Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rugby League's Off-Topic thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Beasty wrote: »
    Is that because you've christened that ban hammer? is there anyone (other than me) still allowed to post here?

Yeah, first ban, the serenity of the League forum continues.

Others are welcome and allowed to post, must be the intimidating atmosphere caused by Moderation/Regular Poster here that causes people to avoid the place.

Terrible news over the weekend about the Rugby League journalist getting assaulted in London. Gary Carter is in a medical induced coma, who knows what happened but that a man could well have life changing brain injuries is tragic.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/gary-carter-rugby-journalist-assault-10404455

North Queensland Cowboys Johnathan Thurston has unsurprisingly won the Golden Boot this year. Quality player for the last few years.

Santa's Strike Force is back, donate here:

[SSF] .[/SSF]
    Mobile users click HERE

Give a donation and you can rename this thread what you like for a minimum of 24 hours, but probably much longer! (as long as it's within Boards rules!) Doesn't have to have anything to do with Rugby League.

Brett Ferres suspended by the Giants because he was found in bed with the wife of his team mate and best man, Craig Huby, by his wife. She then videoed it and sent it to Huby.

Jeremy Kyle on his way?

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/newspaper-claims-huddersfield-giants-star-10483009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

Brett Ferres suspended by the Giants because he was found in bed with the wife of his team mate and best man, Craig Huby, by his wife. She then videoed it and sent it to Huby.

Jeremy Kyle on his way?

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/newspaper-claims-huddersfield-giants-star-10483009

You couldn't make that up.

Rugby League has its own linguistic maestro ala Steve Mcclaren. Not quite up to his level but Richie Myler has a certain gallic flair to his accent now.

Kevin Sinfield is first ever Rugby League player to be nominated for BBC Sports Personality of the Year award. Not a snowballs chance in hell of winning but it's nice recognition for him and the sport.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Kevin Sinfield is first ever Rugby League player to be nominated for BBC Sports Personality of the Year award. Not a snowballs chance in hell of winning but it's nice recognition for him and the sport.
    Normally a pre-Olympic year gives some of the lesser sports a chance. Not this year - Andy Murray will walk it

Normally a pre-Olympic year gives some of the lesser sports a chance. Not this year - Andy Murray will walk it

I do wonder why they still have personality in title, awful lot of the winners don't have any.

• Advertisement

Star Trek Rugby League style.

Don't let the cobwebs get too thick around here lads, and keep the tumble weeds to a minimum.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As I'm sure one or two of you have noticed DWW has stepped down as a mod and closed his account. I would like to thank him for his efforts to bring this forum to life, both as a regular user and more recently as a mod.

We've still got .ak as a mod around here, and I'll be dipping into the forum on occasions. If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate in dropping either of us (or indeed one of the other CMods) a PM

The DW stadium pitch is looking a disaster at present. With the way the weather's been and now they will be alternating between soccer and rugby league I hate to think what state it could be in after a few more weeks - guess it will be bringing back memories of the 70's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Didn't know where to post this, so here seems ok. Toronto are going to be playing in UK Rugby League's third tier next season. Can't see it working but it would be great if it did. They are paying for the travel expenses of teams to get there (much like Guernsey did in Non League English football, only a good bit cheaper I'd have thought!)

It will be fantastic for the semi-pro and amateur lads getting a free trip to Canada anyway.

https://t.co/05mLU8YuJ4

When is the Rugby League feedback thread starting? Soccer forum one looks fun.

I've had one or two PMs requesting I add it to the "forums under review" list...

:pac:

We did have a big bust up in one forum (that will remain nameless) over the title of the off-topic thread. Any suggestions for re-branding this one???

(I will then overrule any such suggestion(s) and impose something on the forum)

Suggestions

It's good, but it's not quite Frisbee - Rugby League chat thread (think that was done before)

The Leeds lost Again? Rugby League Chat thread

Love salary cap infringements? Then you'll love the Rugby League chat thread

Boards equivalent of One Man and his Dog - Rugby League chat thread

You really should get out more - the Rugby League chat thread

Who needs a finished charter - the Rugby League chat thread

Sheds/dressing rooms.Bunker/VideoRef.1 ref or 2 it's the Rugby League chat thread

And I'm done (could've used that as one before actually)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Angular Cheilitis (fancy name for cracked corners of mouth) is quite annoying and a bit sore. It's about as off topic as I can manage sober.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Angular Cheilitis (fancy name for cracked corners of mouth) is quite annoying and a bit sore. It's about as off topic as I can manage sober.
    I take your angular cheilitis and raise you 3 slipped discs......

• Advertisement

I take your angular cheilitis and raise you 3 slipped discs......

Yeah but that doesn't stop you enjoying salt and vinegar crisps now does it? And surely that's all that matters?

Yeah but that doesn't stop you enjoying salt and vinegar crisps now does it? And surely that's all that matters?
    To some extent yes, however....

... following the laser eye surgery to seal a retinal tear back in October I get a lot of floaters across my field of vision. Some of them look like little creatures crawling across my crisps - not very nice for a vegetarian to witness. Then the sinus operation 3 months ago affected my sense of smell and taste - I prefer ready (or un-) salted anyway. Regardless, as a result of the shoulder operation last month, I have difficulty stuffing them in my gob.....

To some extent yes, however....

... following the laser eye surgery to seal a retinal tear back in October I get a lot of floaters across my field of vision. Some of them look like little creatures crawling across my crisps - not very nice for a vegetarian to witness. Then the sinus operation 3 months ago affected my sense of smell and taste - I prefer ready (or un-) salted anyway. Regardless, as a result of the shoulder operation last month, I have difficulty stuffing them in my gob.....

But but but, salt and vinegar....

I concede.

Oh, and I hope a huge dollop of good luck is due for you, after this seemingly endless stream of bad.

500 posts*
    At least one good post in amongst them, but don't ask me to find it :)

*(this time)

Posted this on the union forum. Seems like a good way of getting people to play Rugby, just they don't seem to realise it's touch Rugby League they're playing.

https://twitter.com/O2touch/status/856885527953285122

Went looking at the forum games forum. Not a frackin clue what's going on.

Some American sweets aren't that bad. Jolly Rancher are nice, Reese peanut butter chocs are also nice. Tried loads, so anyone needing a rating of particular sweet (or candy if you must) please do let me know. :pac:

Over a year down the line and local mods have still not got their act together......

Over a year down the line and local mods have still not got their act together......

Must rectify that, but it's going to be so, so very busy, with the upcoming world cup and massive influx of new posters to the forum that will presumably bring, I just don't think I'll get time. ;)

• Advertisement

Watermelon flavoured sweets are the work of the devil, loads of American sweets have that flavour included sadly.

Advertisement