Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My '72 Challenger project

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

Last job of the day was to carefully remove the crank from the block so I can get it sent off for a linish & have it checked out & new bearings ordered..

IMG_2230_zpsec41a76b.jpg

IMG_2231_zps20c19b29.jpg

So now I play the waiting game for parts again… still gives me lots of time to clean the crap off the block & repaint it I guess…

IMG_2232_zps017b9c01.jpg

If you’ve been reading the whole thread on this car you may remember that the engine doesn’t produce enough vacuum to really make my new brakes work. The car has always had a vacuum tank plumbed in to store the vacuum, but it could only ever store the max vacuum that the cam could let the engine produce… my thinking had been to install a vacuum pump in line to the booster running off a vacuum switch to keep a constant 20”s in the tank.. well I’ve had a change of mind on this now as its taken so long to get to installing it…

So now I’ve decided to go with a Hydratech system.. if you’ve never heard of one of these, it’s a piggy back system that runs off the power steering system of the car to provide a constant hydraulic assistance to the brakes, the unit replaces the large booster that is normally bolted to the firewall

Hydratech_zps6b17dbea.jpg

This means that I get to remove this from the engine bay to free up some space

IMG_2076_zpse9dc67f4.jpg

I also get to remove the booster off the firewall, I had bought a new one as I’m sure the old one was knackered..

IMG_1906_zps5d07c3b9.jpg

IMG_1905_zpsd2f60c16.jpg

but it’s no longer needed & this will also free up some extra space on the firewall side where the master cylinder sits.. which means that hopefully I’ll have no clearance issue for the new master cylinder with the brake bias adjuster built in

IMG_2050_zps0bc55ca8.jpg

Now just to hurry up & wait for the new parts to arrive…. Come on Santa!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Great to see all the work done on the Dave, not that it was shabby beforehand mind you. It's a real labour of love. Great pix.

Great to see all the work done on the Dave, not that it was shabby beforehand mind you. It's a real labour of love. Great pix.

Thanks mate... how's that Porsche of yours going? any chance I get a copy of the pic of the two cars face to face at your wedding?

A long overdue short update.. yet again this car has had me standing in my garage staring in pure WTF disbelief at what I was looking at… now I know that the majority of you will know how to strip down an engine, so you can just skip to the money shot of the pistons below.. anyway, on with the show…

So off with the heads..

IMG_2234_zps5874e38e.jpg

As this is a flat tappet cam all the rockers are connected on a single rod, so removal of them is only a simple removal of 5 bolts to take them off

IMG_2235_zps49045691.jpg

With them off it’s time to pull out the pushrods & the lifters out… I found that if I slowly pulled the lifter up the oil suction would pull the lifter out of its bore far enough for me to grab them with my fingers & pull them out

IMG_2237_zpsdc7bc853.jpg

IMG_2238_zpsde5c33e0.jpg

Right now I don’t know what I’ll reuse & what I’ll replace so for now I’ve assumed that I’ll be reusing everything… that being the case I can’t stress the importance enough of making sure you remember exactly which row or rockers is which, which pushrod went with which rocker & which lifter went with what pushrod… there are fancy plastic trays that you can buy that have the perfect shaped holders built into them to hold all the bits as you dismantle them… I don’t have one of them… I do have a lot of boxes that car parts came in, so I opted for that instead… just marked the boxes to know which way facing the front of the block & carefully put each part in its place as I removed them…

IMG_2239_zps3553c988.jpg

The lifter box I packed tight so that they cannot move at all

IMG_2249_zps9d66cf26.jpg

IMG_2250_zps78868efe.jpg

Then it’s just 10 bolts that hold the heads onto the block… again I decided to ensure that I kept track of which bolt came from which hole, some say it matters, others don’t think so… I may well end up with a new ARP bolt kit anyway, but for now I’ve kept track of the bolts too..

IMG_2242_zps2a0c8094.jpg

IMG_2243_zpsf68b0a61.jpg

• Advertisement

I noticed that the heads have been marked by someone in the past as L & R… hopefully even I’m not that hopeless as to cock that up… but I guess if they’re marked already then I’ve really no excuse…

IMG_2240_zps4887293e.jpg

IMG_2241_zps6ae47b88.jpg

With the bolts out the heads needed a gentle tap to break the seal to the block & then you just lift them off… bugger me they are heavy, I’ll have to put a set of aluminum heads on the to-do list for a later date..

IMG_2245_zps940bb606.jpg

The valves & chambers all look great, they are covered in carbon build up but other than that, they look great… anyone have a good tips on how to clean them???

