Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tips on applying as a Mature Student

• 09-09-2009 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I’ve decided to write up some tips on what to do when applying as a mature student which should help people along their way.

I wasn’t successful in getting a place ANYWHERE the first time I applied but this year I was offered my first choice (TCD), and second (Uni. Of Ulster) and third (UCD) choices. Don’t take everything I say as set in stone for getting a place at college (my course is health science related), but this is what I did….

Know the course you are applying for

Know what you will study – sounds stupid but sometimes people don’t know the course and what its modules entail before they choose a course. (If you’re going to do med, you will work on cadavers so get used to that idea!)

• How many years the course is – 2, 3, 4+

• How many places – is the class big or a small one, and especially for mature students, how much competition will you have for a place? Does the course have any places reserved for mature students?

• What the outcome of a degree/diploma will get you – work opportunities, add-on courses, post-grad options?

• Will you have to pay fees?

The college/university website is a good place to start. It will give you lists of the courses and also have a mature student section. Order a prospectus. I know, I know, save the trees but having a hard copy is easier to refer to and make notes on etc. Some colleges have separate Mature Student Handbooks (like UCD).

The mature student section on the website should tell you what is expected of a mature student application –

• Whether you apply through the CAO or directly to the college, or in some cases both.

• Give links to application forms.

• Detail supplementary documents needed such as CV, exam results, personal statement etc.

• Application deadline – usually 1st February every year if through CAO. When applying directly to the college it may be different. Check with the college. Some colleges take late applications but like anybody who is late, it does not give a good first impression.

• If a MSAP aptitude test is required for the course (usually Arts and Social Sciences) or a HPAT. Check closing date for application for this.
    For any queries, contact the admissions office, department head or mature student office. Emailing has worked fine for me.

Go to any Open Days/Evenings and get as much info on the course as you can. Speak to lecturers and students. Have a bunch of questions written down that you can ask them. This is your opportunity to find out info that might not be in the prospectus – about the work load, timetable, placements, good/bad modules etc., social life, clubs etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Now that you know what supplementary documents you need for your course application, get working on it straight away.

****Applying for a place as a mature student is pretty much the same as applying for a new job. Always remember that you are in competition with, in some cases, hundreds of applicants. You have to make your application the best it can be and one which will make the selectors want you on their course. And due to the ‘current climate’ you can bet there will be a huge increase in mature student applicants for 2010 entry. Competition will be fierce.***

CV

Like any CV for a job, make the CV suit the course you are applying for. Focus mainly on any details which are relevant to the course you are applying to. Don’t have the CV overloaded with information (such as hobbies/interests/achievements) as you get a chance to explain experience etc. in your personal statement and application forms. I would use it to big up educational info and work experience. Limit it to two pages, shorter if possible. The CV is used as a time line of your experience since leaving school – this is my experience from interviews.

Examination Results

Along with your Junior/Leaving Certificate results and any 3rd Level course results, include any training certificates etc. Obviously if you’ve done a course in flower arranging and now wanting to go into business, unless you’re planning on opening a florist after, I’d leave that one out.

Just a little side note on Education (okay not that little):

As I’ve stated before, I got rejected the first time I applied for my course. I wrote to the three Heads of Department and asked what area of my application was the weakest. Two replied, both saying my level of education let me down – I had sat my leaving certificate 8 years ago and the course I went on to do after school was Art related with very little academic element to it. To fix this, I went and enrolled in an Access course at UCD. The subjects taught were at Leaving Certificate level and the aim of the course was to prepare me for 3rd level education. Access courses are new enough in Ireland, I think, but are very common in the UK.

Now, just because my lack of education hindered me in getting a place, it could be different for you and your course. Everyone’s application is different. I would advise contacting admissions or the Head of Department or whoever is in charge of mature student applications and giving them a quick rundown of your work and education experience and see if you need to add to it.

There are plenty of 1 year courses out there that can prepare you for college. Most universities have access courses attached to them in some form. And there are also plenty of FETAC courses usually run by PLC colleges, some with direct links to universities, available to suit your interests. You may even decide to take the Leaving Certificate again, or for the first time!

(I am glad that I didn’t get offered a place first time around as I think I would have been lost at uni. Doing the access course has given me lots of confidence about my academic ability to start the course this year.)

