Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flight 752

• 08-01-2020 7:22pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭

First off RIP to all the deceased and regards to their families. Very tragic event.

The flight took off from Tehran, Iran and was due to land in Kyiv, Ukraine.
    It crashed shortly after take off.

The timing is certainly alarming for sure. The day after missile attacks on US bases, a few days after the drone strike of Solimani.

Lots to discuss, what I'm wondering is, and maybe there is a very valid reason, but why so many Canadians (63) on such a far flung flight. Surely more than a coincidence?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

As regards why so many Canadians, I'd imagine they were getting the fluck outta dodge

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shedidnt

Well as I was rudely told on the Aviation forum, they all hold dual citizenships (because they've researched them and stuff).

I asked the same question btw. I don't think it's a conspiracy, I think they took out the plane.

Some genius suggested that it might have been an unrecognised plane flying in Iranian airspace. When I pointed out that the plane was minutes after take off from an airport in Tehran, I was banned lol.

Why they took out the plane is the question.

The Ukraine has requested a criminal investigation - not just an investigation.

The Iranians are refusing to hand the black box over to Boeing.

Apparently, it just went off the radar - like magic! With 63 Canadian citizens on board. They wouldn't know they were Canadian citizens unless they're simply looking at the passports used.

Why does an Iranian want to fly to Kyiv? Surely it's en route somewhere. I'd love to know where the 63 Canadians' end destination was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Maybe the flights were:
    Tehran, Kyiv, Frankfurt or London, Canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,765 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Shedidnt wrote: »
    Why does an Iranian want to fly to Kyiv? Surely it's en route somewhere. I'd love to know where the 63 Canadians' end destination was.

They were flying to Canada (two leg journey I believe going through Ukraine) As for the Canadians on board, likely they were Iranian-Canadian academics, students and families who were going home after the holidays (and some delays)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-63-canadians-among-those-killed-after-ukrainian-airliner-crashes-in/

Also, apparently the plane was experiencing an issue as it took off and had a fire, it tried to turn around reportedly (still early stages so nothing certain yet)
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51044996

The US (and Iraq) now suspect plane was shot down.

I just saw that. They are considering that maybe it was shot down accidentally by a surface to air missile.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/missile-attack-collision-engine-explosion-terrorism-ukraine-investigating-possible-causes-of-iran-crash

Very sad for the families involved.

If this turns out to be an accident, as a result of heightened tensions in the area, can we reasonably say Trump is at least partially to blame? Does he now have these innocent victim's blood on his hands?
    I mean, it's pretty widely accepted that he conducted the drone strike in Iraq to provoke Iran into, or close to, war in an effort to get reelected. Something he predicted Obama of doing some 8 and 9 years ago.

• Advertisement

If the Iranians have shot it down, then indeed it looks accidental, and related to recent heightened tensions. Just after their strikes so it's very likely their air defences were on the highest level of alert (i.e. the least amount of circuit breakers to stop a launch) and if the transponder on the plane wasn't functioning correctly (or was turned off) then a nervous team might have mistaken it for a hostile aircraft.

*if the transponder on the plane wasn't functioning correctly (or was turned off)*

Where are you getting this notion from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

iamstop wrote: »
    If this turns out to be an accident, as a result of heightened tensions in the area, can we reasonably say Trump is at least partially to blame? Does he now have these innocent victim's blood on his hands?
    I mean, it's pretty widely accepted that he conducted the drone strike in Iraq to provoke Iran into, or close to, war in an effort to get reelected. Something he predicted Obama of doing some 8 and 9 years ago.

Or just blame Iran, they’re poking around in various conflicts and now they may have royally messed up. Might explain why they backed down.

Shedidnt wrote: »
    *if the transponder on the plane wasn't functioning correctly (or was turned off)*

Where are you getting this notion from?

Aviation forums speculation. If there could have been a tech problem with the IFF (identification friend foe) transponder system on the plane. That plus a super jumpy Iranian anti-aircraft missile battery.

Crude video here also
    https://twitter.com/Roman_012/status/1215335999997448195

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Canada too: Evidence suggests missile downed jet - Trudeau

Not a CT, simply high-probability, in all likelyhood that IRN took it down by accident.
    TV News this am even said Sats recorded two radar lock-on signals before it crashed.

Canadian CEO calling out Trump

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51095769

Kinda my thoughts too. As I posted earlier.

Canadian CEO calling out Trump

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51095769

Kinda my thoughts too. As I posted earlier.

Iran did fire the missile (something their used to).

Ipso wrote: »
    Iran did fire the missile (something their used to).

Agreed, but the missile would not have been fired (by accident) if the tensions had not been ratcheted up in the region due to the drone bombing of Suleimani a few days prior. Apparently called for for political means.

Agreed, but the missile would not have been fired (by accident) if the tensions had not been ratcheted up in the region due to the drone bombing of Suleimani a few days prior. Apparently called for for political means.