IMG_2248_zpsb84a925f.jpg

Now I’m running out of bench space… mental note, need a bigger garage.. or stop taking cars apart…

IMG_2251_zpsb9efe17b.jpg

So with the heads off it was time to inspect the pistons, as the crank is out I could slide all the pistons up to TDC to have a good look…

IMG_2252_zps7ad48921.jpg

IMG_2244_zpsa279a6e2.jpg

My logic was to inspect the piston tops & if they were fine then I would slide them all the way down the bores & inspect the bores & if the bores where fine then I wouldn’t risk damaging the rings & I’d just leave the pistons in place…. This all started to fix an annoying slow drip from the rear main seal remember… not an engine rebuild as the motor ran well, had good compression, didn’t blow or use oil & pulled hard…… remember that as we go on…. As I cannot for the life of me understand how that was actually possible with what I found… a major WTF moment with this car again…

So how does piston number 8 look…. Hmmm is that a valve mark..

IMG_2246_zps16fe4cb2.jpg

How about number 4… hmmm… not exactly smooth you could say…

IMG_2247_zpsc5b36d76.jpg

Number 3 is kinda cool.. in a hey is that a small chunk missing from the edge of the piston top kinda way… I reckon its 4mm x 2mm

IMG_2253_zps56180cf8.jpg

But piston number 5 is the clear winner…. This one I like so much I shall call him Steve & keep him forever….

IMG_2254_zps7d538283.jpg

IMG_2255_zps34224e23.jpg

IMG_2256_zpsefe06f20.jpg

**** me… that is a massive chunk of piston missing & I mean massive…. That’s not measured in mm but in inches & not just because I like to mix the metric & imperial scales up… but because I’ve seen small animals crawl through gaps smaller than that hole… all I can say is the piston rings on that piston all deserve medals of valor for services above & beyond…

Right… now this is the WTF bit I need help with… clearly this motor had a bad day when the pistons when to play in valve town without permission & as you can see they trashed the place…. So the motor was pulled apart & somewhat cleaned up, I can see hone marks in the bores, the cam is new & the heads are clearly not the ones for this block, they have 360 cast into them so I’m guessing they may be off the 360ci…. Now I could almost understand reusing the old oil pump, assuming they never opened it up & saw the damage… but who in their right mind would reuse those pistons!!!! I just don’t get it….

Well so much for a quick check & reassemble… I’ll get some time in the garage tonight & pull the pistons & the cam out… then I’ll get the block to a machine shop to be checked out, I really didn’t want to be spending big on a rebuild for this at this stage… I guess the big question is do I just do a stock rebuild or do I fit a stroker kit to the bottom end now, reuse my heads for now (assuming they check out fine) & then at a later date pull them off for a set of better flowing aluminium ones…. Hmmm… decisions decisions…

Even though I knew that I really wouldn’t need to, I double checked to make sure that the distributor location was marked before pulling it out… it was..

IMG_2233_zps07121b7c.jpg

Once one I could see the massive wear on both the shaft & on gear..

IMG_2266_zpsa30bd3be.jpg

IMG_2267_zpsd2193df3.jpg

This really has become like conducting an autopsy on a friend at this stage… here you can see the extend of the damage to Steve, also on the other side of Steve you can see where his broken oil ring segments have mashed & melted into him..

IMG_2259_zps3d29eb05.jpg

IMG_2257_zps036ffafe.jpg

When I pulled all the pistons only 3 of them had intact rings, the rest all had broken rings..

IMG_2258_zps0721a79e.jpg

IMG_2264_zpscbae75d2.jpg

Now that they are all out, I’m trying to think of artistic things to do with them, as I said before Steve will be cleaned up & become a desk weight in my office for a while.. but happy for suggestions on what to do with the rest

IMG_2263_zps30cf46e2.jpg

Next up was the Cam, inside the engine it didn’t look too bad, but I really knew that once it was out in the light it would probably be bent or have a whole lobe made of dried weetbix or something knowing this cars history… anyway as suspected its pitted & worn to hell… so not much use, again open to artistic ideas..

IMG_2265_zpsff69d5e5.jpg

The Cam endplate was also badly worn, so the cam was no doubt floating back & forth as the engine was running..

IMG_2268_zps0dfba856.jpg

& the Cam bearings I hear you ask…. Yep, well shagged too…

IMG_2269_zps7440145e.jpg

IMG_2270_zps3bb12ad4.jpg

Now with the block bare it was time to take a rough measurement of the bores & have a good look at their condition… I really wanted this block to be a virgin bore that had never been bored over before… but sadly that’s not the case it’s been bored over at least once in its life..

IMG_2262_zps8139ba24.jpg

As for the state of the bores themselves… well as I’m sure you already guessed.. the bore that Steve has been calling home is well gone, you don’t need a micrometer to measure the damage, it’s not a subtle blemish that you can only just pick up running your finger nail around the inside.. you could run your elbow around the inside & feel this one…

IMG_2260_zps40dbdc07.jpg

IMG_2261_zps2fb27dfb.jpg

Most of the others are not too bad, but this is not something a simple hone will fix.. it would need to be bored over again & I don’t think that there is enough meat left in the walls for that….