Personal Statement

This IS the biggy. You need to get this one right. This is where you get a chance to sell yourself properly. This is the hardest part of the application. Is it too long? Is it too short? Have I spent too much time talking about this? Do I need to speak about that? Is it too moany?

When I was writing mine out I stated:

• Why I wanted to do the course

• What influence me to do the course/go back to education

• What work experience/voluntary work has helped me build up the skills to be successful in the ‘new’ career – be it working in the same/similar sector or taking up work experience/volunteering some way related to the course.

• Any courses (full/part time) which relate to the course to show how you can cope with workloads.

• Interests and Hobbies which relate to the course.

• Your hopes for the future after you graduate.

The best thing to do is get someone else to proof read it for you. Ask them to be brutal. But choose the person wisely who will do this. I found www.thestudentroom.com a great source for information/examples of personal statements and they have a facility where you post up your personal statement and advisors (who are students on courses or past students on your course area) read over the statement and give you advice on what to change/add to your statement. (done privately so no ned to worry).

I guess the average length would be a page and a half but mine ended up being just over two pages!

It was recommended by a member of a university admissions office to make your personal statement ‘quite’ soppy. But be careful not to be too over the top. No-one likes a whinge or a lick arse.

Work Experience & Voluntary work

This is also a very important part of your application. Having gone to observe people at work in the area of interest is a huge plus for your application. It shows you know what you are getting yourself in for and that you’ve made an effort to find out as much as you can about the profession. It can be very difficult to get work experience – people don’t have the time these days, insurance etc. Speaking to someone by telephone rather than email/letter is best. It is much harder for someone to say no to you while on the other end of the phone. Put the message out to your family and friends that you are looking for work experience and get them to spread the word. You never know who knows who!

Voluntary work is easy to get and looked upon favourably especially if you are applying for a health or social care course. Not many people like to work for free but most volunteer work is fun and it doesn’t need to take up a lot of your time. 1-3 hours one day a week might be all you need to do. There are many places to help out – community centres, Youthreach, nursing homes, soup kitchens, charity shops, meals on wheels.

References

I followed UCD’s application procedure for all universities I applied to and gave 3 references/letter of recommendation – one academic, one work related and one other (another academic). Try to have your references from your most recent work/education. Referees with titles - the higher the better. Remember, treat this like a job application – having a reference from the department manager is better than your supervisor. If you can, ask the referee can you give them a sample letter of what you would like them to include in the letter. I think most people are used to this and prefer it as it gives them an idea of what you want written. Be polite about it though!

Completing your application

N.B. Give yourself plenty of time to complete your application. After Christmas, the deadline comes around pretty quick! I’d start getting things organised now if possible. Things like getting references, certified copies of exam results can take time. And the personal statement will be the bane of your life for the next few months!

Make a checklist of everything you need and double/treble check you have everything. I would photocopy EVERYTHING that you send to each college (this will help you prepare for your interview later on).

Do your CAO application on-line. I found it is easier not to make a mistake or leave things out. Go through it slowly and read every line. Have someone help you if you are a bit scared of the computers/on-line forms.

It gives you sections to write about why you want to do the course (this is space to write your personal statement) and also another section to write up a CV and give work experience details. This section only allows you 1,000 characters or something like that. Instead, write: see postal documents. I posted off my CV, personal statement along with my examination results no problem.

Mark all documents you send with your name and CAO number clearly. And make sure you tick the Mature Student Applicant box.

You usually have to send a copy of everything to the CAO plus the college you are applying to so make sure everything is organised. I paper-clipped everything so it wasn’t mixed up or sections lost. Depending on how many different colleges you are applying to and how many courses, you can end up with a pile of papers to be sent off.

Making your choices is the tough part but if you have researched the different colleges you should know which one is your first choice. You can change your choices up until March but after that you cannot add any restricted courses (mature student courses and courses which require portfolios/interviews etc.)

If you get your application in before a certain time in January, you get a discount of €10. ;)

Like any interview: if you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Remember the photocopies of your application? Get them out and read over your CV, personal statements and other forms. You’d be surprised how much you’d forget (interviews usually start at the end of March and go on through till June, depending on the course). If the interviewer asks you a question about a statement you made in your application, you want to know what you were talking about!