Which was in reply to an attack on the US embassy. The US retaliation was kicking a hornet nest, but are Iran the only people allowed to retaliate?

Which was in reply to an attack on the US embassy. The US retaliation was kicking a hornet nest, but are Iran the only people allowed to retaliate?

To try and give some context to it. Trump signed off on Soleimani 7 months ago. He justified the recent strike against Soleimani by claiming that the general was preparing an "imminent attack" against up to four embassies (Trump said this to Fox news)

But congress have stated they weren't told of that threat. The secretary of defense also confirmed he didn't see any evidence of that threat either.

So this Canadian businessman is calling bull**** on it. He's claiming the attack on Soleimani was a blatant political textbook attempt to divert attention. There have been several other stories and leaks that also hint in that regard, including a recent admittance by Trump himself.

And this Canadian businessman is pissed, because he feels that the Iranians accidentally shooting down that airliner full of Canadian-Iranian civilians is collateral damage for all these Trump political shenanigans (the sudden assassination of Soleimani)

Here's a recent article highlighting Trumps not-too-subtle politics on the matter
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/trump-soleimani-gop-hawks-impeachment-trial-mar-a-lago_n_5e1a59f3c5b650c621df8fa4?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9vbGQucmVkZGl0LmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAK0wjVXpOZbSA58OhKhnE35XwFO62NUb9jrv3jn3X5ucOpHjbhriWriD6X4xIKQSuMQjsjpjRzlpqzfIdXrZAukMMLwhiGCh48TyDQld8pvZhACWbTInm_yNn3D8yUq_s5cu-KyIXDZKxsZJk7fG_K_SkrRi38QLnDRt1u4m3ieL

• Advertisement

I'm not condoning Trump's policy for one minute, I can see it also being about a distraction from the impeachment proceedings. Then there's the sudden trust in the deep state intelligence, Pence's tweet about Iran helping the 9-11 hijackers (there must be some mental gymnastics in the CT community over that one).
    Iran fired the missile and have been involved in Iraqi violence (not to mention Yemen) for ages, Iran f***ed up end of story. If they had hit a military target they'd be cheering, do they really think they can have proxies attack US embassies and not have push back? Let's face it, we're not dealing with normal people here. These are the people who sentence people to death for writing books they don't like.

I'm not condoning Trump's policy for one minute

Pence's tweet about Iran helping the 9-11 hijackers (there must be some mental gymnastics in the CT community over that one).

We're not dealing with normal people here.

Agreed.

I'm not condoning Trump's policy for one minute, I can see it also being about a distraction from the impeachment proceedings. Then there's the sudden trust in the deep state intelligence, Pence's tweet about Iran helping the 9-11 hijackers (there must be some mental gymnastics in the CT community over that one).
    Iran fired the missile and have been involved in Iraqi violence (not to mention Yemen) for ages, Iran f***ed up end of story. If they had hit a military target they'd be cheering, do they really think they can have proxies attack US embassies and not have push back? Let's face it, we're not dealing with normal people here. These are the people who sentence people to death for writing books they don't like.

Yeah I agree, I have no sympathies for the Iranian regime (only the Iranians themselves). However the global priority and focus has been a non-nuclear Iran, Trump just seems to have ripped that up and is riffing foreign policy, which seems to be more tied to his bull**** than effective regional policy

Anyway, no conspiracy with the plane, but conspiracy forums are still going batshiat over the event, coming up with all sorts of theories, mostly involving Ze Jews of course

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Yeah I agree, I have no sympathies for the Iranian regime (only the Iranians themselves). However the global priority and focus has been a non-nuclear Iran, Trump just seems to have ripped that up and is riffing foreign policy, which seems to be more tied to his bull**** than effective regional policy

Anyway, no conspiracy with the plane, but conspiracy forums are still going batshiat over the event, coming up with all sorts of theories, mostly involving Ze Jews of course

Plus Trump's policies also seem to be as much a reversal of Obama's than anything, is there such a thing as spiteful policy?
    The long game of peaceful regime change is better, sanctions didn't really work on Cuba or Iraq.
    Of course I forgot to mention his brown nosing of the Saudis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Pence's tweet about Iran helping the 9-11 hijackers (there must be some mental gymnastics in the CT community over that one).

9/11 hijackers are attached to every state in the middle east. Pence claims 10 of them were helped by Iran. Like to receive the intelligence on that, and what kind of network we dealing with here? It would be unusual if Sunni Islamists were working with Shia governments to do 9/11, when they are on opposite teams? Then again Iran enemy was Iraq and you just never know what moves are happening behind the scenes. There no uncertainty- the 9/11 hijackers were met by Saudi government agents and officials when they travelled to the United States, and they were not small timers who contacted them, the Saudis were movers and shakers of the Saudi elite. Fact the Saudis knew the hijackers, they mostly likely had full operational awareness of what was about to happen on 9/11 and did not tell the United States or did they?

Advertisement