So what to do… I could take it to a machine shop in the new year when they open & get them to inspect it & if possible bore it over again assuming that I’m wrong about the meat left in the walls… I guess I could have the block sleeved, but I really don’t like that idea, no real logical reason other than I just don’t… so now my mind is turning towards the quick fix… a crate motor to drop in. Sadly with the cash already outlaid on this project, the XB & the fact that I’m buying a house next year & getting married the budget is tight… so no 572ci Hemi for me.. in fact no Hemi of any size…

The engine I’ve been looking at overnight that I like is a 340 6 Pack stroker motor… its 416ci (6.6ltrs in new money), makes about 470HP & 490FT/LBS of torque.. being a 4 bolt mains small block with alloy heads it’s a couple of hundred KG’s lighter than the big 440’s & Hemi’s & that should mean that the handling is better.. & most important, it fits my budget & if the shop in question has one in the country it can be here in days

410Mopar_zps392d0384.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭92cooper

Great thread Dave (and great car) remember this from Octane. Shame about the piston 'mishap' - holy crap!!!

• Advertisement

Another quick update to this…. So I got a new battery for my calipers so I could measure the bore of the block to see what it looked like, I could tell from the tape measure that it was over 4” but figured I’d double check to be sure to be sure. So the stock bore should be 4.040” according to my research, then I started to research what’s the most the block could be safely bored over.. found stuff for .010” to .040” & then a lot of debate it seemed as to how safe going to .060” over bore would or could be… well long story short my bores are all at 4.1” so they are all .060” over already.. so that definitely in my mind makes this block destined to be a coffee table..

IMG_2287_zpsda7852d6.jpg

Now sadly the fast easy fix of a crate engine for this car from a shop locally is dead too.. although the crate engine is still listed on their site, they don’t stock them anymore.. so now we are at the get a builder to build a new engine stage, sadly it adds weeks of off the road time I didn’t want, but it is what it is…

Based off a conversation with said builder, it will be a new stroker block & new alloy heads etc…. but we will be reusing my six pack set up including intake assuming it’s all good… so I spent some time on the weekend cleaning bits & boxing them up for shipping..

IMG_2275_zpsd4952267.jpg

IMG_2276_zps12f5ab3d.jpg

With the carbs you may remember form a few pages back in the thread that my middle carb is now a Frankenstein carb made up of different carb model parts… well I’ve opted to spring for a shiny new centre carb for the new build…

IMG_2271_zps360732f9.jpg

IMG_2274_zps8648e152.jpg

The old outers that I will be reusing, I just wrapped in bubblewrap & foam & then but into some containers to be boxed up to be shipped off..

IMG_2272_zpsd86504a8.jpg

IMG_2273_zps7e0e49fb.jpg

Sadly now it will be 6 to 8 weeks I guess before I can even hope to see a new engine come back, built.. run in & tuned on the dyno.. well I guess that gives me no excuse to not have every other little job on the list sorted by the time it comes back..

And what’s on that list I hear you ask… a few things, not least of which is to finish the last of the new brake install, my hydraboost setup hasn’t arrived from the US yet, but when it does the hard brake lines in the engine bay won’t fit anymore & the rears already don’t fit now that I’ve swapped from drums to disks… so I’ve ordered a length of new hard line & now I have a fancy new tool for double flaring the ends of the line. Now we’ve all seen the old style tools like two flat metal bars that when joined together have the holes for the different gauge pipe cut into them… well I’ve never like the look of them & found them very cumbersome… so I’ve opted for this newer bench vise mounted style

IMG_2279_zps5259afa8.jpg

IMG_2277_zps12c41ebd.jpg

Once you have the tool in the vice, you set the gauge to zero & install the brake line & it lines the pipe to the correct spot… then it’s a 2 step process using different spots on the gauge to first flare & then double flare the line… I’ll provide a better step by step description when I get around to making the new lines

IMG_2278_zps1a934b60.jpg

Another rather annoying job that I didn’t expect to need to do is to swap the wheel studs out for longer ones…. Ok so I’m not shocked that the rears where not long enough as I did do a drum to disk swap at the same time & I can’t be shocked that they now are not long enough, I only get 4 to 5 turns of the nut on the stud… not enough to hold a wheel on in my mind. But I was a little disappointed to see that the studs in the new hubs that where part of the baer brake upgrade are also too short… again only get 4 to 5 turns… the very annoying thing here is that if the studs where threaded all the way along the length of the stud they would be fine… but as they are “easy” start studs the actual thread length is too short…

IMG_2282_zps610477da.jpg

IMG_2281_zps1926de79.jpg

They are only pressed in & there looked like I would be fine to knock them out with a hammer without having to remove the hubs from the car..

IMG_2283_zps84cf2afa.jpg

But no… I put a wheel nut on to protect the threads & belted the crap out of it… but all I did was to deform the end of the wheel nut… so I guess I have to remove the brakes again & press out the studs so that I can measure them correctly & then hopefully find a longer set that will fit….

IMG_2284_zps81bc9abc.jpg

I’ve been travelling a lot for work again the start of this year, so this has limited my time in the Skunk Works greatly… also the lease on my place is up in April so I’ve been spending a lot of weekends out with my other half shopping for a new house to buy this time as I’m fed up with renting & I really want my own big shed to call my Skunk Works home….

I’m also in the hurry up & wait game again.. the new engine is still a couple of weeks away yet & I figured it was time to check out the front studs so I could order the new ones & then wait for them… So it turns out that Bear now offer the brake kit that I have with two length Studs, one set at 2.25” long & the other ARP ones are 3.5”… so I pulled the front brakes off again to check which ones I had, I was sure it would be the 2.25” ones & I was correct..

IMG_2289_zpsxrqlbzre.jpg

I was happy to see that the ones I have are the 2.25” as now I can order the 3.5” from Bear & be confident that the knurl diameter will be correct & they will fit when then turn up… so they have been ordered now..

I had ordered a new set of longer studs for the rear, they were supposed to be for a stock Dodge 8 & ¾ rear end… but when they turned up they just looked too thin to be honest, so I decided to do what I should have done in the first place & pulled one out to measure up so I can order a set that will fit.. So I removed the rear brake setup & measured the rear studs to see just how long/short they are

IMG_2292_zps2sibx9mc.jpg

The new ones I’ve ordered are definitely a great length… but look too thin…

IMG_2293_zpsnpjrwmtn.jpg

So I got my trusty knockometer & belted out one of the studs, they are so short that I can know them out with the axle still in & then remove them through the access hole that lets you remove the axle retaining nuts..

IMG_2294_zpsd3o3rxvg.jpg

IMG_2295_zpsmkl9osjg.jpg

Yep… way too thin, they slide through the stud hole.. interesting that they are sold as being for a stock rear end…

IMG_2297_zpsazoh08gv.jpg

IMG_2298_zps9p47g06d.jpg

So now I’ve measured the actual knurl diameter that I really need & I have now ordered a new set of longer studs that have the correct knurl diameter, again now it’s a wait to have them delivered..

IMG_2300_zpss9oskzg1.jpg

Part of changing the rear end over from drums to disks means that the old hard brake line need to be thrown away & a new one made that now joins up to the new flexi brake line from the caliper, to this end I made up a set of brackets that will bolt to the diff & will hold the new hardline end that the braided line will join up to

IMG_2301_zpsoyytsej0.jpg

IMG_2303_zpspexwnian.jpg

I’ve also decided that whilst the engine is out & the car is off the road anyway that I should look at finally fitting the protective rubber boots that I have to the hem-joints of the suspension, I know it’s the right thing to do but it will be a bit of a pain to pull the whole front end apart again… but needs must, it is the right thing to do… so the boots will be a tight fit & should be great fun to try & force over the joints whist packed with grease… can’t wait…

IMG_2308_zpsmmqgrbcv.jpg

Joints to be booted are the tie rod ends

IMG_2304_zpsgrdw2eha.jpg

IMG_2305_zpstkvij2fm.jpg

The upper control arms

IMG_2307_zpsxpnuohjk.jpg

& the strut rods

IMG_2306_zpsywtau5yi.jpg

The hydraboost brake set up has turned up & I’m very impressed with it I have to say, it looks like a great piece of engineering.. very well made & finished, so now I call pull the old booster off the firewall & install this with the new master & make up new hard lines to plumb in the brakes & finally finish that off…

IMG_2332_zpshzcv6l9d.jpg

IMG_2333_zpsmf2tx2nc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Loving this thread so much. Love seeing what has been done, and what will be done to one of my dream cars!

I decided one night when I had 30 minutes in the garage to swap out the QA1 shocks that I have up front with the shiny new Fox tuned ones that Hotchkis have had tuned for their TVS kit for the Challenger that I have, a nice simple clean task, just unbolt the old

IMG_2309_zpsbj3i89kn.jpg

Lay the old & new side by side for a pic

IMG_2310_zpsdjgfyeus.jpg

The QA1’s are adjusted by a small knob on the side of the body at the bottom of the shock & the new Fox ones are adjusted by a red dial on the top of the shock, so it’ll be easier to adjust the fronts if I’m out driving as I won’t have to slide under the car..

IMG_2311_zpsxoxql6er.jpg

IMG_2313_zps3bcoprna.jpg

New shocks installed…

IMG_2312_zps81ssw3m1.jpg

Now you may remember from a pic a while back when the engine was first pulled out that there was some rust in the front rail hidden behind the steering box… if you don’t remember, here is another pic of the issue..

