Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Anyone ever run while they’ve been in Euro Disney or know if it’s possible to run while there.?

Haha, I can see it already "Get outta the way Minnie im on a bleedin session!!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Barcelona Marathon on the 15th March .

Ran 18 miles yesterday and had built up to it. Ran well for me and over all even though im not on a programme I been getting out 3/4 times a week and a long run building up incrementally. Im injury free (touch wood) and that was the main goal.

I have a niggle in the back of my head about running 20 miles before the marathon, that extra bit of confidence maybe but I know the window is tight now. If I were to run 20 miles next Wednesday would it be too close to the day of the race , should I be looking at series of 10 mile / 5 mile taper runs?

Should I run the 20 miles next week or am I better at this stage to just taper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I would run the 20 miles. I would think if you didn't that's too long a taper.
    If the marathon is march 15th I would do my last long run up to March 1st and start the taper on Monday 2nd. Any longer than that and the madness would get to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Anyone ever run while they’ve been in Euro Disney or know if it’s possible to run while there.?

I went there a few years ago, in the middle of marathon training. There is a ringroad around the park with a generous sidewalk that is great for running along, and one morning I headed into some random direction through a few villages nearby, which was perfectly fine as well.

It's actually a pretty good location for running. The one thing you won't be able to do is hill training, this is the flattest area I have ever been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Butterbeans

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Nike Pegasus are my go to shoes for a few years Now - a size up but they just don’t work anymore !! I had pegs 35 for the marathon - were a dream . I bought 36 afterwards they hurt so went back online and bought 2 pairs of 35s ( on sale ) but nope somehow they just hurt !!

Only reading this now but went shopping at lunch time and came away with Mizuno wave riders !! I was torn between them on NB 880s so fingers crossed !
    On 3rd pair of Mizuno Wave Riders now, good toe box and very comfy. However latest pair are Wave Rider 23 and toe box is not as roomy as the 22's and more meshy - I'm hoping the big toes don't come through it until I get good wear out of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Stupidly strained a rib muscle while attempting to remove a wheel nut with a brace. Now there isn't a break, I've broken ribs before and you do know the difference.

Anyway I'm in the second week of my training plan for the Cork Marathon, I can take a full breath and did two short runs with some discomfort. I'm going to volunteer at my local parkrun tomorrow as I normally include it as a part of training plans. I have a longish (75mins) run on Sunday and just looking for a bit of feedback from anyone who has had a similar problem but choose to run, did you make it worse? Did you wait for pain killers to take effect and then run, use voltarol (other similar products are available) or strap. Kind of reaching out in the dark here, as I feel taking a couple of weeks off would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

hi, new here, was lucky and got a DCM entry in January, sorry to those who didn't. It will be my first marathon and probably a little earlier than planned but name came out of the hat so had to take it as the chance might not have come around again! Have just done my first half late last year and will be coming off tri training at the start of June and concentrating on running.

Is there a list of common plans that people recommend that I could take a look over? ideally looking for a plan with lots of flexibility as busy work, home, kids etc so need to roll with the punches.

Typically can run anything up to 25/30km per week (depending) but usually doing some training 4/5 days a week.

Times in case it matters for the plan types
    5K 20: 30 (2018)
    10K 42:39 (2019)
    Half 1:36:40 (2019)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

MisterJinx wrote: »
    hi, new here, was lucky and got a DCM entry in January, sorry to those who didn't. It will be my first marathon and probably a little earlier than planned but name came out of the hat so had to take it as the chance might not have come around again! Have just done my first half late last year and will be coming off tri training at the start of June and concentrating on running.

Is there a list of common plans that people recommend that I could take a look over? ideally looking for a plan with lots of flexibility as busy work, home, kids etc so need to roll with the punches.

Typically can run anything up to 25/30km per week (depending) but usually doing some training 4/5 days a week.

Times in case it matters for the plan types
    5K 20: 30 (2018)
    10K 42:39 (2019)
    Half 1:36:40 (2019)

Every year Boards.ie has a mentor novice thread which gives advice to all people running Dublin for the first time. It includes different plans and takes you through everything week by week. They talk about speed, recoveries, diet, clothing, hydration,.... everything.

The thread usually starts in late May early June. I’d suggest when the time comes you join it. To give you an idea this is the 2019 thread.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057978706

edit: welcome to boards :) That link above contains two training plans. Hope the training goes well for you and any other questions just ask here until the 2020 Dublin Novice thread starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Cheers thanks for that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Stupidly strained a rib muscle while attempting to remove a wheel nut with a brace. Now there isn't a break, I've broken ribs before and you do know the difference.

