Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Walking the coast from Wicklow to Greystones

Options
  • 13-12-2018 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭

Whats the walk along the coast like?
    Is the river here
    passable easily?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I walked this a number of years ago now - it was fully accessible at the time and should still be so. Just be careful when getting up on the rail bridge to cross the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, just walk up on to the railway bridge to cross it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

There is now a gangway for pedestrians alongside the rail bridge at the breaches.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

.....what about from Arklow to Wicklow along the coast?
    Dotted with a few beaches so some road walking might have to be done.
    Reckon one could "skirt" along the side of golf courses on the coast side?

Arklow / Wicklow / Greystones about 40k. One wild camp involved is would seem. DART from Greys. back to town.

Few days off in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You can get from Arklow to the Beach at the European club golf links no bother.
    I'm reasonably sure I went around Mizen head, but I cant remember any details.

Brittas Bay, Jack's Hole all grand, I think its the bit at Blainroe thats the blocking section. Get to the coast again at Silver strand/Wolf Rock over to the lighthouses.
    I've never gone from the lighthouses to Wicklow, probably hard at the Wicklow golf course, might need a low tide, if possible.

Another idea / slightly off topic, would be to start in Courttown Harbour, good beaches most of the way, get from CLogga to Arklow at low tide, or go over Arklow Rock.
    taxi from Gorey to the start point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

It used to be possible to walk from Wicklow town to the lighthouses - but the route became overgrown and eroded and of course wicklow C.C had no interest in preserving the route.

You used to be able to walk from Clogga to Kilmichael point and Kilpatrick beach, but certain portions of the route where blocked by local landowners.

So in theory you could walk from courtown in Wexford to Bray at low tide and with certain coastal blockages are removed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Arklow to Redcross river, (looks craggy enough on coast) entering sea on beach, you reckon from Redcross river to Mizen Hd. (nice stretch of beach) and across the golf course and some private land :eek: to Brittas Bay is possible?
    Going on the road at this point would'nt kill me.

Brittas Bay, cross Ballinacarrig, beach to Ardmore Point, then it would appear to be road to Wicklow Town, 8.5k, food.....then straight up the beach to Greystones.

Advertisement