Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shinshin14

1966 wrote: »
    Hi all - another day nearly over & no temptations or slip ups to report.

Day 11 completed and no major snags so far Went for a q

Just back from Tesco and was looking for stuff when girl carrying beautiful little baby stood beside me looking for whatever and the first thing I noticed was the smell of fags off her
    God I thought to myself I would never have noticed that before and no doubt I probably smelt just the same / worse. Only reporting this observation cause these little things I think will/could keep me going !!

Good luck.

Day 11 and still smoke free thank God, Went for a 10 min walk today. It was great to get out in the fresh air - and my first walk since before Christmas.

1966 I can relate to your experience re the stinking smell of smokers except that I was the smoker . Sat beside a woman on bus one day and she cringed from the strench of stale tobacco from me. I could even smell it myself . During the journey I was humiliated and disgusted with myself and went down stairs and stood in the aisle.

However when I got off the bus I habitually lit up forgetting all that had occured on the bus. Just shows how my nictotine addiction could overide all my rational reasoning and emotions.

Thank God I 'm on day 11 and planning to remain a non smoker tomorrow There can be no going back for me .I must stay strong , and focus on my objective and be on my guard - even if I am only taking it one day at a time.

Congrats to you all on your progress so far - your posts motivate me to keep on track. Special thanks to all those long term ex smokers - your support and advice is so helpful.

Roll on tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dalan

All these days mounting up for so many quitters - it's great to know!

When I started this quit back on 26th December, I didn't really have much confidence that it could become something that would stick. That's different now - I am starting to see myself making the choice day by day not to put nicotine into my body... Thanks to all on this board who are helping it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

Whoop Day 10 and made it into double figures :D Next aim is to make it into the treble figures!

Funny day today...after work craving was nowhere to be seen which was brilliant. But in its' place I got one round 8ish, just as well I was en route to the gym when it hit.

Am finding that the days are all just gelling into one another now at this stage, but in saying that I still havent had a drink so I know now that is my next major hurdle. So glad I didnt go down the nicotine replacement route as the fact that I have none left in my system is helping to keep my going.

Fair play to everyone who's still going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 38 taldar

Hi all

Been reading these posts all week, I am on day 9 today cold turkey. Last week was really tough but definitely getting easier to handle this week. Eating like a horse though! Ha, dont mind for a week or two though, then will get back to fitness.

Keep posting as it keeps us all going..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

For anyone thinking of giving up smoking or for those off them, this picture gave me a massive boost to firstly get off the cigarettes and stay off.

http://i28.tinypic.com/15wgos5.jpg

EDIT: It's too big to embed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Great to see all of you still on board! Its fantastic how at the beginning all you can think of is smoking and counting the hours etc since your last cigarette. Its an obsession and then...all of a sudden the days begin to add up and you begin to amaze yourself at how long you've managed without them!

.....and it just gets better and easier! Having said that always always be very strict on yourself when you do get a craving. Never let your guard down. You don't know whether that one little cigarette is the one that will get you back smoking full time again so just don't risk it. You've come such a long way already!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

48hrs...

dolliemix wrote: »
    Great to see all of you still on board! Its fantastic how at the beginning all you can think of is smoking and counting the hours etc since your last cigarette. Its an obsession and then...all of a sudden the days begin to add up and you begin to amaze yourself at how long you've managed without them!

.....and it just gets better and easier! Having said that always always be very strict on yourself when you do get a craving. Never let your guard down. You don't know whether that one little cigarette is the one that will get you back smoking full time again so just don't risk it. You've come such a long way already!

Feel much better healthwise and going back to by old habit is not an option for me. My skin. hair , and diet has improved. That horribl e coating on my tongue and dry mouth is gone and my bronchal infection has cleared. This is much better than any perceived benefit that I would get from dragging on a filthy cigarette . Even if I brainwashed myself to beleived that it had done me good the "benefit" would go once I finished the cigarette and the craving would start again to light an other .

No thanks been there , done that and have the health problems to prove it. Looking forward to getting home tomorrow from work smoke free

Ye have mastered going back to work after the break well done so its my turn now to show my metal.

12 days smoke free for me thank God. Roll on tomorrow.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    48hrs...

Keep it up Sardonicat. Go for day 3 you can do it.

If I can do it so far anyone can . Don't beleive me read my posts and you will see how addicted I am .