IMG_2315_zpsum3mpmhw.jpg

So I removed the steering box again (didn’t document that as I’ve done this before in this thread)

IMG_2317_zpshczqtpwc.jpg

So now I have clear access to it to clean it up & see just how bad this really is…

IMG_2318_zpstc8tjifk.jpg

I scraped all the paint off to get a bit of a clearer idea of just how bad this rust is, it’s interesting to note that this area has been patched before… so given the quality of the work done by previous owners of this car I was starting to get a sinking feeling about what I was going to find here… this is a key structural area of the chassis rail, this is where the shock tower joins the rail, where the lower control arm joins the rail & where the K frame connects to the rail… so in my mind this area is the area that is under the most stress under load…

IMG_2319_zpsccvoimir.jpg

So we cut the face off the rail… it was just full of rust & crap inside…

IMG_2320_zps378actsq.jpg

IMG_2323_zps4n3au8yo.jpg

What I found inside I was not impressed with at all… there is a support brace inside the chassis here that is folded on 4 sides & should be braced to all sides of the inside of the chassis… mine is pretty much nonexistent, completely rusted away

IMG_2321_zpsy9pkjiou.jpg

Also the rust on the inside of the rail has almost eaten through the outside face of the rail… this is really bad… but the car did live in the UK & Ireland for years & the weather is really good for rust there… also the UK use a lot of salt of the roads so that probably didn’t help…

IMG_2322_zpsw5jgabew.jpg

So a lot of head scratching was done in the garage as hard decisions need to be made as to how I fix this… I have the option of trying to treat the rust inside to stop it getting any worse, then try & replace the internal brace section & just patch the side I’ve cut off… this would look good from the outside & would probably fool most people into thinking that was all was good…. I’m not going with this option..

Next option is to cut the whole section of the chassis rail off & fab up a replacement section… nope not doing that either

Luckily unlike my Australia Muscle cars you can actually get parts for these cars new out of the US, so I thought of just buying two new chassis rails for the front, why two… well if I’m going to the effort to replace one then I may as well replace both right? That way I know both are good… so this seemed like the plan.. well for a while…

Whilst having a beer (or 4) & staring at the car on the hoist I started to really notice some things that I’ve never liked… so the inner fender well as the US call it is peppered with holes as people over the years have drilled holes to hold things that are no longer on the car…

IMG_2329_zpspoze2y2g.jpg

IMG_2326_zpsvmwityvt.jpg

Also at some point in the past someone felt that the inspection/access hole cut in this inner was not large enough for whatever job they were doing… so they cut & folded the metal to make their life easier & piss me off at the same time..

IMG_2324_zpslpkxuknl.jpg

Also the reinforced points where the hood hinges attach have been damaged at some point & badly repaired & need to be reworked to hold the weight of the bonnet (which is silly heavy)

IMG_2331_zpsvgo5bpng.jpg

IMG_2330_zpsyvnyflpg.jpg

Also on the driver’s side where the inner well meets the chassis rail is no longer actually connected its floating…

IMG_2325_zpsp7tgg6xo.jpg

& on the passenger’s side its bulged out & is clearly not right…

IMG_2328_zpsm4eapw5e.jpg

So I’ve made a decision to do this properly… hopefully that’s not a shock to anyone now, I like to think that I’m doing this right & making a better car as a result…. So I’ve ordered a set of these….

IMG_2335_zpshg30weyg.jpg

These will replace both chassis rails & all of the front structural metal with shiny new metal… I’ve also ordered new upper & lower radiator supports & the supports that hold the front guards on… so whilst this has now become a bloody big job that will mean unstitching the whole front end & replacing everything structural front of the firewall, I just think I’d not be happy if I did anything less…

Now as I said at the start of this update, I’m having to move soon… so my plan is to just swap out the studs when they get here & put the wheels back on but then stop, so that the car is transportable.. as I have bought a new house & I have new permanent home of the skunk works & the move date is the end of March.. so once I’m in in April then I’ll start to strip the front off the car & hopefully my parts turn up not long after that & then it’ll be a pretty big update to rebuild the whole front end.. & here I present to you my new Skunk Works…

IMG_3066_zpsplad5w62.jpg

IMG_3062_zpsm9ngry16.png

IMG_3061_zpskdd4hmtc.png

It’s 9m deep by 14m long, has aircraft hangar style doors & the walls are 4m high, so it’s got to be close to 7m high in the middle of the roof… I’m not posting pics of the inside as I didn’t take any as it was full of the previous owners stuff when I inspected it, it’s described as an 8 car garage & you could probably squeeze 8 in… but I’ll want shelves, parts storage & some work benches etc….

Loving this thread so much. Love seeing what has been done, and what will be done to one of my dream cars!

Thanks mate... A few big months of updates coming up for you so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Daved_XB wrote: »
    A few big months of updates coming up

Looking forward to that :-)

I’m just back from yet another US trip & in between packing boxes for fast approaching house move I managed to spend an hour in the garage doing something to the car…. So my new ARP long studs turned up from Baer & I so they have now been fitted to the fronts..

