Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda fitness test coming up, need help on the beep test!

Options
  • 06-02-2020 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I thought I'd ask here as ye seem to know what ye're at!

I applied for the guards awhile back and I've just passed my interview.
    I also jumped a lot of places in my Order of Merit so unfortunately for me the next stage is sooner than expected, it's the fitness test.

There's 2 main parts with sub-sections.
    I'm a 22 year old male so here are my requirements (they vary).

Sit Ups 1 Minute - 35.
    Press Ups (Not timed, but you apparently have to hold the position) - 25
    Beep Test 8.8

The other part is an obstacle course and a push pull test.

3 20 seconds on obstacle and 25kg (or 22.5kg if you do the obstacle course under 3 mins) for 20 seconds.

I'm mainly worried about the beep test, I always avoided them in school.

I went out into the back garden and gave it a go, I got 5 (probably could have pushed to 5.2 or so but that's it), it's not great.. I didn't do anything before hand, I just got up off the couch, measured roughly 20M and used an app..

How can I best improve my beep test result in say a month?
    Is it realistic to go from 5 to 8.8 in a month?
    I'm not overweight or carrying any injuries, I just haven't been involved in sports in far too long.
    I'm also slightly asthmatic, but that goes away with improved fitness..

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

8.8 should be easy for a young buck of 22 years.

You could investigate if there is some get out or a lower score that you could get away with for your asthma. They cannot discriminate against you for having a disability like that and they must make a reasonable accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

8.8 should be easy for a young buck of 22 years.

You could investigate if there is some get out or a lower score that you could get away with for your asthma. They cannot discriminate against you for having a disability like that and they must make a reasonable accommodation.

They can and they should, I wouldn't want to get in with a disclaimer, if I can't do it I can't.

I played wing in soccer for years, I could go full sprint for the whole match, end to end and I'd go for a kick about afterwards.. asthma only really affects me when I'm unfit, like now.

What's my best approach, just do the beep test multiple times a day?

We've an elliptical in the shed, should I be doing some HIIT stuff on that too?

I flew the push ups and sit ups, it's only the beep test that's got me worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Do a few runs of the beep test and do a lot of HIIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

MrMiata wrote: »

Any advice?

Just practice the beep test. No need to complicate things as long as you can keep improving your score by just doing that.

8.8 is by no means elite levels of fitness so you'll get there soon enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They cannot discriminate against you for having a disability like that and they must make a reasonable accommodation.
    Holding him to the same standard as everyone else isn't discrimination.
    Discrimination would be treating him different, like excluding him from attempting.

• Advertisement

Cill94 wrote: »
    Just practice the beep test. No need to complicate things as long as you can keep improving your score by just doing that.

8.8 is by no means elite levels of fitness so you'll get there soon enough!

Realistically will I get there in a month?

It's both sides of it that's affecting me, my legs end up feeling like jelly and my chest starts at me.

What should I be doing, just the beep test multiple times a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

The secret to the beep test is learning how to do quick and efficient turns. I would say doing same in your back garden on grass might slow you down a bit. I would suggest train by doing the twice a week for specifics and supplement with stamina training such as jogging into a moderate run and high intensity run. include some sprints during the run. You will make significant gains in one month

P2C wrote: »
    The secret to the beep test is learning how to do quick and efficient turns. I would say doing same in your back garden on grass might slow you down a bit. I would suggest train by doing the twice a week for specifics and supplement with stamina training such as jogging into a moderate run and high intensity run. include some sprints during the run. You will make significant gains in one month

It's tarmac, I scratched the distances into the tarmac though so the auld pair won't love that.

I went at it there a few minutes ago and I got a 5.5, turns out I was going a metre further than I needed to.

I hope/imagine I'll do better indoors, where I can turn without wacking into a gate or sliding about.

So I'm hoping to get into the local hall and use that a bit to simulate the actual event.
    Will I get much benefit from an elliptical? Maybe some HIIT training on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

MrMiata wrote: »
    Realistically will I get there in a month?

It's both sides of it that's affecting me, my legs end up feeling like jelly and my chest starts at me.

What should I be doing, just the beep test multiple times a day?

I've never trained for the beep test before so I can't say. However the rule of training specificity will always apply.

According to data I've seen, the 8.8 score is average so it's not a huge ask.

https://www.topendsports.com/testing/norms/beep.htm

It will depend on how much you put into sleep and nutrition as well.

I wouldn't do multiple times per day, you'll likely injure yourself and/or burn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bean.Iontach

Hi MrMiata, getting from 5.2 to 8.8 in a beep test in a month is doable but it's going to take a lot of hard work that will probably make you turn green.

I would suggest HIIT training and practicing a beep test twice a week on the days were you don't do any other training. When it comes to HIIT I recommend staying off the machines and doing body weight excerises or joining a class. This will also help in your PCT.

Make sure you take at least a one rest day a week, eat and sleep right and don't forget stretching. When it comes to testing day taper off on the same intensity and volume of the workouts. Don't workout on the day before.

Best of luck :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement