Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General sheep thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone any tips or tricks on putting a retainer in a prolapsed ewe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

DJ98 wrote: »
    Anyone any tips or tricks on putting a retainer in a prolapsed ewe?

Push in the prolapse, insert the retainer and tie it to the wool,
    I'd rather use a prolapse harness.

wrangler wrote: »
    Push in the prolapse, insert the retainer and tie it to the wool,

Ewe is forcing quite hard and pushing out retainer as quick as I put it in, have tried holding her back legs up in the air but when I let her back down to tie the retainer she forces it out again

Ewe is forcing quite hard and pushing out retainer as quick as I put it in, have tried holding her back legs up in the air but when I let her back down to tie the retainer she forces it out again

Have you a front loader and lenght or rope to lift her by the back legs, I never had to use it for a prolapse but have had to hang them up to put in a lamb bed (uterus)

Have you a front loader and lenght or rope to lift her by the back legs, I never had to use it for a prolapse but have had to hang them up to put in a lamb bed (uterus)

What's the difference between prolapse and lamb bed wrangler? Might be a stupid question

• Advertisement

What's the difference between prolapse and lamb bed wrangler? Might be a stupid question

Sometimes after a hard lambing the ewe puts out the uterus, It's like a sock turning inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭kk.man

An elderly neighbour approached me to help him sort out his hoggetts,to dose them and replace missing tags.....he buys around 50 ewe lambs in small lots in mart each Sept for last few years and sells them as year olds the following September.

He said some of them ‘are missing tags’....as in have lost tags since he bought them last September.Just want to check can I put some of his new electronic tags into them if they are missing both tags or do we need to read them all to figure out who is missing tags iykwim?.....and then go and order them.

Also are the tags that were put in them for selling in mart by original owner ok to leave in them for their lifetime now?....I glanced at them and most have the small loop tag in one ear and electronic tag in other ear.

Thanks for any replies.

No need to worry it happens all the time. If you know the tag number or if there is a single tag left you can match the new one in the sheep register. If not I'll say it be guess work.
    With regards to the original tags if these are EID then no need to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

I'd never be worried about prolapses, I'd call it 5% hereditary, more likely to be
    because of triplets/ big doubles/overfat. I'd never be culling her daughters because of it anyway ,

wouldn't that make 5% less if u did cull?
    this is one of the reasons I have a closed flock and a prolapse rate of <0.5% while my neighbour who buys in replacements has +5%.

I worked to many farms with that attitude and it just made for more work and difficult lambings so I firmly believe not culling as described is a welfare issue.

I agree many factors are at play but not all or not even the majority of overfat, triplets etc prolapse so go figure?
    there is a genetic component to it .
    and short sheep are even worse.

Has anyone killed a ewe for the freezer?
    Would there be a strong taste of the meat compared to lamb?
    Would the cuts be more mince and stew meat instead of chops?

just had dinner 2yr old cheviot wether (wild b@stard but great for schooling dog) it was absolutely melt in the mouth and delicious .fillet 21/2 hrs cooking at 160.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Cran

Anyone ever convert an old out house into a sheep footbath. Considering it here and wondering approach to making it waterproof etc

• Advertisement

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    wouldn't that make 5% less if u did cull?
    this is one of the reasons I have a closed flock and a prolapse rate of <0.5% while my neighbour who buys in replacements has +5%.

I worked to many farms with that attitude and it just made for more work and difficult lambings so I firmly believe not culling as described is a welfare issue.

I agree many factors are at play but not all or not even the majority of overfat, triplets etc prolapse so go figure?
    there is a genetic component to it .
    and short sheep are even worse.

It's not a welfare issue anyway. the present offender doesn't show any distress with the harness. She's on her fourth crop and third triplet so will be culled but I won't be sentencing her offspring

arctictree wrote: »
    Well, I split my flock into a group with triplets and quads. Fed them more. Circa 15% of them prolapsed. None of the singles/twins did who were on less feed. One ewe was so big with quads that she couldnt walk. 3 died and the fourth barely survived. She was back up walking when all that weight was off her. Doing well now with the single lamb. Makes you think....

managed flock with a lot of triplets in the past like that triplets were fed separately,
    started feeding sooner with maize and beet pulp (high energy low protein) then on to 18%cp nut for 6 wks . they also had molasses twice a day(high energy low protein) poured on the silage with a watering can.

by keeping the energy high and the amount of protein slightly higher than twins the overall weight of lambs does not get to much for the ewe (big lambs draw more out of the ewe leading to twin lamb....)

It's not a welfare issue anyway. the present offender doesn't show any distress with the harness. She's on her fourth crop and third triplet so will be culled but I won't be sentencing her offspring

we know a higher proportion of prolapsed ewes have to be assisted for lambing, yes some will lamb through the harness but often they ring and need a hour or two spent faffing around handling /feeding lambs followed by antibiotics and frequently not milking great after that...…

so assuming you have three ewe lambs from your ewe Is your replacement requirements so precarious that you need to take the risk?...…
    I love my sheep but I really couldn't be @rsed with the thought that I was potentially making three problems out of one...

we know a higher proportion of prolapsed ewes have to be assisted for lambing, yes some will lamb through the harness but often they ring and need a hour or two spent faffing around handling /feeding lambs followed by antibiotics and frequently not milking great after that...…

so assuming you have three ewe lambs from your ewe Is your replacement requirements so precarious that you need to take the risk?...…
    I love my sheep but I really couldn't be @rsed with the thought that I was potentially making three problems out of one...