These are indeed much longer than the stock studs that the brake kit came with…. To be honest I don’t understand why they ship such short studs as standard with the kit, but never mind… so here you can see the difference in length clearly..

IMG_2336_zpsdetahmqx.jpg

First job after I removed the hubs was to press out the old studs, sadly I don’t own a press… so I went old school & used a vice to push the stud into a socket to get them out

IMG_2337_zpshncvo6nr.jpg

IMG_2338_zpsegbafjw7.jpg

Again I don’t own a press, so I tried to use the vice to install a new longer stud, but that just damaged the stud… luckily I had preempted this & I had ordered 2 extra studs just in case I damaged any during the install, I considered buying a press but it was a Sunday & my favorite tool ship was closed.. also no mechanical shops open, so I decided to try & just pull the new studs in using a wheel nut… this seemed to work fine…

IMG_2339_zps29pec8np.jpg

]IMG_2340_zpsd4vzgmio.jpg

With the brakes back on you can really see the difference, much better now

IMG_2341_zps3kxrnbzw.jpg

Finally with the wheel on there is now heaps of thread exposed for the wheel nut to grip… happy days

IMG_2342_zpsjxqcxxjq.jpg

I’m now running out of time to get things done to the car before I move house at the end of the month, I’m at the F1 GP for the next four days & then more work travel is called for, so I’m hoping that I’ll have the weekend after this one free to swap the rear shocks, swap the rear studs for the new longer studs, install new axle gaskets as I have to remove the axles to install the new studs, make up & install the new rear hard brake lines & modify the emergency brake line to fit the new rear brakes… then the car will be a safe rolling shell again that I can put on a trailer & move to the new skunk works so I can pull the whole front end off to do proper repairs to the chassis rails… the fun never ends….

I wish I had a real update, but I’m just waiting on parts…

The new engine coming along fine, the short block is finished now & it’s just the heads that we are waiting on… then we can run it up on the dyno & see where we are at, unlike the engine in the Ford I’m not chasing mad big numbers here.. somewhere in around 450HP will do me fine.

My intake has been checked & cleaned, I also had it hot jet coated & I think it’s come up a treat… also had the carbs all re-coloured so they look the same, you may remember that the center carb is brand new.. well I’ve had the outers rebuild & re-jetted to match now

Intake_zpsedp9vnpx.jpg

The engine should be done in a week or two now… not that it matters much as the front end sheet metal I think may have gone by boat & not air as they had suggested it would, so I can only imagine that that means many weeks of waiting, I’ll call them tonight & get an update as to where they are & how long realistically the wait is going to be…

Other than that this weekend will be spent packing up the garage for the big move next week to my new house & the new permanent home of the Skunk Works… it’s a sad reflection of my sickness to continually work on my cars that only one of the 4 muscle cars will be able to be driven to the new house… everything else must be trailered, well one is at the panel beaters still so I can’t feel bad about that I guess…

Also because of my sickness & the fact I have no parts to play with my mind has been free to wander & wonder on what to do next & I’ve been doing a lot of research into a Gear Vendors Over/Under Drive unit to bolt behind the 727 in the Challenger now.. this would convert my 3 speed auto into a 6 speed auto by giving me an overdrive for each of the 3 gears…. I’m most interested in just the final overdrive & the reduction in RPM’s that that will give me cruising on the highway. Today with the 3.55 gears in the diff the car runs at just under 2900 RPM at the speedlimit & that gives some very crappy gas mileage & on long drives Mr’s XB doesn’t find the load exhaust as intoxicating as I do.. so dropping about 800RPM’s at that speed would not be a bad thing at all….

Wow… it feels like it’s been forever since I had an update to share… now the last few weeks as well as the usual work & travel that I have distracting me for playing with my cars I also moved house…. This was entraining in a way that only house moving can be & then there was unpacking & things in the new house not quiet to Mrs XB’s liking etc… so I’m only now ready to start on this project again…

The house move was easy, the garage one not so much…. Moving the car was easy enough just needed a trailer.. well there was one little hiccup.. when I pulled the door handle nothing happened… made no snapping or breaking noise just did nothing, I thought this was odd as it had only worked the night before

IMG_2651_zpsyiw4j09h.jpg

Still the passenger side still worked so just rolled down the driver’s window & used the inside latch to open the door…. One more thing to add to the list… but other than that all went well

5CC198F7-7772-4EA3-A2AD-35775E7156FC_zpsexpvpzzq.jpg

The hoist was more fun shall we say… luckily I have some good mates & one had a crane truck we could use to pick it up in one piece & move it to the new house…

0B2CD3E2-35B6-45A5-8FE9-09DC470CA795_zpsbo47mrb1.jpg

1EFCD839-430B-43C7-B876-0E6EA228330F_zpsoajv9yne.jpg

Sadly whilst the new Skunk works is more than big enough for the hoist the garage at the front of the house it had to pass through was not….. this meant we had to dismantle it in my drive way & then use my go-jacks to roll the parts down & into the new shed to be re-assembled