Have a good night sleep the night before and know where the interview is being held. Aim to get there early in case of mishaps along the way.

Wear something smart but comfortable. I don’t think it is necessary to wear a full suit and tie. They do tend to keep the interviews informal. I wore a suit the first year I applied and I wasn’t comfortable in it at all. The second time round I wore a smart dress and cardigan with flat shoes. Make a bit of effort (clean and tidy) but not over the top (too much make-up, aftershave etc).

What will they ask you……?

They won’t be out to trick you with the questions. They’ll want to know how much thought and research you have put into doing the course you have chosen.
    What I was asked and what I have heard of others being asked:
    • What have you been up to since you finished school in 2000?
    • What do you know about the profession? Give examples of the different areas.
    • Tell me about what you know about the course?
    • What made you decide to do the course?
    • How do you think you will cope with many students in the class a lot younger than you?
    • Do you think your previous work experience/career will help you with this course? Do you see any links between them?
    • How will you support yourself financially?
    • The placements will require you to work during holidays and summer breaks, will you be able to cope with that?
    • It has been a few years since you were in education. How do you think you will cope with the workload?
    • There is a shortage of jobs in the area at the moment, how do you feel about that?

If you have prepared yourself well for the interview, any of these questions should be easy to answer (I got asked the exact same questions in year 2 so I was well prepared! :) )

If you don’t understand a question, say so! Look at the interviewer when replying and also then include the other interviewer(s). Don’t fidget. Sit up straight and don’t cross your arms. Body language is important too.

So, do YOU have any questions?

Like any interview, you should always have questions. You will be going to college for 2, 3, or 4 years. It is a big step for you so you will have questions about the course. But what to ask them about the course? Well, anything really that you want to know.
    • What is the timetable like? (not an unreasonable question for mature applicants as they need to make childcare arrangements etc.)
    • When do you do start placements?
    • Can you choose your placements? Can you go abroad?
    • How many mature students on the course (although you should know this)?
    • What types of add-on courses are available?
    • When will I know if I am successful or not?
    • When do you get the booklist?

Everyone gets nervous and the interviewers will see this but they will also see whether you have researched everything through the nerves. Get yourself to open days, talk to students, lecturers and professionals out working about the area you are interested in and you will be successful.

Edit: Just to add - I did a study skills module as part of my Access course and when I mentioned Reflective Learning Journals and study skills, the panel were all impressed by this. So do have a look at reflective learning journals on the net or see if you can get a study skills book from the library. They do seem naff at first but if you use them well they are effective! Stella Cottrell is a good authoer on study skills.

Make sure to read any documentation you receive from the CAO or universities or HEA.

Keep a file of everything and also a file on your email account of any emails sent or received. Mark your calendar with important dates.

If you are applying for a grant, it would be wise (once all your application is done and dusted) to have a look and see what documents are required for the grant application as that whole process can take a while and it is a pain!

I’m starting my mature student orientation next week in Trinity and the following week I’ll be meeting my tutor and class. The above all seems like a lot of work but in the end it is worth it. :)

Best of Luck,
    Larianne.

(phew!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Larianne wrote: »
    Make sure to read any documentation you receive from the CAO or universities or HEA.

This is very important. You will end end up with envelopes and bits of paper and booklets everywhere so try keep it organised and make sure you read and re-read. A couple of times i've read stuff 3 times before actually reading it correctly. Its very easy to do if you're excited about it all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 e_j

Larianne, thank you. I think I'll have to print this page off!
    Looks like I've a lot of work on my hands, I'd better get oraganised. . .
    Good luck with everything at Trinity, although it doesn't sound like you'll need it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 birdalone

with a generous handful of fairy dust, because reading all of your excellent advice Larianne I have no idea how I made it onto my course.
    I must be blessed or something.

birdalone wrote: »
    with a generous handful of fairy dust, because reading all of your excellent advice Larianne I have no idea how I made it onto my course.
    I must be blessed or something.

