Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I can only vouch for Mick and he's out of action at the moment as far as I know.

When I started out after finishing my IBT, I just went for a spin every evening around the town and ring roads that I knew. Get some practice in while you wait to get an instructor sorted. I made the most improvements when I joined group spins so keep an eye out for a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

zubair wrote: »
    I can only vouch for Mick and he's out of action at the moment as far as I know.

When I started out after finishing my IBT, I just went for a spin every evening around the town and ring roads that I knew. Get some practice in while you wait to get an instructor sorted. I made the most improvements when I joined group spins so keep an eye out for a group.

Will do, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Mick has a lady doing work for him and she was brilliant for me when I did the pre-test with her. Would recommend her.

I met the lady when i was doing my rider assessment last year, she is more than capable, Mick will always ensure his students are in the best of hands if he is not in a position to do so himself, the fact alone that i travelled from Cork to Kildare is testament of the man. I hope he gets well soon.Mick Smyth is also working alongside him is a joint venture they both have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Ye Gods I am having no luck at all with trying to get my test done. 4th time it had to be put off on account of the weather and I am starting to feel something has jinxed me! Its nearly 12 months now since I first put in todo the test.

Dan.

Ye Gods I am having no luck at all with trying to get my test done. 4th time it had to be put off on account of the weather and I am starting to feel something has jinxed me! Its nearly 12 months now since I first put in todo the test.

You should get an honourary pass for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just about to book IBT myself. I've had loads of recommendations for Aaron Rider training but with them being booked way out it will mean at least the end of March before I'm on the road. I'm thinking of just getting it done anyway and then reverting to Aaron after for lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Test coming up soon with expired IBT?

Best plan of action?

Just about to book IBT myself. I've had loads of recommendations for Aaron Rider training but with them being booked way out it will mean at least the end of March before I'm on the road. I'm thinking of just getting it done anyway and then reverting to Aaron after for lessons.

Good luck getting anyone to give you lessons.. or even getting back to you :rolleyes:

The whole thing is starting to grind my gears in the family guy way. My 4th test which was due on Tuesday was off on account of the weather and yesterday I got a letter from the RSA says I never turned up and my fee is forfeit. I sent 4 emails since Monday about it and still not a word back. I also agree with some other posters that IBT can be tricky as most bike schools are weekends run and the instructors don't have the time for it on account of jobs. Biking can be a tricky ol thing and lots of patience is required. Maybe I will be less grumpy for the weekend :) Rant over.
    Happy Val's day everyone else.

Dan.

There seems to be a school in tallaght somewhere but don't know the name of them, often see them buzzing around the place during the week. Seem to be based around Airton Rd. Could be worth finding out who they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,829 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

4th time it had to be put off on account of the weather

Were these all in the winter?

Life ain't always empty.

Were these all in the winter?

3 on account of weather one on account of the tester not turning up on the day.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭enrique66_35

Question on etiquette lads, I'm a fairly new rider (about 6 months) and one of my favourite bits is the saluting that goes on between bikers however I'm never sure if I should
    1. wave
    2. hand in the air salute
    3. nod for the ultra cool lads on rocket ships
    4. none of the above
    5. something else (fill in below...)

I'm usually so giddy about being out on the bike (see rider, new) that I end up waving like a loon and feel like a dope when I get the reserved nod back. Any googling just throws up US sites about two fingers left hand at the waist which obviously won't be visible here.

Any tips from the veterans?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

When I lived in Scotland it was a wave or nod.

Usually I nod here and either get nothing (well I'm on a shed of a BMW), a return nod or a continental leg stretch.

Any of the above. But only nod on a spin, don't when commuting, that's just weird. I hate when people nod and I'm on the way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

Got a full salute from some hero today while walking down the road in my gear!

Sure it costs nothing, I got a kick out of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭enrique66_35

zubair wrote: »
    Any of the above. But only nod on a spin, don't when commuting, that's just weird. I hate when people nod and I'm on the way to work.

See this is it, I'm waving and nodding at all and sundry when I'm on the bike regardless of commuting or weekend spin which might be being indulged a bit cause of the L vest but I don't want to be annoying experienced riders, as you say, just on their way to work.

Real problem is when I'm saluting bikers out of habit/instinct and I'm in the car :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

I don’t wave or nod at anyone and nobody waves or nods at me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭oceanman

hi guys, ready to start ibt, any recommendations for someone in Dublin or Kildare? thanks.

oceanman wrote: »
    hi guys, ready to start ibt, any recommendations for someone in Dublin or Kildare? thanks.

Hey, tbh the only people I could get to do anything, ie IBT, lessons etc are the Airport Driving School. They're good though, and I had a laugh with them! I guess try looking up others if that doesn't suit but good luck!

• Advertisement

Ideas for where to go?!

Having a sh*t week. Need/want to get out for a few hours tomorrow so anyone any ideas where I can go (M50 excluded) to contemplate life?!

Coffee and chips optional but not required.. preferably minimal humans!

Ideas for where to go?!

Having a sh*t week. Need/want to get out for a few hours tomorrow so anyone any ideas where I can go (M50 excluded) to contemplate life?!

Coffee and chips optional but not required.. preferably minimal humans!

Where ar you starting from?

I didn't get a chance today anyway but I'd be starting from Clondalkin?

I didn't get a chance today anyway but I'd be starting from Clondalkin?

Well if it were me I'd go tallaght, blessington, naas, clane, lucan, home. All fairly fast roads and fast bends, no peg scraping. in winter they would be the type of roads I'd go for.

Also, someone started a thread on the photo rally so that could give you somewhere to go, there's a few close proximity to Dublin, Kildare Meath.

http://www.irishphotorally.ie/map

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭horse7

There's a group going at 9:30 this morning if you're interested,meet in swords.

horse7 wrote: »

Thank you for the invite! I don't think I'm ready for group rides yet.. I'd be like the embarrassing little sister!

Just ended up going around Clondalkin/Lucan for a bit.. getting there though :)

Thank you for the invite! I don't think I'm ready for group rides yet.. I'd be like the embarrassing little sister!

Just ended up going around Clondalkin/Lucan for a bit.. getting there though :)

It's understandable that you'd be hesitant but the best way to learn is with a group. Just make sure it's a group that have mixed levels with experienced riders to look out for you.
    horse7 wrote: »

Do you ha e a grouo spin every Sunday?

I believe you can do your test on a high powered automatic and are then allowed ride any twist and go up to that number cc that you tested on?
    How do they note this on the licence? Do you get for example an A1 or A2 with a mark that you are not qualified to ride a bike with gears?

Hope this makes sense! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Yes you can ride any size up to the one you pass the test on.

The license will have a code on the back which is the code stating the license holder is restricted to automatic bikes.

• Advertisement

Yes you can ride any size up to the one you pass the test on.

The license will have a code on the back which is the code stating the license holder is restricted to automatic bikes.

Great thanks

Advertisement