17633A70-7599-46B5-9F77-311C3E76DD69_zpslvfugnhx.jpg

B1BE2BE3-8B13-4AC2-ACCE-86D9F4F36281_zpssmvxljhd.jpg

04544D15-156C-44D8-AD12-CB0B5B059749_zpsiown3w0l.jpg

AD870AF7-528F-4D45-AA06-DAC8747C0AAE_zpsw6aq7yh3.jpg

DD22854C-1643-445B-B7C4-5D15250C68D5_zpsnt5pboqg.jpg

Having to dismantle the hoist & move it around has made me extra happy that I’m now a home owner & not a renter… so it’ll be bolted permanently into the Skunk Works & never moved again…. But it’s in now, as is 90% of my stuff.. just one more XB shell & some spare panels & interiors to come from a mates place yet…

IMG_2648_zpsosbxepfv.jpg

IMG_2647_zpsfacs4h1v.jpg

SO the Challenger is back in its natural habitat… on the hoist…

IMG_2650_zpsepf1s7aq.jpg

First job in the new garage, fix the now newly broken door handle…. I’ve never removed the door cards before but I had always noted that nearly all the screws attaching it are different… first set are metal self tappers…. Probably not Dodge installed…

IMG_2652_zpsvyss35qi.jpg

IMG_2653_zpsuer29uby.jpg

The bolts that attach the internal handle & the door lock are very specific & I’m just happy that they at least seem to be legit

IMG_2655_zpslyhb3iy8.jpg

IMG_2654_zps6mslhmo4.jpg

IMG_2656_zpstkyglpkr.jpg

I’ve always wondered why my remote adjust mirror has never works… well ok I haven’t I always knew what I was going to find here…. Someone cut the adjuster wires…

IMG_2658_zpsxhejf1dn.jpg

]IMG_2659_zps98mkg23u.jpg

I guess I’ll order a replacement set & fix that now… just unsure if I should keep the mirrors body coloured or get the chrome ones…

When I pulled the door card off this worm drive clip fell to the floor…. Not sure if that was in there holding something important in place or if it was just ballast to provide a better weight distribution… I’ve gone with the latter & left it out until something else stops working & I find out what it was really doing in there..

IMG_2661_zpsgcqwnh44.jpg

Turns out nothing on the door handle was actually broken the connecting rod had simply popped out… so that was a nice 2 sec fix…

IMG_2662_zpsizamalhe.jpg

IMG_2665_zpsyesk71gy.jpg

Then it was time to open up the new boxes of goodies that I had had delivered the other week…. These were by far the biggest ever car part boxes I’ve even seen… best part of 9 foot long…

IMG_2667_zpsptcgww3d.jpg

And what was in the massive box I hear you ask….. why a smaller box of course…. Not really sure why they couldn’t have just shipped 2 of the smaller boxes….

IMG_2668_zps2fr3doqh.jpg

IMG_2669_zps0pa9gg36.jpg

And what’s in the slightly smaller boxes that came in the huge boxes… well I’m guessing you read the description on the side… my shiny new chassis rail leg/inner fender sheet metal..

IMG_2670_zpsswpycswj.jpg

IMG_2671_zpsw8iowayl.jpg

Now I have no idea why, but the one pictured above came coated in weld through primer, yet the other side came in just the old thin black paint you normally see panels painted in…

IMG_2672_zpss5poi9lh.jpg

I also ordered replacement upper & lower rad support panels as my lower one has been bashed about a fair bit & the upper one has some extra speed holes drilled in it for god knows what that is no longer installed in the car…

IMG_2673_zpsq6apznjz.jpg

IMG_2674_zpseum9zrm5.jpg

So now she sits on the hoist for me to start to dismantle the front end, hopefully I’ll get a few hours one night this week & some time on the weekend to have a good crack at getting everything that’s bolted on the front end off…

IMG_2666_zpsdazayleh.jpg

I know that removing all the brakes & suspension bits will be easy as they are all new & I put them all on…. The front panels will be more of a challenge as all the nuts & bolts underneath are well coated in shultz & I’ll have to try & get a wire wheel in to clean off the threads so I can get them all undone…. I suspect that this will probably bugger a lot of them so I’ll look to order replacements for all of them when I’m putting her back together…

IMG_2676_zps1clyncwr.jpg

IMG_2677_zpsjrk4ijve.jpg

Perhaps of more concern is that all the top bolts that hold the front fenders on are also painted… over… so I’ll have to cut the paint where the bolt/washers join the fender to minimize the cracking damage to the paint when I undo them… again all new hardware will be needed I suspect when reassembling begins..