How do you explain that I only have 1 - 2% prolapses after 30 years of not culling daughters .You seem to be overthinking it

How do you explain that I only have 1 - 2% prolapses after 30 years of not culling daughters .You seem to be overthinking it

that is very good ,then again could reduce it 50-75% by culling harder? I don't know for sure but I know more sheep are prolapsing now than 30/40 yrs ago when it was a rarity and usually ended with all in the skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

that is very good ,then again could reduce it 50-75% by culling harder? I don't know for sure but I know more sheep are prolapsing now than 30/40 yrs ago when it was a rarity and usually ended with all in the skip.

Culling the ewes that have prolapsed is more important than culling the daughters.

Ewes are having more multiples now, less exercise in pregnancy and better fed.
    I agree about the'' ringed'' but being proactive and using the harness as soon as seen reduces that risk.
    Stitches, retainer, etc is very invasive and you'd be slow to use whereas the harness is kind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Ewes are having more multiples now, less exercise in pregnancy and better fed.
    I agree about the'' ringed'' but being proactive and using the harness as soon as seen reduces that risk.
    Stitches, retainer, etc is very invasive and you'd be slow to use whereas the harness is kind

I had to use a harness the other even, for the first time. I feel like the straps are irritating her where it goes around her legs. I’m not sure how tight to have it really. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

anyone have much problems with inlamb ewes trying to take lambs off ewes just after lambing?..would drive you mad getting a ewe to follow her lambs out of a shed n getting chased by another 1 or 2 who have yet to lamb!

I had to use a harness the other even, for the first time. I feel like the straps are irritating her where it goes around her legs. I’m not sure how tight to have it really. Any tips?

Yea, I'd loosen those two straps an inch after 24 hrs and see what happens, I'd leave it as loose as I'd get away with, not good to be too tight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

If a person was going to do night time lambing what would they want to be getting a night or per hour ? It'll be for 10 nights and an hour roundtrip.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

I'd want 200 a night minimum, 10pm-7am if it's a decent size flock it's good value for the farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

8pm to 4 am, usual lambing duties and then bed pens and feed lambed ewes. Rough 400 ewe flock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

kk.man wrote: »
    No need to worry it happens all the time. If you know the tag number or if there is a single tag left you can match the new one in the sheep register. If not I'll say it be guess work.
    With regards to the original tags if these are EID then no need to change.

Thanks for reply,he said there are definitely a few that have lost both tags!„.....to save reading all the hoggetts wouldn’t it be ok to put a brand new EID tag set of the farmers into any of them?....and write ‘Retag’ down in Flock register.
    I had a look at his flock register and it needs updating....he has no entries at all in the part where you write in any injections etc given to sheep.Wondering should I just continue to leave it blank or record the doses this years purchased sheep got since they came onto farm to try and make it look like my neighbour is trying to turn over a new leaf as regards recording animal remedies.

Or should I just leave it be as a good few farmers probably never stick anything down in that section anyway.
    Sorry for long post but appreciate people’s thoughts on fact Animal Remedies area in Flock Register Isn’t up to date especially as I don’t want to stress him out pointing out to him that we better fill something into it iykwim.
    Also would be great to get thoughts on bought sheep with both tags gone as I asked in start of post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭kk.man

Thanks for reply,he said there are definitely a few that have lost both tags!„.....to save reading all the hoggetts wouldn’t it be ok to put a brand new EID tag set of the farmers into any of them?....and write ‘Retag’ down in Flock register.
    I had a look at his flock register and it needs updating....he has no entries at all in the part where you write in any injections etc given to sheep.Wondering should I just continue to leave it blank or record the doses this years purchased sheep got since they came onto farm to try and make it look like my neighbour is trying to turn over a new leaf as regards recording animal remedies.

Or should I just leave it be as a good few farmers probably never stick anything down in that section anyway.
    Sorry for long post but appreciate people’s thoughts on fact Animal Remedies area in Flock Register Isn’t up to date especially as I don’t want to stress him out pointing out to him that we better fill something into it iykwim.
    Also would be great to get thoughts on bought sheep with both tags gone as I asked in start of post.

I don't know what you are talking about Re flock register and animal register being one book.

If he only has a few tags missing he should bring in the sheep and go through each one. Then keep the ones with no tag aside and go through the purchase dockets and put new eid tags on those. There is a column for old tags and replacement tags in the register.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Yarrumkram09

Is sheep scab a notifiable disease and can sheep that have it be slaughtered?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/diseasecontrol/listofnotifiablediseases/
    Yes its notifiable
    Not sure about the slaughtering

ganmo wrote: »

They don't have to be slaughtered ,just dipped ,easy cured

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Yes it is notifiable, I don’t think there is any problems getting them slaughtered but I am open to correction?... heard of a few lads having problems with it this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Yarrumkram09

They don't have to be slaughtered ,just dipped ,easy cured

I know that dipping will cure them, but these are store lambs I bought in November and they are fit to kill now.

Advertisement