Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Very sorry to hear it :( - He looked a grand lad

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Awwwwwww hun huge hugs for your loss :(

Harry looks like a lovely boy.

Hugs

Faye xx

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Harry looks like a right sweetheart. I'm sure he has then all charmed already in doggy heaven. RIP Harry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

All these poor pets...

My grans dog Gypsy,a shi-tzu(when i type without the dash it comes up ****zu).. Was like my own baby. Had an awful life. Spinal problems from an accident as a pup, diabeties, and liver damage. Had to let her go at age 8years, it was more humane. Gran was recently put into a nursing home. Everyday she asks "how's my peata? Are ya looking after her well?" Always makes me teary eyed.. :(

I'll never forget her

RIP gyps

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

My dog died two weeks ago. He was a Yorkshire Terrier. He was a half breed and hard as nails. Spud was his name and he lived for football. He wouldn’t eat, sleep or drink without it. I had him for 13 years and HE minded me so well. If I was sick or hungover he was by my side making sure I was ok. His favourite thing was going for walks by the lake in the morning or going for drives in the car. He used to sit in the back window and look so cute. He got sick a few weeks ago. He died in his sleep with little or no pain. It feels so strange without him. RIP Spud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Sorry to hear that Beans.I bet he has been made captian in dogy heaven:)

Sorry to hear about Spud :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

My dog Otso died an hour ago... He had a fit yesterday when my parents were walking our two bichons in the park, was throwing up loads then stopped moving. He spent the day and night on a drip in the vets. Our other dog Teddy is so confused as to where his brother is and has been sniffing the leads and looking for Otso. It's really sad to see. They slept curled up together at the bottom of the stairs or outside my parents room. He'd always sit on the window sill in the living room so he could see what was going on outside. Still hasn't properly hit me he's gone :( He was only 8 years old. Apparently there was a problem with his pancreas and he went in his sleep so at least it's good to know he suffered as little as possible.

EDIT: apparently I completely misunderstood what my parents said and there's a high chance he ate rat poison or something from a neighbouring garden. If it turns out to be that I will completely freak as it could have been so preventable. We'll see in the tests soon...

Attol - that's very sad.Our Zoe died suddenly too around the same age as yours,I know what it's like. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hello_kitty

30-04-07_1018.jpg

This is our cat Cuddles. We had to get her put down this evening. She was 18years old. We are all devestated.
    She was just so much more than a pet to us. She would sit on the spare chair at dinner time, on your knee to watch tv and she always slept in one of our beds, usually on the pillow and god help you if you tried to move her!! She woke my mum every morning at 6am with a playful swipe to the head so she would get up and feed her and she would always be sitting on top of the sofa in the evenings looking out the window waiting for one of us to come home from work. Our neighbours used to laugh at us as we used to buy her chicken breast and whiskas cat milk.
    We made the decision last night so I stayed at home and she slept beside me on the bed. I spent today just sitting talking to her and petting her. I couldn't face going to the vets so I just came home and waited for the call. She's being buried out our back garden in the flower beds as she used to love sleeping there on a sunny day.
    Rip my little baby cat, I'll miss you so much xxxxxxx S.

• Advertisement

Hello Kitty,

so sorry for your loss. I just wanted to say how lucky little Cuddles was to be so loved and appreciated. It's heart-warming to hear people say that their pets are much more than just that. It's such a shame our little friends can't be with us for longer isn't it.

RIP Cuddles, I hope you find a nice flower bed in heaven to sun yourself on

micamaca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eviecarwash

Hi,
    Our budgie Basil died on 5th May (our second wedding anniversary..). He'd had a stomach tumour and vet said it was kinder to put him to sleep. We don't care if people laugh, we had him 7 years and we loved him. We buried him in the back garden with his mirror! :D
    Night Baz x:o

Rest in peace Basil xxx I'm sure you were well loved in your too short time here...

mica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

RIP Spud, Otso, Cuddles & Basil.

Hugs to all the owners I know how heartbreaking it can be to lose a much loved pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Levi1.jpg

Levi - died 7th February 2006. He was my pet for 9 years. Its only in the past few months I can talk about him without crying.

Give yourself time...it took me a long time to get over my cat. But it does happen and after awhile you can look back and smile at their antics.