IMG_2679_zpshvr1rpxn.jpg

IMG_2680_zps1n9ruyer.jpg

IMG_2681_zpssipcguky.jpg

Well that’s it for now… back up to date again, hopefully I can get the front end off by the weekend & then get my panel guy to come over & help unstitch the chassis legs & inner fender panels… never done a job this big before… so wish me luck…

So this turned up during the week…. I’m very excited now & it will definitely push me to get my arse into gear to get the chassis rails sorted so I can get to installing this…. I have brand new Dougs headers to go on & my Alt is almost brand new too, but now looking at my old filthy power steering pump, I’m sure that that has to go & be replaced by a nice new shiny one… be a shame to start bolting crappy old parts to the front of this…

IMG_2686_zpsemltncpo.jpg

IMG_2685_zpsklegznjd.jpg

I have started to pull the brakes & suspension off, it’s a lot easier to remove the new parts this time that it was to remove the originals when I swapped them… having the hoist so the car is at chest height is a major bonus for my back too…

IMG_2684_zpsvzplxz3c.jpg

IMG_2687_zpsedhcjjlq.jpg

I couldn’t use my ball joint splitter as the design of the upper arm is such that it can’t grip it, so I used the old knockometer method, so some touch up paint will be needed for the spindle knuckles

IMG_2682_zpsslrsqyzi.jpg

IMG_2683_zpshon7fm7t.jpg

Sadly progress stopped last night when I got to this point…

IMG_2684_zpsvzplxz3c.jpg

IMG_2688_zpsgtiooya0.jpg

I can go no further right now as the new thicker torsion bars I had fitted are too thick for my removal tool to work with… I couldn’t find 4 longer bolts that had the right thread pitch, I wasn’t willing to use a vicegrips & a hammer on them.. so play stopped until I can get to a hardware store on the weekend & get the correct bolts so I can get the bars out..

IMG_2689_zpsglice6e9.jpg

I’ve also ordered a complete set of new fastners, nuts, bolts, screws etc.. for everything that I’m removing, so when she goes back together it will truly be an all new front end…

I got a few hours on the weekend to spend some time in the garage pulling the front end off…. All things being equal this actually went quiet well, there was only 1 bolt that snapped off, only 1 that needed to be cut off & only 1 part that made me want to kill the person that assembled this car last….

So first up I went & got some longer bolts for my torsion bar removal tool, so that it would fit on the thicker bars I have installed now…

IMG_2690_zps8t5y6vhx.jpg

Once the tool is on & tightened up, just smack it with a hammer… only after you have removed the retaining clip from the rear of the bar of course… & it should just slide out nicely..

IMG_2691_zpst13t2s1k.jpg

IMG_2692_zpswgvnhkwl.jpg

Once they were out the rest of the lower suspension was a breeze to remove as it’s all so new & still well-greased…

IMG_2693_zpsimsbqckd.jpg

The pile of parts is building up now..

IMG_2694_zps6moyjqyy.jpg

With the upper arms removed now the last bit to come off was the K-Frame itself… I expected this to be a big job as I figured the bolts would never want to move… there are 4 big bolts that hold the frame to the chassis legs & one tiny bolt that attaches up to the lower rad support.. that bold snapped as soon as I touched it with the socket… luckily I have a new lower rad support to go on so I don’t need to even bother to drill out the section of the bolt left in the captive nut..

IMG_2695_zps0eot5dmp.jpg

IMG_2696_zpsundnluit.jpg

I’d soaked the 4 K-Frame bolts with penetration fluid the night before, so I was hoping that these wouldn’t be a bugger to remove… I slid the transmission jack under the frame to take the weight & got the rattle gun out…. All 4 came undone with little fuss, just needed to wait for the compressor to give full charge to the gun to get the bolts cracked off… happy days I had images of me spending an hour under here heating he bolts & busting my gut to get the frame off.. but it was really a piece of cake… happy days…

IMG_2697_zps5n69jlbr.jpg

IMG_2698_zpsdbuirzlc.jpg

IMG_2699_zpsszhono4f.jpg

• Advertisement

IMG_2700_zps1gjmbmne.jpg

IMG_2701_zps1zwdoude.jpg

Now with that off the parts pile is almost getting too big for my table now…

IMG_2704_zpsjalyge7u.jpg

IMG_2703_zpsoakk4vpc.jpg

IMG_2702_zpsqtpm1mzb.jpg

Next up was the bumpers, the 4 bolts came off fairly easy.. I have 4 new bolts to replace them so I would have been happy to cut them off if needed, but again perhaps it was just the soaking with wd-40 that I’ve given them the night before, but this all came apart way easier than I had any right to expect..

IMG_2709_zpsezb2sef9.jpg

The grille was pop-riveted on in one corner so I’ll look to fix that during the re-assembly process

IMG_2707_zps7dekeucf.jpg

IMG_2706_zpszfnoqjh2.jpg

When I went to remove the bumper horns (not sure what they really call them) I noticed that the bolts had a lot of wear damage, not sure if it was just from them moving around over the years or if they were being eaten by rust or a combo of the two

IMG_2708_zpsoaedccbl.jpg

Advertisement