Anyway I'm in the second week of my training plan for the Cork Marathon, I can take a full breath and did two short runs with some discomfort. I'm going to volunteer at my local parkrun tomorrow as I normally include it as a part of training plans. I have a longish (75mins) run on Sunday and just looking for a bit of feedback from anyone who has had a similar problem but choose to run, did you make it worse? Did you wait for pain killers to take effect and then run, use voltarol (other similar products are available) or strap. Kind of reaching out in the dark here, as I feel taking a couple of weeks off would be a disaster.
    Probably a bit late with this advice, but just in case you haven't gone out yet: play it safe. Missing one long run is unlikely to have a significant impact on your overall prep. Missing 6 weeks because you've injured yourself further would be disastrous. Go to a physio tomorrow and get their advice. Generic internet advice is not going to work for this, you're not going to be able to make an informed decision based on what other people's experiences were

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

New to running. I have done 5 weeks of C25k and 2 park runs since January. Yesterday I ran my first 5k race in graigcullen in a time of 32.12. but today my back is sore all over, stiff and aching. Is that down to the hard ground/ running style or something else? My aim was to go a 10k and end of April and a Half in August. But if I'm this sore after a 5k I don't know if the above is achievable. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

New to running. I have done 5 weeks of C25k and 2 park runs since January. Yesterday I ran my first 5k race in graigcullen in a time of 32.12. but today my back is sore all over, stiff and aching. Is that down to the hard ground/ running style or something else? My aim was to go a 10k and end of April and a Half in August. But if I'm this sore after a 5k I don't know if the above is achievable. Any advice?

Couch to 5k is supposed to be a 9 week programme isn’t it? I’d say skipping a month of it didn’t help. Trust in the plan.

Miklos wrote: »
    Couch to 5k is supposed to be a 9 week programme isn’t it? I’d say skipping a month of it didn’t help. Trust in the plan.

Sorry should have clarified, I have player team sports so have a base level of fitness so started c25k on week 4. It's road running I'm new to

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

sounds like to much too soon Miklos, +1 for stick to the plan(s)

Running on a harder surface, with no breaks to recover is tough on shock absorbing system, it takes time for muscle, tendon, bone to adapt.

also technique takes time to establish.

Stick with it. A slower build up makes for safer and often better (faster times)outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Darren 83

So I’ve a Half next Sunday but on that week the plan is for 2e + 6m + 1e + 5m +1e Id normally do this on a Wednesday I personally think it’s a bit much. How would everyone approach this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Darren 83 wrote: »
    So I’ve a Half next Sunday but on that week the plan is for 2e + 6m + 1e + 5m +1e Id normally do this on a Wednesday I personally think it’s a bit much. How would everyone approach this?

I'm no expert but would suggest if you think its too much, go with your gut and scale back as the week goes on. I'm in a similar boat for that week and have swapped out a couple runs to go top heavy in earlier part of week with a session on Wednesday followed by off on Thursday. Ill probably go with 2 recovery type shorter runs on Friday and Saturday before half on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Check you have appropriate runners with some cushioning. It may also be your running form. Runners from another sporting background often have a style more suitable to their sport e.g. hunched over slightly. Try and be conscious of good running posture but do not change anything too quickly. No reason you can not do a 10K in 8 weeks if you follow a 5-10K plan and avoid injury.

Daniels' 2Q? You'd normally have two workouts anyway, the half-marathon should just be replacing the second workout. It's only too much if you attempt to race the half all-out, but I'm assuming the half is not the goal

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Daniels' 2Q? You'd normally have two workouts anyway, the half-marathon should just be replacing the second workout. It's only too much if you attempt to race the half all-out, but I'm assuming the half is not the goal

Yep JD plan, While the half is not the goal race definitely looking to pb, possible to switch weeks as this weeks session wouldn’t be as demanding?

Yep JD plan, While the half is not the goal race definitely looking to pb, possible to switch weeks as this weeks session wouldn’t be as demanding?
    Depends. If you believe in the plan, it's the "optimal" training strategy, and messing around with it can only reduce its effectiveness. Daniels actually has specific instructions for including racing in the 2Q plan:
    If you include any races during this marathon plan, schedule them in place of your Q1 session for that week, but perform the displaced Q1 session at midweek and drop that week’s Q2 altogether. This means a Sunday race would start the week with the race, followed by that week’s Q1 (a few days later), and the next week starts with its Q1, as normal. Try to rearrange training so you get 3 E days before any race, and take 1 E day for each 3,000 to 4,000 meters of race distance (e.g., 3 E days after a 10K).
    Personally, I wouldn't be inclined to swap weeks around. One of the principles underpinning the plans is that of "phases", where each phase has a specific purpose e.g. base-building. Swapping weeks around mean you're at risk of putting the wrong type of training into the wrong phase

