feel out wintered cattle will be a thing of the past

Have You a price got for the complete job? Planning on a 4 bay with 16'6 slat later on this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 the quiet fella

anyone care to list what the differences are between grant sec or non grant spec?

Also anyone have full cost comparisons between grant spec and non spec

how many cows would one expect to hold on in a 3 bay shed with 16 6 slat?

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Have You a price got for the complete job? Planning on a 4 bay with 16'6 slat later on this year.

I got a quote for 48k and another for 51k ...4 bay single 14'6" slats.

• Advertisement

anyone care to list what the differences are between grant sec or non grant spec?

Also anyone have full cost comparisons between grant spec and non spec

how many cows would one expect to hold on in a 3 bay shed with 16 6 slat?

Well Grant spec requires thicker tank walls and more steel in the tank..of which i was told it doesent need to be that thick or need that much steel. Also hardcore around the tank needs to be compacted... so if you were building a non grant tank you could make the tank wall thinner and with less steel

Advertisement