RIP Levi

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

I had a bearded collie type mongrel named Benji. He was a rescue - dumped in the northside of cork city and we were told about him through my cousins husband. He was a lovely dog - a total pet - acted a bit silly but had a brain alright. He escaped from our garden and went wandering ( he was neutered but like his wanderings) and was always home in 3 days max. There is a quarry being cut out behind where I live and around December 2006 he went off, we thought nothing of it until a few days passed and I got worried. I went looking with our other dogs but saw no sign of him. Contacted the Cork animal shelter and others and found nothing. We think he may have slipped into the flooded part of the quarry and drowned. He was 10ish and my pet. Miss him and his personality but don't know what happened. Would love to know what happened to him. Don't have a pic but will put one up when I get the scanner working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I hate to say it but you shouldn't have left him out like that, he could have caused an accident or something. Personally, I couldn't let my dogs out straying for day's on end, in fact I don't let my dogs out at all unless they're on leads. Don't think badly of me, I do feel sorry for your loss, you obviously thought something of your dog and took the time to post here.

I'm sorry for your loss too Corkimp...sometimes you're better off not knowing what happened so you can remember them as they were, alive and well. Remember him as he was. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

junkyard wrote:
    I hate to say it but you shouldn't have left him out like that, he could have caused an accident or something. Personally, I couldn't let my dogs out straying for day's on end, in fact I don't let my dogs out at all unless they're on leads. Don't think badly of me, I do feel sorry for your loss, you obviously thought something of your dog and took the time to post here.
    I don't think badly of you but don't think we didn't try to keep him in. We got the shock fence/collar things from a company in Waterford but despite getting shocked, he was too stubborn to let it beat him! He was being harrassed by my sisters gsd pup - and our other rescue molly. He did escape one day when we brought out the rubbish bin for collection when we first got him - he was 9months old and he got hit by a car. he was lucky considering it was the N22!! The driver didn't stop though. He only lost a tooth as a result. He was afraid of traffic. He was ok when with us but refused to go out near the road other then that. he went up fields and got few by the workers in the quarry!! He was our pet but despite the shock fence with collar, new fencing and god knows what else, my father thought it was cruel and unfair to tie him up. We did for a while but he got harrased more by the pup and got depressed.

I agree Micamaca it is best sometimes not to know and remember him as he was but then again, we can't help worry bout what happened to him. If I can, I'll post a pic when my scanner is set up and working in my new home next week. He was a slob - my slob! who knows, someone from Ovens/ballincollig in cork might recognise him :o . Lovingly known as hairbrain! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I had my cat 7 and a half years. He went missing last month. The last time i saw him was on the 9th of april '07. He went missing before like cats do and always came back so i thought nothing of it for 2 weeks. But 2 weeks was the longest he's ever been away so i started to worry after 2 weeks. Now he's 7 weeks gone. So i think, by now he's gone to heaven. He was an old cat. I miss him so much.

He was my best friend. I got a keyring of him and i used to always wear t-shirts of him. I was his best friend too. He knew he could get away with anything with me. My mother wouldn't let him in the house but when he wanted to come in he would go to my bedroom window and do his little kitty knock on the window. I used to let him sleep with me in my bed. He was a smart cat. If he heard my mother coming up the hall he would stop purring under the blankets knowing that if my mother heard him purr she would throw him out. I used to lie to my mother and tell her that kitty was never with me. When she left the room kitty would start purring again. So cute.
    He used to bring me luck and he used to really calm me when i had exams and stressed out while studying.

I miss him. The worst thing is i dont know what happened to him. I always wanted to get him cremated and have him with me forever. Why do animals have to die before us? :(

R.I.P. KITTY
    July 1999 - April 2007

I'l never forget u
    Love u forever
    xxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

http://file036a.bebo.com/0/large/2007/05/27/14/3644818415a4500115519b661842972l.jpg

I found this picture of Otso looking so relaxed! His favourite place was on the couch. My mum always said he was the most relaxed looking dog ever. Just thought this pic would be a nice tribute to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Poppy84

My little Baby Bunny Bailey died yesterday. 3 weeks is all he had with us in his new home. He loved nothing more than to run around kicking his feet up, following us around, licking our hands or feet to be picked up for a pet or a cuddle. Unfortunatly he lost his fight against a respitory disease he picked up in the pet shop he was happy till the very end. Worse thing is we were medicating him for this illness and he only went to the vet for an xray, i never got to say a proper good bye to my baby cos I thought he'd be home that evenin. My heart is broken all his little toys and things are around the house.
    Though it was only 3 short weeks i loved him with all my heart. R.I.P my lil bunny x x x

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

First of all I would like to say thank you to the person who made this thread, it's a wonderful idea and I'm sure it will help many people grieve for their pets. Well done. :)

I had 2 dogs that had to be put to sleep. Curley, a pointer-springer spaniel cross was put to sleep in June of 1999. I was distraught, I cried for about 2 weeks before we had to get him put down because I knew something would have to be done about it. I think he had some type of cancer. The last thing I remember about him was trying to get him to eat Frosties because he wouldn't eat. It was very sad. RIP Curley

Toby was a German pointer (I think... we didn't really know what he was) and we got him put down about 4 years ago. He was always a bit of a strange dog, he had problems with his ears; they were all flaky and sore, he was deaf and nearly blind by the time we got him put down. RIP Toby

Both of them are in Doggy Heaven now. Well I like to think there's a Doggy Heaven anyway. :)

We have 2 more dogs now. We have another one called Curley because he is so much like the other dog; he was exactly the same colour and breed, the similarities were unreal! He's 9 now. And we got a English-German pointer cross about 6 weeks ago and we called him Ben. He's so cute. Only 5 months old. :) I hope we have him for a long time!

Once again, well done OP. :)

I think you're right Jane...not everyone understands the pain that comes with losing a pet...so it's nice for people to have somewhere to talk about this with people who have gone through it and understand. So you're right...fair play to the OP.

It's nice to read a story with a happy ending like yours too :) Bless their little hearts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭marystar

my dog only was put to sleep yesterday... he had cancer .. he had some kind of stroke yesterday .. he rubbed up againsit the wall shaking, start looking across the room like something was in front of him looked angery , then looked away at me & my mum who was looking at him as to say "whats that" when there was absolutly nothing there , then fell over howling and had a seizure .. he was rushed out to be put asleep at ucd coz thats the only place open at 20.45 .. thats the last i saw of him , i had him for 13 years .. i wish i knew if i could get his ashes or what they do with the bodies of dogs put asleep at ucd :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

marystar wrote:
    i wish i knew if i could get his ashes or what they do with the bodies of dogs put asleep at ucd :(

Mary,
    Just ask them. You can have your animal cremated and get the ashes send back to you, even in a nice urn if you wish, so just ask. They should agree as it's still your dog, and really should have asked what you want.

We had a customers whose cat died and she had it cremated. As she was moving house at that time and wouldn't have a garden anymore, she decided to buy a beautiful shrub in a pot and put his ashed in that pot.
    I think that's a very good idea.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

My lovely cat Cleo was run over outside my parents' house this morning.:( At least the driver who hit her was kind enough to stop and move her body to the grass verge across the road to prevent further damage. She didn't look like she suffered. I buried her at 11 this morning.

Cleo had been a great comfort to me since January 2006 when she strayed into my life shortly after my dog Sooty died after a short illness (He was my constant companion for several years and it took me months to get over his passing.) . I got her spayed last year once she had decided to stay with me for good, and my parents took care of her for me since I moved to Cork for a new job. She never forgot me and would always sit on my lap or sleep on the end of my bed when I visited every few weeks.

I found this thread while looking for similar stuff and want to thank the OP for making a place for us distraught folk to post memorials.

Here is a pic of Cleo taken almost two weeks ago.

So long my lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Yesterday morning our beloved lurcher, Denver, was put to sleep. He suffered a stroke. We don't know exactly how old he was. We think he reached the fine old age of about 12 or 13. We rescued him 5 years ago after he was picked up straying on the streets of Portlaoise, starving and bedraggled, by the dog warden. We found him on the PAWS website and just loved his picture. He was very scared when he came to us and didn't trust humans very much, especially men. He was covered in scars, had broken teeth and was terrified of loud noises. He was also terrified of road junctions. We don't think he had ever lived in a house before and had no idea how to play, as if he had never been allowed to be a puppy. He didn't know how to bark and he was a big dog with a very large frame and didn't really bend in the middle!
    Over the years he grew into a very happy dog who suddenly found himself in the lap of luxury. He began to trust strangers and loved to lie on his couch in front of the TV. He loved his treats and would dance in excitement for his dinner and his walk. He loved porridge. He loved pigs ears. He came on holiday with us and he just loved being outside in the garden with us.
    We buried him in the garden yesterday.
    He has given us 5 years of unconditional love and joy and has enriched our lives. We feel very privileged to have owned him. There will never be another dog like Denver and we will never forget him. We take comfort in the fact that we were able to give an old dog who had had a hard life some comfort in his twilight years.
    We miss him terribly as do our other dog, Alistair and our cat, Neil.
    For now, this is a very sad house. Thank you for listening.

866170701_1e68473dba_m.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

I have read all the replys to this thread up to this point and i have to admit that it is the first time that I have cried reading stuff on this website,I'd like to tell ya my dogs story but It's just too mean to explain,It was so mean that I did'nt even cry at the time and here I am crying 12 years later

Advertisement