• Advertisement

I see your point, the displaced Q1 session is 3e + 12m. I have a good 3 days between Q sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 luize636

Would love some advice re nutrition!
    I've been an avid gym goer for the past 1-2 years, and do weekly hikes (10-20km) however I'm new to running and struggling to fuel myself properly before/after runs. Recently I've been doing up to 5-6km on my runs (building up to a 10k race in June) and my stomach just feels like a bottomless pit afterwards.
    How soon before and how long after should I be eating? All carbs? Should I be eating way more calories on run days vs rest days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'd leave a gap of 2 hours at least before, If really hungry and you've to run in an hour something light like a banana, small bowl of cereal, slice of toast.

After, eat if you want! I like to eat something after a long run, otherwise I just eat when I feel like it. You're likely overthinking it tbh its not really any different to the gym

dna_leri wrote:
    Check you have appropriate runners with some cushioning. It may also be your running form. Runners from another sporting background often have a style more suitable to their sport e.g. hunched over slightly. Try and be conscious of good running posture but do not change anything too quickly. No reason you can not do a 10K in 8 weeks if you follow a 5-10K plan and avoid injury.

Thanks, I'm wearing Pegasus and find them good, maybe just too much too soon so going to train for the 10k now and stick to a program. Any suggestions of good ones or are the all much the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭joe35

Hi, how do people work out their 400m rep times if running at say 5k pace or 10k pace. Is there an easy formu9or some way I'm missing. TIA

joe35 wrote: »
    Hi, how do people work out their 400m rep times if running at say 5k pace or 10k pace. Is there an easy formu9or some way I'm missing. TIA
    Just divide your time by 12.5 (5k pace) or 25 (10k pace) 12.5 being 5,000/400 and 25 being 10,000/400

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

joe35 wrote: »

If you know your average pace per km divide it by 2.5 but here's a handy chart for your 400s

If you know for example your average pace for a 5km is 3:30/km or 3:30 per 1000m on that chart your 400s are 84 seconds. Or if your 10km average per pace km is 3:40/km or 3:40 per 1000m on that chart your 400s are 88 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭joe35

Thanks mellow yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Lads dont post often here but lurk around :) Struggling with motivation at the moment. With 1 toddler at home and another little one on the way I am struggling to get training done more specifically with the long runs. I am very fortunate I can get some easy runs done during the week at lunch time in work which is great and I can get out for few evenings during the week and get a few runs in so I can easily get 20-25 miles done during the week and then I like to get 10-12 miles during the weekend for a longer run but struggling to find time to get these done. There just seems to be always something getting in my way stopping the run or hampering my lead in to it so I end up wrecked, under hydrated or under fueled. All well in good to try plan it as much as I can but it just rarely has worked out.

One option probably suggested is a running buggy. I have one but weather has not been good enough to get out with it. Maybe this will improve perhaps.

Have others gone through similar and how do they deal with it? I am signed up for DCM and at this point considering not running it. I don't want to end up struggling to get long runs done and this stressing me out for DCM.

Most of my training currently is solo. Unsure if a club would help as will still just struggle to make weekend long runs and training times mid week would clash with bed time for kid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

chris85 wrote: »
    Lads dont post often here but lurk around :) Struggling with motivation at the moment. With 1 toddler at home and another little one on the way I am struggling to get training done more specifically with the long runs. I am very fortunate I can get some easy runs done during the week at lunch time in work which is great and I can get out for few evenings during the week and get a few runs in so I can easily get 20-25 miles done during the week and then I like to get 10-12 miles during the weekend for a longer run but struggling to find time to get these done. There just seems to be always something getting in my way stopping the run or hampering my lead in to it so I end up wrecked, under hydrated or under fueled. All well in good to try plan it as much as I can but it just rarely has worked out.

One option probably suggested is a running buggy. I have one but weather has not been good enough to get out with it. Maybe this will improve perhaps.

Have others gone through similar and how do they deal with it? I am signed up for DCM and at this point considering not running it. I don't want to end up struggling to get long runs done and this stressing me out for DCM.

Most of my training currently is solo. Unsure if a club would help as will still just struggle to make weekend long runs and training times mid week would clash with bed time for kid.

Get up at 5am on a Sunday morning and go for your long run, that's what I do. I have 3 kids under 8. If you want to fit it in you will find a way, if you don't really want to run you will always find an excuse.

Advertisement