We're all in the one boat here and so far we're still afloat - lets keep it that way !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 stella09

well done everyone!

im feeling really good about myself at the mo and hoping yer feeling the same! I really cant believe I have gotten this far! I have mastered d car... this morning I didnt reach for my bag for the search! haha..:D
    Boards is gettin me through work, working in a bookies on my own all day so thats where I chain smoked.. Today i really think im over the whole obsession with them stinking things! i know im only on day 5 but I have a real good feelin, im not eating rings around me which I thought I would defo be doin!
    Only thing im not doin is excercise, brought the lil lad to fun factory and im so unfit not even funny! so thats next on my agenda!
    Molly77 - iv figured dont think bout the future (without the cigs) i find now if i jus say get through today my girl you'll be doin great!! ;) and also change your routine my mornings are completly backwards now! :pac: it does help!

Keep up the great work everyone! and thanks for the support.. xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭molly77

stella09 wrote: »
    well done everyone!

im feeling really good about myself at the mo and hoping yer feeling the same! I really cant believe I have gotten this far! I have mastered d car... this morning I didnt reach for my bag for the search! haha..:D
    Boards is gettin me through work, working in a bookies on my own all day so thats where I chain smoked.. Today i really think im over the whole obsession with them stinking things! i know im only on day 5 but I have a real good feelin, im not eating rings around me which I thought I would defo be doin!
    Only thing im not doin is excercise, brought the lil lad to fun factory and im so unfit not even funny! so thats next on my agenda!
    Molly77 - iv figured dont think bout the future (without the cigs) i find now if i jus say get through today my girl you'll be doin great!! ;) and also change your routine my mornings are completly backwards now! :pac: it does help!

Keep up the great work everyone! and thanks for the support.. xx
    Thanks Stella, ur doing great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Hi everyone- day 11 for me. Must admit I had a "wobbly" feeling last night & did think about the auld ciggies for a while but TG nothing came of it.

Went fine during the day today so hopefully
    I think if I can master those moments when I think about just one little tiny itsy bitsy sneaky one, I should be fine !

Hope everyone else onboard here is doing OK ;)

Hi everyone
    Day 13 I am hanging in there just about. I think this week has been harder than last, still would love a fag, hate been like that:mad:.

anyone any more tips.

its flip in hard habit to kick
    Day 14 tomorrow 2 weeks gone by, they flew though,
    best of luck guys

72 hours...
    Withdrawals today, getting tough.:(

"One day at a time."

I'm envious of those of you who have managed 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month etc. Any of you at those landmarks getting "wobbly" think of me and my withdrawals wishing I had got as far as you. You're doing really well, don't undo all that hard work and willpower now 'cos you'll have to go through it all again.

This is the LAST time I'm going through this.

Keep going everyone:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

molly77 wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    Day 13 I am hanging in there just about. I think this week has been harder than last, still would love a fag, hate been like that:mad:.

anyone any more tips.

best of luck guys

Molly, you're doing great! :)

My 2 tricks for cravings are as follows:

1) As sardonicat says above, I keep telling myself that I'm not going through the withdrawal again and as such can never smoke again
    2) I use my non-smoker friends as a benchmark....if they can function happily without cigarettes, then so can I

You've gotten this far and have proven that the will is there so don't let a moments weakness wreck it now.

Best of luck hun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Just short of two years off the fags having smoked 2 or 3 boxes of Major per day for many years.

My suggestion for success? Shorten the planning horizon for yourselves. Forget about stuff like "I'll never smoke again" and focus on something specified in positive terms and more manageable and measurable like "I'll stay smoke-free from now until 11:00 o'clock". At 11:00 o'clock make another goal like "I'll stay smoke-free from now until 11:30 / 12:00 o'clock". Over time the planning horizon can be lengthened as you chalk up more success.

Best of luck. You're worth the effort.

Hi everyone

anyone any more tips.

best of luck guys

Molly

You are doing great. I know , I had one of those days myself today - the first since I gave up on New years day.
    Was under pressure today at times with workload as it was my first day back since Christmas Eve and I had loose ends to tidy up and tons of emails to deal with. Went in an hour earlier to get a headstart before my colleagues came in so as not to put myself under pressure,- It helped.

The fags crossed my mind several times today. While it wasn't a pang or craving it was a bit of self doubt not about my ability to stay off them today - when confronted with the real world.

