Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aran Island Destination Wedding

• 30-01-2020 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭

I have some friends considering a destination wedding on the Aran Islands. They'd be travelling from the US (first time in Ireland) and bringng their own celebrant. I've been out of Ireland a (*cough*) few decades, so my opinions are probably out of date.

So couple of specific questions:

1. They are looking at a September wedding. What's the likely weather. Is planning an outdoor wedding reasonable ?

2. Any of the cliff tops suitable for a ceremony ? I've told to ask which is the "coolest" :).

3) How walkable is the island ? I assume this also refers to the selection of an outdoor spot for the ceremony (see Q2).

4) What's the Aran Hotel like ? Specifically as a wedding venue ?

5) Any suggestions of the logistics of travel (probably from Shannon).

Anything I missed ? (Weddings not really being my strong point - as I point out to my OH, ours was a learning experience :D)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’ll answer the one I know. Planning an outdoor wedding in Ireland isn’t reasonable in any month really. You could easily get heavy rain even in midsummer and in September, it’s even more likely. You cannot depend on the weather at all.

I went to a UK last summer. It was outdoors but they had a back up planned for if it needed to be indoors. If the couple really dream of an outdoor wedding, Ireland is not the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

First thing, it is their wedding and they can do what makes them happy.

Second thing, think of the guests, travelling distance, staying over and their costs. Just saying.

Contact the hotel you mentioned (if there are guests) and depending on how many are invited see what the capacity is. If more guests than rooms where does everyone else stay? They may be answer a lot of your questions regarding officiants, cliffs, walks, accessibility from Shannon and so on.

Also check if the US Celebrant is recognised here legally.

Weather on the West Coast is very unpredictable even in high Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

I’ll answer the one I know. Planning an outdoor wedding in Ireland isn’t reasonable in any month really. You could easily get heavy rain even in midsummer and in September, it’s even more likely. You cannot depend on the weather at all.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. I'm not sure what the plan-B would be.
    First thing, it is their wedding and they can do what makes them happy.
    Eh …. indeed. Just to be clear, I'm just asking the questions that the couple asked me - I have no role in the decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I attended one in September several years ago. There was a storm, flights were cancelled, people were getting sick on the boats over.
    It was a bit of a palaver to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭pooch90

There is plenty of cool coastal areas with amazing venues that wouldnt entail as much messing as travelling from Shannon to Galway and risking ferries not running etc.
    Just sounds chaotic.

• Advertisement

pooch90 wrote: »
    There is plenty of cool coastal areas with amazing venues that wouldnt entail as much messing as travelling from Shannon to Galway and risking ferries not running etc.
    Just sounds chaotic.

Suggestions for alternatives ?

I'm really surprised at how negative the reactions have been. I was surprised when I was asked about the area but there is a bunch of stuff on the web promoting the islands as a wedding venue (which I think is where the idea came from). I did wonder about all the sunny photos !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I'm sure it's fantastic in good weather (I'm from West Mayo) but getting there alone would be some amount of hassle. If they have never been to Ireland they may have some idealised image of the whole thing. I have heard that the Armada in Spanish Point do a great wedding, that may be more accessible from Shannon and they could always go to the Aran Islands another day for photos? The wedding is possible but it would be a huge undertaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

The islands are mainly old school Catholic. You would find it hard for the locals to let you away with getting married outside the local church. It's been awhile since I was there and they might have changed. You would want to contact someone local first to find out if everyone would be ok with it.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Suggestions for alternatives ?

I'm really surprised at how negative the reactions have been. I was surprised when I was asked about the area but there is a bunch of stuff on the web promoting the islands as a wedding venue (which I think is where the idea came from). I did wonder about all the sunny photos !

The Aran Islands are fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. But getting there is a trek and with wedding accoutrements in tow, it would be a bit stressful. That’s all people are saying.

How about Achill Island? It’s connected to the mainland by a bridge but still very much feels like an island when you’re on it. It’s beautiful. I saw a couple getting their wedding photos taken on a cliff top there with the beach in the background.

mickuhaha wrote: »
    The islands are mainly old school Catholic. You would find it hard for the locals to let you away with getting married outside the local church. It's been awhile since I was there and they might have changed. You would want to contact someone local first to find out if everyone would be ok with it.

I went to the Aran Islands for the first time last year (Inisheer). It seemed far from conservative. The population has increased in the last few years and it's mostly young people moving in. The place had quite an arty feel to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Outdoor wedding venues need to be approved by the registrar. I'm not sure what the story is with having your own solemniser but I imagine they'd still need to declare the intention to marry with a registrar 3 months in advance.

The criteria for an outdoor venue being approved is that you have to have an alternate indoor area ready as a backup incase of bad weather and there needs to be access to toilets at the site. The site also has to be a public place, not private property.

A cliff wedding on the Aran islands would be incredibly windy regardless of whether it rains on the on the day. September is still tourist season, there will be throngs of holiday makers roaming around. I can't imagine the OPW being amenable to closing the likes of Dun Aonghus to facilitate a private wedding.

