Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheaper option? Put open drive on insurance or add as driver?

Options
  • 20-02-2020 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello, I would just like to ask. I am on 2nd year of driving in ROI and I have insurance under AXA. I’d like to put my bf under the insurance but I am confused as to what will be the cheaper option for me. To put open driving is 168€ or something. But I think to put him as a named driver would be cheaper. He had EU license but I urge him to switch to Irish license so I can put him and it will be cheaper for my insurance(thats what I think anyway).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Piguana wrote: »
    Hello, I would just like to ask. I am on 2nd year of driving in ROI and I have insurance under AXA. I’d like to put my bf under the insurance but I am confused as to what will be the cheaper option for me. To put open driving is 168€ or something. But I think to put him as a named driver would be cheaper. He had EU license but I urge him to switch to Irish license so I can put him and it will be cheaper for my insurance(thats what I think anyway).

Call your insurer and get a quote to add him as a named driver. It might be cheaper as a lot of them give and insured and partner discount. Some prefer to have an Irish licence but some don't mind an EU licence. There's no harm in calling to get a quote anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Adding a named driver usually results in a lower premium than main driver alone. Sounds mad, but that's seems to be the norm .

I'm not sure when the prospective named driver has a non-Irish licence though.

Call your insurer/broker.

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement