Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vasalgel ( Male birth Control)

• 22-09-2016 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

It looks like this will be on the market soon. Would you adk your partner to use this? It removes to the need for women to mess with their hormones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Maybe with my current partner because I consider him for life and trust him but otherwise not in a million years. If woman messes up contraception she gets pregnant, if man messes up contraception a woman still gets pregnant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Define soon... This site suggests that trials will only begin in 2016: https://www.parsemusfoundation.org/projects/vasalgel/

It appears to be a non-surgical vasectomy. I'd need to see the full statistics - in rabbits it lasted more than a year but is that the case in humans? Also it's a gel that is impenetratable by sperm, but how frequently is it tested? If a guy ejaculates three times a day for a year is that going to break down the barrier or degrade the gel? Would the individual person react differently? Like if semen can taste like pineapple, could pineapple degrade the gel?

• Site Banned Posts: 8 Albert Shinestein

sullivlo wrote: »
    Define soon... This site suggests that trials will only begin in 2016: tps:.parsemusfoundation.org/projects/vasalgel

It appears to be a non-surgical vasectomy. I'd need to see the full statistics - in rabbits it lasted more than a year but is that the case in humans? Also it's a gel that is impenetratable by sperm, but how frequently is it tested? If a guy ejaculates three times a day for a year is that going to break down the barrier or degrade the gel? Would the individual person react differently? Like if semen can taste like pineapple, could pineapple degrade the gel?

12 months of testing and not one sperm was detected, think that seems pretty good.

I think they would be confident enough that pineapple tasting semen would be safe, :D, such a ludicrous thing to say.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Maybe with my current partner because I consider him for life and trust him but otherwise not in a million years. If woman messes up contraception she gets pregnant, if man messes up contraception a woman still gets pregnant.

You can't really mess it up, the doctor injects the polymer and it lasts 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You can't really mess it up, the doctor injects the polymer and it lasts 10 years.

Can you provide a scientific link to this please? 10 years is quite a claim!!

• Advertisement

Yeah but how can you trust that someone you just met is telling the truth? It will offer men some reassurance if they don't want to become a father but as a woman I would rely on my own contraception. Long therm partners that don't have trust issues are obviously exception but in those cases more permanent methods exist.

Can you provide a scientific link to this please? 10 years is quite a claim!!

Google it.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yeah but how can you trust that someone you just met is telling the truth? It will offer men some reassurance if they don't want to become a father but as a woman I would rely on my own contraception. Long therm partners that don't have trust issues are obviously exception but in those cases more permanent methods exist.

Likewise mem in relationships don't have to rely on their partners.

Likewise mem in relationships don't have to rely on their partners.

Exactly I think it will more offer men peace of mind but considering women risk more I don't think it's enough to make me comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Google it.

Saying Google it is a very lazy way of doing things. If you want us to listen to you, back up the claim.

The product has been in development since 2010. The longest trial listed by the foundation on their website says 1 year in rabbits.

Without having a 10 year trial, you cannot guarantee 10 years. You may be able to say a similar product being trialled in India has had success in humans for x years, but it is still a different product.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Google it.

You made the claim, it's up to you to back it up, otherwise it's just your opinion.

Could well work for me and my husband, although full vasectomy is probably more likely to be the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I would trust him but I still wouldn't use it.

It's not enough that he can't get me pregnant, I want to be sure that I can't get pregnant if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Google it.

I did there's no mention of ten years.

You made the claim, it's up to you to back it up, otherwise it's just your opinion.

Could well work for me and my husband, although full vasectomy is probably more likely to be the choice.

It's not up to me. I'm not obliged to spoon feed you.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I would trust him but I still wouldn't use it.

It's not enough that he can't get me pregnant, I want to be sure that I can't get pregnant if that makes sense.

The pill is harmful to a woman's body, if I were a woman I'd certainly be happy about this news

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

12 months of testing and not one sperm was detected, think that seems pretty good.