The crossing can be rough even in summer, Ive been on the ferry to the islands where there was vomit streaked down the side of the boat from everyone on board puking over the side, not a great start to an occasion.

I think a more reasonable alternative would be to choose a coastal hotel in Galway or Clare.

Outdoor wedding venues need to be approved by the registrar. I'm not sure what the story is with having your own solemniser but I imagine they'd still need to declare the intention to marry with a registrar 3 months in advance.

The criteria for an outdoor venue being approved is that you have to have an alternate indoor area ready as a backup incase of bad weather and there needs to be access to toilets at the site. The site also has to be a public place, not private property.

A cliff wedding on the Aran islands would be incredibly windy regardless of whether it rains on the on the day. September is still tourist season, there will be throngs of holiday makers roaming around. I can't imagine the OPW being amenable to closing the likes of Dun Aonghus to facilitate a private wedding.

The crossing can be rough even in summer, Ive been on the ferry to the islands where there was vomit streaked down the side of the boat from everyone on board puking over the side, not a great start to an occasion.

I think a more reasonable alternative would be to choose a coastal hotel in Galway or Clare.

Very good point. I spent an entire Cliffs of Moher boat trip during August with my head in a plastic bag as did most people on the boat. It was absolutely brutal, one of the worst experiences of my life. My stomach wasn’t right for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

So I shoot weddings (I'm a videographer and a photographer) and my Dad is from Inis Mor, so I know the place well from spending Summers out there (and I've shot a few weddings there too)
    I have some friends considering a destination wedding on the Aran Islands. They'd be travelling from the US (first time in Ireland) and bringng their own celebrant. I've been out of Ireland a (*cough*) few decades, so my opinions are probably out of date.

As someone mentioned previously, check that their celebrant would be legally recognized over here. More than likely it's fine, but best to know beforehand so that they can get it sorted if need be.

1. They are looking at a September wedding. What's the likely weather. Is planning an outdoor wedding reasonable ?

From my experience there, Inis Mor is always slightly warmer than the mainland (and I was raised only a 5mins drive from where you get the ferry to go across, not a huge distance!) But at the same time, this is the west of Ireland and September is more likely to be wet and windy. By all means, plan an outdoor wedding, but have a back up so that a call can be made on indoor or outdoor the night before or the morning of.
    2. Any of the cliff tops suitable for a ceremony ? I've told to ask which is the "coolest" :).

I'd be wary of going to the cliff tops at that time of year. Even if the sun is out and it's warm, the wind can be quite strong (cliffs are mostly on the South West side of the island, so they get hit with a strong wind from the Atlantic) Aside from general safety concerns, a bride's veil and women's fascinators would be at risk of taking flight, and guests might not be able to hear what the celebrant is saying either.

There's a small temple ruin that has hosted a few weddings before (including American ones) no roof, but it would give some protection from the wind! It's further away from the hotel though, so you would need to organize transport to get everyone back there.

I'm not sure what channels you would have to go through to use it though. There's a Celtic Monk living on the Island who does wedding Ceremonies all over Ireland, he might be able to help with that aspect of it (http://www.daramolloy.com/) He could also advise them on the cliff side aspect of it (he's done cliff side weddings there)
    3) How walkable is the island ? I assume this also refers to the selection of an outdoor spot for the ceremony (see Q2).

It is and it isn't walkable. As a tourist, walking or cycling is a great way to see the Island; as a wedding guest, you wouldn't want to be doing too much walking (especially if the weather is questionable) Your best bet would be to try and keep things close to Kilronan. That's where the ferry comes in, and it's where the hotel is situated. There are transport options though; a few mini buses can shuttle guests from one spot to another, the bride and groom have often been take around in a horse and cart etc.
    4) What's the Aran Hotel like ? Specifically as a wedding venue ?

As a hotel, it's a good, solid venue. The staff really elevate it though. Niall (the general manager) is fantastic at his job. I've shot two weddings in that hotel and he's always giving 110%, not just for the bride and groom, but for the guests and other suppliers as well. If you have any questions about planning a wedding out there, he's the man to call.
    5) Any suggestions of the logistics of travel (probably from Shannon).

There's a bus that will take you from Shannon to Galway City. Aran Island Ferries have an office in Galway City where you can buy a ticket to get into the Island. They also run a shuttle bus service that will take you from Galway City, out to the Island (the bus leaves Galway City in time to make the ferry. If for any reason it's delayed on the way, the ferry waits for it because they know it's on the way)

You could also hire a car (there's a car park at Ros-a-Mhil pier) but I think the buses are the way to go
    Anything I missed ? (Weddings not really being my strong point - as I point out to my OH, ours was a learning experience :D)

The couple's best bet would be to get in touch with Niall at the Aran Islands Hotel. He can help guide them with any questions they might have.

In terms of things to think about; if they're getting suppliers for the wedding (photo, video, make-up, band etc.) the logistics of getting out there and working there might be a bit awkward.

For myself it's simpler, as the family home is out there and I have access to a car there; but many suppliers would need transport and accommodation; and some might charge extra because they have to stay overnight, meaning they're giving up a second work day the next day.

If the couple do want the cliff side look but it's too windy, they can also get a few photos taken up there after the ceremony. At least then it would just be them and the photographer going up there and not all the guests.

Accommodation used to be awkward for the guests at a wedding because the Island is so popular; but tourism would have died down a bit by September, and the hotel have built a load of beautiful chalets right next to the main building so they should be well covered, as long as the guests all book well in advance.
    mickuhaha wrote: »

You wouldn't find it hard to get married outside of the church at all. The locals are all quite friendly and open and there have been a lot of outdoor/civil/humanist/spiritualist ceremonies taking place there for years.

There are a lot of non-Irish residents living out there (people who came there for a week on holiday years ago, and just never went home because they love the vibe and culture there) so they're a very open and friendly community.

Average-Ro wrote: »
    So I shoot weddings (I'm a videographer and a photographer) and my Dad is from Inis Mor, so I know the place well from spending Summers out there (and I've shot a few weddings there too)

As someone mentioned previously, check that their celebrant would be legally recognized over here. More than likely it's fine, but best to know beforehand so that they can get it sorted if need be.

From my experience there, Inis Mor is always slightly warmer than the mainland (and I was raised only a 5mins drive from where you get the ferry to go across, not a huge distance!) But at the same time, this is the west of Ireland and September is more likely to be wet and windy. By all means, plan an outdoor wedding, but have a back up so that a call can be made on indoor or outdoor the night before or the morning of.

I'd be wary of going to the cliff tops at that time of year. Even if the sun is out and it's warm, the wind can be quite strong (cliffs are mostly on the South West side of the island, so they get hit with a strong wind from the Atlantic) Aside from general safety concerns, a bride's veil and women's fascinators would be at risk of taking flight, and guests might not be able to hear what the celebrant is saying either.

There's a small temple ruin that has hosted a few weddings before (including American ones) no roof, but it would give some protection from the wind! It's further away from the hotel though, so you would need to organize transport to get everyone back there.

I'm not sure what channels you would have to go through to use it though. There's a Celtic Monk living on the Island who does wedding Ceremonies all over Ireland, he might be able to help with that aspect of it (http://www.daramolloy.com/) He could also advise them on the cliff side aspect of it (he's done cliff side weddings there)

It is and it isn't walkable. As a tourist, walking or cycling is a great way to see the Island; as a wedding guest, you wouldn't want to be doing too much walking (especially if the weather is questionable) Your best bet would be to try and keep things close to Kilronan. That's where the ferry comes in, and it's where the hotel is situated. There are transport options though; a few mini buses can shuttle guests from one spot to another, the bride and groom have often been take around in a horse and cart etc.

As a hotel, it's a good, solid venue. The staff really elevate it though. Niall (the general manager) is fantastic at his job. I've shot two weddings in that hotel and he's always giving 110%, not just for the bride and groom, but for the guests and other suppliers as well. If you have any questions about planning a wedding out there, he's the man to call.

There's a bus that will take you from Shannon to Galway City. Aran Island Ferries have an office in Galway City where you can buy a ticket to get into the Island. They also run a shuttle bus service that will take you from Galway City, out to the Island (the bus leaves Galway City in time to make the ferry. If for any reason it's delayed on the way, the ferry waits for it because they know it's on the way)

You could also hire a car (there's a car park at Ros-a-Mhil pier) but I think the buses are the way to go

The couple's best bet would be to get in touch with Niall at the Aran Islands Hotel. He can help guide them with any questions they might have.

In terms of things to think about; if they're getting suppliers for the wedding (photo, video, make-up, band etc.) the logistics of getting out there and working there might be a bit awkward.

For myself it's simpler, as the family home is out there and I have access to a car there; but many suppliers would need transport and accommodation; and some might charge extra because they have to stay overnight, meaning they're giving up a second work day the next day.

If the couple do want the cliff side look but it's too windy, they can also get a few photos taken up there after the ceremony. At least then it would just be them and the photographer going up there and not all the guests.

Accommodation used to be awkward for the guests at a wedding because the Island is so popular; but tourism would have died down a bit by September, and the hotel have built a load of beautiful chalets right next to the main building so they should be well covered, as long as the guests all book well in advance.

You wouldn't find it hard to get married outside of the church at all. The locals are all quite friendly and open and there have been a lot of outdoor/civil/humanist/spiritualist ceremonies taking place there for years.

There are a lot of non-Irish residents living out there (people who came there for a week on holiday years ago, and just never went home because they love the vibe and culture there) so they're a very open and friendly community.

Cheers. That's really useful. I'll pass that on in it's entirety.

Advertisement