Like I said before, everyone's application is different. You obviously gave a good personal statement and interview. Fair play to ya!! :)

As I had been turned down the previous year I wasn't letting anything go against me this year. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Thanks Larianne :) Having been urned tdown last year I'm determined for this year to happen and your list there makes it so much easier to see where to strengthen the application! Thanks again, and enjoy going back to school :D

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Thanks Larianne :) Having been urned tdown last year I'm determined for this year to happen and your list there makes it so much easier to see where to strengthen the application! Thanks again, and enjoy going back to school :D

Yes, it's not uncommon for mature student applicants to get turned down the first time applying. :( But it does make you determined for the next year. ;)

It would be a good idea to write to the head of the department (or whoever interviewed you) and ask if they could tell you what area of your application was the weakest and what you could do to make your application stronger. Then take it from there.

Don't be afraid to post questions on here or to drop me a PM if you wish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭urban cowboy

When I applied for college as a mature student, I called into the college and actually spoke to the head of the department for my course. In my instance he was more than willing to speak with me. He could tell that I had some knowledge of the course. He gave me a contact number of firm that practiced in the area that I was interested in. I followed up on it and got a great deal of info which helped in the interview.
    The list of questions that Lariane posted are identical to the ones that I was asked.
    It was at around this time of year that I started working on my application. No doubt, for me as someone with little experience with getting applications together, it is a big deal. Not to mention applying for grants and meetind all the required standards.
    Best of luck to all who are thinking about going to college, if you start now it will give you time to prepare and a better chance of succeeding. Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

i thought the lc and jc didnt matter when you are a mature ???

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

i thought the lc and jc didn't matter when you are a mature ???
    You will still be asked for them no matter how embarrassing (failed Irish, french and Chemistry back in '82) or equivalent from previous Country and in addition they may insist on recient study to Show You're able for College.

Grant tip - if you're applying for a grant as a mature independent student, they'll be asking for utility bills with your name on it from the 1st of October in the year prior you enter the college (so if you enter college in 2010 they'll look for ESB/gas bills from 1st October 2009).

If you're entering college next year, and as the 1st of October is coming up, get your name on the bill pronto! If you just look at this forum and at the student finances forum you'll see plenty of students who are not eligible because they don't have their name on the utility bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mikanella

Thank you for this awesome post! I am hoping to attend TCD in 2010 as a mature student and this information is exactly what I've been looking for. :)

Good luck Larianne - btw what are you studying and how are you enjoying uni life so far?

Mikanella wrote: »
    Thank you for this awesome post! I am hoping to attend TCD in 2010 as a mature student and this information is exactly what I've been looking for. :)

Good luck Larianne - btw what are you studying and how are you enjoying uni life so far?

Ah no worries. I know how difficult and stressful it can be, esp. when working etc. and trying to get everything organised. I'm just passing on the knowledge. :)

I met my class and registered today. Studying Physiotherapy (at long last). I need to tame down the drinking already. :o Serious hangover today.

Please post any questions you might have or send me a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sean/Telnor

Hi Larianne, Thanks so much for the advice. really helps.

I was wondering how the application process works. When I enter my 3 mature choices on my CAO App, does that mean I will get an Interview for all 3? or is it live the leaving cert where ill just get my 1st choice interview and not the others.

Maybe some1 will knoww this too :
    Im also doing a FETAC course that allows for direct entry by FETAC to Nursing colleges. Can I apply using both or do i have to pick FETAC or just Mature entry or can i pick both.

Thanks a mill for the answers :):D:)

Hi Larianne, Thanks so much for the advice. really helps.

I was wondering how the application process works. When I enter my 3 mature choices on my CAO App, does that mean I will get an Interview for all 3? or is it live the leaving cert where ill just get my 1st choice interview and not the others.

Maybe some1 will knoww this too :
    Im also doing a FETAC course that allows for direct entry by FETAC to Nursing colleges. Can I apply using both or do i have to pick FETAC or just Mature entry or can i pick both.

Thanks a mill for the answers :):D:)

Hiya,
    Yes, You could be called for interview for all 3 choices. (The Unis don't have which order you have them in.) If the college deems you a strong candidate they will call you for an interview. So just make sure you have your 1st choice 1st, no matter how little chance you think you may have. Put it down!