Kept wondering would something happen as a trigger to make me reverse my decision in a moment of madness. I kept re-enforcing myself with positive thoughts - my reason for quitting and how much better I would be as a non smoker, and how I would feel afterwards if I smoked. That sinking feeling of yet another lapse that I have come to hate .The horrible taste in my mouth in the morning,the stale smell of tobacco and how it would lower my self esteem.

However, most of all I thought of all ye on the board and our postings and how that I wasn't on my own . Nobody was finding it a sinche and we were all going through various withdrawl symptoms with good days and bad. If gave in I would weaken the chain and this could effect the moral of our team .

I kept saying to myself" I can do it for today - whats so different than any other day that I've been off them so far? I'm just in a different environment but there is the same amount of hours today as yesterday."

As the day went on my resolve strenthened and by late afternon I didn't think about my dilemna anymore . I knew once I left work I was home and dry and that nothing could make me smoke tonight. Came home and instead of chain smoking with a fag for every chore, I came home thrilled that I had gone back to work and was still smoke free. Getting ready for day 14 tomorrow and then the weekend when I hope to do a bit of walking.and put this weeks savings into my jar.- another €59.85

Finally, thanks for all the support on the board . The weekend is here and though that can bring its own challenges at least we're not at work and have more free time to relax. Keep it going .

Hi everyone

anyone any more tips.

best of luck guys

Well done Molls for not giving in today.

The thread you started has given a lot of support to a lot of people - hope you can get something back to keep going, day at a time...

I've had a lot of help and information from a site called whyquit.com - they have a message board called 'Freedom' with a thread called Relapse Prevention. They don't use the word fag though - means something else in US!;)

One idea they have is you can't think about having ONE fag; it won't be one fag, will it realistically, it'll be loads of them, full return to what you were smoking three weeks ago. You did so well to put that behind you....

14 Day hi everyone

Ok after reading all ur posts this morning, gave me great motivation to keep going so thanks a million to u guys.

SnoozyS thanks for tip,:)
    Mathepac u were as bad as me for the fags, well done u, thanks for info.
    Shinshin14 that is great advice what so different about today than another day giving up.
    Dalan have been reading whyquit gud information on it

Ok guys week 3 tomorrow, i am not giving in yet:P
    Thanks everyone for ur support its much appreciated.
    Total 14 days
    Fags didnt smoke = 560 imagine that
    saved = € 240 Holiday Kenya :):):):):):):):):)

Summary if i had,nt you guys for support i would definitely back on de FAGS THANK U All x

4 days :D

mathepac, that was excellent advice, got me through today. Will be using the short term, positve goal system from now on.

Molly, well done you!

• Advertisement

14 Day hi everyone

Ok after reading all ur posts this morning, gave me great motivation to keep going so thanks a million to u guys.

SnoozyS thanks for tip,:)
    Mathepac u were as bad as me for the fags, well done u, thanks for info.
    Shinshin14 that is great advice what so different about today than another day giving up.
    Dalan have been reading whyquit gud information on it

Ok guys week 3 tomorrow, i am not giving in yet:P
    Thanks everyone for ur support its much appreciated.
    Total 14 days
    Fags didnt smoke = 560 imagine that
    saved = € 240 Holiday Kenya :):):):):):):):):)

Summary if i had,nt you guys for support i would definitely back on de FAGS THANK U All x

Well done Molly you got over a big hump today. Hope you don't have hard days like yesterday too much longer. Here's another page on Freedom was and is a big help for me... http://ffn.yuku.com/topic/12331

Well done all who are keeping with the plan! Thanks Shinnners especially for your inspiration!

Hi guys - tonights the night for me - have to go to a party and this will be my first night EVER without a ciggie apart from both occasions I was pregnant when I managed the whole 9 months - without flinching - so I am not looking fwd to it.

Oh hell - but cant become a hermit i suppose.

Hope all is well out there with everyone else !!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

First time posting in the 'giving up smoking' forum...

I'm fcuking gasping help!!!!! I'm off the smokes since the 2nd... First night out tonite since then, and I'm contemplating on bailing cause I know I'll cave and smoke.

I've been smoking on and off for 6/7 years, but I really want to stop for good this time. Of course, it's getting harder to quit every time(was off them for 8 months at the longest stage).