I think they would be confident enough that pineapple tasting semen would be safe, :D, such a ludicrous thing to say.

I didn't mean that the taste would influence the gel. I meant that the composition of semen can change, and the variety of compositions may react differently with the gel.

Also yes, 12 months is fab, but you're claiming it lasts 10 years. Link please.

Google it.

Mod

Albert! Welcome to tLL.

You provided a statistic, you were asked to back it up. Don't respond to a poster in this fashion again.

Your posts are also borderline at times. Please take a read of the charter before posting again.

Any questions PM me - don't reply on thread.

In principle it's a fantastic idea.

But the scientist in me would like to see some data. Another red flag for me is that they are crowd funding the project. Not exactly confidence inspiring!

Anyone who casually trusts someone else with avoiding making them pregnant or a parent is taking a risk.

If I was a man who definitely didn't want to father children, I'd take it no problem. A woman who definitely doesn't want a pregnancy should take similar measures to protect herself.

Might be an excellent option for long termers, otherwise - no.

I think the pill has been the cause of destroying many relationships and broken families. It harms women's health, can be terrible for a couple's sex life and their relationship. I really hope non hormonal forms of birth control become readily available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The pill is harmful to a woman's body, if I were a woman I'd certainly be happy about this news

Do you know the side effects of this gel?

Vasectomy is the best option once your done with kids.

The pill also appears to have a protective effect against some cancers, and has liberated women from the fear of unplanned pregnancy.

It's also not the only contraceptive available for womens use.

Candie wrote: »
    The pill also appears to have a protective effect against some cancers, and has liberated women from the fear of unplanned pregnancy.

It's also not the only contraceptive available for womens use.

The pill is a chemical, short term is ok but not a long term solution.

All chemicals are dangerous after over use.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't use the pill

Candie wrote: »
    Anyone who casually trusts someone else with avoiding making them pregnant or a parent is taking a risk.

If I was a man who definitely didn't want to father children, I'd take it no problem. A woman who definitely doesn't want a pregnancy should take similar measures to protect herself.

Might be an excellent option for long termers, otherwise - no.

For a young man who doesn't want kids until his thirties or so it is a much better option than a vasectomy.

For a young man who doesn't want kids until his thirties or so it is a much better option than a vasectomy.

Obviously a vasectomy is not till your finished as very hard to reverse it successfully.

But this gel could have serious side effects, could kill the sperm.

More testing needs to be done over a 20 year period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

IS VASALGEL REVERSIBLE? HOW IS THAT DONE?
    The idea is to develop a fully reversible long-acting male contraceptive, and recently-completed rabbit studies showed rapid restoration of sperm flow. This was accomplished by flushing the Vasalgel from the vas deferens with an injection of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) solution. Additional preclinical studies are underway to further test the methods and efficacy of reversibility in larger animals. Until reversibility studies are done in men, Vasalgel should be thought of as a vasectomy alternative.

Src: https://www.parsemusfoundation.org/projects/vasalgel/vasalgel-faqs/

Even the foundation marketing this are not saying it is definitely reversible. I wouldn't be so quick to hail it as the wonder contraceptive for men until those tests are done and proven.
    Our current understanding of Vasalgel is that fluids can pass through the gel, but sperm cannot.

Also sourced as above from the FAQ's. I'm very worried by the term "our current understanding". That means they are really not sure if it does what they say or not. Again, until tests are done, it is all just theories based on what they believe is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Chaos Black

As a guy, i'd be wary of taking it, i'd need some fairly rigorous testing to be done on a large scale over a period before i'd consider it. I would think, many men/couples would be in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

All chemicals are dangerous after over use.

I shall expect to drop dead from long term use of O2 any day now so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I shall expect to drop dead from long term use of O2 any day now so.

http://www.diverite.com/articles/oxygen-toxicity-signs-and-symptoms/

Anything which further encourages a reduction in condom use for casual sex is not something I want to see on the market right now - unless we want to see the growth in antibiotic resistant STIs continuing.

Advertisement