With your second question, I'm not so sure. I looked up www.ncc.ie and it has FETAC and Mature Student Entry as separate things. You should contact the relative unis for advice on that. But applying as a Mature Student with FETAC level 5 is no harm at all!! :) But contact the colleges so you have an idea of what to do when sorting out your CAO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sean/Telnor

Hi :) Thanks a million!!! that has answered my question. I've been searching the net for days trying to find out if i get called for 1 or all 3 choices :) thanks a million.
    I owe you one. :) Thanks for taking the time to help others out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi,

Thanks so much for re-directing me to this forum Larianne (I posted about applying as a Mature Student to TCD for the Social Care course)

The info you have provided was SO helpful!:D

I have done alot of research, through various college websites, emailing mature student officers/application officers, searching forums and picking absloutly everyones brain i come across! but this in paticular has touched on many of the subjects i was worried about such as the interview process, dress code and the grant info etc.

All I can do now is hope for the best and make sure i am 100% prepared, like you say! Although as you mentioned it is competitive for Mature student places, and i also have a sinking feeling that this year is going to be even more difficult to get a place due to all the job losses and everything else thats going on in the country.....:eek:

Thanks again for your help!! and a BIG Thankyou for posting this information in the first place!

Hope your course is going well!!

Best of luck to everyone applying!:)

• Advertisement

Hi qwertytlk,

Glad to be of help. :) I totally understand the stress of it all and not being able to get proper answers from people!

If you can make your application as good as it can be then you should have no problem. But I do agree that competition for places will be tough next year. But you never know they may have extra places for mature students next year, I'm not sure.

Just keep doing what you're doing and if you need any more help give me a PM or post here.

Course is tough, but I'm really enjoying it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gigglyhumour

will everyone get a grant..they way things are and all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 The_Silverback

Great tips! I hope there aren't too many people reading it though because I dont want anyone to take my place!! :D

Great tips! I hope there aren't too many people reading it though because I dont want anyone to take my place!! :D

Yes, I let no-one in on my secrets till I got my place! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 The_Silverback

Your dead right! I hope know about my place in the new year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Any tips for the interview?

I applied to go back for next year and interview is in may.

I don't know what to expect. Can they ask you to bring things like references, certificates? Or can i bring them anyway and anything else that will make me look great?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vicki1

Hi my name is Vicki i'm a Maternity Care Assistant and i work in Dublin, i've been trying to get a place in Midwifery as a Mature student for the last two years and im doing quite well i think because i'm passing the aptitude test and i am happy with my interviews altho they are very scary but im still not getting a place. I think i'm not getting high enough points in the aptitude test so was wondering does anyone know of any pratice courses that might take place for the exam or are there any good books to study from that i may be missing, i really need to get a place in 2010 im getting old now!! If anyone has any info i'd really apreciate it!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

vicki1 wrote: »
    Hi my name is Vicki i'm a Maternity Care Assistant and i work in Dublin, i've been trying to get a place in Midwifery as a Mature student for the last two years and im doing quite well i think because i'm passing the aptitude test and i am happy with my interviews altho they are very scary but im still not getting a place. I think i'm not getting high enough points in the aptitude test so was wondering does anyone know of any pratice courses that might take place for the exam or are there any good books to study from that i may be missing, i really need to get a place in 2010 im getting old now!! If anyone has any info i'd really apreciate it!
    Thanks

Hey Vicki,

I am a first year Midwifery Student - applied twice, first time passed aptitude test and interview - just like yourself - but I scored too low in the apt test (150) second time applying I scored 175, which got me my place, basically I bought a few of the Mike Byron books and found them brill, I practised sudoko LOTS (even though I dont like sudoko) brain training games etc!
    Really hope you get your place this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CPDS

hi just came across this thread. im hoping to get into midwifery this year 2, i applyed last year using my fetac results from a pre nursing course i did i got 10 distictions i didnt get a place :( but reapplying again this year fingers crossed. im only 22 so can apply as a mature student yet. vicki1 how did you get a job as a Maternity assistant.? what does that involve? this is something i would also love to do to. sorry about the spellings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

HI I want to apply thru CAO as a mature student for arts. I have a couple of questions..maybe someone can help..
    I will have only 1 choice down on my cao..is that ok or will they expect lots more?
    Also what happens after that?
    What do I need to prepare for an interview?
    I hope to get backt o education allow,when do I apply for grants and what am I allowed to get?
    Also any other info that I may have missed would be super great~!

Thanks.

Advertisement