Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Onedrive - Newbie question

Options
  • 03-02-2020 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I just signed up for a 1 TB onedrive package. I've installed it fully.

I see only certain fodlers are being backed up to the cloud like documents, pictures etc. When I try to add another folder to backup to Onedrive folder - like 'my websites' work folder - (huge files 300gig+) - It seems to copy these files already on my PC to my C drive Onedrive folder...

Is there any way to select an exisitng fodler on a non system drive to backup to the coud without duplciating the files on my PC?

Thanks...

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Sounds like your 'my websites is on another drive, right? Do you just want to back them up once, or keep the folder in sync?

If you want to back it up once, then upload the files via a web client; if you want to keep them in sync, then the files/folders will need to be under the OneDrive folder in Explorer. An easy solution to that might be to change the default location of the folder to be the drive that has teh 'my websites' and that way you won't have to copy them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Many thanks!

Hi,

So I moved my "Websites" folder - 300 gig to my OneDrive folder in my C drive but after 3 days, no activity of upload of the entire fodler directory and the OneDrive live folder shows the website folder but very small in size..? Very little has uploaded?

Edit - see below screens

1.jpg

2.jpg

The little twisty icon indicates the upload/sync is taking place - 300Gb is a lot of data to upload, what kind of internet connection have you? (It may not show online until everything has been uploaded)

Spocker wrote: »
    The little twisty icon indicates the upload/sync is taking place - 300Gb is a lot of data to upload, what kind of internet connection have you? (It may not show online until everything has been uploaded)

Its been 4 days and Ive a super fast line. Also - I've had this popup for 2 days and even if I rename as it suggeest - it stays, I've deleated the entire folder where this file was and still no upload... Seems to be in a loop...

5.jpg

• Advertisement

Can you login to the service via a browser? Are the folders 'Family Photos' and Pictures already uploaded?

Hi, See below. You can see capacity is still very low. you are right the family photo archive is very big also and only 900 meg uploaded...?!!

I also placed Onedrive on my phone to upload photos and no directory there. Just checked and it says uploads paused because out of wifi and I'm sitting beside the home router. I've a high speed line with Virgin. Its been a very poor user experience so far.

7.jpg

Is there a setting perhaps that throttles the upload? Your next best bet might me to engage with Microsoft support directly, you are paying for the product, so they should be able to help you out

Spocker wrote: »
    Is there a setting perhaps that throttles the upload? Your next best bet might me to engage with Microsoft support directly, you are paying for the product, so they should be able to help you out

Agreed - I've already started a ticket. They are trying to resolve. Thanks for all the help here. I'll post the solution for reference.

Advertisement