Basically I'm having mad cravings today, and I'd love a cigarette!!:(

I'm fcuking gasping help!!!!! I'm off the smokes since the 2nd... First night out tonite since then, and I'm contemplating on bailing cause I know I'll cave and smoke.

I've been smoking on and off for 6/7 years, but I really want to stop for good this time. Of course, it's getting harder to quit every time(was off them for 8 months at the longest stage).

you & me both but being a lifelong smoker I think I have been conditioned to feel that a drink and a fag go hand in hand and no doubt i always enjoy one more when I'm having a jar but have been telling myself all day that I should be able to go out & enjoy myself without one. In my favour tbh my OH doesn't smoke & our circle of smoking friends has all but diminished & I lately felt like the only weirdo still at it !!!

Go on - go for it - all you can do is try.

Enjoy your night whatever happens.

Hi ya Clikityclak wellcome. O hang in there dont give in now, I was like that de other day. I know well how u feel. read over some posts here, that helped me a lot. It will get better, stay strong and dont let de little feckers get u again ok Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

Thanks guys ya I had a read through and there's some good tips. Just gotta stay strong and avoid the smoking area(ppl heading out tonite are mostly smokers), might just be propping up the bar a bit longer! If I can get through tonight it's a major step!!

I'll let ye know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Just saw this thread and I thought I would drop in and tell ye all to hang in there , the worst is over.

I was 60 major a day for decades and I will be 4 years free come February 12th, Best decision and greatest achiement of my life.

What can I say to encourage you ??

1 short term goals all the time, A day at at time.

2 The worst is behind you

3 If the craving comes keep saying the mildest toothache or earache is worse than this and I can beat it.

4 I have come to far to give up now - get angry

Worked for me . Good luck mes ami

5 days :D

Easy day today.

I find posting on here each day really helpful, 'cos I've got a goal to aim for each day.

Keep it up, folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi Everyone!
    I have been following this post and am preparing to become a member of this "Club" on Monday. I have a week off work (!) and will be away from my tempting buddies so it seems like a good time to try. (Plus I can spend some time in bed reading and wont be in the kitchen which is where I always smoke!)
    I had a bad experience three and a half years ago. I stayed of the smokes for 12 weeks but could not come to terms with it. I knew it was the right thing to do but ciggaretts and smoking totally dominated my mind all the time:mad: I actually thought I was cracking up. So I went back on them and it made me very apprehensive about trying again. But I think (hope and pray) that I am ready to try this again.
    I am planning on using an e-ciggarette to get me over the hump. It's a vapour ciggie that creates "smoke", gives you something to drag on and have with your tea/coffee etc, but its not a ciggarette.There is a thread her on Boards all about it and people seem to be having huge success with it. You can use a nicotine favoured liquid (or several other flavours such as menthol etc) and, as I hope to do, graduate down to just the vapour itself. It's odourless (so no more stinky breath, hair, clothes and kitchen) and you can actually smoke it inside in pubs/cafes etc as it is smoke free.
    I will let you all know how this attempt goes for me and/or you can check out the thread on here.
    Wish me luck!!

• Advertisement

Shazanne wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!
    I have been following this post and am preparing to become a member of this "Club" on Monday. I have a week off work (!) and will be away from my tempting buddies so it seems like a good time to try. (Plus I can spend some time in bed reading and wont be in the kitchen which is where I always smoke!)
    I had a bad experience three and a half years ago. I stayed of the smokes for 12 weeks but could not come to terms with it. I knew it was the right thing to do but ciggaretts and smoking totally dominated my mind all the time:mad: I actually thought I was cracking up. So I went back on them and it made me very apprehensive about trying again. But I think (hope and pray) that I am ready to try this again.
    I am planning on using an e-ciggarette to get me over the hump. It's a vapour ciggie that creates "smoke", gives you something to drag on and have with your tea/coffee etc, but its not a ciggarette.There is a thread her on Boards all about it and people seem to be having huge success with it. You can use a nicotine favoured liquid (or several other flavours such as menthol etc) and, as I hope to do, graduate down to just the vapour itself. It's odourless (so no more stinky breath, hair, clothes and kitchen) and you can actually smoke it inside in pubs/cafes etc as it is smoke free.
    I will let you all know how this attempt goes for me and/or you can check out the thread on here.
    Wish me luck!!
    Best of Luck, keep posting

Advertisement